Review on our Alaska Cruise aboard the Radiance

DSC08712.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

we went to the love and marriage show. There were some pretty good contestants up there. Not the best I have seen but definitely entertaining.

We had dinner at Park Cafe. Nothing too exciting, just sustenance. Then, after L&M we went to the pub. Like I stated early, this area is our absolutely favorite area on the other RCCL ships. Just needed a little energy.....still enjoyed it. At one point some friends from the excursion that day walked by and we flagged them down. They joined us for a drink. We either did something really, really fun and didn't take pics of it then or we stated our eternal love and devotion and promised to meet up the next evening. Not really sure, it's kind of a blur but we did meet up the next day so maybe it was the second one. And we are off to bed. Tomorrow is ANOTHER early morning. Good thing the sun is up about 3 hours before we are......actually that's true at home too....hummm.

DSC08715.jpg

You can kind of see the lovely non decorated sitting area outside (but still inside the ship : )) the pub here.

DSC08717.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

Midnight

IMG_0923.jpg

3:14 in the morning

IMG_0395.jpg

Yea, I don't know, some kind of animal, or maybe a slug eating spaghetti (but not a real one)

Edited by jennat

Jen, thanks so much for the picture of the Boardwalk Dog House. I can see that the coffee station is gone. It's nice to know that they relocated the soft serve ice cream machine that used to be in the WJ to an area where it is now accessible all day long and hopefully after the WJ closes. I hope it's still fat free frozen yogurt that is being served from the machine.

It makes sense that they relocated the coffee station to the Solarium for the Park Cafe as when it was the Solarium Cafe you had to bring your beverage with you if you were eating there.

Jen I'll add my thanks to you and your wonderful sense of humor. Your review with the pics is just awesome. We're on the Radiance for the firts time in 8 weeks, and I'm so looking forward to it.

So far we are 2 for 2, we are also doing a Misty Fjords Flight Tour and the Bear and Whale Search tour in ISP!!!

Today was Icy Point Straight or Icy Straight Point or Point Straight at the Icy something.

We awoke to a glorious day! The sun was shining and the water was like glass. It was absolutely stunning. Icy is a cruise port basically built by a native village. There is the touristy store when you get off but basically that is it. You couldn't buy jewelry here if you wanted to. What a relief it was.

We booked with Misty Bay Lodge and I have to tell you what a delight it was to work with them. I would unequivocally recommend them. You hear so much about FISHES and I tried to book with them but they wouldn't call me back or email me back. I thought, forget you and looked for another company. Boy am I glad I did. Hope or Dan's primary form of contact is by phone so I spoke with them several times over the course of my planning. They were excited about their island and what they had to offer and that was infectious. After the whale watching we headed out on a bear hunt on the island....but I am getting ahead of myself.

We woke early to room service. Hope had told us to catch the first tender off (btw you are tendered here if you didn't connect those dots)

DSC08539.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

so we did. When you get off you basically walk out of the security area for all non-ship excursions. We waited in the parking lot/dirt patch (i'm telling you, this area is not developed. You will love it) and our driver showed up (I wish I could remember his name, Lisa, can you help me out?)

He drove us into Hoonah....if you look at the photo below, you can see the road you have to travel to get here.

DSC08542.jpg

so the red building is the port stop and as you move to the right you see the dirt lot....that is where you meet. Continue on this road for 1/2 mile (?) and you are in Hoonah

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

his name was brian :)

Next to the hotdog stand is a door into the windjammer and an ice cream machine. So I can now, unequivocally say, no coffee stand.

Ah, but you answered the question that my DH has been wanting to know: "Is the Ice Cream Machine still there?" Now, I can tell him, unequivocally, "Yes!" Thanks!!! :D

Thanks Jenn for sharing. Your review and pictures are amazing and very funny.

We will be in Alaska next May on Radiance so I love seeing the pictures of the ship and learning about the excursions. It's really helping me with the planing.

This morning I contacted Misty Bay Lodge for info regarding the whale watching and they have already been in touch. They are very nice, thanks for the recommendation.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!:)

Dont worry Jen, the Half Bear is not so scary. He is just a Cub who is part of a joint custody agreement. He spends half the time at his Dad's cave a few miles away.:D

:D:D:D

Now it all makes sense!

oops too late! you remembered his name :) guess i should have finished the review before posting lol I let you down :(

I'm sure I will need you again.....I am impressed that you and Mike remembered!

That's some nasty green pool water on your earlier pics of the pool deck. :eek: Yuck!

Still enjoying the review. :)

I tried to find the pic your were referring to but didn't go back too far. must have been a trick of the light. The water was very clean.....that makes me think, another thing they did was redo the pool decking.

Leaving July 24th for a 12 night Cruisetour #12 (Radiance) . Five night land (Denali, Talkeetna, Fairbanks, Anchorage) then Southbound from Seward to Vancouver. Love the photos and review. Waiting anxiously for more. Thanks!

Edited by rascalious

While touring the ship, we happened on the Solarium. Such a cool spot. Really makes you want to be in it.

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

We saw that the Park Cafe was opened and decided to give it a try

IMG_0229.jpg

This whole 6 photos per post is cramping my style.....hold on....

The second photo is of the Solarium Pool. Sure looks green to me. But the water at the shallow edges look clear - So, is the deep part of the pool painted green???

Edited by rascalious

The second photo is of the Solarium Pool. Sure looks green to me. But the water at the shallow edges look clear - So, is the deep part of the pool painted green???

It sure does.....it wasn't green though so it must be paint....