Cruise Critic Community
editor@cruisecritic

Have any of your cruises been impacted by a hurricane?

Was remembering my first cruise, a New York-Bermuda trip in early September. We'd barely arrived when the captain announced we had to turn back and find another port (fortunately the storm diverted and we got to stay). But I was wondering: If you have ever had a cruise impacted -- in any way -- by a hurricane, what happened? Tell us the good, bad, bizarre....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

In September, 2003, my traveling companions and I were aboard the Zuiderdam when Hurricane Fabian was threatening the Caribbean. The Captain kept the ship well away from the storm, having to cancel St. Maarten inasmuch as the port was closed due to the storm. I do not recall that we experienced anything out of the ordinary although one of my friends was very disappointed in missing St. Maarten. It was the only port on our itinerary that she had not visited and was really looking forward to the island.

I do remember that the Captain kept us well informed as to what was happening and what he was planning.

In September, 2003, my traveling companions and I were aboard the Zuiderdam when Hurricane Fabian was threatening the Caribbean. The Captain kept the ship well away from the storm, having to cancel St. Maarten inasmuch as the port was closed due to the storm. I do not recall that we experienced anything out of the ordinary although one of my friends was very disappointed in missing St. Maarten. It was the only port on our itinerary that she had not visited and was really looking forward to the island.

I do remember that the Captain kept us well informed as to what was happening and what he was planning.

We missed Nassau when Ike was blowing thru because the seas and the wind made it to dangerous to navigate the channel. We had ports reversed last year due to Nicole (I think) and missed HMC last year due to Otto.

At least 5 or 6 times to Caribbean in Sept... over past 15 years and usually going west instead of east or vice versa instead of just changing ports (These were all weeklong cruises).. most recently in 2004 when we were supposed to return to PC on a Sunday and went in to Miami on Wed. at 2:00 a.m. and were bussed back to PC.. Hurricane Jeanne.. "Welcome to day 9 of your 7 day cruise"... they ran out of choc chip cookies.:eek: Captain was great at giving updates etc. and got 'into' the weather thing.. we called him "Captain Cantore"

At least 5 or 6 times to Caribbean in Sept... over past 15 years and usually going west instead of east or vice versa instead of just changing ports (These were all weeklong cruises).. most recently in 2004 when we were supposed to return to PC on a Sunday and went in to Miami on Wed. at 2:00 a.m. and were bussed back to PC.. Hurricane Jeanne.. "Welcome to day 9 of your 7 day cruise"... they ran out of choc chip cookies.:eek: Captain was great at giving updates etc. and got 'into' the weather thing.. we called him "Captain Cantore"

Host Caroline,

I loved the story of your "7" day cruise and Captain "Cantore". I suppose if you sail this time of year you must expect this kind of thing will happen and just try to be flexible. One of the cruiselines has a cruise that's going to Cozumel instead of the Bahamas. I'd say that's an interesting twist.

Anyway,

Loved your story.

We were on a NCL ship (the Sun - I think) out of New Orleans and ran into - Wilma!

We actually had to deport from Galveston because the Port of New Orleans had been shut down that year due to Katrina.

What I remember most was waking up to the capitan saying "Wilma has become a MONSTER."

During the night Wilma became a Category 5 hurricane with winds of 185 mph (295 km/h). It went on to devastate Mexico.

If I remember correctly, there were 14 foot swells....Pretty scary. The boat was rocking and people were throwing up.

I believe we missed all the scheduled ports but we had a lot of fun on the boat. We actually stopped in Veracruz, Mexico. An interesting little town that doesn't see many (or any) cruise ships. The schools let out that day to let the kids see the boat.

Neat story. What an experience that must have been and one cruisers and locals will not soon forget.

our very first cruise; we splurged for a balcony in Sept 2004. Hurricanes hit Port Canavaral bad. we were staying in a hotel and they evacuated us. We went to Orlando and finally got word that we lost two days of our cruise and would have to be bussed to Ft Laurderdale. We drove back to Port Canaveral (a lot of the streets were flooded) but we were determined to go on our cruise. Took 4 hours to get to FL and woohoo we were on board. The ship holds 3000 people, but only 1000 were on board. Carnival did give everyone the opportunity to cancel with a full refund. The people that had been on the ship got two extra days and were bussed back to PC

Once we got out to sea other storms came up. we only stopped at Cozumel and we never got to use our balcony because it was always raining. However the seas were not rough.

