alphomegait

Fast Food in the UK

Trees falling, smoke rising...the occasional troll...yeah, I'm in Isengard, I think. I'd rather be in the Brecon Beacons!:D

i wish we had the food that is on diner dives and drive ins that is on food network the american food looks lovely although it is a heart attack waiting to happen. it would be nice if we had a proper american diner i dont like fridays, frankie and bennys etc. we are going on the independence so hoping to try johnny rockets hope this will be genuine american food. with regards to chippy alley in cardiff not a great place at night but dorothys is a good chip shop.

I've never been happy to eat KFC since, about 1980, apparently the KFC in Crawley was prosecuted for serving Kentucky Fried Alsation.

Not a big fan of McDs, although I have been know to succumb when desperate for something approaching savoury food. I will have the occasional Burger King, but only when I'm some distance from home, as we don't have one here!

Not been to Subway in the UK, but DS is a big fan.

My favourite 'fast food' joints, although not terribly fast, are the OK Diners we sometimes frequent on long trips down the A1 (eg driving down to the Channel Tunnel from North Yorkshire, there is one somewhere in the vicinity of Peterborough) and it is a bit of a naughty treat rather than the refuelling chore at most service stations on the motorway.

I think one of the worst meals I've ever had was in Wendy's, so I'm happy they haven't made it over the pond.

Now, if we were talking IHOP or Friendly's that would be the business! And rumour has it there are many bits of the country (other than here) where you can get Krispy Kreme donuts ...

I've never been happy to eat KFC since, about 1980, apparently the KFC in Crawley was prosecuted for serving Kentucky Fried Alsation.

Not a big fan of McDs, although I have been know to succumb when desperate for something approaching savoury food. I will have the occasional Burger King, but only when I'm some distance from home, as we don't have one here!

Not been to Subway in the UK, but DS is a big fan.

My favourite 'fast food' joints, although not terribly fast, are the OK Diners we sometimes frequent on long trips down the A1 (eg driving down to the Channel Tunnel from North Yorkshire, there is one somewhere in the vicinity of Peterborough) and it is a bit of a naughty treat rather than the refuelling chore at most service stations on the motorway.

I think one of the worst meals I've ever had was in Wendy's, so I'm happy they haven't made it over the pond.

Now, if we were talking IHOP or Friendly's that would be the business! And rumour has it there are many bits of the country (other than here) where you can get Krispy Kreme donuts ...

You can get these is Cardiff now, people were queueing overnight!!!!:eek::eek::eek: for the opening. These and Dunkin Donuts are probably the most foul food ever made IMO.

Aaaah...Nando's-much nicer than KFC.

Nando's was started in South Africa where they are far bigger than here in the UK. KFC is also big in South Africa along with Wimpy.

I think Wimpy is now owned by a South African Company

I think Wimpy is now owned by a South African Company

When I was young, Wimpy was the only fast food place, other than fish and chips or beans on toast in cafes. There were a lot of Cypriot coffee bars opening up, which we thought were very classy. The filling in the bread rolls oozed out of the sides, but inside was just lettuce.....:(.

Real coffee, though, from a vast machine which hissed....:)

Jo.

Mc D's seem to be much more consistent than KFC. They are both franchises of course but I suspect that Ron is much more in control than The Colonel. I have not found a bad Subway yet.

When my sister toured in America she found Wendy's to be the best - although she and her husband happily shared one meal between the two of them.

Edited by Bob++

There's a Subway in our local town....I haven't noticed that the nearby Greggs has lost its queues, though!

Jo.

There's a Subway in our local town....I haven't noticed that the nearby Greggs has lost its queues, though!

Jo.

there are two subways in kilmarnock and two greggs, never seen big queues at any of the subways but nearly always queues at both greggs.

Cant beat a sausage roll from greggs

And now there won't be any VAT on them! The Nasty Pasty tax has been resolved....:D :rolleyes:

Jo.

One wonders how many weeks those big kebab things go round and round for, if business is slow. Ye Gods !

kebabs are normally eaten after a good nite in the pub,by that time you dont really care ;):D:)

I'm not sure how this thread got resurrected after 18 months or so in the grave, but it definitely seems to be showing signs of life.

Just no one mention delicacies such as deep-fried Mars bars / Bounties etc ....

We had a day on a HAL ship, at South Queensferry, along with quite a few forum friends. One of them took a photo of a S.Q chippy, which was offering battered Mars bars. HAL had fed us too well to try one, though....:rolleyes:

I'm not sure how this thread got resurrected after 18 months or so in the grave, but it definitely seems to be showing signs of life.

Just no one mention delicacies such as deep-fried Mars bars / Bounties etc ....

I plead guilty to re birthing this thread, I am already transported to the Colonies, so just a kick up the backside will do. LOL.

