Explorer June 23, 2011 Review

great, thanks!

inside room it is then:cool:

i was wondering how they could check for booze in bags, but the scanner answers that! do they even scan small bags? large handbags/purses etc? :D

They scan EVERYTHING ! You are required to take off hats, sunglasses, and empty your pockets too.

The beach right at the ferry in St. Martin is just OK, in my opinion. I feel that it doesn't represent the best the island has.

I would recommend going to Maho first thing, spend some time there (the beach isn't that bad - it's just not huge but the water is gorgeous and there's a nice beach bar too) then grab a cab back and either walk around the downtown area if you want to do shopping (it's very walkable from the ship too) or go to Little Divi, which is a few minutes drive between the airport and the ship if you want to go to a good beach. Cabs are fairly priced (and regulated by the government).

Try a Promenade View, we've had it twice now. The window seat and love seat (not necessary) add more room. I know it's less than balcony and if you can get one mid-ship you can see the parades and other events from your room.

If you head clockwise around the island - d'town (Phillipsburg), Maho (Airport), Marigot, Orient Beach then back to ship the traffic's not too bad. The only bad thing is the ship doesn't arrive until @ 12 pm and they seem to roll the sidewalks and the beaches up @ 4pm, so plan accordingly.

If you head clockwise around the island - d'town (Phillipsburg), Maho (Airport), Marigot, Orient Beach then back to ship the traffic's not too bad. The only bad thing is the ship doesn't arrive until @ 12 pm and they seem to roll the sidewalks and the beaches up @ 4pm, so plan accordingly.

Yep, we were kind of surprised when we got to Orient Beach at about 4 PM, and they closing down.

Yep, we were kind of surprised when we got to Orient Beach at about 4 PM, and they closing down.

So the bars/ restaurants are closing down then, too? Or is everyone just leaving the beach and it's kind of empty?

Thanks for writing such a detailed report- we sail one month from yesterday- we also tried to book the Segways in PR ourselves, and got the email back saying they only do cruise excursions when a ship is in port. SO we booked through the ship- REALLy glad we did after hearing how much you enjoyed yourselves (and WOW!! That's a loooooooong walk up to that fort, especially in scorching August heat! :eek:).

We have one of the Aft corner cabins on deck 10, like the one you saw on your cabin crawl. 1688, I think. :) Do you remember if it was super hot out on that great big verandah? Just curious-

Thanks so much for sharing- glad you all had a good time!:cool:

Ellen

So the bars/ restaurants are closing down then, too? Or is everyone just leaving the beach and it's kind of empty?

Thanks for writing such a detailed report- we sail one month from yesterday- we also tried to book the Segways in PR ourselves, and got the email back saying they only do cruise excursions when a ship is in port. SO we booked through the ship- REALLy glad we did after hearing how much you enjoyed yourselves (and WOW!! That's a loooooooong walk up to that fort, especially in scorching August heat! :eek:).

We have one of the Aft corner cabins on deck 10, like the one you saw on your cabin crawl. 1688, I think. :) Do you remember if it was super hot out on that great big verandah? Just curious-

Thanks so much for sharing- glad you all had a good time!:cool:

Ellen

The aft balcony actually had some shaded areas sometime.

As for the walk to the fort, that was nothing. You should have seen some of the walking tours we passed that were not even halfway to the fort. I felt pretty bad for some of them, as there are some hills to go up.

Segway tour was a lot of fun, really glad we did it. Absolutely incredible machine, considering they have NO throttle and NO brake.

Well, that pretty much concludes my experiences on the EOS June 23, 2011.

I, as others will be happy to answer any questions you might have, and for those of you going on the EOS in the future you are in for a real treat.

It was an absolutely wonderful trip. The ship, the people, the crew, all great.

Here are some miscellaneous pix. Following is an 11 YO kid that played the bagpipe, he was amazingly good, crowd at the pool loved him:

_DSC0410.jpg?t=1309917268

One for the chairhogs:

_DSC0099.jpg?t=1309916756

here's a pic of the bikers in bermuda........also i did watch as they loaded up a cruiser to take him to the local hospital..he broke a hip ice skating...hope he is doing better!!!

DSC07783.jpg.0998f5d99ee3cc77de94bd8ff3cd9bed.jpg

This is St. Thomas with the Bikers getting ready to go cruising on the island.

_DSC0110.jpg?t=1309916805

Guess who these folks were:

_DSC0019.jpg?t=1309916618

I had a "few" opportunities to talk to a bunch of the members of the bike group in the cigar lounge. What a great group of folks! :cool: We really enjoyed watching them as they passed on the various islands. Everyone was friendly and we all had a great time.

The nine night cruise is a great length cruise! I hate for cruises to end, but at least with nine nights, I am almost ready to go home. It was great meeting everyone that I had a chance to see.

Thanks for doing the review Johneeo! It was a pleasure to have met you and I hope to see you on another cruise!

Eric

I had a "few" opportunities to talk to a bunch of the members of the bike group in the cigar lounge. What a great group of folks!

