Crystal v. Seabourn

Amalek

Hello!

I can follow with the cons:

- there was no deck bbq (this is the highlight on every seabourn cruise - and is really amazing)

- I havn't seen mineral water bootles for the passengers that are going off the ship (maybe i had to ask for)

- There was no questionaire after a few days if everthing is ok

- there was no dock for the iphone

- I wasn't asked from our cabin stewardess if everything is ok

- I checked in on the 1st of august and found a confirmation for a lecture on the 28th of july. How should I do that?

- There was no suprise on the bed after diner - like roses in the bathroom or a picture of me and my wife at check-in in a ship made of paper

- etc

maybe chrystal is the wrong product for me.

best wishes

stefan

No cruise line is right for everyone. Good thing because it would be awfully crowded. I agree with some of your observations, disagree with others, and find a couple of them puzzling, but I do, however, think you are seriously incorrect in suggesting any luxury line compares to Azamara. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thanks for sharing yours.

hello!

I am on the serenity and disembarking tomorrow in rome. In my opinion the serenity is a good premium product but not a luxury ship as seabourn. I few cons:

- no friendly welcome at check-in

- no welcome chamagne or other drinks at check-in

- no welcome chamagne or cannapes in the room at check-in

- no flowers in the rooms

- no premium products like Molton Brown

- no poolbar

- small staterooms

- you have to ask for every drink. No one is coming offering you a cocktail, sorbet, without asking for a special drink

- etc

It is a very good ship (you can compare it with azamara) but not a luxury ship like seabourn.

best wishes

stefan

Different strokes for different folks......I haven't yet sailed Crystal, but some of the things you mentioned are pros, in my opinion, not cons:

-- no welcome chamagne or other drinks at check-in

-- you have to ask for every drink. No one is coming offering you a cocktail, sorbet, without asking for a special drink

--no welcome chamagne or cannapes in the room at check-in

calliopecruiser - I hope you enjoy your first Crystal cruise.

A few thoughts. Crystal treats their guests as adults. If you need something just ask the nearest crew member and they will either get what you need or help you find the person who can best help you. The crew is engaging but not overbearing. For example, there are usually six crew members (part of the rotating Lido/Trident staff) who are at the pool from before 8 AM till late to get you any food or drinks - just nod or ask one as they pass. Once you engage them with you likes and needs, you can expect them to check back when they see a drink empty.

The Austrian Hotel Directors on each ship are always accessible, helpful and appreciate your comments - pro or con. Introduce yourself, mention you are a first time Crystal cruiser and he will remember you. Josef and Christain are the Serenity's HDs.

And as a last resort, ask your fellow passengers. Many have been frequent Crystal cruisers, know who can help or what you might ask for as a special treat. We always introduce our STEX guests to the CD, HD, Excursion manager and a few other key players.

As others mention, you have choices and we find the Crystal staff and crew work hard to keep us happy. We consider Crystal a floating Disney World for adults - "where dreams come true".

And there is always bottled water available at near security when you exit the ship and mineral water available in your mini-frig. You can also pick up a bottle at breakfast by asking.

I have to use a walker or a cane the last few cruises. The new seabourn ships do not have automatic doors they took them out of service. On the the small ships there was always a man to open a door for you. The rails on the new ships do not run together. There are big blanks in the halls. I like the small ships much better but they need a major overhaul. But as I said before the talk is that they are up for sale. Have you ever gone on the INTERNET of both cruise lines and look up a cruise and see what information it gives you? Crystal wins hands down. Have you ever seen the question air at the end of the cruise. Crystal hands down. I have take to the group at Seabourn about the issues that I just mentioned. I was put on hold and guess what I was listening at a commercial about Holland America.

With all said both run good ships but Crystal in my mind is better. I have cruised better that 200 days on Seabourn and 150 days on Crystal

In the end, the only opinion that counts is your very own.

There are some who will favor Seabourn over Crystal.

There are some who will favor Crystal over Seabourn.

There are others who will enjoy both cruise lines.

And there are still others who will enjoy some other cruise line.

The same goes for most other things in life. For example, which is better Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton? Or which is better Lexus, BMW or Mercedes?

Answer: It depends on your personal preferences.

Those of us who can cruise let along go on a luxury lines are very fortunate. I am just thankful that all of the cruise lines are not clones of one another because if they were and we all liked precisely the same things then this would be a very boring world.

Just accept the fact that if you take fifty people you will not reach consensus on any one item. And also accept the fact that there is no right or wrong on this. And that what one person sees as a positive someone else may see as a negative such as:

A 200 or 450 passenger ship relative to a 900 or a 1000 passenger ship.

Or one particular bathroom amenity versus another product.

Keith

A very important qualification. The flowers in the MDR on Seabourn are not plastic, they are silk!

In the end, they are both great lines. People should choose the one that suites them best without denigrating the other.

A very important qualification. The flowers in the MDR on Seabourn are not plastic, they are silk!

In the end, they are both great lines. People should choose the one that suites them best without denigrating the other.

