Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AWAprincess

Victory 3/13-3/20 REVIEW part 2

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to post this!!

The long embarkation was due to the amount of people in line. I think they started letting people on the ship at 11 am or so. The longest one was getting checked in.

Okay...the Camp Carnival...WOWOWOWOWOW. Totally incredible!! Please don't forget to tip them at the end of the week...I never saw anyone else w/ those "envelopes" for the Camp Carnival counselors. I had one child in each club...my 4yr old was in the 2-5, my 7 yr old was in the 6-8 and my 10 yr old was in the 9-11 group. The 2-5's always stay in Camp Carnival...so it's easy to know where to drop and pick them up. The other two groups, you have to get a Capers to know what ******** they're doing and where and at what time. haha. The 6-8 yr olds, I mostly had to drop her off in the Black and Red Seas...which by the way, is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! Loved that bar! The 9-11 year olds...they seem to learn the ship quickly and more than you. So if YOU ever get lost...just ask your 10 year old...they'll know it better than you! Why? Cuz the counselors send them out in groups on these scavenger hunts...looking for stuff on the ship. AWESOME!! and my son absolutely LOVED it! The 9-11 yr olds, they can sign themselves in and out. In the beginning, I didn't feel completely comfortable with that...and I was always there with him. And my son knew not to sign himself out unless we were there. I was concerned he'd get lost and now know where the cabin was. He quickly learned the ship and I felt more confident on him signing himself out at the end. We just told him to always go to his cabin. He loved the freedom! My children never wanted to leave the Camp Carnival...and fought with us when we wanted to take them off the ship. They only got off the ship in Grand Cayman...why not? It's their cruise too so I let them do what they wanted.

Since we've done this itinerary before...and had done some of the excursions before...we opted to do NO excursions. My idea before we went was...in Cozumel we wanted to rent something and drive around the island and find remote beaches and find some real Mexican restaurant along the drive to eat lunch. In Grand Cayman we just wanted to do the 7mile beach, since we've never done that before...we'd always done the Stingray thing. In Ocho...tha'ts easy...MARGARITAVILLE!!

Okay Cozumel...we didn't make it off the ship until 11am...and had to be back to the ship at 4:45 to take the kiddos to dinner. (Camp Carnival will take your kids to dinner every night except for the last night but they break for a hour before they do so from 4:45-5:45p) So we didn't have much time to really do anything...so we got in a cab over to Nachi Cocum (can't remember the name)...tried to get wristband things to drink...they claimed that they didn't have them...so we just bought each individual drink...we stayed there for awhile and walked the beach down to Mr. Sanchez. MUCH better place in my opinion. Seemed nicer and there was a nice shopping area...and they seemed to have more to do on this beach. We ate lunch there...actually ordered Nachos w/ chicken and burritoes. AWESOME food!! So glad we went there. We live and learned though...next time we will purchase the day before our trip so we can have the all-inclusive food/drink.

Then came Carlos 'n Charlie's. WOW!! We dropped the kiddos back off in Camp Carnival and then took a cab to CnC's. If you've been to CnC's before, then I don't even need to say anymore! Lets just say...that they love to get you drunk...!! haha. We were smashed in less than 2hrs. Thanks to the conga line type thing...where you do several shots. Watch out for them!! lol. I carryied my hubby back to the ship (haha j/k)...where he passed out at 10:30pm and stayed passed out until the following night at 10:30pm. Yup folks...he lost an entire day at sea!! He couldn't get out of bed all day!! I had a fabulous day and made sure that I rubbed it in everytime I'd go back to the cabin. Oh and I also made sure I had a foofoo drink in my hand and only to be polite asked him if he wanted any, hehehehehe. I know, I'm bad!! haha.

Day at sea...was great! Kids had a blast out by the pool...and me..stupid me...put lip gloss on..and burnt my lips in the sun. Please don't make the same mistake...learn from mine and get the sunscreen chapstick. My lips got so sunburned that they swelled up. Lets just say...that I don't think I'll ever get botox!! I think I like my lips just the way they are!! haha.

Okay...gotta run...I'll post Part 3 soon!! Look for it soon!!!

Traci

Thanks for your report that was vey good on the kids acttives. This will make parents more at ease, putting the kids in Camp. Thanks again

!

Day at sea...was great! Kids had a blast out by the pool...and me..stupid me...put lip gloss on..and burnt my lips in the sun. Please don't make the same mistake...learn from mine and get the sunscreen chapstick. My lips got so sunburned that they swelled up. Lets just say...that I don't think I'll ever get botox!! I think I like my lips just the way they are!! haha.

