Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CupKayke

Miramar Beach ~ Manzanillo

I'm starting this thread about Miramar Beach in Manzanillo at the request of another poster and because there isn't any information about Miramar Beach anywhere else here on the Mexican Riviera forum. I will probably make 2 or 3 posts with all the information I have on Miramar Beach. We will be there in September and I will return with my personal pictures and personal experiences. Hope this helps others who are looking for a beach day in Manzanillo.

We are either taking a shuttle from the pier (there are apparently shuttles at the pier now, offering rides to/fro various places for cheap) or a taxi (approximately $10 to $15 U.S. dollars each way ~ negotiate your price before getting in the cab) or a local bus (marked with Miramar painted on the front window, 4 pesos or 50/60 U.S. cents).

I found this picture of the beach (along with others) which initially got me interested...

miramarbeachmanzanillo.jpg

The caption said - 4 chairs and a table for the day - $10. My research tells me you can get even more than that for the same price... and several bars and restaurants lining the beach will allow you to sit on their area of the beach, in their loungers and under their umbrellas, for free... if you will buy some drinks and/or food... and they will serve you... and I've seen some of the prices... which look very reasonable/cheap ~ $2.50 for Coronas, $6 for margaritas, $12 for fajitas, $2 or less for tacos, and some reports were even better than that.

There are places to rent boogie boards because the beach has a small wave ~ but nothing big if you are used to any type of surf area, this place isn't for you. There are also vendors offering massages (one guy got a 25 minute massage for $15), others offering banana boat rides, wave runners to rent, etc.

There is also an artist's market and an indoor market approximately 50 years north of the beach.

Anyway, I have been going online between here, Trip Advisor, and other sites and copying lots of info to a Word document today. I will post more info in a bit.

More info on Miramar Beach... most of this is cut and pasted from Trip Advisor, here, or other websites that I found were updated with current info. It isn't in any special order. Based on what I can find and what I've read... this is definitely where we are spending our day in Manzanillo!

Miramar Beach is in a region called Santiago Bay....

Bahia de Santiago takes on several other names for specific areas of beach. Miramar (View of the Sea), in front of Club Maeva, is marked by a pedestrian walkway over Highway 200. It is a good boogey boarding and surfing area, particularly at the Olas Altas section by Margaritas restaurant in front of the Hotel Vista Playa de Oro. Miramar Beach has thatched roof restaurants, beach umbrellas, boogie boards and inner tubes for rent, horseback riding and numerous open air markets (tianguis) selling all sorts of tourist treasures. Don't forget to bargain!

In case you are interested...

The road in front of Miramar Beach (where it runs alongside the ocean) is a paved pedestrian walkway.

Miramar Beach is nearly 5 miles long and has everything you would want to spend the day and is lovely to walk along and swim. There is a lovely new club on Miramar Beach called Club Oasis. Located in front of Club Santiago, it cannot be seen from the main street and offers some privacy. The owner is Diego and you can sit in front as long as you have some refreshments. They have a happy hour. If you are lucky there is a wonderful singer that who sings a lot of Elvis songs.

Just across the street from Margarita's/Bora's on Miramar Beach is a little shack that houses Colima Surf Side. They rent surfboards and boogie boards. Their website is http://www.colimasurfside.com/

Miramar Beach can be reached from Karmina Palace ~ if the gates are open ~ apparently, they put up gates and they have been locked recently so you can't walk through to the beach from their pool area. If the gate is unlocked the directions to the beach are... step off the Karmina property, walk through a small creek, and there is 5 miles of beach! The swimming at that direct area is a bit dangerous however... try the beach closeby towards Las Hadas.

(I was concerned about this and did some research. I found out that this is not the "DANGEROUS" area in Manzanillo ~ that is the other direction ~ but there are small waves ~ enough for a boogie board ~ but not enough to enthuse surfers or those who are into great waves... Basically, the further away you go from the center of the bay in either direction, the calmer the waters get. )

Here is another post I found.. The beach in Manzanillo for swimming and boogie boarding is Miramar Beach -- in the Santiago area -- great waves, lots of boogieboarders, bars, flea markets, outdoor restaurants, etc... There will also be guys renting wave runners, boogie boards if you do not have one, and offering banana boat rides.

All of the beachfront restaurants will have umbrellas and tables - most of them will allow you to sit there for free, as long as you're drinking and eating. And they'll bring everything right to your table so you don't have to lift a finger!

One lady said her favorite beachfront area was El Tablao. She posted a pic and listed lots of prices/took a pic of the menu too. Looked good. $2.50 for Coronas and several others. $5 to $6 for margaritas and such.

There are two areas to do souvenir shopping - the artist's market about 150 yards north up the beach and another little indoor market about 50 yards north up the beach - both of these are north of El Tablao, FYI.

