Cruise Critic Community
ginger and professor

Should HAL prohibit power scooters?

Do you have any stats on how many passengers are injured on HAL by scooters?

Do to the many passengers who have suffered injuries due to careless operation of the scooters.

Then they should prohibit careless scotter operators ;)

Seriously, I doubt very much their lawyers would advise them to prohibit scooters. It could be considered discriminatory to handicapped passengers.

Edited by taxmantoo

That manytimes I have seen the owners of these scooters give them to small children like 5 to7 to let them drive around the in the public spaces slamming into everyone and everything with out a care of their owners watch and aplaud or thing its cute....it isnt.

I dont begrudge anyone from having a scooter that truly needs one but it now appears that there are a lot of folks now who are using them on the" like to have" rather than the" need to have" scooters aboard...

I see it to at amusement parks and gatherings where totaly healthy folks rent them because if the ease then can get around and are just plain lazy.

Too bad the staff dosent take a more firm hand in controlling then rampages of many little darlings when their parents fail to.

Do to the many passengers who have suffered injuries due to careless operation of the scooters.

There are many individuals who rely on motorized scooters and wheel chairs to retain their independence. My DSIL would not have been able to take her final cruise on HAL while in the final stages of her fight against breast cancer without the use of a motorized scooter and wheel chair. Those devices enabled her to retain her mobility and dignity.

I would love to hear your facts and figures regarding the 'many' passengers who have suffered injuries due to the careless operations of scooters.

That manytimes I have seen the owners of these scooters give them to small children like 5 to7 to let them drive around the in the public spaces slamming into everyone and everything with out a care of their owners watch and aplaud or thing its cute....it isnt.

I dont begrudge anyone from having a scooter that truly needs one but it now appears that there are a lot of folks now who are using them on the" like to have" rather than the" need to have" scooters aboard...

I see it to at amusement parks and gatherings where totaly healthy folks rent them because if the ease then can get around and are just plain lazy.

Too bad the staff dosent take a more firm hand in controlling then rampages of many little darlings when their parents fail to.

Where? When? I don't recall ever seeing a child driving a power scooter on a cruise ship. I've seen kids stopped from playing with scooters in stores, but have rarely seen kids driving them anywhere. Also there are children and teens who have and need power wheelchairs or scooters.

As to "healthy" users, how do you know this? Scooters are also used by people who are not supposed to walk far due to various health conditions.

By asking the Cruise Lines to prohibit mobility scooters and or electric wheelchairs on board, in essense you are asking the Cruise Lines to prohibit any one with a disability that requires the use of such a mobility device ( such as myself) from cruising. Think the correct word for this is "descrimination".

To prohibit such a mobility device on a cruise ship is a direct violation of :

• one's civil rights
  • the American's with Disabilities Act
  • and the many other laws both intentionally and in that USA that apply to the "Conveyance and Transportation of the Disabled on Cruise Ships and Airline Carriers."

That's probably one Class Action Law suit that the Cruise Line Industry would like to avoid.

The accidents that I have seen on board have been more a direct result of able bodied passengers purposely jumping in front of the scooter/wheelchairs to get to the head of the line faster. off/on the ship faster or get into the elevator. The user of the scooter did not intentionally cause these accidents. Most of us who depend on these devices for are daily living are well trained to safely use the equipment.

Having been abled body for 50 years before the affects of MS took over my body I hope none of you ever find yourself in a position of needing to use a mobility scooter only to have someone tell you you should be prohibited from places. I'm very thankful to be living in such a time that these items are available so that I can continue doing the things I love !

Edited by xxoocruiser

Scooters are for streets, not ships.

For shopping, not sailing.

Wheelchairs are fine, pushers are available.

JMO

The cruise line does not provide pushers other than embarkation and disembarkation.

As the nation with the biggest obesity problem in the world, you'll never see HAL ban scooters on their ships and, it's only going to get worse.

Years ago, I had a very belligerent scooter rider come up behind me and almost run me down. I didn't see or hear her coming. She felt like she owned the road.

Two years ago, (I am not obese) I started using a scooter for cruising because of some medical issues. I am very careful to drive slowly and am respectful of everyone.

I too would like to see statistics about scooter injuries.

Scooters are for streets, not ships.

For shopping, not sailing.

Wheelchairs are fine, pushers are available.

JMO

There are no pushers. Someone in a scooter does not necessarily need a wheel chair and they are much harder to manoeuver.

I've never had an issue with scooters on the ship. Most people are considerate.

