Labadee

Nikilee

We stopped in Labadee in 2002. It is a very nice beach area, RCCL sets up a buffet off of the beach and there are lots of places to grab a lawn chair and relax. One of the beaches has waves that are rolling in and the other beach is very calm. If you want the calm beach, I would say get there early, most of the spots were taken by the time we got off of the ship on the calm beach and the other side had lots of places, but most were in the sun.

Lots of servers walking around selling drinks:rolleyes: .

They do also have a flee market, with tee-shirts and lots of beautiful wood carvings. DO NOT PAY THE PRICES THEY ARE ASKING, if you can wait until later in the day before the ship pulls out to bargin with the people, you will get much better prices.

It was a very relaxing day, if you love the sun and the water you will have a great day.

We were there about two years ago; I think there has been a big hurricane since then, so I don't know how changed it is. But we really enjoyed our day there. It is a "beach" day, but unlike many of the other cruise line owned beaches, there are several different beaches somewhat separated from each other. So you don't feel crowded together. Seems like there was one with coral reef, snorkling, etc.

Nice little market set up that we enjoyed.

The whole area is fenced off from the island, and I think entry is very strictly regulated

wow...wish I was there tomorrow. We were there in July '04. Veeeeery nice and relaxing. This is beach time, like one huge sandbox surrounded by the ocean. When they tender you ashore, don't be afraid to walk to the other side of island (straight ahead) or go to your left out on the point. Everyone seems to gather where they let you off and to the right, kinda like a lagoon with play area for little ones. They have parasailing, jet skis, or just kick back. Nice shaded areas also. Don't be in a hurry to get off if your there all day, wait an hour or two, let the crowds die down. Our TA recommended this and we went right off. Don't worry, there are plenty of chairs. Enjoy :cool::)

We visited in June 2003. A great day at the beach! If you like rum, do try the "Coco Locos" they are yummy, but be careful drinking too much in the hot sun. My husband rented snorkel equipment and I got a floating mat and we had the best time. Very relaxing! The little market has some wonderful items but as said in another post, do not pay what they are asking. You would be suprised at what they will accept. I've never haggled before and was a little shy about it but it turned out to be fun! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Labadee. We were there on Tuesday March 29th. I thought it was beautiful. The sun was shining and the water was clear. We got off the tender and went toward the water park. Two guys asked if we needed chairs and they got them and set them up for us. We actually stayed down by the water park end (it cost $15.00 to go in and there are trampolines and icebergs to climb) for several hours. I saw the jet skis and went over to talk with them. I was afraid to book this in advance because it said "guided" tour and I didn't know how it would be. After seeing the jet skis and talking with the people I booked one on the spot for my husband and 10 year old (of course the 10 year old had to ride on the back). It was $99.00 and we think it was worth it. You watch a video and have a briefing for about 15 min and then you get on the ski. There is a tour guide but once you get past the cruise ship you can go full throttle. My husb and son enjoyed this. The guide let them stop and take a dip in the ocean. She also gave them some history about Labadee. Their tour started at 11:30 and they didn't get back til 12:45. We ate lunch and then walked the short distance up the path to where there were some vendors. The first building you come to is great. You can walk through without being hasseled but I would stay out of the next one. People were putting stuff in our hands, grabbing and trying to pull you to their spot, trying to get you to buy. I was turned off and ended up leaving. We went back to the beach for about 20 min and then got in line for the tender back to the ship. There are several beach areas on Labadee and most are within walking distance. I enjoyed this day.

lost of fun ..definetly a beach day..ocean is calm..if its one of last stops it is definely nice to just relax.....didint do any excursions...nut might this time...food was arranged by RCL and is inclusive...floating mats i think were like $5...warm water....was actually one of our favorite stops cuz everything is readily accessible ie bathroooms food..etc and no cab rides or other logistics to work out

RCL Voyager of the seas 04-30-2005

• 2 months later...

Was one of our favorite stops (May this year). Would recommend last beach (hideaway)--least crowded. The water is very calm, clear (especially Hideaway Beach). Buffets are served at three different locations, so minimal walking for food no matter which spot you are at. Locals are very aggressive in market, but is very poor country. Although RC makes it clear that lounge chairs are free and not to "pay" for them, locals are eager to place them for you, and we didn't mind tipping for the service at all. Was very relaxing day. My 18 year-old DS fell asleep for three hours there (in shade, luckily). Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I were just there, June 2005. We were on the Voyager of the sea's. This excursion was just great. I even was able to snorkel and did see some colorful fish, but be forewarned, bring water shoes, and watch out for sea orchins, ouch, they have spikes:eek:. The beach BBQ was just ok and the coco loco's pack a punch. The market has many crafts, I should have brought the cane I admired, alot of detail. Be sure to bargain, the venders are pretty aggressive, but you can haggle. Have fun:)

• 2 months later...

Favorite stop on our last cruise! Haiti was the last place we thought we would have the best time in!

We did the SeaDoo excursion and still had loads of time to spend on the beach. The set up was fantastic. I think the area right at the tip of the jetty of land was called the Giant's steps or something. It was a pretty spectacular hike to the end (not strenuous, just beautiful). The beaches are along both sides of the Jetty. The Eastern side was major surf, few people. The Western side was calm and crowded.

Not a good stop if you plan to mix with the locals. This is a private 'island' for all intents and purposes. Lots of security guards around.

My Hubby and I were there in February and it is beautiful. Like other post say they are aggressive at the markets. They almost beg you to buy from them. They will even lie to try and get you. Afew of them said we promised to buy something from them.. we just laughed and continued walking. Next time we will just do lunch and hang around the beach, great swimming. The lunch that was served was just ok, jerk chicken, hamburgs, potato salade, carrot cake, some fruit, nothing spectacular. We really did have a great day there, great beaches.

Archived