Okay...gotta run...I'll post Part 3 soon!! Look for it soon!!!

Traci

That is just too funny!!!! (The botox, I mean) Sorry about your lips, and thanks for the tip. My 2 girls will just have to put up with chapstick instead of their gloss.:)

Sounds like you had a fantastic time, thanks for the review!!!

Years ago, I burned my lips so badly that they blistered. Ended up going to the ship's doctor for treatment. It was not pretty believe me. I think too, once you've gotten "burned" you always will wear 30 SPF chapstick and re-apply often. Plus, I think you are more prone to blistering once you've done it. Bet you won't be doing that again?? Great review and glad you had a nice time. Bet your DH won't be doing "that" again either!

AWAPrincess, my kids are SO looking forward to Camp Carn again...they loved it on the last cruises. Did yours do the new things, Educruise and ExerSeas, or are they part of the regular schedule?

I was nervous also about letting them run the ship, but you are right, they find their way around so quickly!

We are planning the adults only trip to C&C also, will definitely have to watch my DH so that he doesn't lose that next at-sea day!! Great lip gloss tip - never thought about that...

Great review! It's making me want to get there(only 3 more days!!) even more!!

Thanks for the great info...I am leaving on the Victory on Sunday..

Mr. Sancho's looked good to us, but getting your opinion made up my mind! we will definetly go there.!

Hi Tracy,

I have a question,

I have a 7 year old son who is afraid to go on the Dunn's..

I don't think they will let him anyway, but my wife and I want to climb them.

Can I live my son in camp carnival till we come back? from what time to what time can he stay there?

Hi there!!

The camp opens at 7-8 in the morning...and you can leave the kids there until 4:45pm. The ship sails before then...so no worries mon!!

The Camp Carnival was GREAT!! They really took care of the kids with many activities thoroughout the day!! My kids didn't want to miss out on anything!! Oh...if you have a child in the 9-11yo group...on Friday night, they have the all-nighter...it starts at 10pm and goes until 8am...think it costs $35...they don't let the kids fall asleep...they keep them moving doing different things. But let me tell you...the ship was sure quiet on Saturday with those 9-11yo's sleeping!! I think they all slept until 2-3pm!! hahahaha.

Yea...I definately will be a lil' more careful w/ my lips. This was my 11th cruise...and never have I worried about my lips burning. I still have some dried lips...but they're getting better. I was so worryied that they'd be ugly forever!! haha.

And my hubby has never been that drunk before...I've never seen him like that before! Nor have I ever passed out at 6:30pm before!! Damn that Victory!! I blame it all on the ship!! hahaha.

Yes...Mr. Sanchez was the place!! I will go there next time...but make sure to purchase the all-inclusive!! If you can. If they dont' offer it...try a different place like Playa Mia...we went there last time and had a blast!

Thanks for the replies!!

Traci;)

Hi, We are taking four grandkids on the Victory, have one ? we are taking the late seating for dinner. How will this affect the kids & c.c. Will they be missing to much? When we booked we were thinking about the port days & getting back to the ship, shower & rest before dinner. The kids do get so tired, we don't want any whinning at dinner.

Char

Could you please tell me what beverages were served in the buffet on the Lido Deck, Is there Punch and Leomade Or just water and Ice Tea.

Char...

what time is your sitting? Cuz the CC has the kid's from 5:45pm-10pm...they have fun activities usually in that time. The only FREE time is when they open-noon everyday. So yea...they may miss out. We had the 5:45pm sitting which was perfect...however, we talked w/ the maitre'd and he said that it was fine to be up to a half hour late for dinner. Cuz we originally wanted the 6:15pm dinner. We only made it to dinner 3x. My hubby and I went twice..and the night he was "sick"...I told the kids that I didn't want to go by myself...so the oldest and youngest wanted to go with me to dinner...the middle child wanted to eat w/ the CC. To be honest...the kids enjoy the CC dinner so much more!! They've all had the chance to eat in the main dining room...after knowing what that's like...and what it's like to eat w/ CC...they all opted for CC. They even wanted to eat lunch with them on the port days.

My waiter, CLAIMED they didn't have a kids menu in the main dining room...just told me they had everything for kids. But my kids really enjoy looking at menu's...so we had to guess at what they wanted. I've heard that they do have the kids menus. Maybe he just didn't have one on hand. He wasnt' very friendly with the kids. And my kids are very well behaved at dinner. They sit...don't move...aren't loud...they're like little adults in the main dining room.

