Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Irene

Never heard of storm pulse and I am weather junkie as much as a cruise junkie!! I will have to check it out, I am active in some of the weather forums on the internet. The one I look at the most is The american weather forum, it is a forum where people analyze weather to the extreme!!

Wasn't Princess Cays out of commision for a time when it was hit by an hurricane a few years ago.

The eye of the storm is the safest. Been in several since I live in Houston. But be careful when the eye moves the winds come back just as strong.

I am praying for people living on the coast in the path of Hurricane Irene.

It's bad enough to have travel plans disrupted or canceled because of the hurricane, but obviously far worse to have your home damaged or destroyed.

I have read several posts from different CC'ers that live in the Carolinas.

Edited by Jimnbigd

They do a good job, but when you're local you get reports ad nauseum. First scary, then not so scary. This morning's report sounds good for Florida, but so so good for the Carolinas

I hear ya, Pia! Between the local stations and the weather channel there are three varying predictions. We prepare for evacuation and will leave when the order is given....but, I can't watch "ad nauseum"!

Would be wonderful if she just veered out to sea ....we never want to see a storm hit landfall anywhere.

who said? Where did you get this. Of course all things are possible, but please don't be an alarmist without substantial back up.

It also mentions it will be catagory 4 before it hits florida on the yahoo front page. Also on the CNN page. Sorry to be an alarmist but it is all over the internet but I know CNN tends to exagerate! They blew the whole 911 thing way out of proportion. If it was on FOX News I would say it is Bull#%@!

It also mentions it will be catagory 4 before it hits florida on the yahoo front page. Also on the CNN page. Sorry to be an alarmist but it is all over the internet but I know CNN tends to exagerate! They blew the whole 911 thing way out of proportion. If it was on FOX News I would say it is Bull#%@!

ummmm how could anyone blow 911 out of proportion:confused:

OK, I just felt an earthquake tremor while sitting on my couch, here in coastal SC!

http://www.stormpulse.com/

Looks like Princess Cays is going to take a direct hit from the hurricane as a Category 3. I hope Princess staff are safe and prepared.

No one lives on the Princess Cay property. Any local staff live in town.

Amazed at what you are saying, since 60 miles North there is no urgency whatsoever. Perhaps for those in low lying areas like on the beach.

We live on Fisher Island and the only way off is by ferry so they are not taking any chances. Last time this happened, our beaches were all washed away and we had no power. Also the ferry did not come to the island for 3 days so we were all stuck, unless you had your own boat.

Actually Florida is out of the hurricane cone, it will go east of us and will not affect land.

Wasn't Princess Cays out of commision for a time when it was hit by an hurricane a few years ago.

Yes, it was closed nearly a year but came back better than ever. There's really not much there to lose besides sand, trees, and a couple of roofs over the buffet area.

Marshhawk said I was being an alarmist. Well I think now you may be lucky if there is a port left to sail out of this weekend int western florida.

We live on Fisher Island and the only way off is by ferry so they are not taking any chances. Last time this happened, our beaches were all washed away and we had no power. Also the ferry did not come to the island for 3 days so we were all stuck, unless you had your own boat.
\

Knowing where you are, I now understand. When did you get stranded; during Andrew? That one never even came up to PBC. We got hit with Wilma; just the colloquial "we." Frances did some local damage in 2004, but we were in Tahiti and never even lost a shrub.

OK, I just felt an earthquake tremor while sitting on my couch, here in coastal SC!

Mich - I DID TOO!! Thought I was going crazy. Just heard about the 5.8 one in Virginia. What's going on?? :eek:

Irene could be upgraded to category 4 hurricane.

It could also snow in Oklahoma tonight, but it probably won't. :D

Granted, your statement is more likely to happen than mine, but still...with earthquakes in Colorado and Virginia, anything can happen. :)

470_268_110823150721.jpeg

On the 12:00 Jax news they did say it could be a Cat 4 after Bahamas but probably only briefly if it makes it. They also said one more easterly turn of 100 miles and she's in the ocean only.

No one lives on the Princess Cay property. Any local staff live in town.

There is a caretaker that lives on the property.

The rest of the folks live somewhere on Eleuthera.

Princess runs a shuttle (back of a truck) to bring them

to work.

Knowing where you are, I now understand. When did you get stranded; during Andrew? That one never even came up to PBC. We got hit with Wilma; just the colloquial "we." Frances did some local damage in 2004, but we were in Tahiti and never even lost a shrub.
My Mom lived in Naples, right on the Gulf, and started getting extremely worried about Wilma due to the TV news reports. She evacuated a couple of days before her building told them to, to the Ritz a bit inland because she could bring her cat. She wasn't going to leave Bennie behind. The next day, they evacuated most of the people in her building there, too. When Wilma hit, there was no electricity for several days, no food other than cold cuts, and no services. Yet, the Ritz charged their full, in-season hotel rate. Jerks. Anyway, when my Mom got back to her co-op, the very heavily protected porch was essentially gone, just the twisted metal railings were left. The storm shutters built into the side of the building were gone. The rain had hit so hard that the tiny pinprick holes in the windows rained water into the rooms, ruining carpeting, furniture, etc. The building next door had most of the side torn off, leaving apartments exposed. It was devastating and at 91yo, it proved to be too much to deal with. She passed away suddenly three weeks later. I swear she was a victim of Wilma. :( I'd visited her just a few days before she evacuated and I'm glad I did. I will never, ever forget Wilma; pretty much the hurricane the media "forgot" even though it was as powerful as Katrina.

Mich - I DID TOO!! Thought I was going crazy. Just heard about the 5.8 one in Virginia. What's going on?? :eek:
California is moving East? :)