By Miramar Beach there are a bunch of little shops. You can't miss it - that's where the cabs take you to shop. They also have a massage place there. Quoting from where I stole this... "My husband went in and came out with Jello legs. He said it was so good he was drooling and his headache went away. 25 minutes for $15.00. He was so impressed he was telling everyone on the beach to go there." (Again, just copied and pasted)

As far as getting there... I posted bus info on another thread I just started tonight - its 4 pesos each way or 50/60 American cents for the bus.... a taxi from the pier to Miramar should cost 200 to 220 pesos each way, and will be about a 20 to 30 minute ride, depending on traffic. Ask the cab driver to take you to the artist's market at Playa Miramar, or to drop you off near the El Tablao parking lot, which is about 150 yards south of the artist's market; from that parking lot, you'll have a selection of different restaurants to walk through and find your lounge chairs.

Here are some pictures of Miramar Beach... (I feel like I'm a travel agent, trying to sell someone a vacation here and I swear I did all this research for myself and my husband! HA)

miramarbeach2.jpg

miramarbeach3.jpg

Anyway, this is what I found. Hope it helps you and/or someone else. I've had the hardest time finding info on the Mexican Riviera so I plan to return and share everything I can with others. If anyone on this board has been to Miramar and can confirm or deny any of this info, feel free, I won't take it personally!! :)

Thanks CupKayke. Good info since there isn't a whole lot of info on Manzanillo. Will be looking forward to your info and pics when you return!

If you notice it while you are there, can you let me know if there are kayak rentals at Miramar?

Thanks!

Last bit of my info on Miramar Beach...

To answer the lady who wanted to know how far it is via taxi from the pier to Miramar Beach...

From the pier to Miramar should cost about 200 to 220 pesos each way, and will be about a 20 to 30 minute ride, depending on traffic. Ask the cab driver to take you to the artist's market at Playa Miramar, or to drop you off near the El Tablao parking lot, which is about 150 yards south of the artist's market; from that parking lot, you'll have a selection of different restaurants to walk through.

All of those beachfront restaurants will also have beachfront umbrellas and tables - most of them will allow you to sit there for free, as long as you're drinking or eating. And they'll bring everything right to your table, so you don't have to lift a finger!

Here's a picture of the beachfront area in front of El Tablao (not the only great restaurant on the beach)

eltablao.jpg

Another great thing is, there are two areas to do a bit of souvenir shopping; the artist's market about 150 yards north up the beach, and another little indoor market about 50 yards north up the beach. (If you're standing in the water looking at the restaurants, both markets are on your left).

Here's a panoramic shot of that section of the beach, taken from out in front of the smaller indoor market. If you squint and cross your eyes a little bit, on the far left side of the picture, you'll see the white building of the artist's market.

PlayaMiramar-2010-5000px.jpg

This is Playa Miramar, taken from ankle deep in the lovely water. On the far left is Mercado de Artesanias, which is what you want to tell the cabbie - either that, or tell him you want to go to Playa Miramar near Club Maeva.

The surf is lovely, and there's a place to rent boogieboards nearby; SUPER fun!

Ooh, one more note; before you climb in your taxi, negotiate your price to get to the beach, and on the way back, negotiate for the cost of getting to the cruise ship. If the cruise ship has any sort of concierge service that will do this for you, let them.

All of the above info is SECOND HAND. I can't confirm or deny anything until we return, FYI.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102667857068835033213/Manzanillo20102011#

https://picasaweb.google.com/102667857068835033213/ManzanilloDowntown#

I quickly threw these together, I hope it works to share this way. You'll noticed that the beach is either packed or empty. Dec. 23- Jan 2 is crazy busy, otherwise it is pretty quiet. La Boquita is at the far end of Playa Miramar. The Oasis Beach Club is in the middle. You can walk this whole stretch. The sand isn't dirty, that is volcanic ash!

I know I have pictures of Tesoro somewhere, it is quite nice, the beach is smaller but you will have some amenities, including the pool. Dani and his crew are great, they will deliver you safely and on time and will helo you choose where to go.

Hey Karen,

The pics are not working for me. Do you think I need a Picasa account to see them? It looks like your link is secure (https). Maybe there is a public link?

Shoot- I thought that might happen. I went in and unsecured them, let's see how that works!

Thanks Karen

We booked the beach/shopping with Dani today

$140.00( for 7 of us) includes the el tablo beach chairs and tour of manznillio, las hadas hotel, iguana place,and shopping

private suv for 7 of us...4 adults 3 kids

If i didnt have my kids...id be a little more adventerous....but first time in manzanillio

thanks again

Shoot- I thought that might happen. I went in and unsecured them, let's see how that works!

Thanks Karen! The pics gave me a good idea what Miramar is like. :)

Karen,

Dani quoted me (in an email) $15usd per person round trip to Tesoro from the cruise ship. The email didn't say how we book it though.

Do you know if their vans just park at the cruise terminal or is this something that I have to schedule?