Needless to say we always book inside cabins and our next cruise this Sept will be our 40th (20 with Carnival)

That was week we were gone on RCI Mariner! I felt so bad for the folks sitting in the parking lot at Canaveral waiting for the bus to take them south for their cruise since no power in terminal and a hot hot day... Our car was at Radisson at the Port and no damage but it was a brand new car.. we were pleasantly surprised at that.

Edited by Host Caroline

That was week we were gone on RCI Mariner! I felt so bad for the folks sitting in the parking lot at Canaveral waiting for the bus to take them south for their cruise since no power in terminal and a hot hot day... Our car was at Radisson at the Port and no damage but it was a brand new car.. we were pleasantly surprised at that.

you are right it was hot and they had tables set up outside the terminal. The bus was cold; most liked it but too much for me, so I took my handy masking tape and taped up all the vents. Made it comfortable for me and others still had their ac

If the cruise line has to re-route or change itinerary, do passengers get onboard credit? Or is that only when they cancel a port?

Not usually... It's part of your passsenger contract that this can happen so they don't view it as a "breach" that you are compensated for.. that's not to say it never happens, but not usually... You would perhaps get a refund of some port charges. Hurricane season is "magical mystery cruise" season...

Last year, 10/10/10 cruise, Carnival out of Tampa to Western Carib. We got to go to Grand Caymans, then next 3 ports canceled. Hurricane Paula. They did manage to get us a day in Ocho Rios. Lots of extra sea days....Plus Carnival also gave us 25% off next cruise. They didn't have to, but it was very nice that they did. Gotta love how they take care of their passengers, unlike that other cruiseline, which shall remain nameless. Moved Carnival up a notch to me.

A few years ago, we cuised just a few days after a hurricane (I think it was Ivan). It had hit Jamaica and the Caymans pretty bad. We still got to stop in Jamaica but it was pretty tore up and Margaritaville was closed. We didn't get to go to the Cayman's because it was too bad so we got an extra sea day. That didn't bother me. I was still on a cruise and not at work!!!!!!!!w

I love to cruise!!!!!

Tropical Weather Update

August 26, 2011

12:00 p.m. E.S.T

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Irene to ensure guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern.

In an abundance of caution, and in order to provide our guests with a safe and comfortable sailing, Explorer of the Seas will depart Cape Liberty, Bayonne, New Jersey, on Saturday, August 27 at 4:00 p.m. – one hour earlier than originally scheduled. We ask that all guests arrive at the pier no later than 3:00 p.m.

Regrettably, the island of CocoCay, Bahamas, was impacted by the storm, and we feel our guest's experience ashore would be disrupted. Because of this, we have cancelled Majesty of the Seas' call to CocoCay on Saturday, August 27, and Monarch of the Seas' call to CocoCay on Sunday, August 28.

Monarch of the Seas will now stay overnight in Nassau, Bahamas, arriving at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 27 and departing at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, August 28.

Majesty of the Seas will now spend Saturday at sea and call on Nassau, Bahamas, on Sunday, August 28 as scheduled.

At this time, Royal Caribbean has not altered the itineraries of any other ship that departs today, tomorrow or Sunday. Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again tomorrow, August 27 at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T.

My very first cruise, about 20 years ago, was on Carnival. My friend and I had an interior cabin as we were on a budget and so couldn't see what the weather was like outside. On about the third day we noticed that there was quite an increase in rocking but we didn't think anything of it as, hey! We're on a ship and isn't that what they are supposed to do? Fun!

We headed up for dinner, looking like a couple of drunks as we weaved and banged into the walls - the ship was rocking so much that it was impossible to walk in a straight line. We thought that we might be late as we didn't see another soul on our way to the dining room. We were gobsmacked when we got there - there were only about 50 people in the whole place! Our waiters were really surprised to see us - we were the only ones who had shown up from all of their tables! They told us that we were caught in the edge of a developing hurricane and many of the passengers (and crew) were seasick.

We had a really good time that night - everyone was seated close together and we shared food, getting to try all sorts of things. The plates were sliding on the tables, the waiters were laughing and pretending (for the most part!) that they were about to fall over. And all of the after dinner liquors were a gift from the captain!

Thankfully we were out of it by the next day and no ports were missed - people seemed to have recovered and were enjoying themselves for the rest of the cruise.

