Jump to content
,

Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?


CruiseAdict218
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, norboy76 said:

a neat SS Britanis spoon that looks like little native spears tied together (I've never seen a spoon like it before). I

 

That really is unique and actually quite nice looking!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

it was during an afternoon tea in the Ritz Carlton that our small group of vintage ship aficionados came up with the self-description of "shipgeeks".  We had dreams of buying Premier Cruiseline and maintaining those vintage ships, advertising them as such.

 

 

Think if that dream had been realized, when cruise line CEO's are discussed on CC, among the names of Micky Arison, Richard Fain, and Frank Del Rio would be Shipgeeks.  😃

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

That really is unique and actually quite nice looking!  

Thank you, I am going to take a photo of my full spoon collection, I have 7 spoon racks (some which are good sized and some small ones fully filled, and 1 rack not fully filled, so 8 spoon racks total 246 Cruise Ship and Ocean Liner spoons. Here is the photo of my nice collection. The oldest spoon is from the RMS Campania 1896 and the newest is when I took a cruise to Alaska on the Celebrity Solstice in 2019.

Spoon Collection.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

😍   WOW!  That's quite a collection!  

Thankyou, I have spoons for many lines, some that don't exist anymore. I have spoons for these lines:

Cunard, P&O, Orient Line, Sitmar, Canadian Pacific Steamships, NYK Line, Hamburg-Atlantic, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival, Chandris, Holland America Line, White Star Line, Blue Funnel Line, Furness-Withy, Anchor Line, Anchor-Donaldson, Townsend Thoreson, Sally Cruise Line, Saga Cruises, Pacific Steam Navigation, Adelaide Steamship Company, Norwegian Cruise Line, Fred Olsen, TT-Line, Huddart-Parker Line, Australian-National Line, Sundance Cruises, American Hawaii Cruises, Commodore Cruise Line, Dolphin Cruise Lines, Cape Canaveral Cruise Line, Crown Cruise Line, Costa, Chandris, Celebrity Cruises, Regal Cruises, Regency Cruises, Admiral Cruises, Imperial Majesty Cruises, Bahamas Cruise Line, Premier Cruise Line, Sun Cruises, Seawind Cruise Line, Royal Viking Line, Greek Line, Hamburg-America Line.

Edited by norboy76
updated info
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

There a few lines that are new to me:  Adelaide Steamship Company and Huddart-Parker Line as examples.  

Adelaide Steamship, Huddart Parker Line were Australian ship lines, they had both liners, cruise ships and ferries and cargo ships that did Melbourne, Tasmania, Adelaide runs, but I have spoons for their passenger ships in my collection.

1. Adelaide Steamship Company: 1875 - 2006 (bought and now fully owned by Maersk)

2. Huddart Parker Line: 1876 - 1961 (Ceased to exist after being taken over by an Oil Refinery Company

dd04mdq-9765b0f2-e2b6-4654-8ad1-07b2cafc8342.jpg

dd25tmj-c88ce9fe-6720-48db-891a-18f83cfc5c80.jpg

dd25svv-02508f2f-baad-493b-b3e5-b301ff288e4b.jpg

dd25sz2-d0a03e52-0d20-422b-bd01-3cb23f833023.jpg

ddgvasl-e9f781b2-a274-4081-a6f1-f340662b84eb.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Norboy, You certainly do have an extensive collection!

What is the ship name on the third spoon?  When I lived in Sydney, I could see the ship that sailed to Tasmania every Thursday evening.  There was also one between Melbourne and Tasmania, which we took once.  I don't recall the name of either one, but I did love seeing them sail.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Norboy, You certainly do have an extensive collection!

What is the ship name on the third spoon?  When I lived in Sydney, I could see the ship that sailed to Tasmania every Thursday evening.  There was also one between Melbourne and Tasmania, which we took once.  I don't recall the name of either one, but I did love seeing them sail.

The third spoon? That one if for the *Spirit Of Tasmania* (1993 - 2002). The one above it is the *Abel Tasman* (1985 - 1994). The one below it is the *Princess of Tasmania (1959 - 1975). The very bottom one the *TSMV Manoora* its from (1935 - 1961). The very top one the *MV Westralia* its from (1929 - 1959)

Here is another photo of a different *Abel Tasman* spoon, same ship as one the posted earlier just a different looking spoon.

dd25tk9-4950249d-0d51-44d5-9039-dd5c05457df9.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

When I lived in Sydney, I could see the ship that sailed to Tasmania every Thursday evening.  There was also one between Melbourne and Tasmania, which we took once

 

Were these ships considered "cruise type ships"?  Or, simply transportation from point A to point B?

 

2 hours ago, norboy76 said:

That one if for the *Spirit Of Tasmania* (1993 - 2002). The one above it is the *Abel Tasman* (1985 - 1994). The one below it is the *Princess of Tasmania (1959 - 1975).