They had lemonade, fruit punch, apple juice, iced tea and water to drink 24hrs a day. In the dining room you can get expresso's and cappachino's. Hope this helps ya out!!! :)

Traci

HI!

Thanks for the great review. It makes me wish June 5th would get here sooner! BTW--my DH lost a bit of our last cruise to a combo of CoCo Locos, Yellow Birds, and Tequila shots on CoCo Cay! He was in pretty bad shape! Hope he learned his lesson so it doesn't happen this year! LOL!

haha...funny how I knew what ship you were on just by you saying the names of the drinks!! I've been on the Sovereign several times. It's my home away from home!! haha!! Planning another Sovereign cruise in May!!

Yes...hopefully he'll stay good!! I always say that...then always have one bad night!! LOL.

Have fun...I know you will!! The Victory is a beautiful ship!!

Traci

clvince, what we did last time was take a quick rest/nap around 4-4:30, then got thee younger kids 6 and 2 ready and took them to eat with the Camp Carn counselors at 6:00, then they go right to Camp Carn. The dining room with us was too long for them, they got fidgety. After we took them to their CC dinner, we got ready and hit the sushi bar, then went to the 8:00 dinner with the oldest kid. It worked great.

On the first cruise, we did the 6:15 dinner, but we were always late because after the whole day ashore or by the pool, we were tired and getting ready to make dinner was stressful.

Thanks Traci & Cool cruiser

We are set for the 7:45 I think. The kids are two 10's two 13's & a8 year old. The boy will be alone & we aren't sure we can get him to go to CC we will see. Don't know if you will know this answer but are they able to take a kid with some problems? The boy will have only just started 1st. grade when we go. Will they work with him he isn't real slow ( couldn't hear for his first three years) so he is behind his group. He is real big for his age on top of everything else so people expect more out of him. Will be behind the rest of the group of 8 year olds. Any advice!!!!

Char

Hi Char!!

I know the kids will have a blast!! Not sure of your question...I would talk with Camp Carnival...I know they will help you the best way they can!! They're very accomodating! Good luck and have a fabulous cruise!!

Traci

I have enjoyed reading you posts! We set sail 5.1:cool:

Just wondering if they charge for the espresso’s and cappuccino’s:confused:

Thank you

D

Hi there!!

No charge for those in the dining room. Although they have a coffee specialty shop on the Promenade deck...awesome! We had banana splits there and some cookies...the cookies are $1 and the splits were $3.95. Well worth it when we wanted something different. The ship never had anything but cakes...except in the dining room or in this specialty coffee shop.

I have been so busy...that I haven't had the time to post part 3...maybe sometime today. Take care and have a FAB cruise!! Definately doing the Sovereign though in May...just deciding between the 3 or the 4 day. I'm ready to get pampered again!! haha. When is everyone's next cruise??

Traci

Great Review!!!

Can't help but think that your sunburnt lips might have been some payback for relishing in your husband"s illness!!!!! Just kidding!!!! Lucky you didn't get a cold sore on top of that. A couple other potential sunburn sites that people neglect are ears and feet. Burning the top of our feet makes us appreciate all the tiny bones we have there. Trust me, I speak from experience. And yes, I now have to be very careful. I did get sun poisoning and now it can reoccurr if I am not careful.

Thanks for your fun review. I'll be on the Victory in October!!!

Joan

Sail on...........

Hi Joan!! hhahahahhaha...you're probably right!! ;) lol. Why is it that somehow it always comes back and bites me in the a......? haha. I've never seen him hungoever before. He's not much for getting drunk...and it's me that gets hungover very easily. So it's usually me that can't get their head up off the pillow. So it was a different scenerio for me! hehe.

Yup no cold sores...and I'll have to say that my lips are back to normal! I live in Orlando...so I make sure I have the chapstick with spf in it!

Traci :)

Your husband's little problem, reminds of this past New Years. Every New Years I am the one getting drunk and feeling sooo ill the next morning. This year, I just didn't really feel like over doing it, but boy did my husband overdo it. I LOVED IT!! Aren't I so bad. It felt so good not to be the one praying to the toilet in the middle of the night. I tried not to giggle, but it was kind of funny. Now don't get me wrong, love my husband a ton, but this was just a nice turn of the tables. Well thanks for the great info on the Victory. We are going in December. We are doing the Eastern itinerary.