Thanks for the very "important qualification." My point was that the MDR flowers on Seabourn are not real flowers.

I have been on the Seabourn Odyssey and yes, they change drinks and have a special daquiri or pina collada or something revolving every hour or so that waiters walk around and offer to you. It was nice having the open air pool bars but the pool area itself was much smaller than on Crystal. As we are light drinkers the drinks that they passed out added little to our cruise.

The cabins are certainly a little larger and nicer on the Sojourn and Odyssey, but we like the Crystal ships so much more. Seabourn square was neat, but you have to wait in line at a counter to order your coffee or pastries, where on Crystal waiters in the wonderful Bistro bring cappucinos, etc. to your table while you help yourself to pastries, cheeses, and fruits and meats. On Crystal there are nice, large public restrooms all over the ship. On the Odyssey the restrooms were fewer, smaller and not well located. The Aveda bath products in the cabins on Crystal are very good and the Elemis products in the public restrooms are superb.

We found the food and especially the service wanting in the main dining room on the Odyssey and frankly, I did not really like the colorless look of the room. Nothing there compares to Silk Road or Prego, and for that matter the breakfast buffet had about half as many items as on Crystal, was much less attractive, and you had to toast your own pale little English muffin, Fairfield Inn style. On Crystal a friendly fellow toasts me a fresh bagel each morning. The entertainment is certainly much more elaborate on Crystal.

Last but certainly not least, the Lido/Trident guys are the most wonderful men at sea, and with their thoughtful, caring attitudes, maybe Crystal's finest asset. Throw in the headwaiters and maitre d's and, in my opinion, you have the best service on any ships at sea. We did not find that on Seabourn.

Seabourn is a fine line I am sure, and I have heard from many aficianados that love Seabourn, but for us, Crystal works the best.

I have been on the Seabourn Odyssey and yes, they change drinks and have a special daquiri or pina collada or something revolving every hour or so that waiters walk around and offer to you. It was nice having the open air pool bars but the pool area itself was much smaller than on Crystal. As we are light drinkers the drinks that they passed out added little to our cruise.

The cabins are certainly a little larger and nicer on the Sojourn and Odyssey, but we like the Crystal ships so much more. Seabourn square was neat, but you have to wait in line at a counter to order your coffee or pastries, where on Crystal waiters in the wonderful Bistro bring cappucinos, etc. to your table while you help yourself to pastries, cheeses, and fruits and meats. On Crystal there are nice, large public restrooms all over the ship. On the Odyssey the restrooms were fewer, smaller and not well located. The Aveda bath products in the cabins on Crystal are very good and the Elemis products in the public restrooms are superb.

We found the food and especially the service wanting in the main dining room on the Odyssey and frankly, I did not really like the colorless look of the room. Nothing there compares to Silk Road or Prego, and for that matter the breakfast buffet had about half as many items as on Crystal, was much less attractive, and you had to toast your own pale little English muffin, Fairfield Inn style. On Crystal a friendly fellow toasts me a fresh bagel each morning. The entertainment is certainly much more elaborate on Crystal.

Last but certainly not least, the Lido/Trident guys are the most wonderful men at sea, and with their thoughtful, caring attitudes, maybe Crystal's finest asset. Throw in the headwaiters and maitre d's and, in my opinion, you have the best service on any ships at sea. We did not find that on Seabourn.

Seabourn is a fine line I am sure, and I have heard from many aficianados that love Seabourn, but for us, Crystal works the best.

Just to defend Seabourn a bit, we think the Colonnade luncheons are better than what is currently being offered in the Lido on Crystal. In the Colonnade they grill fresh fish for lunch, and have a more adventuresome buffet. Crystal's Lido seems to present the same items at the buffet each day, so we often go to the Trident Grill for salmon burgers which we love. Unfortunately there is no Tastes on the Crystal Symphony. We agree that there is nothing like the Lido guys, but the Colonnade staff are nice and helpful.

We have also had excellent dinners at Restaurant 2 on the Seabourn Sisters, and sitting outside on the aft deck having dinner under the stars is a wonderful experience.

Just to defend Seabourn a bit, we think the Colonnade luncheons are better than what is currently being offered in the Lido on Crystal. In the Colonnade they grill fresh fish for lunch, and have a more adventuresome buffet. Crystal's Lido seems to present the same items at the buffet each day, so we often go to the Trident Grill for salmon burgers which we love. Unfortunately there is no Tastes on the Crystal Symphony. We agree that there is nothing like the Lido guys, but the Colonnade staff are nice and helpful.

We have also had excellent dinners at Restaurant 2 on the Seabourn Sisters, and sitting outside on the aft deck having dinner under the stars is a wonderful experience.

I agree that the outside venues on Seabourn, including at Colonnade, and the pool bars are very nice, and I also agree that the Lido lunch buffets are unexciting, and while my wife usually gets a salad there, I prefer, like you, to get something from the Trident grill. We did not eat at Restaurant 2, so I cannot judge that one. We found that the servers and service at Colonnade were nice, but nothing special.

