Project Breakaway Pictures Released

crusinmama06

Standard balcony and bathroom design is pretty much a replica to the Celebrity Solstice and OASIS/ALLURE design. Closets are positioned the same way and so are the larger standard bathrooms. The "interconnecting" design is also repeated. Instead of being "wavy" like on EPIC, the design is more angular just like on SOLSTICE/ALLURE/OASIS. Keep in mind that the Solstice Class was also built at Meyer-Werft, and a lot of research was done on this particular cabin design. I guess Royal Caribbean/Celebrity did not place any kind of trademark or patent on it considering this design for Project Breakaway is very similar.

I note the shower on Project Breakaway even features a "shaving bar" for the ladies. This was a feature announced by Celebrity when the "Five Leading Ladies" helped design the cabins.

Can't tell for sure but the NCL version may be slightly more narrow as there is still no coffee table in front of the sofa (like on EPIC), but both the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean design have this feature.

Ernie

Wanna see what the suites will be like--this looks like it's going to be more popular than the Epic!!! Glad they listen to their customers!!!

I suppose this is a pretty good admission on the part of NCL that the EPIC cabin design was pretty much a flop. Some people will defend them to the death, but these new cabin designs on Project Breakaway certainly illustrate that overall EPIC's cabins are not a success.

I think the cabins on Project Breakaway look very nice, but they are far from ground breaking. I've stayed in this cabin design on SOLSTICE and ALLURE OF THE SEAS and it's a great cabin design. Imitation is the best form of flattery as they say.

The one thing people complain about is the closets tend to be very close to the bed or sofa not leaving a lot of room. I think most people prefer the sofa close to the closet instead of the bed.

Having the closet positioned where it is enables the cabin overall to be more narrow, but it does provide a little extra space for the bathroom.

Ernie

I was hoping there was going to be Studio rooms also. Maybe all the info isn't available yet. So far the Studio's seem to have been a major success on the Epic.

Anyone have any info?

thanks.

There will be Studios, and some rumors even mention Studios with balconies, but that hasn't been confirmed. Not sure if there will be an entire Studio Complex like on EPIC, or if there will be just Studio scattered around the ship.

Remember on EPIC the Studios were actually designed as double occupancy cabins. Unfortunately they didn't sell well so NCL switched them over to singles which was a great move. This is one reason the Studios on EPIC have a large bed. It's possible on Project Breakaway the Studios (or single cabins) may have single beds. It would provide more floor space, but perhaps not convenient if you "hook up" with another single. LOL

Ernie

I like the designs. They still maximize space with the interlocking design but without the negatives of the curve...like not being able to separate the beds more than a few inches. I am one of those that prefers the Epic bathroom layout over this, but it's certainly livable.

One thing we can't tell from these drawings is what the bathroom/entry area looks like when the couch is near the entry door. This is the narrow point of the room, and in the other drawing with the bed by the door I can't see how they could still have a full bath, closet and entry with the room a couple of feet narrower.

One thing we can't tell from these drawings is what the bathroom/entry area looks like when the couch is near the entry door. This is the narrow point of the room, and in the other drawing with the bed by the door I can't see how they could still have a full bath, closet and entry with the room a couple of feet narrower.

If the design is the same as the Solstice Class design, which it appears to be, the bathroom entry does not change regardless of where the sofa/bed is situated. The bathroom and main cabin entrance will always be at the widest part of the room.

In the picture below you can see a Solstice Class cabin with the sofa near the closet. As you can see, the intrusion which makes the cabin more narrow does not happen until you are through the main entry of the cabin and past the bathroom. The cabin then becomes wider by the balcony doors where the bed is.

I'm really surprised that NCL basically just copied the RCI/Celebrity design. Even the air conditioning vents are just above the closet doors just like on Solstice and Oasis. It's overall a great design, but I was hoping NCL would come up with something more original. Perhaps keep the wavy design like EPIC but have a traditional style bathroom which is what most people prefer.

Ernie

Celebrity_solstice_cabin_3.jpg

If the design is the same as the Solstice Class design, which it appears to be, the bathroom entry does not change regardless of where the sofa/bed is situated. The bathroom and main cabin entrance will always be at the widest part of the room.

I guess it could be similar to Epic where the entry is the same, but then the room narrows or widens depending on the placement of the bed. This is an easy transition to make when the walls are curved, but I can't really visualize yet with squared off walls like this. In this picture it clearly shows the largest part of the room being by the balcony, so if the entry way stays the same, there is some adjustment made just after the entry way to make it narrower.

NCL-Balcony2.jpg

I can't see in this picture how that restriction would work if that was not the widest part of the room. There's only about a foot of wall next to the closet door that could be eliminated, and that would certainly affect the bathroom (I would think)

NCL-Balcony.jpg

As a point of reference, here are the Epic rooms. The curves make this adjustment easy

2622291670059187889S500x500Q85.jpg

I guess it could be similar to Epic where the entry is the same, but then the room narrows or widens depending on the placement of the bed. This is an easy transition to make when the walls are curved, but I can't really visualize yet with squared off walls like this. In this picture it clearly shows the largest part of the room being by the balcony, so if the entry way stays the same, there is some adjustment made just after the entry way to make it narrower.

This is correct. It would be easier for you to search for diagrams of SOLSTICE and OASIS rather than EPIC. It would give you a better idea of how the interconnecting cabins work.

Ernie

cel_sl_aquaclass_362x276.jpg

Cabins look classy but where will the ship be going??? Was there nothing said about itineraries or home ports?

I would be willing to bet 7-day Caribbean, but itineraries have not been announced yet.

Ernie

Cabins look classy but where will the ship be going??? Was there nothing said about itineraries or home ports?

I wondered the same thing. We are all about the itinerary. Love new ships, but would have to pass it if they are doing the same boring Eastern/Western Caribbean routes.

Looks good so far. Though we didn't mind the design of the Epic cabins, these look to be even better. I found this highlight mildly amusing:

Built-in sink, generous in size with an easy to use faucet

Based on the ship rendering, looks like they kept the two-story courtyard complex. Can't wait to see the rest of the cabin designs and the mix.

I wondered the same thing. We are all about the itinerary. Love new ships, but would have to pass it if they are doing the same boring Eastern/Western Caribbean routes.

It's possible she might do Europe during the Summer and perhaps NCL will keep EPIC on the Caribbean run year round. It's also possible that EPIC could stay in Europe year round if they feel the market is strong enough and the ship is well received. In that case Project Breakaway may be stay in the Caribbean year round?

I think at the very least you can expect Project Breakaway to spend the Winters on the Caribbean run (either alternating Eastern/Western) or pure Eastern or Western if they place EPIC on a pure Eastern or Western run.

Project Breakaway makes her debut in April, right at the beginning of the Europe cruising season. I think it's very likely she will stay in Europe for her first Summer season and reposition to the Caribbean in the Fall.

We should know for certain by October when bookings open.

Ernie

The itinerary won't be announced until nearer to October 2011 when bookings for the 1st Breakaway Ship will commence.:) I hope they don't make us wait that long to tell us where it's going...but they probably will drag it out as long as they can. More announcements will be made on FB after July 4th (more photos of OV cabins, etc)....and then the next webinar is scheduled for July 20th! First sail date is April 13!

Archived