Political sitiuation Septmeber Israel/Palestine

57thny

Celebrity Silhouette is staying in Haifa, not docking in Ashdod. Makes tours to the Dead Sea more or less impossible unless done without an overnight in Jerusalem, or perhaps at the Dead Sea. Tours to Jerusalem are still possible from Haifa, it just adds about 100 miles to the driving for the day.

Celebrity Silhouette is staying in Haifa, not docking in Ashdod. Makes tours to the Dead Sea more or less impossible unless done without an overnight in Jerusalem, or perhaps at the Dead Sea. Tours to Jerusalem are still possible from Haifa, it just adds about 100 miles to the driving for the day.

Sorry to hear about this but as I suspected, Celebrity is taking the safe position for a while. For those looking for something to do out of Haifa, consider some time in Acre. It's an old Crusader City and Fortress and the Knights Templar were based there. It's about 10 to 12 miles from Haifa.

Very upsetting...we cruise on Silhouette on 9/15...with 3 days scheduled in Ashdod....hope this doesn't happen then....:(

Very upsetting...we cruise on Silhouette on 9/15...with 3 days scheduled in Ashdod....hope this doesn't happen then....:(

Ashdod to Jerusalem is 70 KM ( 42 miles) by car. Haifa to Ashdod is 164 KM ( abit over 100 miles) all highway. ( Source is Google maps) Difference is 94 km or one hour of driving.

Ashdod to Tel Aviv is 40 km, Haifa to Tel Aviv isa 96 Km, a difference of 56 km, or about 45 minutes.

Not the end of the world if you have planned to tour these places out of Ashdod. You should be able to have tour companies reroute

Ashdod to Jerusalem is 70 KM ( 42 miles) by car. Haifa to Ashdod is 164 KM ( abit over 100 miles) all highway. ( Source is Google maps) Difference is 94 km or one hour of driving.

Ashdod to Tel Aviv is 40 km, Haifa to Tel Aviv isa 96 Km, a difference of 56 km, or about 45 minutes.

Not the end of the world if you have planned to tour these places out of Ashdod. You should be able to have tour companies reroute

Thank you...the Dead Sea and Masada a bit farther but we will work it out....

Although I know this change in port plan wouldn't be what any of us are looking for, I did contact our guide that is taking us to Jerusalem and Dead Sea our first day in Ashdod and have been told that if we spend the time in Haifa instead, that they will just come pick us up there. It may be about 10 dollars extra per person for the further distance, but it wouldn't be as earth shaking as it sounds like at first.

Hopefully for Israel's sake, life can settle down. I know many of us will continue to follow this thread, so hope that ship updates will continue to be posted.

Cathy in New Hampshire

Hopefully for Israel's sake, life can settle down. I know many of us will continue to follow this thread, so hope that ship updates will continue to be posted.

Life has pretty much settled down, thats why the decision in the case of the Silhouette this week to stay in Haifa was a bit surprising.

The issue with running tours of Jerusalem and the Dead Sea from Haifa is the extra mileage involved. Driving from Haifa to Masada is AT LEAST a 3 hour drive, and its close to 300 km each way. Most tour companies base a standard day of touring on 200km of driving, so as you can see, you're talking about 400km of extra mileage. Now, add to that the fact that the guides reserved for the tours are most likely based nearer to Ashdod than Haifa, and in some cases that guide will need to travel up to 100km just to get to the port, then drive a further 600km for the tour, and then at the end of the day, they will likely need to drive another 100km to get home for the night.

I understand that the ship tours on the Silhouette to the Dead Sea/Masada went ahead as planned, but they can probably get around this problem by using 2 drivers, and of course they could absorb the extra mileage among the 50 or so passengers. But for a private tour company, or an independent guide, you can imagine that its just not possible for them to absorb the cost. Remember, some of these guides will have rented a vehicle that they will need to pay over mileage on, plus if you figure in Gas prices of $8 per gallon.... Thats a huge additional expense for a 1 day tour. If the private tour companies agree to go to the Dead Sea as planned, you can be sure that there will be considerable extra costs involved.

Now having said all that, there is still PLENTY of stuff to see in Israel without going to the Dead Sea. It might actually give people the opportunity to go and tour Tel Aviv - a city that definitely deserves more consideration that it tends to get from cruise passengers.

