Galaxy pax, I have a dilemma

fireguy091

Well, the links show up like broken image files for me. So, I went to the root of the ftp site and grabbed it from there. I opened the tif with Paint Shop Pro just fine. I also grabbed the Main dining room wine list pdf and it came out beautifully!!
Strange, they open right away for me. How about this one...

ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Martini_Bar.pdf

I'm getting that now too. I thought it was my desktop since I was doing a little clean up and uninstalled old versions of adobe that I had. So, I booted up my laptop and am getting the same thing. I can still go to the root ftp site just fine. But if I try to open the martini bar pdf file from there, the path it is trying to find is ftp://dinosaurboard.com/F/Celebrity/Martini_Bar.pdf

I'm all for the simple solution of html and jpgs, which is what I'll use on anything that I scan. Everybody can access it and they don't have to wait while their computer starts up another app.

I do see that smaller size and printability are advantages of pdf, so I'll let you who know what you're doing deal with that. When it works, I'll love to know what the steps were to accomplish it.

Thanks for all your work,

Lisa

I ve just returned and have an awfull lot of info to share. Daily ********s,all 11 copies, bar menu's from everywhere. To many pages to fax to everyone who wants them. In a perfect world I would scan and post all this stuff by I don't have the savy or stuff to get it done.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? I have recieved several emails from folks who would like copies and I want to get the info to everyone who needs it, just not sure of the best way to get it all out there..

where did you cruise?e on the Galaxy 4/25 panama cruise looking for suggestions for shore trips. also tip regarding the ship

milzey

I'm all for the simple solution of html and jpgs, which is what I'll use on anything that I scan. Everybody can access it and they don't have to wait while their computer starts up another app.

I do see that smaller size and printability are advantages of pdf, so I'll let you who know what you're doing deal with that. When it works, I'll love to know what the steps were to accomplish it.

Lisa

The only problem I see with the jpg solution is that they tend to open in Internet Explorer and are so small you can't read anything. Novice users may not know they can save the images to their computer and open them that way, IMHO.

Aha! When I open it in IE, it comes up full size - but that's because I have "enable auto resizing" unchecked. In Firefox, there's a handy magnifying glass that will enlarge the image.

Everyone should really just switch to Firefox, I think.:D

Lisa

The size differences are dramatic. The nature of the algorithm used for JPEG is particularly bad for B&W line art and text, and these little 50K .tif files blow up to 450K JPEGs (even using high compression rates) very quickly when images of this size are the issue. I've considered GIF files, but those tend to get pretty large as well.

I'm not clear about the prior poster and the "X" broken file symbols. Are these showing up here in these messages, or ???

Lisa

If I understand that first sentence ... all I'm doing is creating *.tif files and then using Acrobat to turn them into *.pdf files. Since I would HOPE by now that most users have at least Acroread or something due to the abundance of *.pdf files on the net, I may make note of only the *.pdf files when it's all said and done. That will provide a link to entire sets of pages of a single "document" and should be more or less universally readable. The *.pdf is somewhat larger than the total of the images, but it's not that bad, especially in contrast to *.jpg files.

For now, let's see how we do with *.pdf files. Anyone who hasn't got some version of Acrobat Reader yet is going to be hobbled on the net anyway, but I would still appreciate any success/failure feedback. A bit of a warning -- it seems recent "upgrade" downloads of Acrobat reader can cause IE 6 to lose track of its ability to automatically find and use Acrobat Reader.

This should about cover all the booze on the boat apart from the specialty restaurant wine list!

ftp://dinosaurboard.com/After_Dinner_Coffee_and_Liquers.pdf (166K)

ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Bar_List.pdf (399K)

ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Champagne_Bar.pdf (94K)

ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Cova_Cafe.pdf (406K)

ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Martini_Bar.pdf (196K)

ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Main_Dining_Wine_List.pdf (1,042K)

[quote name='canderson']
I'm not clear about the prior poster and the "X" broken file symbols. Are these showing up here in these messages, or ???[/QUOTE]

That was a problem I created for myself. I had uninstalled some older versions of Adobe Reader and IE kept trying to open the pdf with the acrord32 (or whatever the exe was) Anywooo, I've since reinstalled my Acrobat 6.0 and all is right with world... the world of pdfs anyway!!

