Is a suit coat necessary on formal nights?

Nascar girl

Nascar girl I hope you're a Jeff Gordon fan.....LOVED seeing him beat Jimmy J today!!!:)

This answer is coming from a man so I guess it should be taken with a grain of salt but frankly, the only person I care about pleasing in this kind of situation is my wife!!:D If she wants a tux...well then I'd be wearing a tux but fortunately she realizes that our cruise is a VACATION and therefore the word "formal" should not be in that week's vocabulary!!:eek:

I doubt seriously if your hubby is wearing slacks and a shirt & tie if any of the Princess staff will say a word. As long as what he's wearing pleases you....who cares what others think. You might also notice that many who act as if not wearing a jacket is breaking one of the 10 commandments are also the ones bragging about sneaking on various kinds of liquor.;) Apparently one person's rule is another person's suggestion.

Have a wonderful cruise.....I KNOW we're going to!!!

Yes, a suit jacket is neccessary if you wish to be dressed appropriately of the occaision. If you do not mind being underdressed and you would not die of embarassment if you were turned away from the dining room, then you can probably get away with not wearing one. Personally, I like to dress to impress, and I prefer positive attention to negative. Other people have different priorities (such as comfort).

That being said, I have dined with those who were underdressed and they were still perfectly wonderful dining companions. I do feel as though they felt awkward, though, because they made it a point to joke about their attire. The good thing about following the dress code is that fewer people feel uncomfortable and everyone looks nice.

Here is a hint. If your DH doesn't want to stand out in the crowd by not wearing a jacket I suggest he wears a dark shirt maybe even black with black pants. I have noticed quite a few men pulling this off. A white shirt and no jacket will stand out like a sore thumb.

:cool:

This question it directed at those people who feel a coat is required on formal night. To be clear, I also believe that a coat is required – even if you take it off at the table.

In November, I am going to be married at sea by the Captain (on the Crown). That is likely to be one of the formal nights since we are at sea. I want to have the wedding dinner in the dining room (traditional dining) and have everyone wear their wedding attire. The women will be fine – the dresses are long, but the men are a bit less formal. They will have patent white leather shoes, white trousers and a white Hawaiian shirt with a parrot motif at the bottom (below is a link to the shirt if you want to see it). Normally I would agree that this is not appropriate since there is no jacket or tie. Since all the men will be dressed the same and we are part of a wedding party, I think it may be acceptable. I would love to hear some opinions from other people.

http://www.hawaiianshirtstore.com/bepahashm1.html

This question it directed at those people who feel a coat is required on formal night. To be clear, I also believe that a coat is required – even if you take it off at the table.

In November, I am going to be married at sea by the Captain (on the Crown). That is likely to be one of the formal nights since we are at sea. I want to have the wedding dinner in the dining room (traditional dining) and have everyone wear their wedding attire. The women will be fine – the dresses are long, but the men are a bit less formal. They will have patent white leather shoes, white trousers and a white Hawaiian shirt with a parrot motif at the bottom (below is a link to the shirt if you want to see it). Normally I would agree that this is not appropriate since there is no jacket or tie. Since all the men will be dressed the same and we are part of a wedding party, I think it may be acceptable. I would love to hear some opinions from other people.

Screams 'used car salesman'. Sorry.

Why not? The shirt cost more than my cruise suit.

Here is a hint. If your DH doesn't want to stand out in the crowd by not wearing a jacket I suggest he wears a dark shirt maybe even black with black pants. I have noticed quite a few men pulling this off. A white shirt and no jacket will stand out like a sore thumb.

I thought the same thing about the color of the shirt & choose my long sleeve blue dress shirt especially for cruising. (and I haven't worn a long sleeve shirt in 30 years). It gives the appearance of a jacket without the extra weight or bulk & suffices to get me in the dining room even without a tie and the sleeves can be rolled up when eating for additional comfort although lately they've even been allowing short sleeves into the DR without a question.

I think this sums up the answer to the OPs question. She was asking if the jacket is necessary from a Princess point of view, not how stringently some passengers want to impose their own preferences. She can now make up her own mind based on the above, very objective observation. Thanks mnbruce

:) I just thought it was a simple question that deserved a simple answer.

A jacket placed on the back of a chair at a dining room table is adding insult to injury. Far better to have left it in the cabin.

As to your wedding party I believe that the occasion takes precedence and the fact that members are dressed in a uniform manner creates a festive atmosphere that will add to the evenings dining pleasure. Go for it.

Do not worry, I am not insulted ing by any of the comments. I wanted the good, bad and ugly

This is what my Fiance hwants to wear and we are both happy with it. As a full outfit, it is not too bad. I agree, alone it is a bit questionable, but he loves hawaiian shirts. This shirt is much better than most of them he wears :-)

I am in a traditional wedding dress!!

A jacket placed on the back of a chair at a dining room table is adding insult to injury. Far better to have left it in the cabin.

As to your wedding party I believe that the occasion takes precedence and the fact that members are dressed in a uniform manner creates a festive atmosphere that will add to the evenings dining pleasure. Go for it.

That is the exact reason why the guys that are coerced in wearing one hang it there but once seated in the dining room not much can be said about the matter. It would be better that they just dressed casually but neatly in the first place.

Really? I admit to knowing very little on this subject - is it consiered bad to remove your tux jacket on arriving at the table? I'd be worried about dipping the sleaves in food and spilling stuff on it personally! (Not to mention I tend to find the MDR's very warm - I'm from England and now Seattle so anything over 68f is hot to me!)

I'd appreciate any comments on this subject?

Why is that? In plenty of formal occasions, it is fine to remove your jacket as long as the host or guest of honor allows it. This is usually signified by the host realizing how uncomfortable his guests might be (because of room temperature) and then signaling his acceptance by removing his own jacket. Since this is difficult to signal in a cruise setting, one might conclude that Princess would like passengers to be comfortable while enjoying their meal and if they feel too hot with the jacket on, they may remove it as long as it does not offend tablemates. Of course, if you were so fortunate to dine with an officer, you would want to keep your jacket on until the officer's is removed.

A gracious guest abides by the standards set forth by the host. A gracious host gives leeway for guests to be comfortable. Wearing a jacket to dinner and removing it if absolutely necessary for you to not be miserable would be a perfect example of both sides.

Really? I admit to knowing very little on this subject - is it consiered bad to remove your tux jacket on arriving at the table? I'd be worried about dipping the sleaves in food and spilling stuff on it personally! (Not to mention I tend to find the MDR's very warm - I'm from England and now Seattle so anything over 68f is hot to me!)

I'd appreciate any comments on this subject?

In most settings, you leave your jacket on until the host or guest of honor (like the groom) removes his jacket. This signifies to other men that it is acceptable to remove their jacket as well.

In a cruise setting, it isn't as cut and dry as there is not really one passenger who can let others know it's ok. As a result, my personal opinion is that it is fine if one must remove their jacket to have a pleasant meal. Others might argue that the Maitre d' and Head Waiters leave their jacket on, passengers should as well. However, I think Princess would be a gracious host and allow you to be comfortable, especially since not many people pay attention to the outfits of seated guests. It is when you are up and walking around that you are most noticeable.

Archived