Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Irene

I lady just posted on John's FB page that she just arrived into San Juan at 6PM (after being in airports since 7AM) and the ship is gone. Boy, does that suck for her :p

Why would that make u smile?

Anyone sailing from Florida soon ought to be watching this one.. And if you fly day of cruise in winter from up north or from anywhere during hurricane season, well, you're an idiot..

Edited by kujobie

And if you fly day of cruise in winter from up north or from anywhere during hurricane season, well, you're an idiot..

Our schedule actually didn't permit us to depart the day prior. So we booked Carnival air with full insurance. Did we stress? Nope. We were right on time and even upgraded to First Class.

You can call me an idiot, but I'm about the happiest idiot you'll ever find then! ;)

I think it's sad myself, wonder where she was coming from if she has been in airport since 7 and did not arrive til 6

That's not a smile, that's a tongue sticking out, as in, yuck it sucks!!

If we ever cruise together, consider that first Margarita on me! If even half the folks on board could have an outlook like this, man what a difference! Cheers mate!

And I would take you up on that offer!! We could have a drink, and try to figure out the best excursions for the new ports we're headed to!!! :D:D

Our schedule actually didn't permit us to depart the day prior. So we booked Carnival air with full insurance. Did we stress? Nope. We were right on time and even upgraded to First Class.

You can call me an idiot, but I'm about the happiest idiot you'll ever find then! ;)

For what you paid in insurance, you could have flown in the day before, stayed in a nice hotel, and still saved a few bucks. But then, I don't have to fly. I live in Florida.

For what you paid in insurance, you could have flown in the day before, stayed in a nice hotel, and still saved a few bucks. But then, I don't have to fly. I live in Florida.

As I said, it was a schedule issue. It was day of, or no cruise. And as I said, no regrets :p

Trust me, I've worked as a travel agent and never do I advise flying same day. But sometimes that's the only option. So as I said, call me an idiot but we made it work and are going back next week, the day before ;)

Apparently the lady who missed the ship because she got in at 6 had booked her air through Carnival, had delays, and connection, I hope at least Carnival will get people to the next port since it was not their fault they missed the ship.

I also am sailing 4 weeks from today.

MIZZ K,

How do you like solo cruising? When I retire in about three years, I will be about 58 years old, and I plan to travel more. Some of my travel might be solo, unless I take my grands. Next year I will be sailing with about 30 family members and friends on Victory, the same one you're getting ready to go on. I look forward to hearing about your trip.

A lady just posted on John's FB page that she just arrived into San Juan at 6PM (after being in airports since 7AM) and the ship is gone. Boy, does that suck for her :p

For those, like her, who seemingly kept their end of the CCL Terms & Conditions of Contract regarding required arrival time . . . it certainly does suck. :(

I do fully understand CCL's necessary decision to make the adjustment(s), and I hope the stranded passengers have vacation insurance.

TS Irene is in full force here in the US Virgin Islands. Wind and rain since early this morningl

MIZZ K,

How do you like solo cruising? When I retire in about three years, I will be about 58 years old, and I plan to travel more. Some of my travel might be solo, unless I take my grands. Next year I will be sailing with about 30 family members and friends on Victory, the same one you're getting ready to go on. I look forward to hearing about your trip.

I love it, I have also done a few land trips solo, I can do what I want at my own pace and always seem to meet a lot of nice people, this next one I am going with 3 friends, I already told them we need not be joined at the hip for the week.

They may want to do something I don't and visa versa, I sailed this itinerary last year but this is the first for all of them.

It is a very port intensive cruise, when I went last year there was no sea day we went to Dominica, I needed a vacation from vacation when I came back, lol, but that is why I picked it because of the many ports.

Canadian_J sounds like too savvy a traveler to forego the purchase of insurance in place of booking of an earlier flight, especially since their personal schedule didn't allow for them to book/make that earlier flight.

You, like I, have the great fortune of living in Florida, with quick access to numerous home ports . . . actually the ability (albeit an extreme distance) to drive to every US port but one: Puerto Rico, the port in question in the earlier statements. A flight would be required, even for us.

