New HAL smoking policy

Gunther1

Do people think that the general cruise population (as opposed to CC readers/posters) would pick a cruise ship based on their smoking policy ? I personally doubt if most will, as they (smokers) can still smoke on parts of all ships on all lines.

Only time will tell but my gut feeling is that most smokers value the balcony as a last refuge for their smoking habit and HAL now offers that. Since HAL & Princess are very much alike in their style, it only follows that they'll migrate there.

Oh give me a break folks - and yes you can flame away and have fun:p

they have made some progression and they made a new policy and now you'll complain about that too.

You didn't want any risk of smoke in your cabins and now the new policy has forced the few smokers outside. so don't complain about it on the verandahs and don't get out the lysol:p

Some smokers were considerate - didnt' smoke in their cabins, only went out on the verandah when it was very early morning and no one was awake and even asked the people next door if it bothered them

otherwise they went to the Lido. Yes, I am one of those evil people. I don't smoke a lot and yes, I should quit, and yes, I try to be fair to everyone. and yes, as E500 ('Ralph') would attest if he was on, I always went to the Lido for my morning coffee and evil fix. and in the evening.

I didn't choose HAL because it's a 'smoker's ship" - I chose it because I like the ship. but really?

Seriously, HAL makes a move that you have all been looking for and now you're complaining.

I don't think people who smoke will 'flock' to HAL. having a cigarette on the verandah when the ship is moving is no fun. It makes more sense to go to the Lido IMO.:) Considerate smokers are not evil people.

Let the flames begin:eek:

Do people think that the general cruise population (as opposed to CC readers/posters) would pick a cruise ship based on their smoking policy ? I personally doubt if most will, as they (smokers) can still smoke on parts of all ships on all lines.

I don't have a problem with not smoking in cabins. What I have a problem with is not being able to find a comfy spot to smoke (shade, chairs/tables, A/C, etc.)

X lost my business. Permanently.

Princess probably has lost my business as well - will have to see how restrictive it gets. I upgraded on my last Princess to a balcony because my favorite spot had gone non-smoking. It was OUTSIDE on ONE SIDE of the far AFT. Personally, I thought that was the ultimate spot for smokers, and booked aft specifically because of it. Go figure.

Trying HAL for the first time in a couple months, and it may be our line from now on.

Wendy

Some smokers were considerate - didnt' smoke in their cabins, only went out on the verandah when it was very early morning and no one was awake and even asked the people next door if it bothered them

otherwise they went to the Lido. Yes, I am one of those evil people. I don't smoke a lot and yes, I should quit, and yes, I try to be fair to everyone. and yes, as E500 ('Ralph') would attest if he was on, I always went to the Lido for my morning coffee and evil fix. and in the evening.

The problem with your logic is that the smoke on balconies isn't limited from the one next door only. I've had major problems from balconies above & below as well.

"There are selected areas of the outside decks where smoking is allowable. Cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the outside decks." (from the HAL website).

Does this mean that cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the outside decks and not on verandahs?

Great! Wonderful!

The fire hazard in the staterooms is number 1 for me and this is an improvement. I would prefer no smoking on the balconies, too, but I think this will come eventually. Good for HAL!

I agree, smoke free balconies will most likely follow in time. For now the Insurance companies rest easier, soft goods will last longer and the cleaning of cabins will be more efficient and less costly.

It probably will cause more smoking on balconies in the short term, which may cause a backlash in time as more neighbors complain and put a strain on the front desk on board and customer service on shore.

Exactly... HAL will become (if it isn't already) the smoker's line of preference...

B

Why do you say that? Carnival allow cig and cigars on their balconies. It seems more liberal over there.

The problem with your logic is that the smoke on balconies isn't limited from the one next door only. I've had major problems from balconies above & below as well.

and heavy dousing of perfume or cologne pervades the entire elevator and the stairwell;)

I guess HAL likes to make changes with baby steps. So will take maybe one more year before smoking is banned from balconies.

Agreed. The time is coming for those of us who want to breathe clean air and not second hand smoke.

"There are selected areas of the outside decks where smoking is allowable. Cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the outside decks." (from the HAL website).

Does this mean that cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the outside decks and not on verandahs?

That's how I read it. Being an occassional cigar smoker I still like the decision. I can find a spot outdoors and away from living spaces to enjoy my vice. My wife is a cig smoker but would never smoke in the cabin, nor in our home. She may on the veranda but late at night.

Yes, I think some will. I think it is already happening. Some "X" cruisers have moved over to HAL.

Yes. That has happened to us.

I agree, smoke free balconies will most likely follow in time. For now the Insurance companies rest easier, soft goods will last longer and the cleaning of cabins will be more efficient and less costly.

It probably will cause more smoking on balconies in the short term, which may cause a backlash in time as more neighbors complain and put a strain on the front desk on board and customer service on shore.

The time is now along with Princess. They blew it big time, for the meantime, IMO

Why do you say that? Carnival allow cig and cigars on their balconies. It seems more liberal over there.

JMO, but Princess smokers will migrate to HAL rather than Carnival...

As noted by others, there are choices and everyone will let their money do the talking.

B

I have to agree with Sail, I suspect this will drive more smokers to Holland America ...

I guess HAL likes to make changes with baby steps. So will take maybe one more year before smoking is banned from balconies.

I wonder if HAL will continue the end-of-cruise smoking questionaire - if there are more smokers on HAL as a result of this change, won't it skew the results of that survey? OTOH, maybe they've already decided to make the rest of the change and are, as Hondu says, implementing the new policy in baby steps.

Gunther1,

Thank you for posting this news.

We are very disappointed that HAL will continue to allow smoking on balconies.

I agree with you. It almost would be better to allow smoking in the stateroom rather than the verandahs. No smoking in staterooms will be difficult to enforce anyways.

Far too often, I have been on my verandah and have to smell cigarette smoke. To me this is a half solution. Smokers will seek their verandahs even more. I guess Celebrity and other No smoking cruise lines will benefit.

We have a HAL Med cruise scheduled for late October. We chose them because of the itinerary. However, we also have already put down $300 with Celebrity for a future cruise....in part because we like the differences, but also because of their strict No smoking policy. If HAL is reading this...we have sailed 8 times with them and just recently our first with Celebrity.

Good. Does this mean we can now burn our HAL post-cruise smoking questionaire?

as long as you don't do it in the cabin:p and you make sure the smoke doesn't drift from your verandah to a neighbour upstairs, downstairs or beside you;) best do it on the lido in the smoking section:p

Archived