Eric

I met the big guy and told him that he better be on his best behaviour or else!:eek:

Thanks for a great review! We will be taking our 1st EOS cruise this Fall and I am curious about the Prom. parades that take place. What are they like - how often do they occur - how long are they? TIA for any info!

From what I remember, there was one the first night, around 11 or 1130? We ended up falling asleep before it started :rolleyes:

There was another one the 2nd to last night before dinner at 5:30 pm, if I remember correctly. I am not even joking when I say it was less than 10 minutes long. I was shocked, since I remember years ago the parades being at least a half hour long.

My only guess is that this one was shorter since it was right before first seating and they wanted to give people time to finish getting ready/head to dinner, but I really have no idea.

There was one or two singers on the small balcony over the promenade, then there were a few dancers (if you can call them that - they didn't really dance!) that walked up and down the prom. with props.

From what I remember, there was one the first night, around 11 or 1130? We ended up falling asleep before it started :rolleyes:

There was another one the 2nd to last night before dinner at 5:30 pm, if I remember correctly. I am not even joking when I say it was less than 10 minutes long. I was shocked, since I remember years ago the parades being at least a half hour long.

My only guess is that this one was shorter since it was right before first seating and they wanted to give people time to finish getting ready/head to dinner, but I really have no idea.

There was one or two singers on the small balcony over the promenade, then there were a few dancers (if you can call them that - they didn't really dance!) that walked up and down the prom. with props.

I really did not attend any of the parades on the promenade, as it gets too crowded.

However, one night the Captain was on the walkway over the promenade, and he introduced all of his senior staff:

_DSC0152.jpg?t=1309916834

hi there again. we're very close to booking now and my wife has been scouring the net and has found a great deal booking through a (very reputable) third party. basically, a promenade room for the same price as an inside cabin:cool:

a couple of wee questions that i have remembered.

we are going to be selecting the option for dinner at 6pm every night, but there may be an occasion where we have gone off the ship for the day and either are too tired or too late for dinner. I know there is the 'flexible dining' option, but could we just grab dinner in say, the windjammer, on days like this, even if it was a semi formal/formal evening and we had a reservation at the main dining room?

This was the case on the only other cruise we have been on (QM2 transatlantic), and although we didn't leave the boat (mid atlantic:p) there were a few days that we just ate dinners in the more relaxed eateries. thanks!:)

hi there again. we're very close to booking now and my wife has been scouring the net and has found a great deal booking through a (very reputable) third party. basically, a promenade room for the same price as an inside cabin:cool:

a couple of wee questions that i have remembered.

we are going to be selecting the option for dinner at 6pm every night, but there may be an occasion where we have gone off the ship for the day and either are too tired or too late for dinner. I know there is the 'flexible dining' option, but could we just grab dinner in say, the windjammer, on days like this, even if it was a semi formal/formal evening and we had a reservation at the main dining room?

This was the case on the only other cruise we have been on (QM2 transatlantic), and although we didn't leave the boat (mid atlantic:p) there were a few days that we just ate dinners in the more relaxed eateries. thanks!:)

Are you from the US? TA's aren't allowed to discount RC rooms anymore, so the fact that a better room is priced the same as an inside seems like a red flag to me...

We did the 6 pm MDR seating as well. When we were in St. Martin we got back kind of late and didn't want to rush getting ready for dinner so we just grabbed food at Johnny Rockets that night. We could have also ate in the Windjammer as well. If you know you are going to miss a night in the MDR, just let your waitstaff know the night before so they aren't waiting for you.

Are you from the US? TA's aren't allowed to discount RC rooms anymore, so the fact that a better room is priced the same as an inside seems like a red flag to me...

We did the 6 pm MDR seating as well. When we were in St. Martin we got back kind of late and didn't want to rush getting ready for dinner so we just grabbed food at Johnny Rockets that night. We could have also ate in the Windjammer as well. If you know you are going to miss a night in the MDR, just let your waitstaff know the night before so they aren't waiting for you.

thanks for the reply!

we are from the UK, and the deals are out there, if you look for them. I imagine there are different regulations in different countries. The company is Thomas Cook, who are one of the biggest players in the UK/European travel business. Inside cabin via RCII = £741pp (cheapest) with Thomas Cook = £688pp. Promenade with RCII = £818pp, with TC = £757pp.

i did notice on this cruise the lack of enforement on some of their rules:

my mother nad sister bot hbrought irons onboard with them.

shorts in the main dining room for dinner

the jackets required for men in portofinos is generally ignored

i di have my 15 month old baby (non-potty trained) in the regular pool on several occasions. she did have a swim diaper on and i was usually holding her and dipping her into the deep section a few times......nobody said anything or even looked my way.

unfortunately my wait staff for dinner was lacking compared to past cruises......hopefully this was the exception and not the rule in the MDR.

WE had to do a lot of leg work to find out the playroom for the babies on the ship (in it hidden in a conference room on the foward section of deck 2) no compass for the kids/children activities was ever left in our room. other people did have one left for them.

the wait staff was tipped according to their performance...hopefully they will pick up the pace!!!

Archived