Irene - Veendam NYC Arrival/Departure 8/28

Sagedeb

I was talking to my husband last night about next week's sailing and the logistics of embaking without power in NYC.

If you drive to the port as we do, the elevator from the parking lot to the terminal would not be working so you would have to lug your bags or drop off curbside and drive back around.

There would be no lights or a/c in the terminal. I guess the metal detectors would not work. The behind the desk prep could be done on the ship, maybe? It would be even worse if the area flooded.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the food loaded. With the city shut down, I don't think this would be a priority to anyone but those on the ship.

As others have stated, the airports will be shut down, so many will not make it in.

I would be very surprised if Veendam was able to leave even Monday if the storm hits as scheduled.

I wish all booked the best. My sailing has alot of cabins--maybe you will end up there:).

We here in MA are a bit bewildered with the weather this year. We had just about the harshest winter this year we've had in years with so many feet of snow, homeowners (including us) had to have roofs shoveled because of the weight of the snow. My contractor ordered me out of the house and sent a team of men to my roof with shovels. It was bowed from the weight and not far from caving.

Just this month, we had a devastating tornado blow through that wrecked terrible damage, we had the shocks from Virginia's earthquake that traveled north of even us and now this terrible hurricane bearing down on us.

Instead of comparing 'who has the worst weather' can't people just be human enough to simply wish us well.

I, for one, am starting to become extremely nervous about this storm. As we get older, it gets harder to cope with these fearful events. Please, just wish for us to be safe and our homes come through intact. Thanks.

DH has responsibilitie with his office he must see to today so I am trying to get our house as ready as I can. We don't have storm shutters in Boston like people in Florida have but I'm bringing in all the loose things in the yard. The lawn chairs and hoses etc This storm is frightening me.

For whatever reason ... whenever one area of the country or world is faced with a potential weather disaster there are people in other parts of the world who feel they may have experienced something similar or worse in another type of weather condition. When you live through a hurricane it is the worst Hell on earth. When you're in the midst of a devastating blizzard I'm sure it can feel the same way.

Each condition is different and we can't compare them, but I think it's natural to react with an "it's fine over here" remark without malice. After the recent earthquake, California was laughing their AO because they go through a 5.8 just about every 2 years and consider it a minor shaking. Jokes erupted all over the internet.

Anyway ..... :). That said, in this particular circumstance there is the belief by experts that this could well be a 100 year event. The former head of the NHC, Max Mayfield, has said that this is the nightmare storm he always feared, the track hitting literally millions of people.

So it is possible that this is an event that has little match, at least in the history of North America, because it will affect such a massive area. The technology has improved and hurricane forecasters have become so much more accurate in recent years in predicting the path of these things so unfortunately it's likely to be pretty much as predicted.

So all kidding and jokes aside, I sure hope that everyone in its path heeds the directions from FEMA and the NHC and I sincerely hope that HAL recognizes how great the risk is and keeps Veendam wherever passengers, crew and the ship itself will be most safe.

AMEN!!

Watching the Weather Channel and they are saying could be the worst on record. Best they can compare it to is 1944 when Long Island was literally split in two. And then with (IIRC) 1821 when NYC was still a fledgling city and was almost totally wiped out.

Catastrophes are always worse when "we" are being directly impacted. We forget that "others" go through their own catastrophes and tend to blow theirs off because we thought we had it worse:(

Joanie

We live in NC and the rest of my family lives in FL. My entire family has lived through hurricanes, tonadoes, and now an earthquake! Wwe have lost houses to natural disasters.

NO storm is to be taken lightly - no matter where it hits, peoples lives are at risk and their proterty/lives will be disrupted. while this storm does affect us personally, even when there was a tsunami halfway across the globe, we all felt it for the people involved. Our hearts went out to them and we all did what we could to help.

This storm is no different. Whatever devistation occurs, we will all come together as a nation and deal with it.....we are strong and watch out for one another....and that is what makes America GREAT!!!

If HAL opts to go out to sea Sunday morning, do you think they'd let us get on the ship Saturday?
No. Those on the current cruise are being given the option of staying on board Sat night, so many rooms may still be occupied.

This is, I believe, for the Carnival Pride which sails every Sunday from Baltimore (we took her last summer on a cruise to the Bahamas).

Anyone interested should double check Joanie's quote from John Heald because I suspect msmayor is correct and it doesn't refer to Veendam.

If it does, then they haven't informed HAL because their travel advisory still maintains that the disembarking Veendam passengers Saturday have the option to "enjoy New York" Saturday night. Good luck with that:rolleyes:

No. Those on the current cruise are being given the option of staying on board Sat night, so many rooms may still be occupied.

I think she was asking in light of the report (which may prove wrong) that Veendam would be debarking pax on Saturday morning, then heading out to sea ... She thought maybe, since she'd be in town early, the'd let her board.

Instead of comparing 'who has the worst weather' can't people just be human enough to simply wish us well.

I, for one, am starting to become extremely nervous about this storm. As we get older, it gets harder to cope with these fearful events. Please, just wish for us to be safe and our homes come through intact. Thanks.