I would STRONGLY recommend you discuss this with your Tour Operator so that these issues will not come as a surprise should they eventuate.

jj68rr,

Thank you for your wealth of information. Since I have never been to Israel, as many of us going there for the first time, we are depedant on the information of others like yourself.

I was only passing on the information that I was given from our tour company when I asked what would need to happen to get to our original tour of Jerusalem and the Dead Sea that is scheduled to go out of Ashdod. I had said that we would be willing to spend a night in a hotel. His comment back was :

The tour will go as planned even if it is coming from Haifa. However, we might charge a $10 surcharge per person for the long drive. I do not suggest to plan for an overnight at the moment due to the unpredictability situation in Israel right now. So for our guest’ security we suggest an overnight in the ship each day. If by any chance, the situation get better you can always make the last minute plan on staying overnight. Just advise your guide or send us an email.

At this point, I haven't given hope that we won't still make it in to Ashdod in which case none of this will matter. I am NOT doubting your informatin and for now, I think I'll see if the ships still to come will be also dropping Ashdod. Do you know if the Pacific Princess made it in to port today?

As far as Tel Aviv, that is our travel destination plan for the second day we were to be docked in Ashdod. Yes, some juggling may need to be done if we encounter the change, but for now, I think we just need to stay aware of the possibilities and take it as it comes.

Again, thank you so much for keeping us up to date as to how things are over there as well as the change of ports on various cruise ships.

Cathy in New Hampshire

I received an email from our Tour Operator "Moti Bar-Tuv". In case the ship stays in Haifa and doesn't go to Ashdod all scheduled tours will be rerouted and will start from Haifa for no additional charge. The price won't be increased and will stay the same.

"Life has pretty much settled down....". I am not so sure. In addition to one crazy Palestinian guy attacking people in Tel Aviv, the Israeli military is arming some citizens because of concerns about unrest and the UN Vote.

8/30/2011: "Israeli army arms Jewish settlers in preparation for Palestinian unrest "

Jewish settlers across the West Bank are being armed and trained by the Israeli military in anticipation of unrest and violence leading up to a Palestinian demand for statehood at the United Nations in three weeks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/8731272/Israeli-army-arms-Jewish-settlers-in-preparation-for-Palestinian-unrest.html

The tour will go as planned even if it is coming from Haifa. However, we might charge a $10 surcharge per person for the long drive. I do not suggest to plan for an overnight at the moment due to the unpredictability situation in Israel right now. So for our guest’ security we suggest an overnight in the ship each day. If by any chance, the situation get better you can always make the last minute plan on staying overnight. Just advise your guide or send us an email.

Cathy in New Hampshire

This is exactly what our tour operator said too. We have never been to Israel and the Dead Sea is something we want to see, so I am happy they are trying to accommodate us.

"Life has pretty much settled down....". I am not so sure. In addition to one crazy Palestinian guy attacking people in Tel Aviv, the Israeli military is arming some citizens because of concerns about unrest and the UN Vote.

8/30/2011: "Israeli army arms Jewish settlers in preparation for Palestinian unrest "

Jewish settlers across the West Bank are being armed and trained by the Israeli military in anticipation of unrest and violence leading up to a Palestinian demand for statehood at the United Nations in three weeks.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/8731272/Israeli-army-arms-Jewish-settlers-in-preparation-for-Palestinian-unrest.html

I'm just trying to give you a sense of what is happening in daily life. Its very much business as usual for 99.999% of the country. That doesn't really take into account risk which is of course pretty much always there.

I just wanted to say that I'm appreciating ALL of the news on this thread. Whether it is from someone living in Israel with their perspective or what the news is printing. Nothing any of us can change, but I think it is good that we stay aware.

jj69rr, Do you know if Princess was able to get their ship in to Ashdod yesterday?

Cathy

I am working in Iraq and will be leaving Friday. Last night, email went out from the Public Affairs office that contractors leaving Iraq and Afghanistan via their own or contractor booked transport are NOT allowed to go into Israel at this current time if they want to come back under US government contracts. And most skilled tradespeople (electricians, HVAC, plumbers, etc) are planning to come back as the jobs pay well over here and there are few trades jobs in the USA that pay anything.

