port of charleston. info please

papamuzzy

Hi All,

Finally got my next cruise booked. April 16 Charleston to boston on the norwegian Majesty. 15 days. So I guess My 1st question should be , How do you pack for such a long cruise? Do people dress up less? I don't think I have enough clothes for this trip.The longest Iv'e ever cruised is 10 days. What is it like to be on 1 ship for this long? It's like a dream come true ,so in the end I'm sure these silly questions wonm't matter.

My other questions have to do with Charles ton. We have never been. The best, most reasonably priced. close to the port Hotel/Motel? Are there any stores close by? ie: drug, convience, grocery etc........ ALso we are probably going to arrive by train. Does anyone know proximity to port etc.......

We have cruised several times over the years. 3 times on the Majesty. This trip is much different not only in length but how we are traveling. I am traveling with my elderly Father and myself some significant health issues. Usually we bring large amounts of bottled water. Will this be an issue on this trip. Have only had a problem with this once before.

As you can probobably tell I'm very excited about this trip and want things to be good. Any info at all greatly appreciated.

SO LUCKY TO CRUISE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I can try with a few of your questions. On NCL, with the freestyle concept there is no need to really dress up unless you want to. There might be 2 formal nights on your cruise, but only in one dining room. I don't even take a suit jacket anymore. Just Dockers and some nice shirts. Since you won't be at the same table with the same people, you can easily wear things twice and no one will notice :). They will also offer a deal where you can get everything you can fit in a bag they provide laundered for about $20.

I can't help with the length question. Doing an 18-day in April so will find out. I don't think you should have any trouble with taking bottled water on board. Have a great time and if you have the opportunity try to see a bit of Charleston. It's a great city to visit!

The cab ride will be about 40$ to downtown. You will arrive in the sprawling metropolis that is North Charleston.

You would likely want a hotel room downtown. The Best Western is Ok, and VERY close to the port. Also down- town. Holiday inn/ HOJO`s/ Sherataon are a little farther away (you will need a quick cab 8$) All else may be pricey, but check the internet. If you are unsure as to quality/location email me (Charleston resident 5 years)

In historic downtown charleston you will find several drugstores in walking distance to your hotel. Calhoun street has 2 Eckards I believe. There is also a grocery store

(The harris teeter) They have a reasonably good wine selection.

The market is fun. The seafood is great and the bars are fun. Kaminsky`s has some really great deserts, Sharkey`s has good calzones.

Archived