sharecruises

Old Town Trolley vs City View Trolley

Hi....

will be in KW Nov 12 8:00am to to 4:30pm

on MSC Poesia

Have been to KW before (and live in Florida)

I will have a pretty good sized group with me who want to hang out together

Last times in Key West we walked around, went to Irish Kevin's (fun)....some did Hemingway house

I am thinking about going on Old Town Trolley OR City View Trolley

City View is cheaper I know.

We are not huge sightseers, most of us have been to Key West before...may want to get on/off, grab a drink, check out Irish Kevins and some may want to get off at attractions

How is the City View Trolley? I have seen it but never been on it, have you?? Suggestions gratefully welcomed...thanks

I highly recommend City View. The tour is nearly the same and is hop on/off just like Old town. They also give seniors, child, and military discounts. Another advantage is their seats are padded, unlike the wood seats on Old town. All together, your group will save a lot of money by going with them.

Edited by Aquahound

I highly recommend City View. The tour is nearly the same and is hop on/off just like Old town. They also give seniors, child, and military discounts. Another advantage is their seats are padded, unlike the wood seats on Old town. All together, your group will save a lot of money by going with them.

$19 pp or $17pp if you buy online before your visit.

http://mobilaurus.com/Cityview/buy1.php?location=keywest

Mike:)

Thanks! I was going to ask the same question!

Just wanted to update everyone. On the City View trolley website is says all kids ride free (but had an expiration date of 5/31) so I called and the lady told me all kids under 12 ride free w/ no expiration date!!

That seals the deal for me:D

I will add my recommendation to City View. In my opinion, there is no reason to spend the extra money with Old Town Trolley. Old Town Trolley also steers you into the shops they own. City View only operates the trolley tour.

I also think the Ship's all sell the Old Town Trolley Tour..so that means higher price right there

This is some great information....love the padded seats...

City View it is ...thanks again !!!!

I also think the Ship's all sell the Old Town Trolley Tour..so that means higher price right there

This is some great information....love the padded seats...

City View it is ...thanks again !!!!

One of our local overdevelopers, Ed Swift, owns the Old Town Trollies. Sadly, the cruise ships are not immune from his local influence. You should have seen the legal battle he put up trying to block City View from coming in. Anyways, you don't care about all that. All that aside, City View is less expensive, more comfortable, and less an impact on the locals. Thanks for choosing them instead.

Wow! we were all set to take the old town trolley for $26pp but now that i check out city view we are changing out plans! Thanks!!

It looks like Old Town covers more of the island than City View does... does anyone know if it is worth (for lack of a better term) seeing that extra 1/2(ish) of the island???

It looks like Old Town covers more of the island than City View does... does anyone know if it is worth (for lack of a better term) seeing that extra 1/2(ish) of the island???

I do not think so. The half you are missing is the part of the island called New Town. While many locals live there, there is not much of interest to tourists. Unless you want to see our home depot, malls, fast food places, the airport and auto dealerships, you will not be missing much. The stops out there are at chain motels and trinket shops that Old Town Trolley owns.

Go with City View and spend your savings on other things.

I do not think so. The half you are missing is the part of the island called New Town. While many locals live there, there is not much of interest to tourists. Unless you want to see our home depot, malls, fast food places, the airport and auto dealerships, you will not be missing much. The stops out there are at chain motels and trinket shops that Old Town Trolley owns.

Go with City View and spend your savings on other things.

+1

I was going to say the exact same thing.

We absolutely loved the City View trolley. So much so in fact, I have the ticket stub stuck to my cubicle wall as a memory. Let me relate my experience.