This storm is frightening me.

I share your concern, Judy and just wish that everyone on CC says a prayer that those of us in harm's way make it through this storm safely.

I have just confirmed reading John Heald's posts on Facebook that the information posted by Joanie earlier definitely refers to the Carnival Pride and NOT the Veendam. The post is very clear stating his is cut and pasting a report from Brent onboard the Pride.

Any question where that's concerned, just scroll the posts on his FB page and you'll see it: https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald. It's about 7 or 8 posts down.

I have just confirmed reading John Heald's posts on Facebook that the information posted by Joanie earlier definitely refers to the Carnival Pride and NOT the Veendam. The post is very clear stating his is cut and pasting a report from Brent onboard the Pride.

Any question where that's concerned, just scroll the posts on his FB page and you'll see it: https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald. It's about 7 or 8 posts down.

Yes, I am referencing his FB Blog posts for the info only because it seems to be the best for up to date info on what is and may be happening.

Since we are not getting anything from HAL at this moment, who else should we look to for info?:)

For all who do not know, John Heald is the Head Cruise Director for Carnival Cruise Line and is the Cruise Director for the ship he is on at the moment which is basically doing a similar itinerary as the Veendam.

I apologize for the confusion, just trying to keep everyone up to date.

Joanie

Watching the Weather Channel and they are saying could be the worst on record. Best they can compare it to is 1944 when Long Island was literally split in two.

I could not find anything about damage like that on Long Island from the 1944 hurricane, but in 1985 Hurricane Gloria split Long Beach Island in two.

A complete breach of Long Island would be quite catastrophic.

Just for the record I was not doing that. What I was saying is that we all do need to have sympathy for each other and not make glib remarks like "it's beautiful here". That's just wrong. I am also very worried about this storm as I know people in affected areas. I'm sorry if you could not see that.

Yes, I am referencing his FB Blog posts for the info only because it seems to be the best for up to date info on what is and may be happening.

Since we are not getting anything from HAL at this moment, who else should we look to for info?:)

For all who do not know, John Heald is the Head Cruise Director for Carnival Cruise Line and is the Cruise Director for the ship he is on at the moment which is basically doing a similar itinerary as the Veendam.

I apologize for the confusion, just trying to keep everyone up to date.

Joanie

But by not explaining it was about a Carnival ship --posting it on a thread about Veendam -- you have confused at least one person who is booked on the next Veendam cruise!

Incomplete information is worthless.

And the saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" rings true here.

People use these boards for information, and right now people are concerned about the storm and its effects on their cruises.

To blindly post an item - referring to a completely different ship and cruise line - on a thread about a specific HAL ship is irresponsible.

I realize you want to perform a service to others, but in this case, it is a disservice.

Until HAL releases the information on what it plans to do with Veedam, there is nothing that can be done.

I could not find anything about damage like that on Long Island from the 1944 hurricane, but in 1985 Hurricane Gloria split Long Beach Island in two.

A complete breach of Long Island would be quite catastrophic.

I was quoting what was talked about yesterday on The Weather Channel. I did no research on it Peter, just reported what they said.

Just found this on WikiPedia, not sure how relevant it is but.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1944_Great_Atlantic_hurricane

Joanie

This information is on Hal's site under travel advisories.

Travel Advisory Regarding Hurricane Irene

As a result of weather and sea conditions related to Hurricane Irene in the Atlantic, nearby cruise itineraries have been reviewed. While we intend to stay as close as possible to the published schedules, there may be some changes to select itineraries. The current status is as follows:

ms Veendam August 21, 7-day Bermuda Cruise

The ship departed Bermuda at 5:00pm on Thursday, August 25, and is scheduled to arrive in New York one day early on Saturday, ahead of the storm's anticipated arrival. Guests are welcome to disembark on Saturday or overnight until Sunday and enjoy New York. Those onboard have been notified.

ms Veendam August 28, 7-day Bermuda Cruise

There are no itinerary changes at this time. Guests will embark in New York on Sunday, August 28 as planned and the ship is scheduled to sail at 4:45pm.

Based on the storm’s progress and intensity, departure may be delayed but that decision will not be made until Saturday evening or Sunday. If there is a delay, it will be posted on our website.

ms Maasdam, July 23, 35-day (roundtrip Boston) or August 9, 18-day (Amsterdam to Boston) Voyage of the Midnight Sun

Holland America Line expects no changes to this schedule. The ship is due to arrive in Boston as scheduled on Saturday, August 27 at 7:00am.

ms Maasdam August 27, 7-day Canada/New England Cruise (Boston to Montreal, Quebec)

There are no itinerary changes at this time. Guests will embark in Boston on Saturday, August 27, as planned and the ship is scheduled to sail at 5:00pm.

Itinerary adjustments will be made if storm conditions require doing so but any changes will not impact the time of departure from Boston.

We will continue to monitor the weather conditions closely and communicate any further changes if necessary to guests and travel agents as they are implemented. Updates will also be posted at 10:00am and 10:00pm Pacific Daylight Time in the Travel Advisory section at www.hollandamerica.com.