I did not mean to put down Seabourn, and I know how many people are very satisfied with it, but I thought that the fellow was a little harsh in his description of Crystal, and therefore wanted to give my own impression of the comparison of the two lines.

I agree that the outside venues on Seabourn, including at Colonnade, and the pool bars are very nice, and I also agree that the Lido lunch buffets are unexciting, and while my wife usually gets a salad there, I prefer, like you, to get something from the Trident grill. We did not eat at Restaurant 2, so I cannot judge that one. We found that the servers and service at Colonnade were nice, but nothing special.

I did not mean to put down Seabourn, and I know how many people are very satisfied with it, but I thought that the fellow was a little harsh in his description of Crystal, and therefore wanted to give my own impression of the comparison of the two lines.

I agree this whole business of listing cons about a cruiseline is harsh and out of context. I listed Seabourn cons to counter what another person wrote.

Both Seabourn and Crystal are wonderful cruiselines. We prefer Crystal, but would sail with Seabourn if the cruise offered an itinerary we would like and Crystal wasn't offering.

It's nice to have such choices..

Different strokes for different folks......I haven't yet sailed Crystal, but some of the things you mentioned are pros, in my opinion, not cons:

-- no welcome chamagne or other drinks at check-in

-- you have to ask for every drink. No one is coming offering you a cocktail, sorbet, without asking for a special drink

--no welcome chamagne or cannapes in the room at check-in

I can see (and agree) on no one offering cocktails as a pro, but NO welcome champagne? Why? How would it botter you?

I can see (and agree) on no one offering cocktails as a pro, but NO welcome champagne? Why? How would it botter you?

I don't associate someone offering me drinks with it being a luxury experience, so I certainly don't see it as something missing from a luxury cruise. The only reason it bothers me (a little) is that these sorts of things, like offering cocktails, often involve a lot of waste. Have a glass of champagne upon embarkation if you like, but it certainly isn't a "pro" for me - I'll go to the bar and order a margarita ;)

As a former "Snow Bird" resident of Boca Raton I resemble that remark!!!!!:D:D:D

Before we boarded the Symphony in Miami in 2010 we checked out Palm Beach and Boca, and we found that there were miles between them, both literally and more importantly, figuratively!:cool:

Hi stephan,

I'm confused by your list of shortcomings on the Serenity. I think the bar on the Lido deck would be considered a pool bar, since it is only a few yards from one of the pools. On every cruise that we have been on either Crystal ship, champagne has been served very freely in many public areas on embarkation day. I think many would consider Aveda a premium line of toiletries. My wife and I spend all sea days on lounges taking in the sea views on Lido, and are constantly being offered beverages from 10am till late afternoon. Maybe you were wearing one of those new Harry potter cloaks! (just kidding)

Many years ago when we returned for our second cruise, after almost a year in between, many of the deck stewards remembered our names, and brought our favorite beverages, without even asking! We have been hooked ever since, and now spend more time aboard, than at home.

Before we boarded the Symphony in Miami in 2010 we checked out Palm Beach and Boca, and we found that there were miles between them, both literally and more importantly, figuratively!:cool:

A drive along the east coast of Florida on the A1A is certainly a study in contrasts. Multi-million dollar homes, million dollar condos, everyday suburbia, tourist traps and fleabag hotels and motels all along the way. For all that we still like Florida and don't understand people who hate it. Heck, it's a whole lot warmer than Toronto in February!!:eek::D

We are looking forward to our first Crystal cruise the end of this month, however I certainly think that my two favorite "luxuries" on Seabourne were waiters offering glasses of sorbet in champagne while we were soaking in the sun on deck and being able to have a standing order of caviar delivered to the bar for me every evening at 5:30 to go with my cocktail!! I certainly hope Crystal is the same.

We are looking forward to our first Crystal cruise the end of this month, however I certainly think that my two favorite "luxuries" on Seabourne were waiters offering glasses of sorbet in champagne while we were soaking in the sun on deck and being able to have a standing order of caviar delivered to the bar for me every evening at 5:30 to go with my cocktail!! I certainly hope Crystal is the same.

I'm not certain on either one of these but you can certainly ask. It's not something I actually have asked for on either line.

You can most definitely have a standing order of caviar to your dining room each evening. Just mention that to your head waiter if that is something that you desire and it will be "done". Normally on each evening there will be personnel in the bars (at 5:30 PM) who will come around with canapes each and every evening.

I've sailed Seabourn and frequently Crystal and both are very luxurious experiences. Yes, you may see some things done on one line and not the other and vice versa but in my humble opinion I expect that you will find your first Crystal cruise to be a luxurious experience.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Keith

"I don't associate someone offering me drinks with it being a luxury experience, so I certainly don't see it as something missing from a luxury cruise."

Agreed. Actually I don't like it.

"Have a glass of champagne upon embarkation if you like, but it certainly isn't a "pro" for me"

Not a pro, agreed again

"I'll go to the bar and order a margarita"

I'll take the champagne.

Archived