Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Irene

I am NOT watching the Weather Channel. I have my fingers in my ears, eyes closed, going "la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la" :p

Won't be the first time I've gotten a letter explaining itinerary changes.

Won't be the last time, either.

Who cares? Not me. Now.... if they run out of Margaritas, I'll be upset. :D

We leave tomorrow on the Destiny for an eastern carribean (course is right into the projected eye of the storm -lol- of course)....I don't care what happens as long as we're safe. Hoping they re-route for sure. Do theytypically send itinerary change letters via email? Whendoes it usually come? I'm excited to hear!

We leave tomorrow on the Destiny for an eastern carribean (course is right into the projected eye of the storm -lol- of course)....I don't care what happens as long as we're safe. Hoping they re-route for sure. Do theytypically send itinerary change letters via email? Whendoes it usually come? I'm excited to hear!

Often you dont find out about a change until you board, since things are subject to change and the storm can track a different path.

I've never gotten one before we boarded. Ours have been delivered by the room steward. Towel animal and an itinerary change letter!

Last year on the Dream they made an announcement right before we left Port Canaveral.

I am NOT watching the Weather Channel. I have my fingers in my ears, eyes closed, going "la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la" :p

I love your way of thinking! :)

The additional issue with Victory, they have to offload pax in Barbados on Wed, so that also comes into play when Carnival alters the itinerary. If they do leave at 6, Im sure it wont be a full ship.

I'm sure that's coming, even though I am not cruising until next month, I have been watching the weather channel like crazy.

I have an app on my Droid called Hurricane hound and I check it daily. I leave 3 weeks today so I hope that we have good weather!

The chance you take when you cruise during hurricane season. For that matter whenever you cruise. You never know what mother nature or life will deal you. I cruise in approx. 4 weeks myself.

I also am sailing 4 weeks from today.

I cruise in 4 weeks, as long as I get to board and we leave I'm ok if changes have to be made, knock on wood it has never happened to me but that's the chance I take cruising in September.

We are leaving on the Liberty next Saturday. Looks like Irene will be out of the Caribbean by then, but I'm a bit concerned about arriving in Miami on Friday.

The current course puts Irene in the Orlando area by Fri afternoon I am hoping that that should just leave us with some rain in Miami. Fingers crossed. Another reason why we always fly in a day early.

Has anyone heard anything about the Miracle. They were supposed to port in Puerto Rico this afternoon...st. Thomas tomorrow..and Grand Turk Tues...doesn't look good. My sister is on it and she hasn't turned on her phone!! I'm gonna kill her!! :)

Has anyone heard anything about the Miracle. They were supposed to port in Puerto Rico this afternoon...st. Thomas tomorrow..and Grand Turk Tues...doesn't look good. My sister is on it and she hasn't turned on her phone!! I'm gonna kill her!! :)

Killing her seems a bit extreme. Maybe you could just break her leg. Seriously I hope all goes well and those folks can enjoy their vacation.

Edited by joeyancho

carnival victory and serenade expect to leave the port at 6pm

I guess the port is only closed to inbound traffic. CNN didn't specify on their site, which is where I read that the Coast Guard had closed it. I just assumed that closed meant closed.

They should do something for the angry guests! They should reprint their cruise contracts and highlight the inclement weather and itinerary change policies. Lol. ;)

That, and put them on a ship set to autopilot (so as not to injure the crew) and sail it into a hurricane. That way, they would absolutely get what they paid for and not miss one port!!

I swear, sometimes when I read those angry posts, though I have never actually thought to ask someone, what do you want them to do? Sail you into a hurricane? Would that have been better? The answer of course, is lose/lose. The correct answer for these people would be, "No, I expected Carnival to control the weather and not allow a hurricane to come into the path of my cruise." :rolleyes:

JH just posted this

Due to the track of the storm the Carnival Victory is now forced to deviate to a safe operating distance, this means the port of call in St. Thomas on 08/22/11 is now lost. The Carnival Victory will now set sail to Barbados and call as per schedule on 08/24/11. Once the storm passes through the region we shall evaluate the feasibility of the remaining ports on the voyage, for certain the ship will now sail bound for Barbados on Wednesday 08/24/11.

Looks like they will be missing St.Thomas, Barbados will be the first port, saw this on John Healds Facebook page.

If we ever cruise together, consider that first Margarita on me! If even half the folks on board could have an outlook like this, man what a difference! Cheers mate!

Also: 6pm departure for the Victory? Now excuse me since I just woke up from a nap but does that mean an early sailing from San Juan?? Her sail time is 10pm...that's gonna mess some folks up. I know some people really push it with late flights because of the generous sail time.

In other news: one week and I'm on board! Lets get this weather outta the way now!!:p

If we ever cruise together, consider that first Margarita on me! If even half the folks on board could have an outlook like this, man what a difference! Cheers mate!

Also: 6pm departure for the Victory? Now excuse me since I just woke up from a nap but does that mean an early sailing from San Juan?? Her sail time is 10pm...that's gonna mess some folks up. I know some people really push it with late flights because of the generous sail time.

In other news: one week and I'm on board! Lets get this weather outta the way now!!:p

I feel bad for those who will miss the ship because of the change in time, I'm sailing next month and unfortunately have to fly in the day of, I have a 6am non-stop flight that gets in at 9:55am.

I feel bad for those who will miss the ship because of the change in time, I'm sailing next month and unfortunately have to fly in the day of, I have a 6am non-stop flight that gets in at 9:55am.

Oh, that's nothing! You'll be in just fine :)

We had to fly same day to the Victory in February from Toronto (may I remind you again, it was winter) which is the O'Hare of the north, to the actual O'Hare to connect, then south to SJU with only a 35min connection! Talk about nerves! Luckily we made it (and scored an upgrade) but our baggage almost didn't. We had the door closed and just before we pushed back they announced a short delay...due to connecting baggage =P whoops!!

Update on the Victory: according to JH the ship is hoping to indeed leave early around 6pm, and the call tomorrow in St. Thomas is cancelled. She's proceeding directly to Barbados for the scheduled call on Wed.

Yeah, thats rough when the ship leaves 4 hours earlier than planned. Thats like a 4pm departure pushed up to Noon. Now some folks have landed in SJ right smack dab in the middle of a storm and have to find hotels, hopefully they wont get gouged.

A lady just posted on John's FB page that she just arrived into San Juan at 6PM (after being in airports since 7AM) and the ship is gone. Boy, does that suck for her :p

Edited by Vanessa L

Oh, that's nothing! You'll be in just fine :)

We had to fly same day to the Victory in February from Toronto (may I remind you again, it was winter) which is the O'Hare of the north, to the actual O'Hare to connect, then south to SJU with only a 35min connection! Talk about nerves! Luckily we made it (and scored an upgrade) but our baggage almost didn't. We had the door closed and just before we pushed back they announced a short delay...due to connecting baggage =P whoops!!

Update on the Victory: according to JH the ship is hoping to indeed leave early around 6pm, and the call tomorrow in St. Thomas is cancelled. She's proceeding directly to Barbados for the scheduled call on Wed.

I picked that flight not only so I could have some wiggle room in case of a delay, but so I can board and get back off and explore San Juan like last year.