People that need them should be able to use them (and no, I don't use a scooter (thank heavens) ;) Be grateful you don't need one too.

People that do have every right IMO :)

These are accessibility requirements.

If the Scooters were baned that could be a violation of ADA

American with Disability Requirements.

There people that need scooters to get around.

There needs to be statistics on how many injuries there are by scooters and why?

The Why the injuries need to be addressed. Not Ban the scooters. If somebody is getting hurt in the elevator maybe an ADA elevator to prevent the injury.

As the nation with the biggest obesity problem in the world, you'll never see HAL ban scooters on their ships and, it's only going to get worse.

Why would you link obesity with the need to use a scooter? That's a pretty strong assumption on your part about many people who are unable to get around on their own.

I've never experienced a problem with "scooters" on a cruise or even at Disneyland/Disneyworld where there seem to be an abundance of rental scooters. I did however one bump a guest with the stroller I was pushing; would that suggest that strollers should be banned from cruise ships next?

Why would you link obesity with the need to use a scooter? That's a pretty strong assumption on your part about many people who are unable to get around on their own.

Maybe because we see so many obese people using scooters?

Definitely scooters should NOT be banned.

One of these days I may be using one myself -- and that day could just be around the corner.

Wheelchair -- I no longer have the strength to turn the wheels -- and DH can't be with me all the time to push me. Motorized wheel chair -- I think not.

Before I needed a scooter due to my post polio syndrome, I used a cane. I cannot tell you how many times I've had my cane kicked out from me. I also have been run over by more stroller pushers than I can count.

To the person who said use wheelchairs, you are so wrong. First of all, what would a solo cruiser do? Many disabled persons travel solo. So I ask you, would you be willing to pay the hourly rate for my "pusher"? I thought not.

OP have you been injured by a scooter? If not, then why the concern? I will admit there are some careless scooter persons, like there are careless drinkers, parents and able bodied persons. But I will tell you, from my experience, the worst scooter users are not usually those of us who are full timers. The ones who seem to be the most careless and rude are those who only rent scooters for cruises, and who don't usually need them.

No, they shouldn't be banned.

An inconsiderate person will be inconsiderate regardless of whether they walk or use a scooter.

My husband has rented a scooter for our next cruise. He did it to save me from having to push him everywhere. We probably couldn't go if he couldn't use something. There are rude people everywhere but its impossible to ban them.

Have you ever considered that a disabled person could become obese through no fault of their own because of their lack of mobility?

That's a very careless statement. Those who are full time scooter users usually can't walk or exercise and therefore gain weight. I cannot move my legs, so exercise is impossible. I challenge you to not gain weight when you're forced to remain stationary. Also, there are medications, such as the ones I MUST take, that cause weight gain, no matter what you do. If you're thin, you should thank your lucky stars. Not all fully disabled are so fortunate.

Scooters and other devices that are used by passengers to move around the ship should not be banned. I'm guessing that there is only a very small minority that do not know how to drive them safely or considerately.

I'm just curious, but is there a drinking and driving rule/law regarding scooters and other motorized devices? Maybe some of the people that appear rude or careless are just slightly intoxicated. I would think that with so many people walking around a ship that you should not be allowed to drink and drive.

Just my opinion.

Of course not, but a bit of consideration shown amongst scooter drivers, stroller pushers and able-bodied walking folks would go a long way to making it easier for everybody.

These are accessibility requirements.

If the Scooters were baned that could be a violation of ADA

American with Disability Requirements.

There people that need scooters to get around.

If somebody is getting hurt in the elevator maybe an ADA elevator to prevent the injury.

I think scooters are fine (I was wondering when they'll allow us to use Sedgeways on board.) Unfortunately some of the people using them are not as thoughtful as they need to be. I just read a post or review talking about the guy who rolled over someones foot in an elevator and never even acknowledged the fact, much less apologized while other in the lift pushed his scooter off the guy.

I believe that anyone that can, should. I am in favor of folks who need them using their motorized devices to smooth the way for them. I am not in favor of making extra special accomodations that make those who are not in need of those devices left standing by holding the door (so to speak). Case in point, why would there be a special check in line for faster boarding simply because one rides a scooter. I'm not sure this is happening at embarcation but I have seen it at amusement parks. We should all be in the same line becareful how you manuver that thing cause that is your responsibility.

A few points on the above:

1. When you are on board the ship you are no longer in the USA so the ADA does not apply.

2. Please, now we need to offer up a special elevator that will only be used by the disabled? Is the goal to make things equally accessible or to make things more special for a minority group of cruiser?