bermuda bus strike

sccoast

To BermudaGuy and all those who are willing to assist the tourists: I would hope that I speak for all that are on these boards as well as those how will be visiting your island in saying THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

If the strike lingers on, we do know that you sympathize with us and are willing to chip in to assist. That is the reason that *I* travel - to meet wonderful people from around the world. There really are only a handful of folk that make it yucky for everyone, but we try to look past them so we can meet YOU!

Now, can you do anything about that nasty "tropical disturbance"????;)

Live Blogging: Bus Strike Day #1

This morning [Aug.18] Bermuda commuters are dealing with buses being off the road, following a strike by bus operators which was called late yesterday afternoon. The strike was predicated by the Ministry firing a bus driver who refused to take a drug test five times after being involved in an accident.

Update 9:40am: Bus drivers are meeting at the BIU headquarters, many in uniform some in civilian clothing. Unofficial reports indicate that some drivers are not in support of the strike, and fully prepared to go back to work. Bernews has been made to understand that some bus operators wanted to drive their routes this morning, however were stopped from doing so by others.

[/url]

Update 10:00am: The meeting has broken up, and bus drivers are expected back again at 1pm. BIU President Chris Furbert is returning to the island today, and is expected to attend the meeting.

Update 10:19am: A Facebook event has been posted calling for a rally against the bus drivers strike from 12:30pm – 2:30pm today [Aug.18] at City Hall.

http://bernews.com/2011/08/live-blogging-bus-strike-day-1/#comment-66934

The VAST majority of us Bermudians, including staunch union supporters, are extremely unhappy with the latest union action. And I sincerely apologize to those of you who will be affected.

Try posting on this Facebook page. Some locals are offering transportation for visitors. It's small but it's growing. If you're in Bermuda during the strike look for cars with pink and blue ribbons. They are participating in this initiative.

The Public is Rallying to Help the Tourists in Dockyard.

Minister of Transport message to the Community

http://bernews.com/2011/08/minister-lister-thanks-public-for-help-support/

Bus Strike Update.

Update 3:02pm: BIU President Chris Furbert – who just returned to the island – will be hosting a press conference at 4pm. Update 3:51pm: One bus is now on the road this afternoon. Earlier today Minister Lister encouraged drivers to work if they would like, and it appears that at least one bus driver has decided to break the strike and drive.

Update 3:52pm: Thanks to someone on our Facebook page, here is a link about a bus strike in Malta last month which saw 60 drivers walk off the job. Officials responded by flying in 55 British bus drivers to drive the routes. Their Transport Minister Austin Gatt is quoted as saying to the striking drivers “The days when you dictated what happened in public transport are over.”

Update 4:00pm: We are at the BIU waiting for the press conference with BIU President Chris Furbert, which is due to start soon.

Update 4:15pm: The press conference is about to get underway, there are a number of bus drivers present.

photo-2-aug-18-2011-biu.JPG

Update 4:31pm: BIU officials have said the strike will continue and they want the driver reinstated without loss of wages or benefits.

Update 4:33pm: When asked if the strike is still on, Mr Furbert replied, “The drivers are still here at the Union”, and received applause from drivers in attendance.

Leaving tomorrow on the Dawn. Have been watching the reports all week. Hoped it wouldn't come to this and hopefully it will be resolved and buses will be back on the road by Sunday. :rolleyes: If not, when we take the ferry to St. George or Hamilton, will we be able to take a taxi to the beaches or should we just get a taxi from the Dockyard. Thanks :)

Please let's keep this thread a discussion of the strike and how it affects those cruising to Bermuda; this isn't a political forum and I'm also watching the blog posts. If they are steering the conversation away from how to "work around" the strike for those cruising to Bermuda, only newslinks to the Royal Gazette articles will stay. Also be aware, please, of our copyright guidelines and just link to the paper, please.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Leaving tomorrow on the Dawn. Have been watching the reports all week. Hoped it wouldn't come to this and hopefully it will be resolved and buses will be back on the road by Sunday. :rolleyes: If not, when we take the ferry to St. George or Hamilton, will we be able to take a taxi to the beaches or should we just get a taxi from the Dockyard. Thanks :)

from what i understand there is no ferry service on sunday to st. george. there are some to hamilton. but then you would need a taxi or bus! to get to a beach. might be easiest to take a taxi from dockyard to horseshoe beach.

from what i understand there is no ferry service on sunday to st. george. there are some to hamilton. but then you would need a taxi or bus! to get to a beach. might be easiest to take a taxi from dockyard to horseshoe beach.

The beaches on the south shore are better than those near St. George anyway. Tobacco Bay is great for snorkeling but the beach is very small and can get very crowded. The beach at Fort St. Catherine is very nice but it has no facilities whatsoever.

There are any numberof beaches on the south shore beside Horseshoe Bay so you have more choices there. Unless you want to specifically snorkel, as things are with the strike, I wouldn't try getting to St. George at this time.

