Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Irene

According to WCVB Boston's weathermen, they expect Irene to arrive in the Sunday/Monday timeframe. If it appears that your cruise will be affected by Irene, you may have a completely different itinerary or the ports may be changed around. In the past, a hurricane hit Bermuda and the ships (not Princess) were re-routed to a New England/Canada cruise. As I remember, the passengers were incensed and some sued the cruiseline (RCL) which, of course, went nowhere. The opposite could happen with a New England cruise. There aren't as many alternatives or options as in the Caribbean. You'll have a cruise; it just might not go on the scheduled itinerary.

At the end of the day, If the weather is going to be that bad in Canada/ New England, I would rather have the nice weather in Bermuda, Safety is #1, I can see them making Bermuda the first stop and then swing back to New England for the end of the week after the storm is gone.

MY big question: What does Princess do to PREPARE PRINCESS CAYS & GRAND TURK for the hurricane???

The overall "bad weather" size of Irene is HUGE, so effects will be felt wide & far!!! Really in the NE Atlantic area there are not too many ALTERNATIVE places to go!

I'm supposed to sail on the NCL Jewel out of NYC to FL/Bahamas on Saturday. No updates from them yet on any changes. I'm wondering if they will take us north to Canada or just somehow try to go around the storm and still head South. I'm Ok with either so long as it keeps up safe. I hope they tell us soon so I could try to make plans and know what to pack.

MY big question: What does Princess do to PREPARE PRINCESS CAYS & GRAND TURK for the hurricane???

The overall "bad weather" size of Irene is HUGE, so effects will be felt wide & far!!! Really in the NE Atlantic area there are not too many ALTERNATIVE places to go!

Well we are being encouraged to evacuate our home here in Miami (they are expecting a huge storm surge) plus they do not know yet where the storm will go. If it just wobbles a little to the left then we are doomed. I feel bad for those in the carolinas. Hopefully they are getting ready. This is a very bad hurricane.

MY big question: What does Princess do to PREPARE PRINCESS CAYS & GRAND TURK for the hurricane???!

On Princess Cay they just secure anything that can fly away and call it good. No one actually lives on the Princess property.

Grand Turk actually has a town so they prepare just like anyone would. The shops at the port are all new and have shutters.

I personally prefer to use stormpulse . com for any hurricane related info.

It's incredibly detailed and has fantastic historical data too.

Celine

This is one of the coolest weather trackers (also used by the White House Situation Room, CCL, NASA, etc.) Thankfully Florida is out of the Hurricane cone and in the clear. I sure hope it continues to drift to the West.

http://www.stormpulse.com/

Looks like the Turks and Caicos will bear the full brunt of the Cat 2 hurricane as it passes. It could suffer considerable damage and could be closed for some time afterwards. I hope everyone there is prepared and sheltered.

This is a great site! Thanks:)

You are welcome, on the top left corner you can enter your Zip/City/State in order to track weather around you. To the right if you click on the More button you can select more/less tools to view the weather around you.

Sailing out of Baltimore on Thursday bound for the eastern Caribbean. As I understand it now, Irene will likely be centered several hundred miles west of us and traveling in a northerly bearing as we sail south. I assume we will pretty much escape the hurricane, but wondering what effect the storm will have on our sea and weather conditions in the Atlantic at that time. Any insight on that? Thanks.

Very cool, hope it keeps turning to the east and leaves the US alone

You are so right "drift East" in my post I stated "drift West" sorry about that. If you turn on the "Forecast Models" most show it will continue to drift East

Looks like the Turks and Caicos will bear the full brunt of the Cat 2 hurricane as it passes. It could suffer considerable damage and could be closed for some time afterwards. I hope everyone there is prepared and sheltered.

Jack posted the following on his FB group page about 1 hr ago

John Seery

Things look secure at the Shack. Left the thatch roof up but took the volleyball net down, looks like the concrete building will shield us from the worst easterly winds. Getting 50 plus mile per hour winds now, expecting 60 plus with gusts to 75 mph. Keeping our finders crossed. Thanks for all your thoughts and concern. We got 18 hours of this weather to withstand. Jack and Janet

Well we are being encouraged to evacuate our home here in Miami (they are expecting a huge storm surge) plus they do not know yet where the storm will go. If it just wobbles a little to the left then we are doomed. I feel bad for those in the carolinas. Hopefully they are getting ready. This is a very bad hurricane.

Amazed at what you are saying, since 60 miles North there is no urgency whatsoever. Perhaps for those in low lying areas like on the beach.

Edited by Pia1913

great site. I added it to my favorites list.

We don't usually have to worry about hurricanes coming all the way to Dallas, (although it has happened a few times) but man, do we worry about tornadoes and severe thunderstorms. And of course, we have to be concerned about the Texas gulf coast this time of year. I lived near Galveston for many years and still have friends and family there.

i like stormpulse, its seems it more accurate then weather.com

That is the exact reason why the White House, NASA and Carnival Cruise Line are using stormpulse :)

Jack posted the following on his FB group page about 1 hr ago

John Seery

Things look secure at the Shack. Left the thatch roof up but took the volleyball net down, looks like the concrete building will shield us from the worst easterly winds. Getting 50 plus mile per hour winds now, expecting 60 plus with gusts to 75 mph. Keeping our finders crossed. Thanks for all your thoughts and concern. We got 18 hours of this weather to withstand. Jack and Janet

THANKS for that update. The northern eye wall of the hurricane will be hitting them about now...:(

The Stormpulse site and the NOAA.NHC are 2 of the best I find. Stormpulse is a little flashier, but the data on both is virtually the same.

Track right now has it going right over the top of Half Moon Cay. :eek:

:eek: is right! I hope everything is ok there. Supposed to make my first visit in 11 days!