Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Irene

A large tropical wave located about 875 miles west of the cape verde

islands continues to produce limited shower activity. Significant

development is not likely during the next couple of days.

However...environmental conditions could become more conducive for

development after that time. This system has a low chance...10

percent...of becoming a tropical cyclone during the next 48 hours

as it moves westward at 15 to 20 mph.

We are watching this tropical wave that can possibly come onto Florida by the end of the week. I hope it will not affect our cruise out of Port Canaveral on Saturday. :(

We are watching this tropical wave that can possibly come onto Florida by the end of the week. I hope it will not affect our cruise out of Port Canaveral on Saturday. :(

We will hope with you:)...is it eastern or western? We will have a better idea by Wednesday, and any rerouting should be known by Thurs or so, as much as they can know at all anyhow, storms are fickle creatures!

Ok Hurricane expert was is your synopsis, Rich ???

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIATCPAT4.shtml

I have been updating my web forecasts 2-3 times a day. If Irene crosses most of the islands it will impede strengthening. There is still potential for strengthening, especially if it turns north east of Florida or into the eastern gulf. It all really depends on the exact track and how much land is avoided.

We are in the peak part of the season right now until mid September.
Hurricane season lasts until December. You'll see them come fast and furious between now and late October, with the season slowing down in November.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed on this one, I am sailing out of Tampa on the Inspiration on Saturday!

Mick

So we are sailing on the Pride tomorrow. We are supposed to be in Nassau on Thursday and Freeport on Friday. Looks like she will be right over the Bahamas Thursday according to current forecasts. If we get rerouted, does anyone have any idea where we would go instead? I don't really mind getting rerouted (although it would suck to be dropped somewhere with no prior plans) but I would really not like having a 7 day cruise with 5 sea days if we have nowhere else to go.

So we are sailing on the Pride tomorrow. We are supposed to be in Nassau on Thursday and Freeport on Friday. Looks like she will be right over the Bahamas Thursday according to current forecasts. If we get rerouted, does anyone have any idea where we would go instead? I don't really mind getting rerouted (although it would suck to be dropped somewhere with no prior plans) but I would really not like having a 7 day cruise with 5 sea days if we have nowhere else to go.

You could end up going to Canada.

Last year we were re-routed. Instead of Freeport, Grand Turk and HMC we ended up in cape canaveral and nassau. We found out when we were boarding, so had time with internet access before we set sail to come up with alternate plans. Good luck! We get on when you get off.

I live by Port Canaveral and it might be a problem by the end of next week. I'm putting up my hurricane shutters and cruising out of Miami next Saturday....I hope!!!!! :) I'm also hoping that Miss Irene will just skirt the keys and head out into the gulf so that all of our cruises from eastern ports of Florida will be just fine! Not worried about the stops at this point. I'm just worried that Irene will stall and delay the previous cruise which would cut short mine. :(

My DH hasn't been pleased with me all along that I booked during hurricane season - not worried about the cruise at all, more about leaving home during that time and having to think about what's happening with our home if we have any storms during that time.

I've booked hurricane season before, and so far, all has been fine. I think we've just avoided anything major for a long enough time that the odds are narrowing!

Of course, we have insurance which would help if our home is threatened when it's time to leave. But, storms get talked about early and there is always an opportunity to evaluate the situation in plenty of time. My biggest fear is always that we have pets (and an awesome pettsitter) and it's hard to worry about their needs should there be some reason to evacuate them. Sigh.... just get me through the next few weeks without anything major!!!

Don't even PLAY!

No Canada for us. Poster I was responding to is leaving out of Baltimore. If they can't go south, they have to go north. I am not really concerned about our cruise as much as I am about flying int MCO on Friday.

No Canada for us. Poster I was responding to is leaving out of Baltimore. If they can't go south, they have to go north. I am not really concerned about our cruise as much as I am about flying int MCO on Friday.

If it moves inland early - from Florida to Georgia and stays inland the Northeast may get a load of rain but the cruise would still probably go from Baltimore. The low won't be near the Mid-Atlantic until about Sunday. If it stays offshore until the Carolina's that will be a different story.

I live by Port Canaveral and it might be a problem by the end of next week. I'm putting up my hurricane shutters and cruising out of Miami next Saturday....I hope!!!!! :) I'm also hoping that Miss Irene will just skirt the keys and head out into the gulf so that all of our cruises from eastern ports of Florida will be just fine! Not worried about the stops at this point. I'm just worried that Irene will stall and delay the previous cruise which would cut short mine. :(

Can't rule it out yet, but the Gulf is looking less likely. Right now directly over Florida to western Bahamas seems to be where the models are showing the track.

Can't rule it out yet, but the Gulf is looking less likely. Right now directly over Florida to western Bahamas seems to be where the models are showing the track.

Is flying into MCO on Friday (around noon) going to be an issue?