It was recommendations here (thank you) that had us give them a try. We purchased our tickets ahead of time and saved decent money. The day we arrived I tried to find the tickets I printed and couldn't. I expected to have to pay again. We quickly found the starting location when we got off the ship and we approached the first uniformed employee we saw. We told him we had forgotten our pre-paid tickets. He asked me what day we bought them and what our name was. He got out his blackberry, found the confirmation and had the girls print out new ones. I was very happy. We took one complete tour around the island with a great young lady and on the 2nd time we stopped at the Southern point and got off and did the pictures. We talked 2 blocks back to the stop and waited about 5 minutes for the next one where we had an equally entertaining driver. We got off at the Hemmingway house and really enjoyed that tour followed by lunch at the Blackfin Bistro. We ended up pleasurably walking all the way back to the ship, but saw the trolley go by several times. They were part of a great day.

Thanks for your follow up. I can never understand why so many people continue to pay $10 more per person to the Old Town Trolley Company. No doubt he has locked up the cruise ship excursions, but do a little research and save enough for lunch! Glad you enjoyed your day.

Thanks for your follow up. I can never understand why so many people continue to pay $10 more per person to the Old Town Trolley Company. No doubt he has locked up the cruise ship excursions, but do a little research and save enough for lunch! Glad you enjoyed your day.

Ed Swift (owner of the Conch Tour Train and The Old Town Trolley) has most of the town and ALL of the policticians in his hip pocket.

You will be hard pressed to visit Key West without spending money at one of his ventures.

Mike;)

Ed Swift (owner of the Conch Tour Train and The Old Town Trolley) has most of the town and ALL of the policticians in his hip pocket.

You will be hard pressed to visit Key West without spending money at one of his ventures.

Mike;)

Yea, no kidding. Back in, I believe, 2005, MTV's Real World filmed in his next door neighbor's house. Would you believe he filed an injunction in attempt to stop the increased traffic and noise on his road? :rolleyes:

Yea, no kidding. Back in, I believe, 2005, MTV's Real World filmed in his next door neighbor's house. Would you believe he filed an injunction in attempt to stop the increased traffic and noise on his road? :rolleyes:

Remember it well, but even Ed was no match for Hollywood and the series prevailed.:D

We will be in KW this coming Sept and seriously considering with City View trolley for the reduced price and padded seats. I have a question: does it go all the way to the lighthouse/Southermost part??? Someone mentioned it and I just want to confirm it. many Thanks. Aquahound?...I know you live in the Conch Republic, so this is a good question for you...;)

We will be in KW this coming Sept and seriously considering with City View trolley for the reduced price and padded seats. I have a question: does it go all the way to the lighthouse/Southermost part??? Someone mentioned it and I just want to confirm it. many Thanks. Aquahound?...I know you live in the Conch Republic, so this is a good question for you...;)

I am not Aquahound, but I also live in Key West and can tell you that Citi View does include Southernmost Point and the lighthouse. It includes all of Old Town. I think it is the much better deal.

Edited by keywester33

I am not Aquahound, but I also live in Key West and can tell you that Citi View does include Southernmost Point and the lighthouse. It includes all of Old Town. I think it is the much better deal.

Thank you so much for this answer keywester33. We are really leaning towards this one tour of Key West and wanted to see both the lighthouse and the Southernmost Point. Your answer seals it. have a great week-end! :)

I will add one small point - City View has a stop about 2 blocks from the southern point and they drive by it. If you want to get your picture taken at the point, you have to get off at the stop,.walk to the point, and then back to the bus stop. The day I was there about 50 people were waiting to take their pictures. The line was self controlling, moved along well and people helped each other take pictures.

southern.jpg

Edited by BillOh
typo

We think thay are both the same

No' date=' they are not.

How far is it from the cruise pier,Celebrity, to a stop for the CityView trolley?

It depends what pier you are on. Being on Celebrity, it's likely you will be at Pier B, aka Westin Dock. Everything is a short walk from there.

Thanks for the info on City Tour. We will be booking it for our December cruise on the Freedom. Anyone know what happens if we purchase online but ship does not make port.... Thanks again..

Edited by csunshine860

Hi! Can anyone please tell me if either of these companies can accommodate a wheelchair that folds up? My mom has mobility issues and can't walk long distances, so we're trying to decide if we should leave her wheelchair on the ship.

