Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

relliea

Pride review sailing 3/6-3/13

Carnival Pride Info

We just returned Sunday from our Carnival Pride cruise. We sailed her last year as well.

Overall the cruise was very good. We booked this trip the Monday before she sailed so we got a GREAT rate for a balcony. We ended up on the veranda deck port side about a third of the way back. Didn't feel too much motion till the last day sailing north from Cabo. Take your bonine with you.

The food in the dining room was good but not as good as last year. The service on the ship was all excellent. Our waiters and room attendents were wonderful. We didn't do David's this time around since we did it last year but I highly recommend it if you'd enjoy a quiet, relaxing top notch dining experience.

We had great weather, 80+ degrees in all the ports. Since we've been to PV, Mazatlan and Cabo several times in the past we didn't take any tours. We rented a car and went surfing north of PV in a little town called Sayulita. A very nice retreat away from the masses. Mazatlan - we took a pulmonia (sp?) into old town and walked around for a couple hours before riding back to the ship for lunch. After lunch we walked over to the water taxi's and spent the rest of the afternoon at Stone Island. I recommend Letty's on the beach-- great people. For those of you who've never been to Mexcio, the vendors selling their wares can be some what aggressive but I've always found a smile with a 'no gracias' will send them on their way. Keep in mind, they're just trying to make a living. Overall the local people we met were all warm kind hearted people so I was appalled at the way some cruisers treated them. Remember we're visiting their country. Be kind.

The Pride is a beautiful ship, and easy to get around. We spent most of our time lounging on the aft pool deck. This pool is for adults only so it's quieter than the others. This ship has nice spa amenities with its terrific gym, whirlpools, dry and steam saunas--all free.

Take layered clothing with you. The first and last sailing days are cool so a sweatshirt or wind breaker will come in handy if you want to be out on deck. I was so happy I'd packed my REI polar-tech pullover and pants, they kept me toasty warm even with a bitter wind blowing.

We didn't do any shows this time around since we had the late dinner seating. Most nights after dinner we'd go listen to Karaoke in the Starry Night. Very enjoyable. There were a group of super talented teenagers on this sailing who sang some amazing stuff. Plus the social host was an extremely funny guy.

The self serve ice cream, cookies, and that chocolate buffet Saturday afternoon were very popular. The deli turkey sandwiches are great. We did the poolside grill for lunch several days--burgers, chicken sandwiches, sauteed mushrooms and onions, yum..... The food here was very good.

The buffet food didn't look all that appetizing to me. Sort of made me sick seeing such large quantities of food piled high on peoples plates and being consumed in a single sitting. Pace yourselves folks, the food is available 24/7 & I promise you won't starve. <g>

I bought a soda card but wish I hadn't. It really wasn't worth the $44--the free punch and lemonade were just fine.

All in all I'd rate this cruise an 8 -- the major complaint I have is all the loudspeaker announcements selling stuff. It was MUCH worse this year than last. I was happy I'd remembered to bring along a package of spongy Husher Ear Plugs. They saved us when the Cruise director would start screaming his sales pitch (Bingo!, spa services!, gold by the inch!, shopper Kathy's specials!), and also in our room when the neighbors would let their cabin doors slam shut. Recommendation: *****BRING EAR PLUGS*****....

Future Pride cruisers, enjoy the ride. Despite the few annoyances, it's a heavenly way to travel. There's no other place i'd rather be than floating on a cruise ship. This really was a nice trip. Safe sailing to all of you.

Thanks for the review! I'm going to be on the 4/10 sailing and I was wondering about how warm it would be! Now I know.

Could you comment on the embarkation / disembarkation process? Did you have to stand around for hours before getting off?

Thanks,

Art

Art-our Pride disembarkation wasn't any problem at all. We left our stateroom at 8:15 then headed upstairs to Lido deck for a full breakfast on the aft patio.

They started calling "colors" at 9:00 (Red was first I think) and since our flight home wasn't until the next day ours tags (pink) weren't called until 10:30.

We had reading materials to help pass time plus we'd take turns watching our carry ons while the other walked around the ship. The weather was good in Long beach so relaxing outside on deck was great.

Once we got off the ship we found our luggage (very easy) and took a cab over to Avis to pick up a rent a car. Spent the rest of the day up the coast enjoying Venice Beach and Marina del Ray before heading to our LAX hotel. All in all, not a bad day. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Great review and info on the Pride. My family and I sail on the 27th. I'll post my review when I return.

Great review!

We sailed the Pride one week earlier. The weather was great except for the last afternoon when it became a bit windy and cooler. This was probably the smoothest cruise we have ever been on.

After reading some of the stories found here on Cruise Critic concerning embarkation/debarkation on the Pride, we were a little worried. Much to our delight, both surpassed expectations. We arrived in LAX around noon, took the SupperShuttle to the Long Beach pier and were waiting in line by 1:20, in our room on the Pride by 2:15. We had an early flight out of LAX, so we requested early debarkation, which started around 8:15 - we were off the Pride around 8:30 and back at LAX before 9:00!

This was much better than our last two cruises where debarkation took up to 5 hours!!!

RCCL – Grandeur of the Seas – 03/97

RCCL – Monarch of the Seas – 11/97

Carnival Paradise – 01/98

RCCL – Majesty of the Seas – 11/98

Carnival Paradise – 03/99

RCCL – Enchantment of the Seas – 11/99

RCCL – Grandeur of the Seas – 11/00

Regal Princess – 01/01

HAL – Volendam – 03/03

Carnival Paradise – 12/03

NCL Dawn – 11/04

Carnival Pride – 03/05