Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gdlamberth

Auckland Pre-Cruise

If you arte looking for assistance with shore excursions for the Port Of Tauranga then we can help with that. There is a lot to see and do locally to Tauranga as well as further away in Rotorua etc. Waitomo caves are within a pleasant drive and also the Hobiton movie sets from the Lord of the Rings are here in Matamata a 45 minute drive.

We are taking the Princess cruise on Jan 8th from Sydney to Auckland. You said that you could help with an excursion at Tauranga. We are 4 adults and would be interested in hearing what you have to offer and what the cost would be.

Thanks

We are taking the Princess cruise on Jan 8th from Sydney to Auckland. You said that you could help with an excursion at Tauranga. We are 4 adults and would be interested in hearing what you have to offer and what the cost would be.

Thanks

Hi, try the link at the head of the Austrlia/NZ thread page, just above the first thread displayed, they can probably help with your request.

We will arrive in Auckland on March 23rd and board the MV Discovery on March 25th for our Grand Pacific, Galapagos and Panama cruise. :D I don't think we will do a lot since we are flying Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Dubai and then finally Auckland directly. With the time difference, the long flight, we probably need a lot of sleep to catch up. But no problem. I have read enough info on this board to keep up busy. Especially the walk to the vulcano sounds fun. My question is, does anybody know in which harbour the Discovery will stay. We are looking for a hotel in the neighbourhood. I have no idea if the Discovery has been there already. Thank you for your help

As noted, the Hilton is right at the cruise ship dock, but, having stayed in that area (at the Copthorne) and having just returned from a month long North Island road trip, I would heartily recommend the Crowne Plaza. It is a bit further from the docks (probably a matter of five or six blocks) but the hotel was absolutely great, particularly on the "Club" floors, so you should sign up for their Priority Club if you aren't already a member. It was much quieter than the wharf area, and is located quite near the Sky City complex which is also a transportation hub. The AirBus stops right at the Crowne Plaza and the free City Circuit bus stops about block away. You'll probably want to take a cab to the ship just because of your luggage, but the Crowne was really a nice stay and it is rated the number one hotel in Auckland by Trip Advisor.

I wouldn't do the Copthorne again. It was noisy, service wasn't all that great, and the gym was a disgrace. Location was terrific, though!

Donna

Thanks

Best to check out the banner ads at the top of the AUS/NZ Ports of Call boards for more info on whats available. Regards