Cruise Critic Community
msgardner87

Beverage Question

Hello everyone,

I am new to these boards and brand new to cruising. This is a crazy question, I was wondering if the iced tea that is served on most cruise ship is sweet. This is very important for my southern family. lol

Thanks in advance for your help,

Hello Newbie,

I've cruised on Carnival, RCL and Princess, all serve both sweet and unsweetened tea all day long. They also have juice in the AM, lemonade around the clock. You can also purchase a drink card, approx $6 a day adults, $4 a day kids. This allows for unlimited soft drinks by the glass. Most cruiselines will also allow a limited quantity of non-alcoholic drinks to be brought on board.

We've typically taken a 12 pack per person. When going ashore, we would purchase a few bottles to bring on the ship.

Hope this helps,

MsCruiseLover

If it's not sweet, add sugar and stir like crazy...it will dissolve and become "sweet" tea! Or, you can make hot tea, and add sugar at that time, and pour over ice.

Hello Newbie,

I've cruised on Carnival, RCL and Princess, all serve both sweet and unsweetened tea all day long.

Hope this helps,

MsCruiseLover

Iv been on all three and only had the choice of unsweetened tea.

sorry OP.

Hello Newbie,

I've cruised on Carnival, RCL and Princess, all serve both sweet and unsweetened tea all day long. They also have juice in the AM, lemonade around the clock. You can also purchase a drink card, approx $6 a day adults, $4 a day kids. This allows for unlimited soft drinks by the glass. Most cruiselines will also allow a limited quantity of non-alcoholic drinks to be brought on board.

We've typically taken a 12 pack per person. When going ashore, we would purchase a few bottles to bring on the ship.

Hope this helps,

MsCruiseLover

I've sailed Princess, Cunard, Carnival, Holland America, Celebrity and others and none has served sweet tea. Unsweetened, add sweetener of choice. EM

Have only seen the unsweetened tea on Carnival. We usually bring Crystal light packets and reuse a 20oz water bottle to fill at water station. This gives us different variety. We then can pour into our insulated mugs.

The juices, especially the "Guava" is really good, as well as the lemonade.

Have only sailed (as an adult) on the MWA(Maine Windjammer Association) and Carnival, and both lines only serve unsweet tea. It's easier to make one batch of tea, and let people sweeten it, than to make two batches and have people wonder which is which, or upset any diabetics:o. It's not bad, quenches the thirst, and I try to add a little juice to it.:)

I love "real" sweet tea also. Have never seen it offered on a cruise ship and just had to get over it for the duration.

As one poster suggested, you could go to the trouble to make hot tea with sugar and pour it over ice. I haven't found it necessary - adding sugar or splenda to the ship's iced tea isn't that bad. If I was totally horrified at the idea, I'd drink something else like lemonade.

What do your family members drink when they are away from the Southern US? I've never seen "real" sweet tea anywhere else.

No sweet tea on any cruise we've taken. The iced tea offered is usually that (to me) horrid stuff made from concentrate or powder. Plus as we all know, it's a PITA to try to get regular sugar to dissolve in already iced tea. So I do what I do at home: Brew a highly concentrated cup of tea, add sugar and stir to dissolve, then pour over a big glass of ice. Voila, "instant" iced tea.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

the tea we saw being put in the containers is the purity tea, non sweet. I love the arnold palmer tea where you mix with your lemonade and then you don't need to add sugar since it has it from the lemonade. Being from the south also, i have found that even though most other places do not have sweet tea, they most often have lemonade. So i just mix instead of asking for the sliced lemons!

I never heard of "sweet tea" until I lived in SC 14 years ago. To this day I still cannot comprehend dumping 5 Lb of sugar into tea. And everyone wonders why there are so many diabetics..

These days I make my pitchers of sweet tea with Splenda. As far as I'm concerned the most important part is that whatever the sweetener, it has to be mixed in while the tea is hot.

These days I make my pitchers of sweet tea with Splenda. As far as I'm concerned the most important part is that whatever the sweetener, it has to be mixed in while the tea is hot.

I also have unsweetened tea with Splenda..... cruise ship iced tea is just fine.

I find Splenda mixes ok with cold tea!!

For purists there is a difference. If it's important to you, you can make a batch of simple syrup (water boiled with sugar) at home, put it in an emptied water bottle and bring it on board with you, then add that to unsweetened tea. Or, you can take a risk and see if the bartender has some simple syrup. I sort of doubt it, the bartenders I've seen on board were working with pretty basic, pre-made stuff.

Edited by euro cruiser

I agree with MatJ... I just moved to north carolina a year ago and I dont understand sweet tea either.. Im a waitress and we dont serve sweet tea and when people ask for it and I tell them we dont have it.... they look as if i murdered someone. Too much sugar!! I agree with the splenda substitute.

Thanks everybody, the adding sugar to ice tea is just not the same.

Mike

You have to add sugar while the water is extremely hot.

On Norwegian the iced tea is not sweet (thank God!). There is sugar and some artificial sweetener available if you choose to drink your calories, also plenty of sweet desserts.

Its powder. ICK! I brew a cup of tea, sweeten it and then pour over ice.