Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Irene

Local news this morning had HER hitting Jacksonville and going into the Carolinas. We are very South of Jax, so hope they know what they're talking about. Then again, sorry for the Carolinians.

I have several weather events on my "bucket list". One of them is to be in the eye of a storm. When Bob hit the Boston/Cape area, the eye went right over my house. My kids said it was just great. Where was I? On the beach in Florida.

The new run of the ECMWF place Irene right over my house a week from today. And, where will I be? On the beach in Bermuda!

I can't get a break!

There were many that had that innocent 'stormchaser' attitude around here... until 2004. You're not missing anything. Remember: To get into and out of the eye of a serious hurricane means - being scared to death. Not Six Flags 'Oh My! I'm Scared! How Cool!!' scared - no, more like "People ARE dying out there and it may be me next..." scared. Then you get to spend a week or two without utilities (in the heat of summer) if you're lucky enough to have a home or roof cover left, then rapacious contractors and insurance adjusters... since you'll probably have windows blown in and interior water damage (unless the house is brand new and holds up). No - You're not missing anything...

Hurricane Irene is spinning around in the Caribbean right now and is sure to have an impact on cruises from now until next week. I am booked on Aug 27 Caribbean Princess for Saturday and am starting to wonder what is coming.

If it keeps on that same track as last reported, it should be hitting the Carolinas by Saturday.

Depending on it's path after that is anybody's guess at present. Hopefully, your Canada/New England cruise will be fine. :)

Hurricane Irene is spinning around in the Caribbean right now and is sure to have an impact on cruises from now until next week. I am booked on Aug 27 Caribbean Princess for Saturday and am starting to wonder what is coming.

It sounds like for you the worst case is that you would go thru the remnants of Irene as you are heading back to NYC.

There were many that had that innocent 'stormchaser' attitude around here... until 2004. You're not missing anything. Remember: To get into and out of the eye of a serious hurricane means - being scared to death. Not Six Flags 'Oh My! I'm Scared! How Cool!!' scared - no, more like "People ARE dying out there and it may be me next..." scared. Then you get to spend a week or two without utilities (in the heat of summer) if you're lucky enough to have a home or roof cover left, then rapacious contractors and insurance adjusters... since you'll probably have windows blown in and interior water damage (unless the house is brand new and holds up). No - You're not missing anything...

Don't think I don't understand that. Mother nature will do what she wants, when and where she wants to do it. Understanding exactly what it means and what it may cost is no deterrent. The human scum suckers that prey on the victims of a storms aftermath, or who nickle and dime you out of the protection you thought you paid for deserve their special place in hell.

Storm chasers understand the risks and understand the potential in their activity. I am not one. It is not about an adrenline rush, but it is on my "bucket list"

The more common impact I see is with port facilities. If you are scheduled into a port within a week or so of a hurricane and have private tours schedules, you should always reconfirm. Even if the port is operational, your operator might have other issues like damaged boats, vehicles, lack of power, etc..

According to WCVB Boston's weathermen, they expect Irene to arrive in the Sunday/Monday timeframe. If it appears that your cruise will be affected by Irene, you may have a completely different itinerary or the ports may be changed around. In the past, a hurricane hit Bermuda and the ships (not Princess) were re-routed to a New England/Canada cruise. As I remember, the passengers were incensed and some sued the cruiseline (RCL) which, of course, went nowhere. The opposite could happen with a New England cruise. There aren't as many alternatives or options as in the Caribbean. You'll have a cruise; it just might not go on the scheduled itinerary.

Hurricane IRENE Update Statement

Home Public Adv Fcst/Adv Discussion Wind Probs Maps/Charts Archive UPDATE 000WTNT64 KNHC 222348TCUAT4HURRICANE IRENE TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATENWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092011750 PM AST MON AUG 22 2011...IRENE NOW A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE...REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATETHAT IRENE HAS STRENGTHENED...AND IS NOW A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANEWITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 100 MPH...155 KM/H. DETAILS WILLFOLLOW IN A SPECIAL ADVISORY TO BE ISSUED BY 815 PM AST...0015 UTC. SUMMARY OF 750 PM AST...2350 UTC...INFORMATION--------------------------------------------------LOCATION...19.7N 68.7WABOUT 200 MI...320 KM SE OF GRAND TURK ISLANDABOUT 130 MI...210 KM E OF PUERTO PLATA DOMINICAN REPUBLICMAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...155 KM/HPRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 295 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/HMINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...981 MB...28.97 INCHES$$FORECASTER BRENNAN

I'm a little twisted, I suppose, but I'm 100% game for an altered itinerary. Part of the reason my group of three is traveling on 9/29/2011 is the unknown, the fun, the craziness that can happen when out in the world with friends.