 

Would it not be unusual if these ships were  "ferries" and not cruise ships to produce spoons such as these?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Norboy, Spirit of Tasmania rings a bell....maybe.   Thank you for the clarification.  I was there from 1969 to 1982, so I probably saw a different ship.

RKA,  The ships were (are?) for transportation, back and forth between states, but they had cabins for overnight sleeping.  There was a cafeteria, not included in the fare.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Were these ships considered "cruise type ships"?  Or, simply transportation from point A to point B?

 

 

Would it not be unusual if these ships were  "ferries" and not cruise ships to produce spoons such as these?  

I do have a couple of spoons for New Zealand ferries too. some were Ferries, and some were actual cruise ships and one was a small liner.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

The ships were (are?) for transportation, back and forth between states, but they had cabins for overnight sleeping.  There was a cafeteria, not included in the fare.

 

Much like the European ferries.  There is a new Spirit of Tasmania.  I recall seeing such a ship docked at the pier in Melbourne where the Amsterdam docked.  If the name is incorrect, I am sure it was going to Tasmania.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Came across something unique and weird which I have never seen before. I found 3 1954 Topps Cards, the company that makes sports cards, but these are for 3 Famous liner disasters. The Lusitania, The Normandie Capsizing and the burning of the SS Morro Castle. Has anyone else ever seen these Topps cards before?

 

1954 Topps Lusitania Front.jpg

1954 Topps Normandie Front.jpg

1954 Topps Morro Castle Front.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

The Normandie Capsizing

 

No.  Never have seen these before.  The portrayal of the Normandie is inaccurate.  Funnel colors are wrong; the bow was pointed toward the land not away from it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

No.  Never have seen these before.  The portrayal of the Normandie is inaccurate.  Funnel colors are wrong; the bow was pointed toward the land not away from it.  

Mhm the SS Normandie funnels were solid red with a black top, not red white and blue, I wonder why they made that mistake when making the card for her. Also if you look at the Lusitania one, it is all wrong too. She is shown engulfed in flames around the funnels and has the top deck engulfed in flames too. Whoever at Topps made these cards, did not know what had happened to these liners, but they still make for interesting and possible rare collectibles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Mhm the SS Normandie funnels were solid red with a black top, not red white and blue, I wonder why they made that mistake when making the card for her. Also if you look at the Lusitania one, it is all wrong too. She is shown engulfed in flames around the funnels and has the top deck engulfed in flames too. Whoever at Topps made these cards, did not know what had happened to these liners, but they still make for interesting and possible rare collectibles.

 

You make good points about the Lusitania card.  The illustration of the Morro Castle is one that I have never observed in the pictures that I have seen of that tragedy.  

 

Why were these cards even made?  Wasn't this the Company that made cards that were included in packs of bubble gum for children?  I'd suggest these three cards are worthless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

You make good points about the Lusitania card.  The illustration of the Morro Castle is one that I have never observed in the pictures that I have seen of that tragedy.  

 

Why were these cards even made?  Wasn't this the Company that made cards that were included in packs of bubble gum for children?  I'd suggest these three cards are worthless. 

Actually they are highly collectible, as far as I know these were specialty cards, there were planes and cars too in this series. I was told they are sough after to the point that PSA grades these cards and if you're lucky to find a PSA graded card of these, they can go for a lot of money

Example: - These prices found on PSA's  Own Website (these are what they had sold for)

PSA Grade 7 - 9, 1954 Topps Morro Castle: $234 - $420

PSA Grade 6, 1954 Topps Lusitania: $249.95

PSA Grade 8 - 9, 1954 Topps Normandie Capsizes: $112.50 - $1,540.15

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Actually they are highly collectible, as far as I know these were specialty cards, there were planes and cars too in this series. I was told they are sough after to the point that PSA grades these cards and if you're lucky to find a PSA graded card of these, they can go for a lot of money

Example: - These prices found on PSA's  Own Website (these are what they had sold for)

PSA Grade 7 - 9, 1954 Topps Morro Castle: $234 - $420

PSA Grade 6, 1954 Topps Lusitania: $249.95

PSA Grade 8 - 9, 1954 Topps Normandie Capsizes: $112.50 - $1,540.15

 

I most certainly would not pay those kind of prices for something like those cards!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I most certainly would not pay those kind of prices for something like those cards!

I didn't, I paid $7 for all 3 cards, so about $2.33 per card. I am eventually getting the card that was made for the SS United States made about it's speed record. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, norboy76 said:

I didn't, I paid $7 for all 3 cards, so about $2.33 per card. I am eventually getting the card that was made for the SS United States made about it's speed record. 

 

So, someone sold them to you not knowing what they are worth?  

 

This is what worries me with the stuff that I have collected.  I have repeatedly, and I mean repeatedly, told my Estate's Executor that if he orders a dumpster and starts throwing out all of my artifacts that I have collected, he is throwing money away that will benefit my Estate and his inheritance.  It is going to take some "effort and time" on his part to realize whatever value my stuff has.  But, what can I do?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

So, someone sold them to you not knowing what they are worth?  

