just returned

JerseyGem

We just returned 7/24 from the Summit. It was hot in Bermuda! Not as hot as on the east coast, but hotter and more humid than we had expected. Dress accordingly and take a slow pace; don't forget the sunblock, sunglasses and sunhats! Also, an umbrella for the pop-up showers.

If anyone is interested, I have recommendations for a snorkeling excursion, a scooter rental company and an internet service. I do think I can safely post here that the internet bought at the dockyard can be used back on the ship (Summit and I assume Gem) if you go to the nearby side of your ship and up high. Ask when you purchase the internet service. This is certainly more convenient than staying in the internet cafe. (Of course, this assumes you have your own laptop.)

We purchased the two day transit pass- very convenient. We used both ferries and busses to get around. Extra busses and ferries did arrive at the dockyard in the mornings (for the mad rush of tourists!). There were many locals with "visitor information" Tee-shirts all around the dockyard area to help us find our way to the proper location.

Enjoy Bermuda!

Hi Jersey Gem,

I would like to hear your recommendation on the snorkel excursion and the internet company.

Also, what side of the ship was the "dock side". By the maps I've seen, it looks like it will be the port side. Is that true?

We will be on the Summit next year, and are going to be on the back port side, deck 8.

Thanks for the info!

Jersey Gem's other half here.

We had great snorkel excursions with Jesse James.

The internet company is InterConnections in one of the buildings near the bus stops at Dockyard. As far as which side of the ship faces Dockyard, you can't predict. It all depends on what work needs to be done and which lifeboats are due for exercise.

I'd love to hear your scooter recommendation and your experience with renting a scooter overall. there are a lot of different opinions here but DH would like to do it when we're in Bermuda next spring.

Thanks!

If anyone is interested, I have recommendations for a snorkeling excursion, a scooter rental company and an internet service. I do think I can safely post here that the internet bought at the dockyard can be used back on the ship (Summit and I assume Gem) if you go to the nearby side of your ship and up high. Ask when you purchase the internet service. This is certainly more convenient than staying in the internet cafe. (Of course, this assumes you have your own laptop.)

Just a reminder that as per CC guidelines re tour operators, tours etc. you must postyour recommendation in response to a request for that specific information or your post will be removed without notice.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Not necessarily ! This will be our 6th cruise to Bermuda and 5 have been in october. Many hot and humid times but all with perfect weather. Hoping for the same this coming october !

Thanks for the great information! We are set to visit there beginning of October so I suspect the temps will be a bit cooler.

Not necessarily ! This will be our 6th cruise to Bermuda and 5 have been in october. Many hot and humid times but all with perfect weather. Hoping for the same this coming october !

Ok by me if it is hot and humid.....I sooooo need a vacation

In response to your requests: DH & I and 3 friends snorkeled with Jessie James. They have a website that explains what they do, etc. We were picked up and dropped off at the dockyard. Be aware that they will charge your credit card if you are a no-show. Another group of 5 was booked on our excursion, but they never came. We waited for quite a while, but Chloe didn't want to cut into our time, so we eventually gave up on them. I assume she'll charge them (and then they'll complain here on cruise critic!). We snorkeled in the great sound (where the water is calmer- to check out our equipment and practice, etc), then visited a shipwreck which we observed through the glass windows in the bottom of the boat, then on to an outer reef for more snorkeling.

DH & I did not rent mopeds (although we have in the past), but some of our group did. There are moped rentals right at the dockyard, but one couple contacted Oleander Cycles before sailing to arrange for a double cycle for three days. Their website is oleandercycles dot bm. They were very satisfied with this company. As for driving around Bermuda, the driver is an experienced motorcycle driver, so he had no trouble with the motorcycle (other than less power, etc!). The biggest difference is that they drive on the left (which makes their rotaries/circles rather confusing). From what I saw and heard (from those using mopeds), you do not need to reserve in advance. (However- off topic- if you want to jet ski, definitely reserve asap- these booked quickly.)

My DH mentioned an Internet company, although the flyer I have with me (that our group used) says "Internationally Connected" with a website connectedinternationally dot com. They are in the dockyard (there are signs!), and their wi-fi reaches the whole dockyard area as well as our ship (the Summit) in the nightclub on deck 11 (the side along the dock). They have different packages and can help with local phone calls, etc. We had heard that the Frog and Onion also has wi fi, but no one in our group used them, so I can't verify that.