At Holland America Line the safety of our guests and crew is our top priority.

NY will start shutting down the subways SATURDAY AT NOON! Fox News reports they could be shut down thru Monday. If winds reach 60 MPH or more, the George Washington Bridge will be shut down. So anyone going to NY needs to know that transportation will be a big challenge after noon on Saturday...

Mayor Bloomberg is talking live now, he reports not ONLY are the subways (MTA) will began shutting down at noon Saturday, but in addition, ALL MASS TRANSIT will be affected....

Full evacuation of the Rockaways have been ordered.

wonder how they think they are going to embark passengers on Sunday with no one to work at the pier...and who is going to be driving these shuttles....

The ship departed Bermuda at 5:00pm on Thursday, August 25, and is scheduled to arrive in New York one day early on Saturday, ahead of the storm’s anticipated arrival. Guests are welcome to disembark on Saturday or stay overnight until Sunday morning. Those onboard have been notified of these options.

The ship will remain in New York overnight on Sunday, August 28, and now depart Monday, August 29, at 2:00 pm. Guests are welcome to embark as scheduled on Sunday or may embark on the ship Monday morning from 8:00 am until 1:00 pm. Weather permitting, shuttles will operate from the ship into areas within Manhattan for guests' convenience.

Travel Advisories

Print page shown August 26, 2011 - 10:55AM PDT

Travel Advisory Regarding Hurricane Irene

As a result of weather and sea conditions related to Hurricane Irene in the Atlantic, nearby cruise itineraries have been reviewed. While we intend to stay as close as possible to the published schedules, there may be some changes to select itineraries. The current status is as follows:

The ship departed Bermuda at 5:00pm on Thursday, August 25, and is scheduled to arrive in New York one day early on Saturday, ahead of the storm’s anticipated arrival. Guests are welcome to disembark on Saturday or stay overnight until Sunday morning. Those onboard have been notified of these options.

The ship will remain in New York overnight on Sunday, August 28, and now depart Monday, August 29, at 2:00 pm. Guests are welcome to embark as scheduled on Sunday or may embark on the ship Monday morning from 8:00 am until 1:00 pm. Weather permitting, shuttles will operate from the ship into areas within Manhattan for guests' convenience.

The revised itinerary is below:

DATE LOCATION ARRIVE DEPART Sunday, Aug 28 New York

overnight Monday, Aug 29 New York

2 pm Tuesday, Aug 30 At Sea

Wednesday, Aug 31 Hamilton, Bermuda 9 am overnight Thursday, Sept 1 Hamilton, Bermuda

overnight Friday, Sept 2 Hamilton, Bermuda

2 pm Saturday, Sept 3 At Sea

Sunday, Sept 4 New York 7am

ms Maasdam, July 23, 35-day (roundtrip Boston) or August 9, 18-day (Amsterdam to Boston) Voyage of the Midnight Sun

Holland America Line expects no changes to this schedule. The ship is due to arrive in Boston as scheduled on Saturday, August 27 at 7:00am.

ms Maasdam August 27, 7-day Canada/New England Cruise (Boston to Montreal, Quebec)

There are no itinerary changes at this time. Guests will embark in Boston on Saturday, August 27, as planned and the ship is scheduled to sail at 5:00pm. Itinerary adjustments will be made if storm conditions require doing so but any changes will not impact the time of departure from Boston.

Itinerary adjustments will be made if storm conditions require doing so but any changes will not impact the time of departure from Boston.

We will continue to monitor the weather conditions closely and communicate any further changes if necessary to guests and travel agents as they are implemented. Updates will also be posted at 10:00 am and 10:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time in the Travel Advisory section at www.hollandamerica.com.

At Holland America Line the safety of our guests and crew is our top priority.

Joanie

Good question, Mayor Bloomberg stated that mass transit could be shut down thru Monday sometime. COULD BE. However, Saturday at NOON, Mass Transit WILL BE starting to shut down, so that is MAJOR for the cruise passengers!

The situation in NYC is so extreme and unusual I would like to see HAL take the very high road and offer its customers on this cruise the opportunity to cancel with no penalty. No refunds, just a credit for a future cruise. Yes, some people do have cancel-for-any-reason insurance, but most have medical insurance and not a policy where they could cancel for weather related issues.

HAL's older pax in particular do not need to be dealing with the conditions that they in all probability will have in NYC this weekend and Monday. Even getting emergency health services if needed are not guaranteed. This is a safety and health issue for many. Yes, HAL is a for-profit business, but I think a fair cancellation policy now would benefit HAL in the long run. It's the right thing to do.

AND...if it looks to be as bad as they say, NYC may tell them they CAN'T stay at the pier after they arrive on Saturday....

I just looked at the NYC evacuation zones, looks like all the cruise piers are in the A zones along with JFK and LGA airports.

I just looked at the NYC evacuation zones, looks like all the cruise piers are in the A zones along with JFK and LGA airports.

Well, that is a HUGE issue, I wonder what their plan is now? This is awful, I pray for everyone in Irene's path, and I hope they ALL listen to the warnings and get out as soon as they can.

Archived