 

This is what worries me with the stuff that I have collected.  I have repeatedly, and I mean repeatedly, told my Estate's Executor that if he orders a dumpster and starts throwing out all of my artifacts that I have collected, he is throwing money away that will benefit my Estate and his inheritance.  It is going to take some "effort and time" on his part to realize whatever value my stuff has.  But, what can I do?  

Gotta love Flea Markets lol, never know what you'll find. Was at a flea market years ago and bought a pair of SS Veendam binoculars (formerly the SS Argentina for Moore McCormack) for only $3 and then the following week the same lady was there and gave me all the rest of her Veendam items for Free. The items are from just before HAL sold the Veendam in 1984. I got the entire cabin package folder (Weather sheets, ship facts, ship deck plan, menus, bar menu, ads for the shops on board, the numbers for the table her and her husband sat at, a theater program, the folder to hold everything, fire drill info sheet, shore excursion price sheet, welcome aboard sheet and ship history booklet and 1 room service menu). See Photos of all the items I listed. (the first 2 photos are what I got for Free because I spent $3 on these binoculars. Same with the ship Topps cards, the person was just cleaning out their house and was just getting rid of things they no longer wanted.

d943lg4-f374bcd9-fede-4249-aaee-cc4abc3632f3.jpg

d9e83c5-09d1b286-afaa-42d8-8ae4-9ca3f0f4b5d4.jpg

ss_veendam_binoculars_by_wildelf34_d941836-fullview.jpg

Edited by norboy76
updated info
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I got the entire cabin package folder (Weather sheets, ship facts, ship deck plan, menus, bar menu, ads for the shops on board, the numbers for the table her and her husband sat at, a theater program, the folder to hold everything, fire drill info sheet, shore excursion price sheet, welcome aboard sheet and ship history booklet and 1 room service menu). 

 

As a collector, I'll bet that was the best $3 you ever spent for those binoculars!  

 

Were you able to discuss with the woman why she had collected such an amount of material from her cruise?  Ads for the shops, even!  In my early collection of "stuff" I may have that kind of material.  But, in my later cruises:  No.  

 

Oh, those menu captions are a sight for sore eyes!  The menus of "those days" were so much superior in comparison to what HAL's menus have recently been.  Dutch Dinner was always a special highlight.  Haven't seen a specific menu for Dutch Dinner in a long time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

As a collector, I'll bet that was the best $3 you ever spent for those binoculars!  

 

Were you able to discuss with the woman why she had collected such an amount of material from her cruise?  Ads for the shops, even!  In my early collection of "stuff" I may have that kind of material.  But, in my later cruises:  No.  

 

Oh, those menu captions are a sight for sore eyes!  The menus of "those days" were so much superior in comparison to what HAL's menus have recently been.  Dutch Dinner was always a special highlight.  Haven't seen a specific menu for Dutch Dinner in a long time.  

It's been soo long since I got these items, that I don't totally remember, but I believe a lot of the items were part of the folder in the cabin. The Weather sheets, the info booklet, the number for the table, and welcome aboard and such I think she said were in the folder. The weather sheets you filled out each day of the cruise I believe, and the rest was during the cruise, maybe she wanted as much from her cruise as possible. The ship left HAL in May of 1984 and this collection is dated January 1984. A couple of funny things, the menu, listed among the drinks on the menu for hot drinks along with coffee and tea is *Sanka*. I also have the 1984 cocktail menu the the prices compared to what you pay now on ships.

Example of prices on the 1984 Veendam Bar Menu and Each Section:

Cocktails: (not listing all the drinks)

Daquiri - 1.70

Martini - 1.80

Manhattan - 1.80

Rusty Nail - 2.00

 

Gins/Vodkas/Other: 1 1/2 oz. glass

Beefeater Dry Gin - 1.50

Smirnoff - 1.50

Rum Bacardi Gold - 1.50

 

Whiskies: 1 1/2 oz. glass

J&B - 1.50

Johnny Walker Black Label- 1.80

Jameson - 1.50

Jack Daniels: 1.80

 

Beer: bottle

Budweiser: 0.80

Heineken: 1.00

Miller: 0.80

Molson: 1.00

 

Special Drinks:

Pina Colada: 2.50

Mai Tai - 2.50

Champagne Cocktail - 3.00

Singapore Sling: 2.00

 

Liqueurs / Brandies: 1 1/2 oz. glass

Amaretto - 1.80

Calvados - 2.40

Irish Cream - 1.80

Remy Martin - 2.40

Martell Cordon Blue - 3.60 (Most Expensive Drink On Bar Menu)

 

Soft Drinks: 

All - 0.50

Perrier - 0.90

Fruit Juice per glass - 0.60

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...