For those, like her, who seemingly kept their end of the CCL Terms & Conditions of Contract regarding required arrival time . . . it certainly does suck. :(

I do fully understand CCL's necessary decision to make the adjustment(s), and I hope the stranded passengers have vacation insurance.

That ticket contract really covers cruiselines

(d) The Vessel shall be entitled to leave and enter ports with or without pilots or tugs, to tow and assist other vessels in any circumstances, to return to or enter any port at the Master’s discretion and for any purpose and to deviate in any direction or for any purpose from the direct or usual course, and to omit or change any or all port calls, arrival or departure times, with or without notice, for any reason whatsoever, including but not limited to safety, security, adverse weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of Guests or crew, or late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns, US or foreign governmental advisories or travel warnings, all such deviations being considered as forming part of and included in the proposed voyage. Carnival shall have no liability for any compensation or other damages in such circumstances.other than as provided by Carnival’s change of itinerary policy at the time Guest or his agent acknowledges receipt and acceptance of the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract.

Hopefully they did have insurance..with the storm almost on top of Puerto Rico, who know when they will be able to fly back home. Thats alot of travel costs to eat.

I love it, I have also done a few land trips solo, I can do what I want at my own pace and always seem to meet a lot of nice people, this next one I am going with 3 friends, I already told them we need not be joined at the hip for the week.

They may want to do something I don't and visa versa, I sailed this itinerary last year but this is the first for all of them.

It is a very port intensive cruise, when I went last year there was no sea day we went to Dominica, I needed a vacation from vacation when I came back, lol, but that is why I picked it because of the many ports.

Same here, I really wanted to island hop, and will need a vacation after the vacation as well. I think that I will do fine traveling solo, I look forward to giving it a try soon.

Yep, it does. And this is just one more tick in the pro column for A) not flying in day of and B) Never, ever using Carnival's air. I don't I've ever read a story that said that Carnival's air worked out well.

Carnival's site states that they have a desk set up at the San Juan Airport or guests should call Carnival. It sounds like quite a few missed the boat and will need to get to Barbados.

Hey Everyone,

Saw your posts and thought I would post this, maybe it will help with arrival/flight decisions. I have lived in FL all my life and Channel 4 news out of Jax has the best hurricane guy, George Winterling! He's retired now, but still has a hurricane blog. Here is his scenarios, will try to post updates.

1. If IRENE goes over the Keys and into the Gulf of Mexico, extreme south Florida and the Gulf coast from Ft. Myers and Tampa to the Big Bend area would experience hurricane force winds. Bands of rain sweeping northward into northeast Florida and southeast Georgia may produce occasional tornadoes and severe thunderstorms.

2. If IRENE strikes the southern peninsula, it would be at least a Category 2 hurricane, maybe borderline Category 3. For northeast Florida and southeast Georgia, IRENE may be reduced to strong tropical storm strength due to passing over land; however, hurricane force winds may continue to rake the coast northward to Fernandina, or even St. Simons Island. Flooding from heavy rains can become widespread over much of our area.

3. A sharp turn northward off the coast of Cuba may cause only a glancing blow to the lower east coast of Florida, but this may be “too close for comfort” for Florida’s Gold Coast with the center of the hurricane over the Bahamas. For northeast Florida and southeast Georgia the indention of our coast from the Atlantic would again be our safety valve, and we would have minimal winds and scattered showers.

Our entire Channel 4 news and weather team will be there for you as we appear to be facing the first threat of the 2011 hurricane season.

There may be a temporary intermission for much of the Atlantic due to dust layers in the atmosphere off the north African coast and over the Bahamas. Dust over the tropical oceans tends to restrict storm growth; however, a strong storm outside its influence may flush the dust from the lower and middle atlmosphere.

Computer models indicate such a storm may form off the African coast and cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean islands by the end of next week.

Yep, it does. And this is just one more tick in the pro column for A) not flying in day of and B) Never, ever using Carnival's air. I don't I've ever read a story that said that Carnival's air worked out well.

Sometimes A is not an option, I am flying into San Juan the day of, but I have a butt crack of dawn(6am) flight non-stop me personally would never book air through the cruiselines, I like to have control over my flights, I'm sure it has worked out for some people, but it's not for me.