The beaches on the south shore are better than those near St. George anyway. Tobacco Bay is great for snorkeling but the beach is very small and can get very crowded. The beach at Fort St. Catherine is very nice but it has no facilities whatsoever.

There are any numberof beaches on the south shore beside Horseshoe Bay so you have more choices there. Unless you want to specifically snorkel, as things are with the strike, I wouldn't try getting to St. George at this time.

Thinking about going to Achilles Bay and I understand there is a restaurant that overlooks the cove. I think it is the Beachcomber. Also not going to be snorkeling, just looking for a nice beach that might have a restaurant nearby.

Hi Everyone,

If you are currently vacationing in Bermuda, my apologies again for the inconvenience of the bus strike.

I saw in one of our local news forums a post from someone who had to walk quite a distance to get to a beach and then back to their ship.

I would like to suggest the following:

Please stand at a bus stop so that commuters will know that you need a ride. It is not uncommon to see tourists walking in Bermuda. If you're walking we won't know that you need a lift.

Also. Don't be shy:) Flag someone down. In particular, anyone flying a pink and blue ribbon on their car, as they are participating in a carpooling initiative. And keep trying until someone picks you up. They will.

Regards,

OJ

Hi Mdtcoll,

I hear what you are saying, and no, I would never do this in the U.S., but you CAN do it here.

Everyone is very upset about the strike and its impact on our visitors, and there are lots of people willing to give you a ride. We're doing it for ourselves too - check out this facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-give-a-ride-to-work-Bermuda/252118261476780

We will NOT leave you stranded - if we can help you, we will.

Have Fun!

That sounds very nice and helpful but is it safe to do that? I would never consider that here in the states.:confused:

If the strike is still on in a week or so I will have no problem doing that in Bermuda. It is safe there.

By the way here in the Washington DC area we have what are called slug lanes where people line up to get rides to work. The drivers do it so they can use the less congested HOV lanes. (high occupancy) which require multiple passengers. A lot of people do this, riders and drivers.

Strike Update:

Update 3:26pm: Statement from Government saying the Premier met with BIU officials, and “priority was to have the matter referred to a Tribunal under the Labour Disputes Act 1992.” Premier Cox also said that “the request was for the bus operators to return to work as soon as possible.” Agreement was reached that the employee should remain terminated. It was also agreed that her pay would be reinstated for the period of suspension until termination. Full statement below.

Today the Cabinet Office updated on the meeting which was held between the Premier, the Hon. Paula A. Cox, JP, MP, Government Officials and members of the Bermuda Industrial Union (BIU).

This morning the Premier responded to a request for a meeting by the President of the BIU, Mr. Chris Furbert. Premier Cox invited the Deputy Premier, the Hon. Derrick Burgess, JP, MP, the Minister of Transport, the Hon. Terry Lister JP, MP, and the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry, Sen. the Hon. Kim Wilson JP, to attend the meeting.

Also in attendance were the Mrs. Judith Hall-Bean Acting Cabinet Secretary,and Mr. George Outerbridge, the Acting Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

The BIU President was accompanied by: Brother Louis Somner, Organiser for the Division, Brother George Scott, Chief Union Organiser, Brother Graham Nesbitt, Assistant General Secretary, Brother Glenn Simmons, President of the Division, Sister Betty Smith, Secretary of the Division, Sister Ronnie Burgess, Organiser and Brother Maxwell Lawrence, Department of Public Transportation Shop Steward.

After greeting and acknowledging the BIU delegation, Premier Cox indicated that the “key and fundamental issue at hand, was to get the members of the Bus Operators and Allied Division of the Bermuda Industrial Union back to work”. The Premier noted that public safety and public interest issues are key.

And Premier Cox indicated that the priority was to have the matter referred to a Tribunal under the Labour Disputes Act 1992. Premier Cox also said that the request was for the bus operators to return to work as soon as possible.

The Premier directed that the terms of reference for the Tribunal should be finalised soonest, with a notice being Gazetted as soon as possible.

Agreement was reached that the employee should remain terminated. It was also agreed that her pay would be reinstated for the period of suspension until termination.

As a final note, the Premier rejected the idea of a Board of Enquiry on the Department of Public Transport.

Update 3:37pm: The BIU is presently hosting a press conference. So far they said they agreed to arbitration, and also said that Ms Harvey will be paid up to the date she was terminated.

We leave for Bermuda today on the dawn and we have an infant with us so taking scooters, bikes, or mopeds is out of the question and taxis will be a big pain with having to lug around a car seat. Part of the reason we chose bermuda is because of the public transportation system. Oh well. Guess we will just ferry to Hamilton and St George and hang around the dockyard. I imagine the ferries may sell out though if no buses are available. Maybe we should have signed up for a shore excursion.

Definitely makes me unlikely to ever book another Bermuda cruise. We will stick to carribbean and Bahamas from now on.

Archived