bermuda bus strike

sccoast

you can also see this link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1460230

about Dockyard union workers and cruise shiop workers.

Since I'm not thrilled about renting a scooter due to 'health risks' - I'd rather not end up hospitalized on my vacation - guess I won't be going far from the ship!!

Do the union officials/government officials not realize that all this type of behavior does is drive away the cruise lines/tourists???

This is too bad for all us cruise tourist.....but atleast they realize the negative impact on us & their image, whats sad is since the tourist industry is such vital there, there could be lots of business shut down & locals loosing jobs if this goes on for long......hoping all will be resolved soon...

I am sure the owners of the scooter business will be seeing an increase in business.

We actually benefitted from a bus strike in Bermuda many years ago. We rented pedal bikes and were thrilled not to have those big pink busses whizzing by us! We got the last two pedal bikes in the shop and they had NO scooters left. They told us most of the scooters had been rented by locals who needed a way to get to work, not by tourists (this was in Hamilton).

Taxi drivers will make good money, probably mostly from tourists.

If the buses go on strike, do the ferries strike, too? That will really hurt St Georges.

While I understand that the BIU and the government each feel they need to stand firm, I just don't see that this is good for anyone! We cruisers will be disappointed in that we won't be able to see/do the things we wanted to do, the locals will have difficulties getting to places, and if this type of thing happens frequently, we'll take our tourist dollars elsewhere!

I know the BIU doesn't think 'we' are watching, but we are....and so are cruiselines!

Hopefully this will be resoved quickly, but somehow I'm thinking I'm not gonna make it to Bermuda this time around! :mad::mad:

We will be there on Wednesday on the Summit. After waiting 35 years since the honeymoon, it would be so disappointing not to revisit places...because we can't get there. Does anyone have an update?

Carnival has already pulled out for 2012 and while reading the Royal Gazette it mentioned another cruiseline that has pulled out for 2012. One other is going to Hamilton instead of St. George next year.

There really isn't any place to Walk to from what i can tell other than Sea Glass Beach and around the Dockyard. Taxi's may be available, but then will you find one to get you back in time? unless you just do a tour with the taxi. i emailed several before the strike and some wanted $60 hr and min. 5hr. while i had read messages on who to email for a good tour and it said $40 hr 3hr and up. i couldn't get one to agree to 3hr and $40hr. now with the strike they will be in even higher demand. Bikes.... how far can my legs take me? I could not find if this strike was affecting the ferries. At this time i am not booking an excursion or planning anything, i will wing it when we get off the ship. like someone said .. hurricane or strike. i leave on 8/25 and only have from 4pm sat. until 3:30 sunday in port.

Carnival has already pulled out for 2012 and while reading the Royal Gazette it mentioned another cruiseline that has pulled out for 2012. One other is going to Hamilton instead of St. George next year.

There really isn't any place to Walk to from what i can tell other than Sea Glass Beach and around the Dockyard. Taxi's may be available, but then will you find one to get you back in time? unless you just do a tour with the taxi. i emailed several before the strike and some wanted $60 hr and min. 5hr. while i had read messages on who to email for a good tour and it said $40 hr 3hr and up. i couldn't get one to agree to 3hr and $40hr. now with the strike they will be in even higher demand. Bikes.... how far can my legs take me? I could not find if this strike was affecting the ferries. At this time i am not booking an excursion or planning anything, i will wing it when we get off the ship. like someone said .. hurricane or strike. i leave on 8/25 and only have from 4pm sat. until 3:30 sunday in port.

There's a fare surcharge on Sundays, and if that's the day you were trying to book a taxi tour it explains the higher rates you were quoted. You don't have to take a fixed rate tour for a minimum number of hours. You can just have a taxi take you to where you want to go on a metered fare basis (again though, there is a Sunday surcharge.) Of course with a bus strike, taxis are going to be in high demand and short supply.

There's no indication the strike is affecting the ferries, but there is no scheduled ferry service on Saturday and Sunday from Dockyard to St. George, and ferries from Dockyard to Hamilton run less frequently than they do on weekdays.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20110815/NEWS/708159921

if going to bermuda and planning to use the bus system, be certain the strike is over before buying passes and perhaps have alternate plans in mind.

The VAST majority of us Bermudians, including staunch union supporters, are extremely unhappy with the latest union action. And I sincerely apologize to those of you who will be affected.

Try posting on this Facebook page. Some locals are offering transportation for visitors. It's small but it's growing. If you're in Bermuda during the strike look for cars with pink and blue ribbons. They are participating in this initiative.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-give-a-ride-to-work-Bermuda/252118261476780

The VAST majority of us Bermudians, including staunch union supporters, are extremely unhappy with the latest union action. And I sincerely apologize to those of you who will be affected.

Try posting on this Facebook page. Some locals are offering transportation for visitors. It's small but it's growing. If you're in Bermuda during the strike look for cars with pink and blue ribbons. They are participating in this initiative.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-give-a-ride-to-work-Bermuda/252118261476780

This is another thing that makes Bermuda special. Your people are amazing and I hope this is resolved quickly for the sake of all who need the bus system.

Shame on the one driver for causing all this trouble for you all and bad press for your beautiful island.

Hopefully it's resolved swiftly. Although i'm not sailing for another 10 weeks, i feel for anyone who will have ot deal with this...:(

Bill(DrFootball)

(This Medal is awarded to the Aviator who has “distinguished himself by Heroism, Gallantry or Extraordinary Achievement while participating in aerial flight.” - The Army Distinguished Flying Cross)

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.94 final beta for Mac

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-g...52118261476780

Hi everyone,

I am a local in Bermuda and I would encourage you to still come over on your cruise.

Most people in Bermuda are against the strike and have been rallying together to help offer transport to tourist and locals alike that are at the bus stops.

Trust me, you will more than likely get a ride to where you need to go when you arrive.

I do not see the strike lasting very long, as a large number of union bus drivers are against the strike.

We look forward to seeing you soon!! :)

Bermuda Guy

Archived