We took the NCL Gem 9/11/11 7 night cruise to Bermuda, which was changed to Bahamas. We were given a refund of some of the port charges on our onboard account. i have no complaint as safety is also of paramount concern, but we had a different problem. Our Kosher meals , which we ordered 6 months ahead, were not put on board. This was also blamed on the hurricane. We had a poor selection of whatever meals were not consumed on previous cruses. We made do and still had a great time. We hope to visit Bermuda next year.:)

My husband and I went on our first cruise together in 2006. We sailed out of New Orleans and were to go to Costa Maya and Cozamel. Hurricane Dean came through just before we left and destroyed Costa Maya, so we went to Progresso instead. We did have a few lingering thunderstorms that we sailed through, but nothing major. We still had a great time. I was glad to relax after watching the weather channel for weeks before the cruise getting more and more worked up everytime they showed where Dean was....LOL

My wife and I had our first cruise booked in August 2011, we had planned to go early to visit New York. Well Irene had different plans for us and she closed New York ! and we ended up having to stay in Newark New Jersey for two days!

We made the best of it and ended meeting some great people also stranded there, we lost a day of our cruise on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda, but Celebrity gave us a very generous on board credit for the lost day.

What we did to make up for it is we booked the same cruise, ship & stateroom for May 2012 and loved both cruises despite the minor set backs :D

Back "in the day"... We were unknowingly being chased by Hurricane Andrew on our way back to Miami. We only heard mention of some storms and rough seas we had to go around. Spent the night in Ft Lauderdale... woke up and they were evacuating the city... had no idea why LOL.

I've got a whopping two cruises under my belt and both have been "affected" by hurricanes and/or storms. The first was out of Long Beach to the Mexican Riviera - didn't make a single port. People on the ship were all bent out of shape because they heard the other lines ships made at least some of the ports. We stopped at Ensanada and San Diego. Made the most of it and had a great time all the same!

2nd cruise out of Port Canavarel just had to flip/flop St Thomas and St Maarten on the itinerary - messed with some of our excursions because of the timing but it didn't miss out on much except for cutting one of our daysail charters a little short because the ship didn't stay as long as originally planned. I think I remember one night that we were awakened by some rocking of the ship but even that was just kind of interesting - didn't cause any problems.

I just make sure we have trip insurance for all this stuff. My attitude is the vacation is the journey - the destiination is just a bonus!

I too was sailing during Hurricane Andrew in 1992. We had heard about a tropical storm on the way down to Miami, but we did not think that it would effect our cruise. When we stopped at the port in Nassau, the Captain made an announcement that the storm was heading toward the Bahamas and the ship would depart at 10:00 p.m. instead of midnight. We sailed out of Nassau with other cruise ships and the Navy sailing behind us. Since our ship was due back into Miami on the day Andrew was making landfall, we stayed out in the middle of the ocean enjoying warm sunshine and a dead calm sea while the sky to our North was completely black. The staff of Royal Caribbean were wonderful. They made sure all of the passengers were accomondated until they could get us safely off of the ship and on our way back home.

My husband and I went on our first cruise together in 2006. We sailed out of New Orleans and were to go to Costa Maya and Cozamel. Hurricane Dean came through just before we left and destroyed Costa Maya, so we went to Progresso instead. We did have a few lingering thunderstorms that we sailed through, but nothing major. We still had a great time. I was glad to relax after watching the weather channel for weeks before the cruise getting more and more worked up everytime they showed where Dean was....LOL

We were in Costa Maya just before Dean, made me sad to see so much destruction, to such a beautiful place, still have a great piece of jewelry to remind me of our great time there, hope to go back some day.

We also got delayed out of Mobile a couple of years back, leaving in November, but all was good, we got to go somewhere we had never been, and got onboard credit, a refund of some port charges. All was good, kind of liked the adventure. We did spend 2 days in Prattville AL, at the Bass Pro shops, so DH was fine as well. Spent all his gambiling $ in Bass Pro.

Very first trip tropical storm in Sept 2010 caused very first port to be missed (key west) and due to rough seas we pulled into port early (Nassau) and remain there for two days, we received port charges for missing Key west but was minimal!! Second cruise Sept 2011 originally planned for the Eastern Caribbean the entire charter bus was told once we pulled into the terminal by a Carnival Representative that the itinerary had been changed due to Katia so we would not be going to the Western Caribbean. Having been to either I didn't care but had wanted to visit an airport in St. Maarten where planes fly dangerously close to the beach( yea I know weird) well we boarded the ship and did the whole eat and had a drink or two and then we all went about our ways to our cabin and then within minutes of leaving the port the captain made an announcement that the original itinerary would now be reinstated!! (I think everyone on board was screaming in happiness)