I do realize, however, that my group's approach is hardly the norm... and we certainly don't wish a hurricane or hurricane damage on anyone, or any island.

Now a Category 2.

BULLETIN

HURRICANE IRENE SPECIAL ADVISORY NUMBER 10

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL092011

830 PM AST MON AUG 22 2011

...IRENE INTENSIFIES TO A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE...FURTHER STRENGTHENING EXPECTED...

SUMMARY OF 830 PM AST...0030 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...19.7N 68.7W

ABOUT 200 MI...320 KM SE OF GRAND TURK ISLAND

ABOUT 130 MI...210 KM E OF PUERTO PLATA DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...160 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 295 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...981 MB...28.97 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

--------------------

CHANGES IN WATCHES AND WARNINGS WITH THIS ADVISORY...

NONE.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...

* NORTH COAST OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC FROM THE HAITI BORDER

EASTWARD TO CABO ENGANO

* TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS...SOUTHEASTERN AND CENTRAL BAHAMAS

A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...

* NORTH COAST OF HAITI FROM LE MOLE ST. NICHOLAS EASTWARD TO THE

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC BORDER

* NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...

* SOUTH COAST OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC FROM SANTO DOMINGO EASTWARD

TO CABO ENGANO

* ALL OF HAITI

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR

PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR NATIONAL METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK

------------------------------

AT 830 PM AST...0030 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE IRENE WAS

LOCATED BY AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT

NEAR LATITUDE 19.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 68.7 WEST. IRENE IS MOVING

TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...17 KM/H. A MOTION TOWARD

THE WEST-NORTHWEST WITH A SLIGHT INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS

EXPECTED TONIGHT AND TUESDAY. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CORE OF

IRENE WILL MOVE JUST TO THE NORTH OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC AND

HAITI TONIGHT...NEAR OR OVER THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS AND THE

SOUTHEASTERN BAHAMAS ON TUESDAY...AND NEAR THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS

EARLY WEDNESDAY.

DATA FROM THE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM

SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 100 MPH...160 KM/H...WITH

HIGHER GUSTS. IRENE IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE

SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING

THE NEXT 48 HOURS...AND IRENE COULD BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE ON

TUESDAY.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES...75 KM...FROM

THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 185

MILES...295 KM.

THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE BASED ON DATA FROM THE HURRICANE HUNTER

AIRCRAFT IS 981 MB...28.97 INCHES.

Supposed to be leaving on the Disney dream out of port canaveral on Thursday the 25th. Disney hasn't made any changes to our itinerary they just said they are watching the storm and will steer around it. Wondering when they will tell us if they will be canceling or trying a different route. This storm looks huge, don't know how they are going around it!

We're supposed to be on the Sensation leaving 8/25. Called tonight and spoke with a manager who said they should know by tomorrow morning what's going to happen. She did mention the possibility of canceling, "since it's only a 3 day".

As of this morning the forecast models are holding steady turning Irene before florida and taking it north toward north carolina and up the east coast (possibly just inland). I expect Irene to become a major hurricane and possibly start a rapid deepening phase as it pulls away from Hispaniola later today. I have been updating my forecasts about four times a day (check link below).

IRENE: Some bad language but us crusing this weekend (Port Canaveral for me) are feeling like going to war with Irene

Edited by rogers417

I have several weather events on my "bucket list". One of them is to be in the eye of a storm. When Bob hit the Boston/Cape area, the eye went right over my house. My kids said it was just great. Where was I? On the beach in Florida.

The new run of the ECMWF place Irene right over my house a week from today. And, where will I be? On the beach in Bermuda!

I can't get a break!

Being in the eye of a hurricane is real bad news.

It usually is followed by only one thing that is worst than the hurricane.

FEMA!!!:D

I prefer to go directly to the National Hurricane Center for uo-to-date information on hurricanes.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/025613.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Yeah, NOAA does a pretty good job.

There's only one Hurricane Hunter Squadron. Their data is sent directly to NOAA.

Gee, I wonder what source the other web sites use. :rolleyes:

I prefer to go directly to the National Hurricane Center for uo-to-date information on hurricanes.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/025613.shtml?5-daynl#contents

They do a good job, but when you're local you get reports ad nauseum. First scary, then not so scary. This morning's report sounds good for Florida, but so so good for the Carolinas

Dear Hurricane Expert,

After looking at the foretasted ocean winds and fetch for the end of the week, I would expect a southerly swell for surfing of 5 to 8'.

Since we are sailing from Boston Friday and we are on the ocean Saturday, do you think Irene might produce a ground swell for us, and how large might it be?

Being in the eye of a hurricane is real bad news.

It usually is followed by only one thing that is worst than the hurricane.

FEMA!!!:D

First thing about this Hurricane that has made me laugh