Tropical storm irene discussion number 5

nws national hurricane center miami fl al092011

500 pm ast sun aug 21 2011

irene is gradually becoming better organized in its appearance on

satellite images...with curved bands becoming better defined. The

current intensity is held at 45 kt in accordance with observations

earlier this afternoon from the air force hurricane hunters.

Another hurricane hunter plane is scheduled to investigate irene

around 0000 utc. With a well-defined upper-level outflow

anticyclone situated over the storm...the primary impediment to

strengthening over the next couple of days should be land

interaction. If irene moves over more of hispaniola or over parts

of eastern cuba it will likely be weaker than indicated

here...however if the system ends up moving to the north of both of

those land masses it could strengthen more than expected. The

official intensity forecast is somewhat higher than the latest lgem

statistical-dynamical guidance.

The forward motion has slowed a bit and is now near 285/15. Irene

continues to be steered by the flow on the south side of a

mid-level subtropical ridge over the western atlantic. The

west-northwestward motion is likely to continue for 1 to 2 days

which would bring the center near or over puerto rico...and near or

over the dominican republic. Over the next few days...a couple of

troughs are forecast to create a weakness in the ridge near the

southeast u.s. Coast which should induce a turn to the right around

day 3. Several of the reliable track guidance models such as the

ecmwf and gfs have shifted eastward from their previous runs and so

has the dynamical consensus. The official track forecast has been

shifted a little to the right of that from the previous advisory

and lies on the western side of the guidance envelope. It is

important not to focus on the exact forecast track...especially at

days 4 to 5 since the most recent 5-year average errors at those

forecast times are 200 and 250 miles respectively.

Forecast positions and max winds

init 21/2100z 17.7n 64.4w 45 kt 50 mph

12h 22/0600z 18.2n 66.6w 60 kt 70 mph...inland

24h 22/1800z 18.9n 69.3w 65 kt 75 mph...inland

36h 23/0600z 19.6n 71.5w 50 kt 60 mph...inland

48h 23/1800z 20.3n 73.5w 50 kt 60 mph...over water

72h 24/1800z 22.7n 76.7w 60 kt 70 mph

96h 25/1800z 25.5n 79.5w 75 kt 85 mph

120h 26/1800z 28.5n 81.5w 50 kt 60 mph...inland

$$

forecaster pasch

None of the computer models that I have seen are showing anything near these coordinates at 120h. 2 showing in the gulf and 4 showing landfall in SC.

Carnival's site states that they have a desk set up at the San Juan Airport or guests should call Carnival. It sounds like quite a few missed the boat and will need to get to Barbados.

Only if they have passports. Having only a Birth Certifiicate and Driver's License = fly back to the US and miss cruise all together.

None of the computer models that I have seen are showing anything near these coordinates at 120h. 2 showing in the gulf and 4 showing landfall in SC.

Most have her going up the coast. I understand; you need it to get moving and get out of your way. Good luck and I hope it doesn't mess your cruise up too much.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201109_ensmodel.html

at201109_ensmodel.gif

Edited by Cruise Cat

Sometimes A is not an option, I am flying into San Juan the day of, but I have a butt crack of dawn(6am) flight non-stop me personally would never book air through the cruiselines, I like to have control over my flights, I'm sure it has worked out for some people, but it's not for me.

The poor woman that posted on John's site also left at the butt crack (that made me LOL) but missed the ship, nonetheless. As others have suggested, if my only alternative is to fly in day of, I think I would look for another itinerary that would allow for more room for error. That, or I would just do a different trip altogether (for example, DH and I try to change up Europe for a cruise every so often). I have read so many "day of" horror stories that I just would not choose that stress prior to a vacation. Just my $.02. YMMV, of course :D

Edited to say, that a butt crack non-stop is probably better than nothing. Even so, it would not be something I would risk. With so many airlines having "mechanical issues" and cancelling flights, I just could not do it.

Edited by Vanessa L

I am NOT watching the Weather Channel. I have my fingers in my ears, eyes closed, going "la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la" :p

Won't be the first time I've gotten a letter explaining itinerary changes.

Won't be the last time, either.

Who cares? Not me. Now.... if they run out of Margaritas, I'll be upset. :D

I'm not going until October, but sure they have a lot of red, red wine onboard!:D