Just wanted to say... I cannot report any info on Manzanillo. :confused: We ended-up doing the Colonial Excursison with my in-laws... which took us on a 7, almost 8-hour tour ALL DAY LONG from Manzanillo to Colima and Comala (which I would NOT recommend by the way - it's called the Colonial Excursion with Carnival). Anyway, sorry but I got all that info and didn't use it! BUT... I WISH I HAD!!

Just wanted to say... I cannot report any info on Manzanillo. :confused: We ended-up doing the Colonial Excursison with my in-laws... which took us on a 7, almost 8-hour tour ALL DAY LONG from Manzanillo to Colima and Comala (which I would NOT recommend by the way - it's called the Colonial Excursion with Carnival). Anyway, sorry but I got all that info and didn't use it! BUT... I WISH I HAD!!

Well, at least you know for next time....

We decided against Miramar and are going to do Tesoro. Something about spending a hot/humid day in the pool at the swim-up bar sounds good.... ;)

This is a great post and thanks for sharing the research. We are going on Carnival Spirit this thanksgiving week and at-least one port activities are sorted out.. Thanks to you... Will hit the Miarmar beach with my wife and kids (3,5yr old) and enjoy the day there.

I am curious why you didn't like this tour. Took it last year and thought it was one of the best tours we have taken. In fact, there was so much to see we are taking it again in March.

If I've been reading the reports of Hurricane Jova accurately, Manzanillo and that area of the Pacific Coast was hard hit. Lots of beach erosion/damage in some areas. So check carefully for information about current events there, if making a trip in the next month or two.

Yes, Hurricane Jova hit hard and caused a lot of damage, mostly in the villages around Manzanillo but many of the beaches are eroded and or/full of garbage. Playa Miramar is in good shape and should be back to normal within the week. Play Audiencia (the beach for Tesoro) is not bad but you might want to check the progress of clean up.

I will be there Nov. 27 and will give a beach report for those of you heading to Manzanillo.

Yes, Hurricane Jova hit hard and caused a lot of damage, mostly in the villages around Manzanillo but many of the beaches are eroded and or/full of garbage. Playa Miramar is in good shape and should be back to normal within the week. Play Audiencia (the beach for Tesoro) is not bad but you might want to check the progress of clean up.

I will be there Nov. 27 and will give a beach report for those of you heading to Manzanillo.

Thanks!! We definitely plan on Playa Miramar for our Christmas week cruise to Manzanillo. What might there be for us to do- we would like to rent boogie boards, etc. My kids are 11 and 14.

There are boogie boards, banana boats, etc. for rent at various locations on the beach, near the Oasis is the best place to look for these. Christmas week is absolutely crazy and the beach will be packed. At least I hope it is and Jova doesn't keep people away.

What date is your ship giong to be in Manzanillo? We live on Playa Miramar, maybe I'll wander out with my boogie board and snorkle equipment and make a few bucks. haha...just kidding. The beach vendors would not be happy about that!

There are boogie boards, banana boats, etc. for rent at various locations on the beach, near the Oasis is the best place to look for these. Christmas week is absolutely crazy and the beach will be packed. At least I hope it is and Jova doesn't keep people away.

What date is your ship giong to be in Manzanillo? We live on Playa Miramar, maybe I'll wander out with my boogie board and snorkle equipment and make a few bucks. haha...just kidding. The beach vendors would not be happy about that!

We'll be there December 21st. :D

Looking forward to it for sure. I don't mind crowds as long as I can get a cab from the port to Miramar. Should I tell the driver to bring us to the Oasis? Any suggestions are welcomed. Also, will I need to pay the driver or restaurants in pesos, or will they take dollars?

Thank you so much! We are very much looking forward to a new port to discover.

Taxis are plentiful as this is along the main drag. They will take as many people as will fit in a cab but most of the cars are pretty small. (3-4 passengers). I would suggest finding a bigger cab or van when you get there and arranging for him to pick you up at a certain time if he seems trustworthy. We will be there in one week- the weather has bee 85ish every day but they had a cold snap yesterday and it only got to 75. It is 20 in Wisconsin this morning...

Manzanillo is not a huge Canada/USA tourist destination like other areas so you can't use US dollars most places. Pesos are the preferred method of payment.

The beaches are back to normal after Jova already.

I have a few pictures of the area at https://picasaweb.google.com/105299865907019142478/29110920ManzanilloMexicoArea

I live here year round if you're looking for more pictures or information.

Manzanillo is not a huge Canada/USA tourist destination like other areas so you can't use US dollars most places. Pesos are the preferred method of payment.

The beaches are back to normal after Jova already.

I have a few pictures of the area at https://picasaweb.google.com/105299865907019142478/29110920ManzanilloMexicoArea

I live here year round if you're looking for more pictures or information.

Thanks. How do I go about getting pesos if Manzanillo is our first stop? At a bank here at home? Or will the ship exchange?