Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Katia

I sail next Monday and was relieved to hear the good news about Grand Turk, Nassau and HMC. Our roll call had pretty much written off HMC but then it sounded as if we might be back on track. That was then....

This is now....with TD12 forming out there, soon to be Hurricane Katia...looks like she's heading straight towards the Bahamas! :(

I sail next Monday and was relieved to hear the good news about Grand Turk, Nassau and HMC. Our roll call had pretty much written off HMC but then it sounded as if we might be back on track. That was then....

This is now....with TD12 forming out there, soon to be Hurricane Katia...looks like she's heading straight towards the Bahamas! :(

CRAP! We sail out on Sunday for Nassau and Freeport. :(

Here is National Hurricane Center's chart

showing where they reckon TD-12 will track

over the next few days.

TD-12-track.gif

I also have this chart posted to cruisecritic's Photo Gallery at

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/510/TD-12-track.gif

where I'll try to update it as frequently as practical.

Those of you going on Bahamas cruises should follow this one closely.

It seems these dang storms always hit homeports when ships are scheduled to disembark/embark -- why is it??? If Irene had hit midweek, the cruise ships+passengers wouldn't have had such a difficult weekend. Seems to be that way alot!!!

This one does not look good for this weekend in San Juan. Should they be able to forecast the path by Thursday this week? Understanding that this is not a exact

It seems these dang storms always hit homeports when ships are scheduled to disembark/embark -- why is it??? If Irene had hit midweek, the cruise ships+passengers wouldn't have had such a difficult weekend. Seems to be that way alot!!!
Well, Irene left a lot of rain midweek in the Florida ports, but their weekend was glorious, and most of those ships had diverted itineraries due to the storm. But embark/disembark was easy. Bit yes, anything mid-Atlantic and north had problems and that was probably a good dozen or so ships this time of year. Edited by cherylandtk

We have our next (second) cruise set for 9/11 out of Baltimore (Pride). At home we've endured earthquakes, ongoing and subsequent aftershocks (we live 8 miles from the original epicenter), and then Hurricane Irene. Work has been absolutely insane-paced (just moved our entire office to a new building) and to say the least, I am beyond ready for this vacation!

Now there are reports that Hurricane Katia (I think it's still considered Tropical Storm) is building up and appears to have set a course for the Caribbean. The news coverage that I've read would have me believe that "she" might still be around and mucking up my vacation come 9/11.

Do we have any weather experts on our forums that can offer any insight as to what we might expect? I'm hoping I'm panicking for no good reason, but I am desperate for smooth sailing. :(

We have our next (second) cruise set for 9/11 out of Baltimore (Pride). At home we've endured earthquakes, ongoing and subsequent aftershocks (we live 8 miles from the original epicenter), and then Hurricane Irene. Work has been absolutely insane-paced (just moved our entire office to a new building) and to say the least, I am beyond ready for this vacation!

Now there are reports that Hurricane Katia (I think it's still considered Tropical Storm) is building up and appears to have set a course for the Caribbean. The news coverage that I've read would have me believe that "she" might still be around and mucking up my vacation come 9/11.

Do we have any weather experts on our forums that can offer any insight as to what we might expect? I'm hoping I'm panicking for no good reason, but I am desperate for smooth sailing. :(

pack cool just in case you end up in canada. it happens.

All of the computer models I've seen project Katia to be an Atlantic event with Bermuda being the only land mass that might be effected.

Of course, this far out the projections mean little... they're only a slightly educated guess... Give it a few days and let the forecasts settle down.

:)

All of the computer models I've seen project Katia to be an Atlantic event with Bermuda being the only land mass that might be effected.

Of course, this far out the projections mean little... they're only a slightly educated guess... Give it a few days and let the forecasts settle down.

:)

So much for experts. The ones I heard said Bahamas...so your experts say only Bermuda, but others saying Bahamas and East coast. Even experts dont agree.

Edited by firefly333

So much for experts. The ones I heard said Bahamas...so your experts say only Bermuda, but other saying Bahamas. Even experts dont agree.

I NEVER listen to mass media when it comes to extreme weather. They're far more interested in the story and generating ratings than the facts.

I'm basing what I said on data from the NOAA, GFS, NOGAPS, UKMET and several others...

The guy wasnt media, he was a weather expert. People were hoping it would come on thru to the gulf and help Texas and he said this would be a east coast hurricane, not going into the gulf.

They dont know which islands will be hit this far in advance, even if you see it as only hitting Bermuda. My roll call is watching it closely as you can imagine. I was hoping to get changed to eastern from western, but looks like western will be fine, drat.

It does look to me too though like its going too far north to hit my ports... Bermuda is in its way.

Edited by firefly333

According to stormpulse by Sunday it will be a Hurricane Cat 3 and about 600 miles East of San Juan moving NE. From the looks (if no major changes on direction) it will end up between US and Bermuda (closer to Bermuda)

http://www.stormpulse.com/

Too early to tell, but looks like it's pretty far north to effect much of islands or the south east coast, with out something odd happening and pushing it south (which none of the models show). My guess is a fish storm (going out to sea) at this point. still, I'm no expert, just watched a lot of these from my time living on The Georgia coast.

I am praying you all are correct about it either not forming, or staying as an ocean storm, staying away from all land.

My Sensations cruise leaves out of Orlando on Sunday the 4th and I need this vacation in a bad way!

:(

PS: Thank you for the weather links. I love weather .. 'cept when it messes up my vacation plans :D

I am praying you all are correct about it either not forming, or staying as an ocean storm, staying away from all land.

My Sensations cruise leaves out of Orlando on Sunday the 4th and I need this vacation in a bad way!

:(

PS: Thank you for the weather links. I love weather .. 'cept when it messes up my vacation plans :D

I think you will be just fine, it will stay at sea moving N :D

Thanks everyone for the thoughts! I know it's anyone's best guess as this point, but I surely will be watching this storm like a hawk. I agree that the news appears to enjoy amping things up despite having little information.

What in the world is going on with Mother Nature these days?! That's probably an entirely different thread, but one must wonder.

As the days progress, if anyone gets any new weather scoop, please let us all know!! Meanwhile, I'll be crossing my fingers and maybe even my toes that none of us will have to worry with Katia.

Booking mid August thru Sep. off the east coast is always a risk because of the weather. If you are able to board the ship you will have a cruise even if you miss the scheduled ports. They've been there, done that many times. Since he path of Irene was unusual I'd guess your chances of decent weather for embarkation is very good.

Booking mid August thru Sep. off the east coast is always a risk because of the weather. If you are able to board the ship you will have a cruise even if you miss the scheduled ports. They've been there, done that many times. Since he path of Irene was unusual I'd guess your chances of decent weather for embarkation is very good.

Agreed! Thank goodness I had the good sense to get the insurance - although I think it goes without saying - I hope I don't have to use it. ;)