Very disappointing to quite a few. After 9-12 months in the "sandbox" with only 30 days total off duty, quite a few were planning a little vacation before they went home to the USA which would include Dubai, Egypt and Israel. Egypt has been off the table since last winter (Arab Spring uprising) but Israel sure hasn't been. It came as a shock to them and they are scrambling to redo airline tickets as most were leaving within 10 days. Quite a few were having wives/family fly to Dubai or Israel to meet them and enjoy a little vacation.

Overly cautious on the part of the US-probably. But I know the Navy is pulling a couple of ships (one carrier group) out of Qatar and sending them closer to the Suez/Sinai. Israel is moving ships closer to the Sinai in anticipation of trouble there BUT SO IS IRAN.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jsmPI38DssN9PQEC9oaRsk7NKzMA?docId=f6a73ab6678644c69591b69794120faf

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle-east/press-tv-iran-sending-submarine-warship-to-gulf-o

I just hope the additional military presence around Israel keeps the terrorists at bay. I feel very sorry for some of my colleagues who were anticipating a little fun with their families and are now spending the time trying to rearrange vacations.

This does not sound good.

8/30/2011: IDF boosts presence in south based on terror warnings

"The Israel Defense Forces has significantly bolstered its forces along the border with Egypt, the Gulf of Eilat and near the Gaza Strip as a result of solid intelligence that militants belonging to the Palestinian Islamic Jihad group are planning an attack in southern Israel. The warning has been described as "real." ...Defensive preparations are also being made to counter a scenario which sees militants attacking from the Gaza Strip via a tunnel, as well as the firing of rockets against Eilat and other Israeli communities..." .

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/idf-boosts-presence-in-south-based-on-terror-warnings-1.381464

And the good news.

8/31/2011: Israel deploys third Iron Dome anti-rocket battery near Ashdod

The Israel Defense Forces on Wednesday deployed a third Iron Dome anti-rocket battery outside the city of Ashdod.

"The deployment [near Ashdod] is part of a national emergency plan which I announced several weeks ago and is a concrete expression of defending Israel's residents from rockets and missiles," Defense Minister Ehud Barak said.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-deploys-third-iron-dome-anti-rocket-battery-near-ashdod-1.381781

Gracie,

From my understanding, the Pacific Princess didn't make it to Ashdod, but they did dock in Haifa. I think at this point with everything going on, any of our cruises will be lucky to get to spend the entire time in Haifa instead of not making it to Israel at all.

A lot has the potential of getting ugly over the next several weeks, so we can just keep an ear to the ground and hope for the best.

Cathy in New Hampshire

Gracie,

From my understanding, the Pacific Princess didn't make it to Ashdod, but they did dock in Haifa. I think at this point with everything going on, any of our cruises will be lucky to get to spend the entire time in Haifa instead of not making it to Israel at all.

A lot has the potential of getting ugly over the next several weeks, so we can just keep an ear to the ground and hope for the best.

Cathy in New Hampshire

Thanks...I couldn't get an answer anywhere...no one on Princess board's responded at all... I agree about the Haifa stop...sort of expect that's where we will be instead of Ashdod.

Was the Dead Sea and Massada tour with the cruise line canceled? We are scheduled for two days in Ashdod and one day in Haifa (after Ashdod) on Azamara Quest (also owned by RCCL) at the end of October and first week of November. Egypt was canceled and we ended up with extra time in Israel.

Yes, this protest is why we have switiched our Jerusalem tour to the 19th and going to the Dead Sea/Masada on the 20th.

Was the Dead Sea and Massada tour with the cruise line canceled? We are scheduled for two days in Ashdod and one day in Haifa (after Ashdod) on Azamara Quest (also owned by RCCL) at the end of October and first week of November. Egypt was canceled and we ended up with extra time in Israel.

We just returned from the 22 August Silhouette. We did not take the ship's excursion, but after announcement of the itinerary change, the daily Silhouette paper stated that all ship's tours would continue as scheduled, with minor modifications to the timing at the sights and return to ship times. We spoke to some people who took the ship's tours on the following two days, and most of them stated that the day was very long and that time at some of the locations was limited.

Archived