Although the ship's service is more expensive, if you only need to do one thing (like check in for a flight), you would probably be better off using the ship, paying by the minute. Personnel in the ilounges were very helpful. Also, most people were surprised that the ship's connection wasn't as slow as they had been warned.

As DH mentioned, you can't predict which side will be dockside- and either way will have advantages and disadvantages.

how deep was the water where they took you to snorkel, also how may people did they take with you?

Did you head to hamilton or st georges?

How was the ferry or bus service...

Do you happen to remember the cost for the wifi packages? Thanks!

Sorry, don't because I got I think 45-50 minutes free as past passenger perk and only used whatever that amount was since just checking for messages from home etc.(and I have no cellphone or computer time every day i.e. they are on 'vacation' too).;) But I think it's on Celebrity website or ask on Celebrity message board and you will get I bet an immediate response

In response to your requests: DH & I and 3 friends snorkeled with Jessie James. They have a website that explains what they do, etc. We were picked up and dropped off at the dockyard. Be aware that they will charge your credit card if you are a no-show. Another group of 5 was booked on our excursion, but they never came. We waited for quite a while, but Chloe didn't want to cut into our time, so we eventually gave up on them. I assume she'll charge them (and then they'll complain here on cruise critic!). We snorkeled in the great sound (where the water is calmer- to check out our equipment and practice, etc), then visited a shipwreck which we observed through the glass windows in the bottom of the boat, then on to an outer reef for more snorkeling.

How was the snorkeling on the outer reef? Is the reef alive and colorful? Lots of fans, coral and fish?

I hope I cover all the questions: we snorkeled with Jessie James; I assume the other snorkel trips would be similar (except for boat size). Our boat could have handled 16 people (DD did take 16 with her the first day- I assume it was crowded). We only had 5, so we had plenty of space and could transfer side to side to get (or avoid) the sun. Both of our snorkeling stops were in water deep enough that you could not stand up. I don't know how deep, but the coral reefs were close enough to the surface that you could see them clearly. (But not worry about scraping your stomach.) Most of the coral was alive, although there were some less colorful (AKA dead) spots (very few). At the outer reef, a good proportion of the coral were quite large (and healthy); a nice assortment of types. Fish were plentiful, more so at the outer reef. Most of our previous snorkeling has been in the Caribbean (several times in Belize, also St Thomas, Roatan, etc). One of our group had snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef in Australia; we all had fun and thought the snorkeling (and what we could see) was great.

One caveat: our boat did not have a toilet (except for the big one off the side LOL). No drinks were served (bring water). Also, they do have a limited number of prescription masks for those of us who wear glasses. DH used a set and loved them! They provide noodles for those who would like a little lift in the water. Since I didn't use one, I don't know how easy it was to snorkel with one.

Did you head to hamilton or st georges?

How was the ferry or bus service...

We took the ferry to St George (about 45 minutes?) (on the faster of the two types of ferries). We took a bus from St George to Hamilton (to the bus depot) and then walked down to the ferry station for a ferry back to the dockyard. While we were in St George, we took a sightseeing tour on a tram ($15 each because we had a group) (about one hour).

On another day, we took the bus from the dockyard to Horseshoe Bay (and back again). For HSB, look for a number 7 or a "Special" bus. Everything was clearly marked and there were people to guide you to the right stop- just ask!

The evening activities in Hamilton were cancelled due to rain (which means we just have to go back LOL!).

On another day, we took the bus from the dockyard to Horseshoe Bay (and back again). For HSB, look for a number 7 or a "Special" bus. Everything was clearly marked and there were people to guide you to the right stop- just ask!

Thanks for the information.....it's very helpful.

When we go on October 2nd we plan at least a half day at Horseshoe Bay.

Any recommendations as to which day of the 3 you are docked in Bermuda seemed to be the "mad rush" day to the beach? I'm wondering if the beach is the excursion/activity that most people do first.

Also, I've read that chairs are in demand at HB if you don't get there early. I'm all for the "get-up-and-go" philosophy, but it IS vacation and I AM traveling with others. I'll do whatever I have to do, but this is what this message board is all about....helping others with their traveling experience....so thanks again.

