Sony A77 Unveiled

dileep

I ordered it with a Sigma 30mm f/2.8 after some exhaustive research. Any of you NEX owners should take a look at this lens. Almost the same performance of the Zeiss 24mm at 1/5 the price. I'll be posting a see-for-myself review of the 30mm as well.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Looking forward to seeing your review. I have a NEX5N with a FDA-EV1S more or less permanently attached

Looking forward to hearing what you think of the Sigma, Dave. I'd consider it - so far, I've satisfied my standard prime lust with a number of old manual lenses - I've got 3 28mms, a 35mm, a 40mm, and 4 50mms. They can do a stunning job, but having an autofocus capable version might be nice too.

Tommui - I'm pretty much the same - my 5N almost always has the EVF attached, especially when doing wildlife and bird shooting as a second body to my DSLR - with the 55-210mm eMount lens, the EVF makes it great.

- with the 55-210mm eMount lens, the EVF makes it great.

Justin,

Have you had a chance to look at the 18-200 Sony or Tamron? I am considering one as a one-size-fits-all solution for light travelling.

Dave

I haven't seen the Tamron version (or the new Sony-rebadged Tamron version coming soon), but did check out the Sony original 18-200. The lens performed very nicely, but in the end I just couldn't wrap my head around the size for the NEX. Admittedly if you intended to travel only with the NEX, then the 18-200 would be a fine solution for a nice overall reach without swapping lenses, but the fat barrel is what turned me off of it since I often carry my NEX with my DSLR as a second body, and it would just be a bit too big and chunky with the 18-200 onboard sitting next to my A580 with its 18-250!

The 55-210mm for me was the perfect fit - it's much thinner in circumference, and of course a lot cheaper, so swapping between the kit lens and the 55-210mm wasn't too big a deal for me, and the two lenses fit in a bag about as easily as the 18-200 does alone - saving the $400-500 meant I could splurge on 15-20 old manual lenses and adapters instead!

And the 55-210mm performance is pretty stellar - especially with an old friend attached. From my DSC-H5 days, I still had the old DH1758 1.7x teleextender sitting around my closet...the threading is 58mm, and the 55-210mm lens has a 49mm filter thread. So with a cheap 49-58mm step-up ring, I can stick the DH1758 on the end of my 55-210mm lens, and get 357mm optically in a small light package. And the optical quality is shockingly good with the 1.7x extender...check out some of these shot with the NEX-5N with 55-210mm and 1.7x TC:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

The 18-200mm has a much bigger threading and wouldn't work with the extenders - one more smal perk for me going with the 55-210mm lens. But that said, everything I've seen from the 18-200mm shows it to be of similar optical quality to the 55-210mm - and it would definitely have convenience on its side.

I haven't seen the Tamron version (or the new Sony-rebadged Tamron version coming soon), but did check out the Sony original 18-200. The lens performed very nicely, but in the end I just couldn't wrap my head around the size for the NEX. Admittedly if you intended to travel only with the NEX, then the 18-200 would be a fine solution for a nice overall reach without swapping lenses, but the fat barrel is what turned me off of it since I often carry my NEX with my DSLR as a second body, and it would just be a bit too big and chunky with the 18-200 onboard sitting next to my A580 with its 18-250!

The 55-210mm for me was the perfect fit - it's much thinner in circumference, and of course a lot cheaper, so swapping between the kit lens and the 55-210mm wasn't too big a deal for me, and the two lenses fit in a bag about as easily as the 18-200 does alone - saving the $400-500 meant I could splurge on 15-20 old manual lenses and adapters instead!

And the 55-210mm performance is pretty stellar - especially with an old friend attached. From my DSC-H5 days, I still had the old DH1758 1.7x teleextender sitting around my closet...the threading is 58mm, and the 55-210mm lens has a 49mm filter thread. So with a cheap 49-58mm step-up ring, I can stick the DH1758 on the end of my 55-210mm lens, and get 357mm optically in a small light package. And the optical quality is shockingly good with the 1.7x extender...check out some of these shot with the NEX-5N with 55-210mm and 1.7x TC:

The 18-200mm has a much bigger threading and wouldn't work with the extenders - one more smal perk for me going with the 55-210mm lens. But that said, everything I've seen from the 18-200mm shows it to be of similar optical quality to the 55-210mm - and it would definitely have convenience on its side.

Ok...Now I have to think.

I am keeping my Nex-5 and "travelling light" could encompass two tiny bodies with a slim 55-210, a 30mm and the money saved spent on a 19mm....

*sigh*

Thanks Justin!

Dave

Dave great write up on the Nex-7. In fact enjoyed all your web info. Now to inhance your Nex-7 you need NA-EA2 so you can use all your A-mount lenes.

Tom :cool:

Glad you enjoyed it.

I actually have the LAEA1 that I bought for my NEX-5. It doesn't do screw-mount autofocus but it works(ish) with SSM and SAM lenses and works fine for what I need it for...the Lensbaby! I may pick up the LAEA2 after I get a new ultra-wide for the A-mount.

Dave

Archived