Ports in Alaska

Denali2003

Oh man that stinks!! I wonder if any of the other cruise lines go there.

I know that HAL does go to Sitka. I'm more familiar with the RT sailings out of Seattle and basically the major difference between HAL and Princess is that Princess goes to Skagway and some HAL sailings go to Sitka instead.

HAL does go to Kodiak (and Sitka) on their 14 day cruise aboard the Amsterdam. I have booked it for next June. I think HAL is the only major line that goes there. I love Princess and was disappointed that they no longer offer this itinerary..

HAL is about the only one visiting Kodiak, with the exception of Silversea heading to/from Asia. HAL, Regent, Silversea do Sitka this year anbd next, with a one time visit by Century and Dawn Princess (on her Circle the Pacific cruise). EM

I stopped at Kodiak last Aug on the Royal Princess 14 day route, that was one of the main reasons I choose that cruise. This is a very infrequent port stop but a nice little town to visit.

We went there on the Royal last year and it is easy to understand why they don't go anymore - those and a couple of others were fillers to justify a 14 day cruise - they didn't justify them to us :-)

Sitka is a very small tender port, with a long tender ride.

A 3,000 passenger ship doesn't fare very well there.

You wait for hours to board a tender to go ashore and then wait hours again to get back onboard.

Kodiak is nice, but too far away.

The only reasonable way to go there is on a longer cruise (14 days) that most Americans cannot afford.

It is possible to get there on a 7-day trip, but the PVSA will not allow a one-way trip between Seattle and Kodiak. The 7-day has to go from Vancouver. Too many Americans cannot or will not afford the open jaw air tickets for such a trip.

Archived