I am just getting my taste buds in order to savor some UK Fast Food next year, have mercy on my stomach.

Edited by NSWP

SUbway is really nice, and you can't beat a pasty from Greggs now and again. Apart from that, I try to stay away from the fast food, just because of how unhealthy and greasy it is. Also, who knows what goes in there...

Thankfully, UK fast food now includes Mexican burrito bars (at least, they are fairly widespread throughout London).

When I moved to London from Texas 13 years ago, a friend's mother said to me that the biggest reason that she could never move to London was that she couldn't live without Mexican food. Now, her objection has been removed!

Edited by LipBalmAddict

Thankfully, UK fast food now includes Mexican burrito bars (at least, they are fairly widespread throughout London).

When I moved to London from Texas 13 years ago, a friend's mother said to me that the biggest reason that she could never move to London was that she couldn't live without Mexican food. Now, her objection has been removed!

There's a great burrito bar at Victoria railway station, called Mi Casa.

Still thinking about scraps! Wonder if my husband will make me some for my tea.

Scraps for tea? Please explain !! Scraps is what we put in the garbage bin or give to the Labrador.

Edited by NSWP

Hi Les

Scraps are, I suppose, a byproduct from when you deep fry a fish that is coated in batter. Parts of the batter break off and float in the hot fat. This would be scooped out and put in the hot cabinet with the battered fish where it would dry all nice and crispy.

When I was a child, we used to go to the fish and chip shop of a Friday. Mum and dad would get fish and chips and us kids would always ask for chips and scraps. Sometimes there would be a bit of fish in the scrap if you were very lucky!!!

Its funny when you look back at the stuff you used to eat - sugar sandwiches, scraps, lard just put on the bread - full fat everything - yet none of us were sick or fat!

Its funny when you look back at the stuff you used to eat - sugar sandwiches, scraps, lard just put on the bread - full fat everything - yet none of us were sick or fat!

Same here (with my generation), but my generation didn't have video games and as much on offer on telly. We went outside and roller skated, swam and rode bikes for several hours a day.

Hi Les

Scraps are, I suppose, a byproduct from when you deep fry a fish that is coated in batter. Parts of the batter break off and float in the hot fat. This would be scooped out and put in the hot cabinet with the battered fish where it would dry all nice and crispy.

When I was a child, we used to go to the fish and chip shop of a Friday. Mum and dad would get fish and chips and us kids would always ask for chips and scraps. Sometimes there would be a bit of fish in the scrap if you were very lucky!!!

Thanks for that..I think I remember those as 'Batter Bits.' Yes and bread and dripping. No wonder I need those Cholestorol pills these days, or is it too many hits of ye olde cheese board on the ships?

Merry Christmas, stay warm there, a balmy 28C here.

Edited by NSWP

Thanks for that..I think I remember those as 'Batter Bits.' Yes and bread and dripping. No wonder I need those Cholestorol pills these days, or is it too many hits of ye olde cheese board on the ships?

Merry Christmas, stay warm there, a balmy 28C here.

Hello from 'Old' South Wales, and you had to rub it in about the weather.......Actually we're having quite a mild December, so far still in double figures at 12C, and we have seemed to miss all the recent storms the UK's experienced this last month or too....:):)

Hello from 'Old' South Wales, and you had to rub it in about the weather.......Actually we're having quite a mild December, so far still in double figures at 12C, and we have seemed to miss all the recent storms the UK's experienced this last month or too....:):)

12C, a heatwave dave ! Oh and the cricket, you Welsh mob don't support the England team do you? LOL. It is all over red rover.

Now now boys!!! We all have our cross to bear!

My husband is a Man United supporter - that's his great tragedy :D

12C, a heatwave dave ! Oh and the cricket, you Welsh mob don't support the England team do you? LOL. It is all over red rover.

Les

I'm English, just happen to live in Wales....The England cricket team, is actually England & Wales, there have been numerous Welsh players over the years a couple are Robert Croft, Martin Maynard and most recently Eoin Morgan. The ECB is actually the English and Welsh Cricket Board. But as Wales is a principality of England and not a country then nobody ever gives the full title.

Now now boys!!! We all have our cross to bear!

My husband is a Man United supporter - that's his great tragedy :D

That's a shame, how's he taking their amazing fall from glory....:D:D:D

Edited by newport dave

Les

I'm English, just happen to live in Wales....The England cricket team, is actually England & Wales, there have been numerous Welsh players over the years a couple are Robert Croft, Martin Maynard and most recently Eoin Morgan. The ECB is actually the English and Welsh Cricket Board. But as Wales is a principality of England and not a country then nobody ever gives the full title.

Thanks, one learns something new every day.