Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paradisegal

Zuiderdam...as warn & "bright" as...

Is the Z as worn out and decorated as brightly as some of the reviews I have read????? Is it really as tacky as I have heard??? I have sailed on the Zaandam and thought it was really well done........anyone have anything to add about the decor of the Z, good or bad??? And the food????? Anything???

paradisegal:rolleyes:

I didn't find it tacky at all. It does feature much brighter colors than the typical HAL decor, but since it was designed for Caribbean cruising it makes perfect sense, IMO. We sailed her during her first season and enjoyed it very much.

Bright colors aren't necessarily "tacky." Bright colors can be rich and vibrant. I look forward to seeing the Zuiderdam in July.

Is the Z as worn out and decorated as brightly as some of the reviews I have read????? Is it really as tacky as I have heard??? I have sailed on the Zaandam and thought it was really well done........anyone have anything to add about the decor of the Z, good or bad??? And the food????? Anything???

paradisegal:rolleyes:

Like you, I had read several comments about the color schemes and decor of the Zuiderdam prior to our 3/12 sailing. While the colors are bold, they were not objectionable to me. The ship seemed well maintained. The staff were very helpful and courteous. The food was mostly good, other than a couple of less than excellent entrees. I was disappointed with the lobster tail in the surf & turf entree (overcooked and very small, no drawn butter), and DW's lamb shanks were very tough. OTOH, another night her lamb chops, and leg of lamb were very good, and our beef was very good. I'd rate the food a 7 or 8 out of 10. They seemed to have a problem with consistency of doneness. My steaks, prime rib, etc were fine, but one of our tablemates seemed to always get an underdone entree.

Overall, we had a marvelous cruise, and were pleased with the ports (Eastern Caribbean), ship, entertainment, and food and service.

Thanks for the reply. I dont mind bright either...I am looking forward to sailing and writing my own review........all good of course!

Thanks Jim!!!! I am sure I will love the food, after all I don't have to cook or clean up...that in itself deserves an 8!!! LOL