Sorry, don't because I got I think 45-50 minutes free as past passenger perk and only used whatever that amount was since just checking for messages from home etc.(and I have no cellphone or computer time every day i.e. they are on 'vacation' too).;) But I think it's on Celebrity website or ask on Celebrity message board and you will get I bet an immediate response

Thanks Caroline - I was actaully wondering if the OP remembered the price of the wifi that she found off the ship that worked in the Dockyard area. Do you happen to remember JerseyGem?

Thanks for the information.....it's very helpful.

When we go on October 2nd we plan at least a half day at Horseshoe Bay.

Any recommendations as to which day of the 3 you are docked in Bermuda seemed to be the "mad rush" day to the beach? I'm wondering if the beach is the excursion/activity that most people do first.

Also, I've read that chairs are in demand at HB if you don't get there early. I'm all for the "get-up-and-go" philosophy, but it IS vacation and I AM traveling with others. I'll do whatever I have to do, but this is what this message board is all about....helping others with their traveling experience....so thanks again.

Our first day was to St. George. Lines for that ferry and lines for the beach buses.

Second day was to the beach . . . lines for that bus too. We took the special and the dispatcher sent it off when all seats were full with just a few standees. We got to the beach 10:30 or so, both umbrells and chairs were available. Unlike at the Caribbean beaches, you carried the stuff you rented and tried to get you own umbrella into the sand. Hardpack or coral made it difficult to get it more than a foot deep and a number blew over.

Talking to people in our group, the beach at HB was less crowded the third day. Warwick was not crowded on any of the days.

Buses returning from beach and St George were crowded.

Thanks Caroline - I was actaully wondering if the OP remembered the price of the wifi that she found off the ship that worked in the Dockyard area. Do you happen to remember JerseyGem?

I think it was $5 a half hour . . . not positive.

I read the linked article and yep, that's the guy. He is service oriented. I used his phone service for a local call to add a person to our snorkel trip as I was unable to make the phone booth operate. He charged me $1, when the local cost is $0.50 . . . off course I got Chloe's voice mail as she was out with DD's crew. After I hung up, he came over, told me to call back and leave a message with his number and he would take a message if/when a return call was made. I did as he suggested, as I was down the stairs and almost outside my return call was in and he called me back. Clearly a dollar well spent! I recommend him!

I hope I cover all the questions: we snorkeled with Jessie James; I assume the other snorkel trips would be similar (except for boat size). Our boat could have handled 16 people (DD did take 16 with her the first day- I assume it was crowded). We only had 5, so we had plenty of space and could transfer side to side to get (or avoid) the sun. Both of our snorkeling stops were in water deep enough that you could not stand up. I don't know how deep, but the coral reefs were close enough to the surface that you could see them clearly. (But not worry about scraping your stomach.) Most of the coral was alive, although there were some less colorful (AKA dead) spots (very few). At the outer reef, a good proportion of the coral were quite large (and healthy); a nice assortment of types. Fish were plentiful, more so at the outer reef. Most of our previous snorkeling has been in the Caribbean (several times in Belize, also St Thomas, Roatan, etc). One of our group had snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef in Australia; we all had fun and thought the snorkeling (and what we could see) was great.

One caveat: our boat did not have a toilet (except for the big one off the side LOL). No drinks were served (bring water). Also, they do have a limited number of prescription masks for those of us who wear glasses. DH used a set and loved them! They provide noodles for those who would like a little lift in the water. Since I didn't use one, I don't know how easy it was to snorkel with one.

Thanks you really answered all my questions. We have been snorkeling in some pretty spectacular areas and I'm always looking for another similar experience.

Did you book this ahead of the cruise or can it be booked at the docks?

At Internationally Connected, two packages were $25.00 for three hours or $10.00 for one hour. They might have had other packages. I don't know the price at the Frog & Onion, but the two locations are close enough that you could walk to each to price-shop.

For Jessie James (and I think most of the snorkel excursions), you would need to make arrangements in advance. They are not based at the dockyard, and only come there if a someone books and requests pick-up there.

We are thinking about booking a cruise to Bermuda in October that would spend a few days in port and were wondering what to expect for weather conditions and water temps, still warm enough to swim?

I know hurricanes can be a concern that time of year too.

Archived