Lisa, I hadn't even thought about the auto resize.... ding ding.... Now let me go find that sucker and turn it off. It drives my husband nuts!

OK, here's a prettier version to test:

[size=2]All links below are to Adobe*.PDF files, and require Adobe Acrobat Reader or similar software. If you do not already have this software loaded on your system, you may obtain it here: [url="http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html"]Get Acrobat Reader from Adobe[/url]

Many of these files are of literature obtained from the Galaxy, March 2005, Courtesy "Fireguy"

[url="ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Martini_Bar.pdf"]Martini Bar Menu - 196KB[/url]

[url="ftp://dinosaurboard.com/After_Dinner_Coffee_and_Liquers.pdf"]After Dinner Coffee & Liquers - 166KB[/url]

[url="ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Bar_List.pdf"]Sample Bar Menu - 399KB[/url]

[url="ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Champagne_Bar.pdf"]Champagne Bar Menu - 94KB[/url]

[url="ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Cova_Cafe.pdf"]Cova Cafe Menu - 406KB[/url]

[url="ftp://dinosaurboard.com/Main_Dining_Wine_List.pdf"]Main Dining Room Wine List - 1,042KB[/url]

[url="ftp://dinosaurboard.com/CC_Cabin_Breakfast_Menu.pdf"]Concierge Class Cabin Breakfast Menu - 373KB[/url]

[/size]

Canderson, I was able to use my FTP app and download the files. They look great! However, I couldn't get them to load automatically with either browser, IE or Firefox. I'm updating Acrobat reader now, so that might solve the problem.

My question is, what software did you use to make the optimized .tiffs? Nothing I have currently installed does it and I didn't see anything that stood out when I googled it. Although I'm afraid I didn't look too hard, because I was hoping you would tell me what you're using.

[quote name='LisadelRio']Canderson, I was able to use my FTP app and download the files. They look great! However, I couldn't get them to load automatically with either browser, IE or Firefox. I'm updating Acrobat reader now, so that might solve the problem.

My question is, what software did you use to make the optimized .tiffs? Nothing I have currently installed does it and I didn't see anything that stood out when I googled it. Although I'm afraid I didn't look too hard, because I was hoping you would tell me what you're using.[/QUOTE]

a) I scanned the files in with Photoshop and cleaned them up a bit with that. Unfortunately, while it creates TIFF files, it won't create the flavor I need to keep these files small, so...

b) There are several packages I have that can create compressed TIFF files. One is the old Kodak Imaging that used to come as an accessory with Windoze before XP, but I'm using ACDSee (comes with some digital cameras) to do it at the moment. Oddly, Photoshop doesn't seem to have any facility for creating a G4 compressed B&W TIFF file. Strange, as it does just about everything else. I'd just do step "a" and "b" both with ACDSee, but it's TWAIN scanning interface fouls up and allows only one scan after loading the program before it decides it suddenly doesn't know how. If they fix that, I won't need to start with something else like Photoshop.

c) I then use Adobe Acrobat to take all of the TIFF files and compile them into a multi-page PDF file, one page per page, so to speak.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of scanning the images in as tifs before creating the pdf?? As the secretary of a dance club, I took the last 28 years worth of newsletters and such and scanned them in directly to Adobe Acrobat. They turn out just fine and not too terribly large. What's the advantage of creating tif files first??

[quote name='GCurry']I'm not sure I understand the logic of scanning the images in as tifs before creating the pdf?? As the secretary of a dance club, I took the last 28 years worth of newsletters and such and scanned them in directly to Adobe Acrobat. They turn out just fine and not too terribly large. What's the advantage of creating tif files first??[/QUOTE]Acrobat doesn't have any decent editting utilities to clean up problem images easily. I want to be using something on the front end to pretty things up. As an example, the other program does (in my opinion) a better job of dithering colors to B&W, and I can simultaneously do additional work on the gamma to pull out black text from darker backgrounds, run despeckling filteres, etc.

Canderson, Here's what I get when I try to open from the message board link.

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Archived