Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AWAprincess

Victory 3/13-3/20 Western REVIEW part 1

For those of you that don't know...we surprised the kids with this cruise...and you can read more about that here on this board as well...so I won't go into detail about that...

We showed up at the port at 10:30am...the port was completely PACKED with cars...I guess from those getting off and those getting on. But it didn't take us long before it was our turn to give them our luggage, maybe 15mins max. no big deal...just seemed a little disorganized. We had a few taxi drivers yelling at us to move...in the process of getting our luggage off. haha.

We then had a cluster mess going to the parking garage...reminded me of a NYC street...no lines were obeyed...just cars everywhere. We park...and haul our stuff to the building. Get in a nice long line to "check-in". Okay...use to this...but after checking in...we then proceeded to another floor and yet another line to get our "sign and sail" cards...I thought that this was different...cuz RCCL gives you your cards when you check in...so instead of standing in two lines you only have to stand in one. BTW, I must apoligize upfront for comparing...I've been on 9 RCCL cruises and this was my only 2nd Carnival...so I guess it's natural for me to compare. Please forgive me.

We made it on the ship at about noon...so 1 1/2 hrs to get on...crazy...haha. But we were laughing and smiling the whole way...so much excitement!! We immediately go to check out our cabins and to drop off our stuff.

We got a balcony on the Verandah (8th deck)deck and an inside cabin right directly across the hall from the kiddos. The kids are 10, 8 and 4. We were right up in the front of the ship, 2 cabins from the front. I was very impressed w/ the cabins...much better than the Ecstasy...they were very nice...with LOTS of storage. I have that over-the-door shoe holder that I never pulled out. I usually have to use it everytime...but not on this cruise. More storage than I knew what to do with. The balcony was also a very nice size.

We then proceeded straight up to the buffet...YEA!! Screw the diet...here we go!! So much to choose from...Chinese, BBQ, Pizza, Calzones, Deli and a buffet full of food!! The rolls were warm and soft in the buffet...AWESOME. The food tasted restaurant quality and not as though they were feeding a sworm of people. The chinese was excellent...the deli...fabulous sandwiches...we ate the tuna, turkey and Rueben...didn't try the others. The hamburgers in the BBQ were so big and juicy...and McDonald's tasting fries. The calzones were very good too. All in all...I was VERY impressed w/ the quality and selection of food.

The sail away party...was great...lots of music...and they really got the crowd going. I got a little too much alcohol in me...and kinda lost the first night of the cruise, hehe. I drank the "special" of the day...actually had 4 of them. I was toasted. Hubby said that i passed out at 6:30pm...so he enjoyed the night by himself with the kids...and I enjoyed my night passed out on the balcony with a bucket. haha. Don't normally get like this...but what the heck was in those drinks?? I must've drank 'em so fast...that it hit me suddenly. haha. Beware of the Miami Vice (think that is what it was).

Also let me add one more thing to this cruise review. The ship was overrun with teenagers. And yes...they were all drinking and being served some way some how. 15, 16, 17 and 18 yo's. We met a father and his 14 yo daughter...we were up at the pool on the first sea day...she ordered a drink...and the waiter brought it to her...had alcohol in it. I know that it is spring break right now...but holy moly! Every activity was teenagers...they would get there...and hardly any "adults" were ever in anything. I don't mind kids...but when you get 200 drinking teenagers from ONE high school and a ton of college students on a ship...yea...it's gonna be crazy...the security really had to tighten up a little. By the 3rd night..they had one standing outside of each bar. Hats off to Carnival for trying to deal w/ it!! They really did good. The "dad" that we met with his daughter...woke up to a teenager screaming and banging on the door across the hall...next thing he hears is water pouring on the floor...so he got up...opened the door and the kid was peeing in the hallway!! Wow!! He immediately called security...they were there in seconds...lecturing the kids...and had the mess cleaned up immediately. This is just one story...there are many. People complained the kids running up and down the hallways at all hours and on all decks...we were okay..as we were in the front of the ship...only one room passed us. We saw security making rounds up and down the hallways. I have a few friends who work on RCCL and I know that springbreak is just as bad over there...so it's not just Carnival. It's just springbreak in general...they said that our week that we cruised was the first week of springbreak and now they have 3 more to go. Crazy. I would say that half our cruise was kids. Seemed like it at least.

Okay...but we still had a good time, haha. Look out for part 2!! Time for bed!!

Wow, AWAPrincess, the same thing happened to me with those drinks of the day on the first day of the first family cruise....I musta sucked em down pretty quick, because I was sicker than a dog also....

We'll be with elkridgecruisers on their cruise also, and my kids are about the same ages as yours, 11,8,almost 4. I also would like to know how the kids liked the Camp Carnival activities.

I am also going this sunday....3-27-05 Victory. I have a 10 Year old daughter and I will be in Cat. 11 cabin...hopefully it will be great.

Thanks for the great review so far ... Question about boarding ... you said that it 1 1/2 hours to board ... was this due to lines or due to waiting for those departing the ship ...

Candy

Ravegan, there are a bunch of us with kids who are going to meet at 3 pm on the Victory Lido deck by Triton's pool, join us!! I have an 11 yr old daughter and RNMom has one also - maybe the girls will hit it off.

There are going to be so many kids, they should all have a great time!

A few of us have tentatively planned to bring the kids back to the ship for dinner when we're in Cozumel, then leave them in Camp Carnival or whatever, and have an adults-only trek to Carlos N Charlies/Senor Frogs.

Hope to meet you - only 5 days!!

That would be great....3pm by Triton's pool. I am very excited about all the kids I think most of the college crowd should be back at school...and I am hoping for a younger set...watch out at Carlos N charlies I went there on my honeymoon and I don't think its changed a whole lot. It was wild then! a great time.

Oh, I've been there before, that's why I want to go back!! I've not been to Senor Frogs, but since they're right next to one another, what the heck??

great review so far. can't wait to read more. We are on the Victory 4/24. We have a group of 11 (6 adults and 5 children ages 4-9) Evryone is so excited.

Dayna

Hey all!! Thanks for all the great comments!! I've posted part 2 to this review!!

Just post if you have any other questions!! I love answering them!!

Traci:)

I read another review that said the only drinks available on the Victory besides the bar was ice tea or water. On past Carnival cruises we also had lemonade and fruit punch is this still true?Can you help?

Hi there!!

We had free fruit punch, lemonade, apple juice, ice tea and ice water.

Also at dinner you can have espresso's and cappichino's...(spelling)

HTH!!

Traci

Hi!!

The formal nights were on the night of the first day at sea...and I think Ocho Rios night...which was Monday and Friday nights.

And the Lobster was on Monday's formal. Escargot was on Thursday night i do believe...cuz I missed it:(

hth!!

Traci