Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?

On 2/2/2014 at 6:09 PM, cruise collector said:

hi

I have been collecting shipping emphera [menus,passenger lists, and the like] for many years mainly from the golden age of shipping early 1900s. My main area for collecting would be ebay,but if anybody out there also collects menus would love to here from you!

marty!

this is my list of menus I own in my collection:

I collect menus, I have maybe a little over 150 menus from various lines:

Holland America Line:  Statendam 1962, Nieuw Amsterdam 1970, Veendam 1984

Cunard: Ivernia 1961, Lancastria 1939, Queen Mary Gala Dinner 1958

Matson: Matsonia 1960

Grace Line: Santa Paula 1963

Home Lines: Oceanic 1971, Homeric 1988

Italian Line: Andrea Doria 1953, Michelangelo 1967

Sitmar: Fairwind 1977

French Line: France 1972

Alaska Steamship Lines: All Ships 1941

P&O: Canberra 1965, Oronsay 1966

Greek Line: Queen Anna Maria 1967

Royal Caribbean: All Fleet Souvenir Menus In Folder *unsure of year*

MSC: All Fleet Breakfast Menu

Pacific Far East Line: Monterey 1976

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Folks,

When I was a Commis Waiter and 1st Class Waiter aboard Cunard Steamship Company's RMS Caronia I kept several of the menus from the meals I'd served. Sadly, after several moves along the way I lost all my 1966 Great World Cruise menus, but many years later I came across those from the 1964 North Cape Cruise.

With the advent of eBay UK early in the Millennium and access to sellers in the USA, I began expanding my collection. By late 2003 I was amassing a fair amount of ephemera associated with the ship and it was time to decide on how I was going to catalogue this material, mainly to avoid buying duplicates. Postage costs from the USA to the UK have been a key factor in purchase decisions.

One thing I noticed was the amount of handling going on which alone might not be a problem, but lots of papers in small piles was putting too much stress on documents of a certain age. Certainly, there was a need to scan the artifacts, which by this time included cruise brochures, daily programmes, cruise logs and many other pieces emanating from the onboard print-shop. What to do?

Well, it was either build a boring database in dBase which I was proficient at or it had become time to learn HTML. Using a free program from AOL, and by early 2004, I had written the best part of 300 pages detailing where in the World the ship was on any particular day. If anything in the collection matched, a scan was provided. It was now easy to avoid buying duplicates and there was minimal handling. 

So, back then I launched the Caronia II Timeline on t'Interweb. In the meantime the site has grown to over 1,000 pages and the ephemera collection to 40 nearly filled foolscap filing boxes. What I had not bargained for was the reaction from site visitors. Very soon the Timeline was enabling me to collect and record other peoples' memories of the ship. This visitor feedback really helped me to fill many gaps in my own knowledge, especially of her early years when I was just a child. Several reunions were also brought about, across continents.

Even after nearly 50 years since the ship foundered outside Guam harbour, I'm amazed at how much interest there still is in this ship. If you, or anyone in your family, had associations with the ship we lovingly called "The Green Goddess", do please visit and I'd love to hear from you!

With Season's Greetings,

Steve

Caronia II Timeline Webmaster

• 1 month later...

I posted this in response to a question in another forum but it applies here:

In the early years of RCCL each passenger received a VERY large stem glass (imagine huge red wine stem) during the maiden voyages with the ship’s name and date; I still have Song of Norway, Nordic Prince, Sun Viking, etc. etc. Passengers also received glass ashtrays or glassware sets as souvenirs with the crown and anchor. I have these as well. Another unique piece was a diamond/platinum Crown and Anchor pendant designed by the original owners for the 10th anniversary celebration of the company and only about a dozen were made and gifted.

22 hours ago, CruisinSinceAge5 said:

I posted this in response to a question in another forum but it applies here:

In the early years of RCCL each passenger received a VERY large stem glass (imagine huge red wine stem) during the maiden voyages with the ship’s name and date; I still have Song of Norway, Nordic Prince, Sun Viking, etc. etc. Passengers also received glass ashtrays or glassware sets as souvenirs with the crown and anchor. I have these as well. Another unique piece was a diamond/platinum Crown and Anchor pendant designed by the original owners for the 10th anniversary celebration of the company and only about a dozen were made and gifted.

Possessing unique items from specific sailings or items that mark a significant event in a ship's or cruise company's history is important to collectors.  For me, to know that I received such because I was a part of that particular cruise or marking a historical event for the company makes the item more dear to me.  

You are fortunate to have such  items in your collection.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Possessing unique items from specific sailings or items that mark a significant event in a ship's or cruise company's history is important to collectors.  For me, to know that I received such because I was a part of that particular cruise or marking a historical event for the company makes the item more dear to me.  

You are fortunate to have such  items in your collection.  

Yes, each has a great deal of meaning. 

• 1 month later...

I have some really neat momentos from various cruises, including item's from friends:

Ship Yard Keel Laying Gift: Celebrity Equinox

1969 Record Album: Queen Elizabeth 2

Mikhail Lermentov 45 rpm record

Carnival Funnel Cup/Piggy Bank

shipyard_keel_laying_gift_by_wildelf34_dceql4i-fullview.jpg

queen_elizabeth_2_record_album_by_wildelf34_defk4jm-pre.jpg

ms_mikhail_lermontov_45rpm_record_by_wildelf34_ddh0wof-pre.jpg

carnival_funnel_bank_by_wildelf34_dbzgiv2-pre.jpg

• 1 month later...

It appears that more people are cleaning out their closets, perhaps in anticipation of cruising again, and collecting more souvenirs?

A brief glance at one shelf in a local thrift store this morning showed me a RC soda package glass, two RC Schooner Bar glasses, a Bahamas souvenir glass, and a souvenir of Perth, Australia.  Nothing as interesting or vintage as some of the above, but they are still out there.

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

It appears that more people are cleaning out their closets, perhaps in anticipation of cruising again, and collecting more souvenirs?

A brief glance at one shelf in a local thrift store this morning showed me a RC soda package glass, two RC Schooner Bar glasses, a Bahamas souvenir glass, and a souvenir of Perth, Australia.  Nothing as interesting or vintage as some of the above, but they are still out there.

Thrift shops sometime have interesting maritime souvenirs.  A friend of mine who volunteered at her church's thrift shop found an empty candy tin with a painting of R.M.S. Queen Mary on its lid; perfect condition.  There were a few other items that Pat found and added to my collection.  

I have several items from the classic age, including this letter from the maiden voyage of the Queen Mary from one of the prominent hoteliers of the time to F.L. Maytag .

PXL_20210420_215358830.jpg

PXL_20210420_215421727.jpg

21 hours ago, vunico said:

I have several items from the classic age, including this letter from the maiden voyage of the Queen Mary from one of the prominent hoteliers of the time to F.L. Maytag

Thank you for sharing!