What cruise line for South Pacific?

VirtualRain

What cruise lines do people recommend for a South Pacific cruise?

I would like something that starts and ends in the South Pacific islands... not Australia, New Zealand, or Hawaii.

The only one I've found so far is Princess.

Any others I should consider?

Thanks! :)

....I would like something that starts and ends in the South Pacific islands... not Australia, New Zealand, or Hawaii....

For those of us who prefer cruising to flying, Holland America Line.

Does Holland America have round trip itineraries starting and ending in the South Pacific? If so, I'll have to look into them in the future. If they offer one of those itineraries which takes 5 days just to get there, I'll stick with flying in as my vacation time is finite (I'm not retired yet).

does holland america have round trip itineraries starting and ending in the south pacific? If so, i'll have to look into them in the future. If they offer one of those itineraries which takes 5 days just to get there, i'll stick with flying in as my vacation time is finite (i'm not retired yet).

no!

What cruise lines do people recommend for a South Pacific cruise?

I would like something that starts and ends in the South Pacific islands... not Australia, New Zealand, or Hawaii.

The only one I've found so far is Princess.

Any others I should consider?

Thanks! :)

Only two are Princess and Paul Gauguin

I'd always recommend expedition cruise ships, equipped with zodiac inflatable landing craft, for a real South Pacific experience. These have around 120 passengers and very little in the way of entertainment and they are way more expensive than the big ships which can only access deepwater places. Sadly, the choice is fairly limited - especially now that the Clipper Odyssey has left Pacific waters - but there is an outfit called Hapag-Lloyd which has a ship called Hanseatic that is doing a genuine South Pacific cruise this year, from Tahiti to Fiji via some very out-of-the-way places.

Does Holland America have round trip itineraries starting and ending in the South Pacific? If so, I'll have to look into them in the future. If they offer one of those itineraries which takes 5 days just to get there, I'll stick with flying in as my vacation time is finite (I'm not retired yet).

I know nothing about HAL, but Princess has one that does a r/t LA to Hawaii (4 ports)-Samoa (2 ports)-French Polynesia (3 ports in 4 days)-LA .............. 28 wonderful days!! I will be boarding the Sapphire Princess next month for this exciting itinerary. And they are offering it again in 2012. No current info beyond 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

In my mind there is only ONE choice - Paul Gauguin all the way. A couple of times a year they do have the Papeete to Fiji trip and vice versa. I did it a few years ago and enjoyed it. However my preferred option is the 10 day Tuamotu cruise as you see a whole lot of islands.

Those of us who have done the cruise with Princess were VERY happy with it, and some of us are fortunate enough to have done it more than once.

So, IMO, one considering doing a cruise there should not rule out Princess as an option.

Hapag-Lloyd is run by a German company and the language on board is German. They appear to offer a Tahiti to Fiji trip as a one time sailing.

Having been on the Paul Gauguin, and scheduled again for this January, I would recommend it highly. High end, small number of passengers, all inclusive with great 7, 11 and 14 night trips.

We have done the Aranui back in '03 on their newest ship, Aranui 111, and it was a wonderful, adventurous and exciting cruise!

Also, Oceania's Regatta is sailing an 18 day cruise on January 17-Feb. 5, 2012. Oceania's Marina (new shiop this year) is doing an 18 day cruise, Feb. 7-26, 2013 from Papeete to Auckland! We just booked, and other than the ports of embarking and disembarking, there are wonderful island ports...in my opinion! The ports do vary slightly in each of these cruises!

We are looking forward to an 11 day cruise of Tahiti to Tahiti on Oceania Regatta this Jan. Had to start on standby, as first year Oceania doing the area and we are among their loyal customers that wanted to do SP with them. They just opened up 2013 and are using one of their bigger ships then-- 1260 or so vs. 650 on Regatta.

We have done the Aranui back in '03 on their newest ship, Aranui 111, and it was a wonderful, adventurous and exciting cruise!....

Not too many people on Cruise Critic seem to have done this. I'd love to hear any other thoughts on the Aranui that you might be willing to share.

By the way, are you sure that your cruise was in 2003 and not 2002?;)

Not too many people on Cruise Critic seem to have done this. I'd love to hear any other thoughts on the Aranui that you might be willing to share.

Friscorays, there is quite a lot on the Aranui on Cruise Critic. Look for Special Interest on the Forums home page, then Freighter Travel and you will find several pages on the Aranui.

• 2 weeks later...

This is their area no one can compete we did this 10 years ago for our 30th anniversay and are doing the Fiji one next year for our 40th and my 60th birthday. You can not compare their style ship with the others. They are going in for refurbishment in Jan. and it will be a fresh look.

• 1 month later...
Oceania has two 11 night sailings Papeete/Papeete in January2013 on the Marina. She returns for the same 11 night sailing on April 7,2013. We booked this cruise yesterday. Great value!!!!!!

look at Marina too,,,good to get lots of options,,

Anyone know this,,,is water generally rough or smooth in this area??I m VERY sensitive to seasickness,,but hoping not known for ROUGH seas???;)

The French Polynesia is an itinerary that I have always wanted to do even though I had never cruised before until earlier this year. We cruised on Oceania's Marina and just loved it! We checked out both PG and Princess but in the end we booked for Jan 2013 on Oceania Marina. So make sure you look at Oceania as an option, it truly is a wonderful ship.

Happy Travels,

Tropiclady

The French Polynesia is an itinerary that I have always wanted to do even though I had never cruised before until earlier this year. We cruised on Oceania's Marina and just loved it! We checked out both PG and Princess but in the end we booked for Jan 2013 on Oceania Marina. So make sure you look at Oceania as an option, it truly is a wonderful ship.

Happy Travels,

Tropiclady

Plus,,on internet found great deals,,love Oceania having been to S.America on one,,but never knew they went to FP ...put question re this on their CC posts,,but no one has answered re the Marina,,maybe too new of ship and cruise...Now ,,just have to convince the DH...have a great cruise and will TRY to join you,,hahaha...Looked at Paul Gauguin cruises,,and so far Marina seems less expensive and longer...;)

Archived