Cruise Critic Community
CoachTerry14

Hurricane Katia

Yes indeed. We are headed to CocoCay first, then Nassau the 3rd day, then at sea for an entire day and then back to Port Canaveral. Just wanted to see if there was any need to worry :)

No, have fun.

We are flying to St. Thomas tomorrow morning (by way of Dulles to Miami)--hoping Katia does not disrupt our flights or our short 3 days on the islands.

It's possible that some rain bands could make it to the northern Leewards late Saturday and Sunday. It really depends on how big Katia gets. The center of the hurricane will be well to the north.

Any thoughts on what Katia will do for those of us on transatlanic cruises over the next couple weeks?

Looks like over night she is veering a bit due west, does this pose a threat for Bahamas. We are sailing out of Charleston on Monday and getting a bit concerned.

Any thoughts on what Katia will do for those of us on transatlanic cruises over the next couple weeks?

Would that be leaving from NYC? Where will the ship be on what dates? Katia is prediced north of Bermuda late next week.

Looks like over night she is veering a bit due west, does this pose a threat for Bahamas. We are sailing out of Charleston on Monday and getting a bit concerned.

At this point just keep an eye on the track. None of the models for the past several days show that scenario. The Bahamas will get increased swell on the east facing beaches from Katia.

HI. I am leaving out of NY on 9/3. Scheduled for Grand Turk 9/6, HMC Bahamas 9/7, and Nassau Bahamas 9/8. How do we look as far as Katia? If we don't have itinerary changes, are we in for rough seas? Thanks for any input!

Hi

Leaving out of Baltimore this Saturday and supposed to be in Bermuda Monday and Tuesday (9/5 and 9/6). Likelihood that we'll have problems?

Thanks In Advance,

Ashley

HI. I am leaving out of NY on 9/3. Scheduled for Grand Turk 9/6, HMC Bahamas 9/7, and Nassau Bahamas 9/8. How do we look as far as Katia? If we don't have itinerary changes, are we in for rough seas? Thanks for any input!
I would think that the swell will pick up north of the Bahamas but it depends on how strong and large the wind field gets with Katia. It's still a little nebulous since Katia is being sheared some today. I would like to see what type of shape Katia is in after fighting wind shear for a few days.

Hi

Leaving out of Baltimore this Saturday and supposed to be in Bermuda Monday and Tuesday (9/5 and 9/6). Likelihood that we'll have problems?

Thanks In Advance,

Ashley

I assume that your ship will be at sea from Bermuda to Baltimore Wed / Thur? If so you may be able to out run most of the effects. The swell will be increasing. As I mentioned with another poster, Katia is fighting shear today and that will affect the track and how strong Katia will get.

Would that be leaving from NYC? Where will the ship be on what dates? Katia is prediced north of Bermuda late next week.

Harwich, England on Sept 3

Le Havre & Cherbourg, France Sept 4 & 5

Cork & Dublin, Ireland Sept 6 & 7

Reykjavik, Iceland Sept 9 & 10

St. John's, Newfoundland Sept 14

Boston, MA Sept 17

I was wondering the path of Katia once it is past the East Coast.

Edited by Grannycb

We are due to set sail from Ft.Lauderdale on 9/10 for the eastern caribbean....I'm worried that Katia will hit us here in NJ again, and I will not be able to fly out of Newark Airport that Saturday morning. Any thoughts on Katia heading my way? Word on the street (and of course the news likes to sensationalize it!) is that it will be a Cat 3 by next weekend up north.

Any info greatly appreciated as I'm FREAKING out!:(:eek:

I hope we are not seeing another case of forecast models doing poorly at the early stages of a tropical cyclone. For about four days now, the models have been persistent in showing a track north of the Leewards and near Bermuda.

That has changed today. The models are splitting south of Bermuda. Some take it west of Bermuda and offshore of the east coast as it moves northward. Other models now have it missing the upper trough and continuing westward. This would be a bad scenario since it would take Katia toward the east coast.

Remember don't panic but watch the model trends over the next few days. Long range forecasts can have big errors. Originally Irene was supposed to hit Florida and ended up in North Carolina. We don't know yet what will happen with katia's long range track. If I get a break I'll try to answer questions..... it looks very busy though the next several days. Happy sailing and be safe.

Edited by Host Terry

at201112_ensmodel.gif

Do not like that little squiggly that goes into NC:eek::eek::eek: been there before and hoping and praying no more storms!

So if we're supposed to be arrived in Bermuda bright and early Wednesday morning, what does that cone mean for us? It looks like the edge of it, if the current trajectory keeps up (yes, I know, a big if), will be right around Bermuda. What are the conditions likely to be in Bermuda if it gets sideswiped by the hurricane like that?

I hope stormpulse forecast models are wrong, it shows that on Wed Katia Category 3 is starting to take a pretty aggressive turn towards the W - WNW pointing towards the East Coast.

By the looks of the forecast models Bermuda should be OK if the models remain the same. I know it is to early to have an accurate prediction, I hope it stays at sea

I hope stormpulse forecast models are wrong, it shows that on Wed Katia Category 3 is starting to take a pretty aggressive turn towards the W - WNW pointing towards the East Coast.

By the looks of the forecast models Bermuda should be OK if the models remain the same. I know it is to early to have an accurate prediction, I hope it stays at sea

Here's hoping! If it does track towards the East Coast as now predicted, will Bermuda feel any effects at all?

Help!:eek:

I'm going to my hs reunion in Spring Lake, NJ on Thursday, Sept. 8. What's the best guess for me?

Who would have thought that we (coming from Florida) would be worrying about a hurricane in NJ?

After that, we're supposed to go to Asbury NJ to visit my son and grandkids. Asbury is in NW NJ. Then we were going to Atlantic City, arriving there on Sept. 11.

How worried should I be?

Here's hoping! If it does track towards the East Coast as now predicted, will Bermuda feel any effects at all?

As of now from the looks, no Bermuda will be fine but like I said earlier it is a little to early to say for sure. I think they will have a more final and accurate model by Monday.

Latest models are coming into line...west of Bermuda and a little east of the U.S. east coast.

:):):)

Edited by Host Terry