Year of the Shark

cruiserguy11

I was watching Good Morning America this morning. They had a girl on the show who was attacked by a shark and had her leg bitten.

They headlined the segment as "Year of the Shark." They interviewed the girl and she told her story. Her story was what it was all about but what got my attention was a statistic the interviewer recited.

"Since May 2011, there have been 46 shark attacks and 9 deaths." I "assume" that was world wide but they didn't say.

Gulp.

The attack the girl was talking about was in Puerto Rico. I think I'll risk a coconut falling on my head instead.

It is the year of the shark all right. 100 million sharks are killed each year by humans -- roughly 11,000 sharks every hour, around the clock.

Here are some statistics:

Cause of Death

Lifetime Odds

Heart Disease

1-in-5

Cancer

1-in-7

Stroke

1-in-23

Accidental Injury

1-in-36

Motor Vehicle Accident*

1-in-100

Intentional Self-harm (suicide)

1-in-121

Falling Down

1-in-246

Assault by Firearm

1-in-325

Fire or Smoke

1-in-1,116

Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.)

1-in-3,357

Electrocution*

1-in-5,000

Drowning

1-in-8,942

Air Travel Accident*

1-in-20,000

Flood* (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-30,000

Legal Execution

1-in-58,618

Tornado* (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-60,000

Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-83,930

Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting*

1-in-100,000

Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-131,890

Dog Attack

1-in-147,717

Asteroid Impact*

1-in-200,000**

Tsunami*

1-in-500,000

Fireworks Discharge

1-in-615,488

Shark attack 1 in 264,000,000

Even considering only people who go to beaches, a person's chance of getting attacked by a shark is 1 in 11.5 million.

In 2000, the year with the most recorded shark attacks, there were 79 shark attacks reported worldwide, 11 of them fatal. In the United States, the annual number of people who drown is 3,306, whereas the annual number of shark fatalities is 1.

In 1998, toasters caused 2200 home fires, 20 deaths and 90 injuries.

To date in the United States this year (2011), there have been 20 fatalities from lightning strikes.

Fear can be a healthy thing but it is also good to keep things in perspective. In reality, you are more likely to be injured by a falling coconut than a shark.....

It is the year of the shark all right. 100 million sharks are killed each year by humans -- roughly 11,000 sharks every hour, around the clock.

Here are some statistics:

Cause of Death

Lifetime Odds

Heart Disease

1-in-5

Cancer

1-in-7

Stroke

1-in-23

Accidental Injury

1-in-36

Motor Vehicle Accident*

1-in-100

Intentional Self-harm (suicide)

1-in-121

Falling Down

1-in-246

Assault by Firearm

1-in-325

Fire or Smoke

1-in-1,116

Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.)

1-in-3,357

Electrocution*

1-in-5,000

Drowning

1-in-8,942

Air Travel Accident*

1-in-20,000

Flood* (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-30,000

Legal Execution

1-in-58,618

Tornado* (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-60,000

Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-83,930

Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting*

1-in-100,000

Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above)

1-in-131,890

Dog Attack

1-in-147,717

Asteroid Impact*

1-in-200,000**

Tsunami*

1-in-500,000

Fireworks Discharge

1-in-615,488

Shark attack 1 in 264,000,000

Even considering only people who go to beaches, a person's chance of getting attacked by a shark is 1 in 11.5 million.

In 2000, the year with the most recorded shark attacks, there were 79 shark attacks reported worldwide, 11 of them fatal. In the United States, the annual number of people who drown is 3,306, whereas the annual number of shark fatalities is 1.

In 1998, toasters caused 2200 home fires, 20 deaths and 90 injuries.

To date in the United States this year (2011), there have been 20 fatalities from lightning strikes.

Fear can be a healthy thing but it is also good to keep things in perspective. In reality, you are more likely to be injured by a falling coconut than a shark.....

Alex Mason (my first scuba Instructor in Hawaii) always started off class with the falling coconut statistic.

I have had long time divers also tell me JAWS (1976) was good to slow down the influx of new divers when it came out.

I have had a Black Tip shark swim up to me (3' away) he was about 5' long, he just stared me in the eye, shook his head, and swam away.

I enjoy diving so much, I will take my chances, and keep enjoying one of my favorite hobies. :D

BTW- Great post on all the statistics, FWIW- I am an career Electrican, and so am more apt to be injured by electricity than by a shark. :eek:

In February, I did 18 dives in French Polynesia and had sharks on at least half of them (black tip, lemon, and hammerhead). Had no problems at all.

Here's a lemon in Bora Bora, and, no, I was not using a zoom lens. :D

bora7a.jpg

I could have done without this. Now I'll have nightmares. The one thing I'm afraid of running into. But, if I ever did run into a shark, I would be the statistic that is :

Heart Disease (or heart attack in this case)

1-in-5

Then would come the next statistic:

Drowning (from having the heart attack in the first place)

1-in-8,942

So I could basically kill 2 birds with one stone (or in this case 1 shark) :eek:

I could have done without this. Now I'll have nightmares. The one thing I'm afraid of running into. But, if I ever did run into a shark, I would be the statistic that is :

1-in-5

1-in-8,942

So I could basically kill 2 birds with one stone (or in this case 1 shark) :eek:

I agree 1000%!!!!!

