alleyshea

Would Sail MSC Again!!

My husband and I were on the 3/19 sailing of the Opera and we really had a great time. It was my 3rd Cruise, his second, and while it was not quite as good as my Princess Cruise in 2001, it was SO much better than our NCL cruise in 2003. We would definitely cruise with MSC again, especially if the prices stay so low.

Pros

- The cabin, although small, was extremely efficient.

- The liquor / wine prices were fantastic. The wine package was great. We could order whichever wine (from the approved list of course) we wanted each night. In fact, I think we ordered the same bottle of red 3 or 4 nights out of the 7. Our bill at the end of the trip was 1/4 of what our bill was at the end of the NCL cruise.

- There are alot of nice, small, cozy, bar/lounge areas. Most of them have some sort of live entertainment before and after dinner. We aren't the type to go to the "shows", but we really enjoyed the piano lounge, skits in the caruso lounge, etc.

- The Pizza is excellent

- Cabin stewards are top notch.

- We loved all of our tablemates!

Cons

- The library was a little dissappointing. It was tiny with no real ambience.

- The service at breakfast and lunch was very unpredictable. Sometimes it was excellent, sometimes we had to hunt people down for more water.

- The salad on the buffet salad bar was iceburg sitting in a pool of water.

- The port times were not as they were advertised when we booked, or when we received our information.

Sort of "In Between"

- Food at dinner was mostly all quite good. Every once in awhile something would dissappoint. For example, I would have preferred a lobster tail instead of lobster thermadour (sp?) on lobster night. We didn't like the Shrimp bisque very much, but the Crab Bisque was quite good. The pastas were fantastic! Everyone of them al dente and the sauces were wonderful. The salads were dissappointing. My husband ordered the spinach salad the first night and it was wilted, most of the lettuce used was romaine or iceburg. We found the fish dishes to be excellent and the steaks and lamb very good.

- Our waiter at dinner was a little odd. He was very timely, got the orders correct, and was very quick with getting us anything extra or special we wanted, but no matter how much we tried to joke around with him or at least start some sort of rapport, it just didn't happen. This may have been due to a language barrier, it was hard to tell.

- We would have liked more movies to be shown during the day (especially during the days at sea) in the theatre. Some days there were none at all shown. However, we were usually able to catch a decent one in the room. There was a schedule of them at the front desk which made it handy for us.

- The gym was nice and had a fantastic view. I would have put it in the "Pro" category if it had an elliptical trainer or two.

- The sauna and steam room were nice. However, the locker/shower rooms are not connected to the sauna and steam rooms, which was not an ideal layout.

Well, If there was anything I missed that anyone would like to hear about, I will check back here and try to answer your questions in the next couple of days!

I was on the March 5th sailing, and I thought your comment about the waiter was quite funny. It was totally the language barrier. With past waiters always aiming to please, jovial, and on the ball, it was difficult to accept we weren't going to have the jokes as before. I recall making a comment about the food being "great," with his reply "you are great." It was the Italian experience I expected.

Nice review, by the way.

Thanks!

I just remembered there was one thing I wanted to make sure to add. Dinner the first night is not an indication of what dinner will be like the rest of the nights. The food is just as good the first night, but the atmosphere left alot to be desired. The lights in the dining room were on way too bright and it was very hectic. After dinner I kept asking my husband if her thought we should try to change tables. He said we should give it another try because we liked our tablemates so much. Thank God we did, because the next night (and the rest of the nights) were so much better. So, if you find this to be the case the first night, just hang in there and it should get much better!

Thanks for posting. I'm glad to see some positive reviews of the Opera. I just booked her for next January and was a little worried about all the negative reviews I was seeing.

Terri

Hi, My husband and I just returned from the Lirica Panama Canal Cruise and all I can say Fantastic!!! This was our 11th cruise, including the QEll, and the most enjoyable.

As far as we are concerned any MSC cruise is for us.

Ortrud