Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Katia

I NEVER listen to mass media when it comes to extreme weather. They're far more interested in the story and generating ratings than the facts.

I'm basing what I said on data from the NOAA, GFS, NOGAPS, UKMET and several others...

Exactly. See Irene, if you listened to mass media NYC was going to be leveled. NOAA is the best.

So much for experts. The ones I heard said Bahamas...so your experts say only Bermuda, but others saying Bahamas and East coast. Even experts dont agree.

It's like calling Carnival!:D

Being a FL resident like others here....I usually keep track of hurricanes using www. nhc.noaa.gov ... which is the National Hurricane Centers web page. They do every 3 hour forcasts and corrections to the path of the storm......Many TV forcasters get their information from there, so you can read it there really right before the televisions hacks recite it to you on TV.

I think the new advisories come out at 11, 2, 5 and 8 am and pm. It really is too far off to tell with Katia really. These forcast tracks change constantly and it could end up no where near the Caribbean. Good Luck though and I wish you smooth sailing!

Editing to add.. Katia looks to be turning north this Sunday before it get to the Caribbean.... I'd bet a million dollars that storm is long gone before you sail on the 11th! Keep your eye out in the Atlantic for anything new brewing starting around this weekend or next week...

Edited by StingRaysfan

All of the computer models I've seen project Katia to be an Atlantic event with Bermuda being the only land mass that might be effected.

Of course, this far out the projections mean little... they're only a slightly educated guess... Give it a few days and let the forecasts settle down.

:)

I am sticking with this Mac, I need hope as I leave this Saturday.

just so i leave fll. i would take six nights to nowhere

Shhh, I put visa card points and stock OBC on my RCL onboard account to cover tips and excursions and whatever. Its nonrefundable, so I woudnt be too thrilled with no ports.

Just take me somewhere.

Without getting too technical....

All the High Pressure Systems that have invaded the southeast is whats helping push the storms up the east coast before they head into the Gulf.

When you start seeing Low Pressure Systems ("L" depicted on the chart below) starting to slip into the southeast US again, that is when the storms or hurricanes might impact the Gulf.

So all this umbearable heat we've been having is actually a blessing in disguise for any Western Caribbean Cruises.

http://aviationweather.gov/adds/progs/nav.php?current=4

I, too, am sailing 9/11 aboard Carnival Valor and am watching this. I found this on the Weather.com (although thanks to the guy who talked about the National Hurricane website--I will go look it up!):

- While tropical depressions that initially form this far east have a greater chance of curving back out to sea before reaching the U.S., that is not yet certain to occur in this case.

I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Oh how we could use some rain here :(

Good luck with your cruise!

The guy wasnt media, he was a weather expert. People were hoping it would come on thru to the gulf and help Texas and he said this would be a east coast hurricane, not going into the gulf.

They dont know which islands will be hit this far in advance, even if you see it as only hitting Bermuda. My roll call is watching it closely as you can imagine. I was hoping to get changed to eastern from western, but looks like western will be fine, drat.

It does look to me too though like its going too far north to hit my ports... Bermuda is in its way.

We're sailing on Monday 9/5..if Katia doesnt turn north, we'd probably get diverted and miss our current ports of HMC, GT and Nassau.

Our Roll Call is definitely keeping an eye on this one.

We're on the Oasis 9/10 sailing. Supposedly (well, according to stormcarib.com) Sept 10th is the historical peak of hurricane season. Greaaat. Here's hoping mother nature leaves us some islands to enjoy for all of our vacations!

Note to self - if at all possible, don't gamble with Mother Nature - plan all future cruises during non-hurricane season. Doh! :o

Edited by avandrie

They are thinking that Bermuda might get this one and then go back out to sea. The lower 48 (and the Caribbean) seems that it might actually dodge this one. FINGERS CROSSED!

Note to self - if at all possible, don't gamble with Mother Nature - plan all future cruises during non-hurricane season. Doh! :o

You can still run into pretty strong storms non-hurricane season.

We ran into some rough sea in July during an Alaska cruise.

Also managed to get in some choppy seas(seasick bags were placed all over the ship) on a spring break cruise and nye cruise.

As for getting to the port, severe weather happens all over.

I'm booked on the CB sailing out of NYC on 9/10. Yes I did book insurance and if I have to cancel the airplane tickets I'll get vouchers to use on another trip(I travel a lot, so it won't go to waste).

I have updated my forecasts for Katia.... check the link below. As pointed out previously, it is too early to tell if land will be affected. Katia possibly could come close enough to Bermuda to produce some effects and possibly eastern Canada a few days after that. BTW, I am also doing mini-updates on my tropicalweather.net facebook page. Happy sailing!

Thanks for your update. We will be on the RC Enchantment and are supposed to be in Bermuda Mon/Tues. Hoping for the best.

I have updated my forecasts for Katia.... check the link below. As pointed out previously, it is too early to tell if land will be affected. Katia possibly could come close enough to Bermuda to produce some effects and possibly eastern Canada a few days after that. BTW, I am also doing mini-updates on my tropicalweather.net facebook page. Happy sailing!

Our group of 15 is leaving from Galveston, Tx on Sunday. Should we be worried in the gulf?:(

I'll be on RC Explorer 9/10 heading to Bermuda out of NJ. I'm not too optimistic about this. Certainly won't be the 'ideal' cruise...but my fingers are crossed.

Our group of 15 is leaving from Galveston, Tx on Sunday. Should we be worried in the gulf?:(

Katia is not heading toward the Gulf. Another low is forecast to develop some in the central gulf and move toward the Florida coast toward Appalachicola (northeast Gulf) this weekend.

I'll be on RC Explorer 9/10 heading to Bermuda out of NJ. I'm not too optimistic about this. Certainly won't be the 'ideal' cruise...but my fingers are crossed.

Katia will be north of Bermuda by then. Right now a ballpark guess is that is will be near Bermuda around Wed / Thur.

We are leaving Port Canaveral on Monday (Sept 5) for a 5-day Bahamas cruise. Any thoughts on Katia disrupting this? Even though I know they can re-route us if needed - is it going to be super bumpy the whole time in the water? I just really want a relaxing cruise and not to be holding onto the wall the whole time and/or seasick! :)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

We are leaving Port Canaveral on Monday (Sept 5) for a 5-day Bahamas cruise. Any thoughts on Katia disrupting this? Even though I know they can re-route us if needed - is it going to be super bumpy the whole time in the water? I just really want a relaxing cruise and not to be holding onto the wall the whole time and/or seasick! :)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Don't see that happening at all. All 5 days in the Bahamas?

Yes indeed. We are headed to CocoCay first, then Nassau the 3rd day, then at sea for an entire day and then back to Port Canaveral. Just wanted to see if there was any need to worry :)

We are flying to St. Thomas tomorrow morning (by way of Dulles to Miami)--hoping Katia does not disrupt our flights or our short 3 days on the islands.