I'll see your Lemon, and raise you one (also seen diving at Bora Bora back in September 2008) plus a dozen or so black tips while snorkeling in Rangiroa during the same trip. Wonder if your lemon might reasonably be one of the ones in my pic....

When we were at Moorea there was a whole bunch of the black tips around us, which was really cool! The funny thing with my photo is that I had been watching this shark and everytime it came near me, it would veer off when it was about 5 feet away. So, I decided to get a closeup and stood my ground, got the shot and.....it didn't veer away! I was scrambling backwards to get out of the way--not because I was scared of being attacked, but because I didn't want to get bumped by a 12-foot-long shark. My dive buddy was laughing his head off, but hey, I got the shot I wanted! :D

1-in-5

1-in-8,942

You'll be perfectly safe. The lemons, like the one in my photo, feed at night at about 200 feet in depth. They won't bother you in the daytime.

You'll be perfectly safe. The lemons, like the one in my photo, feed at night at about 200 feet in depth. They won't bother you in the daytime.

Lemons, black tip, hammerhead, Jaws....whatever the name, they are still a shark to me and I would freak out. :p

When we were at Moorea there was a whole bunch of the black tips around us, which was really cool! The funny thing with my photo is that I had been watching this shark and everytime it came near me, it would veer off when it was about 5 feet away. So, I decided to get a closeup and stood my ground, got the shot and.....it didn't veer away! I was scrambling backwards to get out of the way--not because I was scared of being attacked, but because I didn't want to get bumped by a 12-foot-long shark. My dive buddy was laughing his head off, but hey, I got the shot I wanted! :D

It is a great picture. I'll be back in December with some improved diving skills and a new camera so hopefully I'll come back with a better shot than I managed previously (which was taken during my first "real" open water dive so it is miraculous that I even found the shutter button).

I really want to go back, too! Of all the islands, I loved diving at Bora Bora the most.

I now have a strobe for my camera and am learning to use it. The biggest problem is getting used to the extra weight and having to use two hands to photograph (one to hold and one to push the button). But, I've gotten some good photos with it, especially the macros.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course, statistics do not necessarily apply to those who are willfully ignorant. One example would be this gentleman / shark attack victim who decided he would like to take a swim on a beach which had been closed due to a great white sighting off of the shore.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44703849/ns/world_news-africa/

Of course, statistics do not necessarily apply to those who are willfully ignorant. One example would be this gentleman / shark attack victim who decided he would like to take a swim on a beach which had been closed due to a great white sighting off of the shore.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44703849/ns/world_news-africa/

It is difficult to feel a lot of sympathy for the guy but, still, I would not wish that on anyone. Apparently, when he was warned he said " I am still going in and if I am attacked, don't blame the shark, blame me!"

I think these words will haunt him now...

PS: just reading this thread and looking at the pics gives me the heebie jeebies and I am keen to snorkel...

It is a great picture. I'll be back in December with some improved diving skills and a new camera so hopefully I'll come back with a better shot than I managed previously (which was taken during my first "real" open water dive so it is miraculous that I even found the shutter button).

Glad that didnt happen in my first open water dive!!! I am hoping to get certified soon so I have one Discover Scuba under my belt and one planned over Thanksgiving. I am hoping to do a Tahiti/Bora Bora cruise for a honeymoon trip. Hopefully I do not run into any of these guys!

We are going on our 1st cruise (heading to the bahamas) and one of the shore excursions I really would like to do is snorkel-the excursion states that the second part (if weather and fellow passengers wish) we could go with sharks.

I would really love to do this, as I am fascinated by sharks, and would love to see them in their natural environment. Has anyone ever done this in the bahamas ?

BTW Laurie.. that photo is amazing.. thanks for sharing

Had two shark run ins In 1965 and 1966. one was in Calif off Santa Cruz was diving and something bump my tank. At first though that it was one of my Dive buddies, turn around and found myself looking into a large tunnel with large teeth lining. A Great White about 20 ft long. It just rested there looking at me and then turn and took off. The flip of it's tail sent me tumbling. No not know how long before I took a breath of air. They said I was turning blue.

The second was in the Gulf of Calif. Mexico A year later. Was looking for a Whale shark and the next thing I notice all the fish were gone. Found myself in the middle of a large school of Hammer heads of all sizes from small 2 ft. to giants over 20 ft. The dive Master who was about 40 ft below me said that there must have been around 150 of them. The felling of looking at a eye, a few feet away looking at you. The water felt like it turn to Ice. Just swim along until they pass by went back to the boat and drink down a bottle of booze. Did not say a word until I finish off that bottle and the Dive Master me how did feel like. Won't print what Itold him.

Paul

Archived