Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Irene

We are watching this tropical wave that can possibly come onto Florida by the end of the week. I hope it will not affect our cruise out of Port Canaveral on Saturday. :(

It very well could, if she slows down.

We live in the Orlando area and I"m worried.

Here's the latest. The models have been trending east and a new run will be out in the next 2-3 hours to confirm if this trend is holding. This trend has the hurricane essentially moving up the eastern seaboard fri / sat / sun. The hurricane center always adjusts their track slowly so they don't get caught jumping the track around. This track is good news for florida and bad news for the rest of the east coast. I have been updating my forecasts at least 3 times a day on my site if you want to stay updated.

We're currently flying into FLL on Sat. at noon and leaving out of MIA that afternoon...(And yes, I know all about flying in the day of, but we won these tickets at New Years to FLL and only decided that we'd try to take a cruise 2 weeks ago instead of spending the week in Florida)...The airline we're flying only makes 3 trips from Louisville to FLL a week, so even before the hurricane we had some concerns because they have no other flights to put us on if they don't fly and no relationships with other carriers.

So we were/are considering booking a new one-way flight that would leave the day before, the 26th, but this flight would connect in Charlotte at 10pm on Friday night and then on into Miami...So we're wondering what affect this storm might have on Charlotte late Friday...Maybe we're better sticking with our original flight and keeping our fingers crossed...I almost booked the Valor on the 28th and now I wish I had...Sheeesh

But some models have it slowing and reaching cat2 strength, not getting around JAX until Saturday. Everything depends on how quickly the ridge of high pressure over the Atlantic/Northeast moves off shore. Might be late Tuesday or Wednesday before that is known.

Gonna be a wet and wild week for all cruisers on the seas now or leaving this week. If you're leaving over the weekend 27th/28th from Port Canveral/and south, you should be okay. JAX and Charleston up in th eair and Baltimore/ New York before Sunday might still be good. Gulf is fine (sorry, Texas, no TS rain for you yet again:()

I'm hoping that you are right about the 28th out of Port Canaveral. We are flying in on the 27th and embarking on the 28th. Hopefully, our flight is on time and we'll be ok. Crossing my fingers....

Anyone sailing from Florida soon ought to be watching this one.. And if you fly day of cruise in winter from up north or from anywhere during hurricane season, well, you're an idiot..

We're thoroughly confused as what to do. We're supposed to be leaving on the NCL Sky on Friday afternoon from Miami. According to the latest maps Florida is going to be a mess from Thursday thru Friday. Right now we're supposed to be flying into Miami on Friday morning, but we might be able to catch a late Thursday night flight to Tampa. But not even sure if that would be a good idea. Anyone with any thoughts?

We're thoroughly confused as what to do. We're supposed to be leaving on the NCL Sky on Friday afternoon from Miami. According to the latest maps Florida is going to be a mess from Thursday thru Friday. Right now we're supposed to be flying into Miami on Friday morning, but we might be able to catch a late Thursday night flight to Tampa. But not even sure if that would be a good idea. Anyone with any thoughts?

Exactly...We're in a similar situation...We'd change the flight, but to what??...And we can't leave before Friday...Thursday night maybe, but even that doesn't look good...This is a toughie.

Have even considered the 17hr drive, but are wondering what kind of weather we'd run into doing that as well...Can anyone from Florida comment on what the weather might be like farther inland if Irene would skirt the coast??...I'm not sure how affected say Orlando would be, etc...Not sure I want to drive straight into a bad storm.

We are scheduled to fly into Orlando on Sat at 6:05 PM.. to leave on our cruise on Sunday... Any suggestions or insight? We are flying Southwest Airlines..

I am not as worried about the hurricane affecting the cruise as I know they take all steps to miss the storms, but I am concerned about getting to the port.. We live in New Mexico so driving is not a great option..

Exactly...We're in a similar situation...We'd change the flight, but to what??...And we can't leave before Friday...Thursday night maybe, but even that doesn't look good...This is a toughie.

Have even considered the 17hr drive, but are wondering what kind of weather we'd run into doing that as well...Can anyone from Florida comment on what the weather might be like farther inland if Irene would skirt the coast??...I'm not sure how affected say Orlando would be, etc...Not sure I want to drive straight into a bad storm.

Thought about driving as well, but as you said what are we going to run into. Also we'll be stressed out thinking the entire time about having to drive all the way back as well.

Right now don't want to start thinking about backup plans.