Also, anyone have a route map for the trolley?

Thanks!

Here is a map of the City View Trolley route and stops and I have seen people using portable mobility devices on both trolley lines.

With that being said, I can't see you walking more than a few hundred feet from each stop (since Duval St is only a mile and a quarter long).

Whether or not you leave the chair on the ship is up to you.

Have a great visit!

http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/keywest/KeyWest_PDF/KEY%20WEST%20NEW%20MAP.pdf

Edited by bhopal21

Here is a map of the City View Trolley route and stops and I have seen people using portable mobility devices on both trolley lines.

With that being said, I can't see you walking more than a few hundred feet from each stop (since Duval St is only a mile and a quarter long).

Whether or not you leave the chair on the ship is up to you.

Have a great visit!

http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/keywest/KeyWest_PDF/KEY%20WEST%20NEW%20MAP.pdf

Thank you very much! This is just the info I needed! :D

Just a question...if we port in the mole and have to take the "shuttle" trolly into town can we just walk to the southern point? I ask because we will have a double stroller with us and we port at 7AM and the city trolly doesn't operate until 9:30. I would "assume" we could walk to the southern point before the 1st trolly ever arrives (thinking crowd control here). I have read not much, if anything, is open at 7 so thinking we could walk directly to southern point then make a leisurely walk back toward port after merchants open?

Just a question...if we port in the mole and have to take the "shuttle" trolly into town can we just walk to the southern point? I ask because we will have a double stroller with us and we port at 7AM and the city trolly doesn't operate until 9:30. I would "assume" we could walk to the southern point before the 1st trolly ever arrives (thinking crowd control here). I have read not much, if anything, is open at 7 so thinking we could walk directly to southern point then make a leisurely walk back toward port after merchants open?

Where you are dropped off is about at the Northernmost part of the island. The Southernmost Point is, well, you know. ;) It's about a 1.3 mile walk straight down Whitehead St. It really is a nice walk, but whether that's too much with a stroller is up to you.

Where you are dropped off is about at the Northernmost part of the island. The Southernmost Point is, well, you know. ;) It's about a 1.3 mile walk straight down Whitehead St. It really is a nice walk, but whether that's too much with a stroller is up to you.

1.3 miles isn't too bad of a walk, it will be next month so maybe temps will be nice. The stroller is not an issue either, I actually dread the day I can travel without it because even when kids don't use it I can put my bags in the seat..wonder if I would get strange looks pushing a stroller with teenagers with me :eek:

Hi! Can anyone please tell me if either of these companies can accommodate a wheelchair that folds up? My mom has mobility issues and can't walk long distances, so we're trying to decide if we should leave her wheelchair on the ship.

Also, anyone have a route map for the trolley?

Thanks!

My guess is yes based on the open air trolley design and friendliness of the drivers, but call or email them, they are good about responding. There is a map on the website, it would probably help to know which stops you want to use and let the driver know ahead of time.

Edited by BillOh

Thanks to the good information here, we have booked out CityView tour for next week.

Does anyone know if they give you a map when you first board or should I just print one off and bring it?

Jeff

My guess is yes based on the open air trolley design and friendliness of the drivers, but call or email them, they are good about responding. There is a map on the website, it would probably help to know which stops you want to use and let the driver know ahead of time.

Thank you!

I contacted City View via their web site and finally got a response:

We do have trolleys that are fully accessible if you need a lift, however, if you can do the steps, we will fold up the chair and keep it up by the driver for you.

Now my question is, what happens if the ship doesn't make it to Key West?

I think I know the answer already, but I'm still waiting for City View to confirm. :)

Now my question is, what happens if the ship doesn't make it to Key West?

I think I know the answer already, but I'm still waiting for City View to confirm. :)

From people I personally know, and from the accounts of folks on these boards, both of the 2 KW trollie companies will refund you.

From people I personally know, and from the accounts of folks on these boards, both of the 2 KW trollie companies will refund you.

Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for the insight!