Taxi advice for young adults

Walt fan

Scenario my fellow CC posters: My oldest DS will soon be 21, as most of his friends. Eight of the them, including my son, have decided they are old to enough to cruise by themselves and will be going Spring Break 2012. Six will be 21; two will be 20; five guys, three girls. Of course, they want the cheapest things to do at port stops, with the beach being a high priority. When we have cruised in the past as a family, we always "haggle" and get a firm price up front when getting a taxi. Does anyone have any suggestions for this group of young people on getting a taxi in Cozumel to PB; or getting a taxi in Roatan to the beach, without getting taken advantage of? I have of course told my DS to be firm, they will have to get two taxi's and make sure they get a price. But I am still concerned as a mom, and would like your advice. I have read on the boards they can catch a bus in Costa Maya to Mahuahal (Sp?). Wish they could do that elsewhere. Your help please.

In Cozumel, you don't haggle the taxi price as it will be fixed. Each port displays the price to attractions. Below is the taxi prices from Puerta Maya pier (Carnival uses this port).

http://www.puertamaya.com/port-information/taxi-rate-information.aspx

Not too sure about Roatan but have heard that taxi prices are high.

In Costa Maya, they do have fixed price buses outside the port along with taxis. i usually will take a taxi/bus for $3 or $4 pp to Mahahual.

Would not recommend them renting vehicles or scooters in Cozumel as you hear horror stories about crashes.

Thank you very much; at least Cozumel and Costa Maya will be good; will need to dwell on Roatan

Your are welcome. Have never used Taxis in Roatan instead opting for a ship excursion.

Below is a link that explains the taxi's in Roatan

http://www.roatanisland.net/tourist_tips.htm

http://www.roatanisland.net/cruiseship.htm

$20 pp one way? Holy cow; that is too steep for this group; the links you sent "thescot123" show a mini bus system where you pay in Honduras currency and explains how to get the currency; it also goes to West End; this is definitely option to explore and I really appreciate the links!

Archived