It really depends on where the storm tracks and right now it's just too far away to really be 100% sure. The tropical force winds extend 150 miles. The cone includes all of Florida. it could not hit Florida and hit North or South Carolina.

Next update from the Hurricane Center is at 2 PM, then 5 PM, 8, 11, etc. Keep an eye on the forecasts the rest of the day and go from there.

Hurricane Irene is spinning around in the Caribbean right now and is sure to have an impact on cruises from now until next week. I am booked on Aug 27 Caribbean Princess for Saturday and am starting to wonder what is coming.

We are scheduled to fly into Orlando on Sat at 6:05 PM.. to leave on our cruise on Sunday... Any suggestions or insight? We are flying Southwest Airlines..

I am not as worried about the hurricane affecting the cruise as I know they take all steps to miss the storms, but I am concerned about getting to the port.. We live in New Mexico so driving is not a great option..

By that time Saturday, I think you should be fine. We fly in Friday at 11:30 AM and I am really not too worried the more I see Irene shift east.

It really depends on where the storm tracks and right now it's just too far away to really be 100% sure. The tropical force winds extend 150 miles. The cone includes all of Florida. it could not hit Florida and hit North or South Carolina.

Next update from the Hurricane Center is at 2 PM, then 5 PM, 8, 11, etc. Keep an eye on the forecasts the rest of the day and go from there.

Yep, my life now exists in 3 hour increments. Instead of counting the days to the cruise, I am counting minutes until the next update.

Be safe everyone.

Edited by Thestapels

The currents track has it coming ashore in the Carolina's this weekend so you should be ok (assuming anyone can actually predict these things).

Kirk

I guess the key is what it does after it gets to NC; does it go inland or does it curve up the coast.........We will see

Yep, my life now exists in 3 hour increments. Instead of counting the days to the cruise, I am counting minutes until the next update.

Be safe everyone.

Same here. My stomach has been a wreck since Friday morning.

I've also been checking various sites "shopping" for the best forecast.

Edited by geegee1

I am "scheduled" for a Oasis OTS cruise on the 27th. Needless to say I am packing and I have one eye on the weather channel. The storm just passed San Juan and it headed to the northern coast of the Dominican Republic. The track has the storm skirting the east coast of Fla. The track has moved a little to the right so Fla does not appear (at this time) to be a a direct target. The next 24 hrs will tell the story.

I just saw a weather channel update and "MOST" of the models have the storm off the coast of Fla. And they expect this to be a major atorm when it is all said and done.

Welcome PEL2024 to cruise critic.

In my 10 years of cruising, only 2 times have I ever heard of a cruise actually being cancelled. Generally, the cruise goes as scheduled with changes in the itinerary as needed.

I like this one - very comprehensive...

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201109.html

The mean amalgum here has it as a cat 3 into Charleston (Ugh! If it revs up to cat 3!). If it stays over the water it'll likely get nasty.

Just hope for the best and batten down the hatches. The cruisers off the east will have a less than stellar trip - but hey, it beats working!

The best web sites to track tropical storms that I know of are either:

weather.com or

weatherunderground.com

By the looks of the timing, cruises departing 8/27 or later should not be impacted UNLESS the storm hits FLL or MIA with full force. And that does not appear to be likely.

I like this one - very comprehensive...

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201109.html

The mean amalgum here has it as a cat 3 into Charleston (Ugh! If it revs up to cat 3!). If it stays over the water it'll likely get nasty.

Just hope for the best and batten down the hatches. The cruisers off the east will have a less than stellar trip - but hey, it beats working!

I like that one as well.

I also like Storm Pulse.

Edited by Thestapels

The storm is forecast to be off the S.Carolina/ N. Carolina coast on Saturday; and then it could go up the coast from there, so I think this certainly bares a close watch for people leaving the 27th, either way the waters will be very choppy

Not much I'm afraid. 24 - 36 hour will tell you all you need to know. At the current pace Irene will be done with FLA before Sunday. If your ship makes it to port, you will be ok. [The ride up the coast behide Irene might be rough on those folk.]

If the forcast changes back toward Fl's coast and Irene causes damage on land, well ... 24 to 36 hours will tell you what you need to know.

This track is good news for florida and bad news for the rest of the east coast.

I have several weather events on my "bucket list". One of them is to be in the eye of a storm. When Bob hit the Boston/Cape area, the eye went right over my house. My kids said it was just great. Where was I? On the beach in Florida.

The new run of the ECMWF place Irene right over my house a week from today. And, where will I be? On the beach in Bermuda!

I can't get a break!