Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mordev

Zuiderdam??

Wife and I and our good friends are considering a ten day cruise on the Zuiderdam in January of next year. Could really use some honest information regarding the condition of the Zuiderdam...I know it's a older ship...is it in good condition?...is there a lot of deferred repair?...is there worn furnishings, carpets, etc...has service gone down hill...Please honest imput would be appreciated...Thank You:)

I just got off the Zuiderdam on Saturday.I too was a little worried after reading a few bad reviews. You do not need to worry about the service or the condition of the Zuiderdam.We had excellent service from everyone.The food in the MDR was really good,in fact so good we did not feel the need to book the Pinnacle for dinner.We only ate in the lido a few times and while not great,it was more than adequate.I'm not sure how old the ship is,but it did not show a lot of wear and tear.There were always crew cleaning and polishing. Go and have a good time.......you will enjoy the Zuiderdam.:)

Our Zuiderdam trip was June 2010 so happy to see the ship is still in great shape and the MDR food remains the best. We thought the staff was great too so I would count this as one of HAL's "happy ships" where it all comes together and now seems to be doing so consistently for a while. Only thing bad about this ship are the ugly photos that make her decor look more garish than it felt in real time - the reds, purple, burgundies and dark paneling actually worked to feel overall stately, quiet and elegant.

We were on the Zuiderdam in February and thought that the ship was in great shape. Crew were always repairing or cleaning. Still there will always be areas where the carpet is worn, a seat needs repair, or a bulb is burned out, but keep in mind the number of passengers that are on the ship every day of the year with no down time. If you look hard enough, you will find areas that need attention, but that is no different from any other ship we have been on. I hope guests to my house are not as critical as some passangers are (and I would love to see their sparkling, immaculate palaces). The ship is only 9 or 10 years old.

We found the service and food to be excellent, showroom entertainment was average at best. Overall we had a great 10 days onboard.

We are booked on the Noordam this winter and have previously been on the Amsterdam, Nieuw Amsterdam,and Westerdam as well as the Zuiderdam.

Relax, and start to count down the days to your high seas adventure.

When sailing on the Westerdam on December 10th 2010 the Noordam and Zuiderdam also sailed that same day, the "Z" had noticeable rust scrub marks along the hull at the waterline, but this is likely due to weekly transits into the Panama Canal.

To the un-informed this may appear to be a state of deferred maintenance, but it's more a sign of the duty the ship is serving. If anything the Z has fewer turns (due to longer itineraries) than most of its sisters so interior wear and tear should be less on average. Any hard working vessel or commercial building will develop a "patina" in-between routine rejuvenation. I sailed on the Eurodam in 2008 in service only 6 months, and then in 2009 after being in service 18 months, and she actually "looked" better at 18 months than 6.

I'm looking forward to the Z in 30 days, and a few scrubs from the locks in the Canal are to be expected.

I just got off the Zuiderdam on Saturday.I too was a little worried after reading a few bad reviews. You do not need to worry about the service or the condition of the Zuiderdam.We had excellent service from everyone.The food in the MDR was really good,in fact so good we did not feel the need to book the Pinnacle for dinner.We only ate in the lido a few times and while not great,it was more than adequate.I'm not sure how old the ship is,but it did not show a lot of wear and tear.There were always crew cleaning and polishing. Go and have a good time.......you will enjoy the Zuiderdam.:)

Thank you for your review. We are booked in late October and I have seen enough bad reviews to make me wonder what we were going to find. I am glad to hear she is in good shape. By the way, did you go to Half Moon Cay? I am wonder how it weathered the storm.

Thank you for your review. We are booked in late October and I have seen enough bad reviews to make me wonder what we were going to find. I am glad to hear she is in good shape. By the way, did you go to Half Moon Cay? I am wonder how it weathered the storm.

We were on the Zuiderdam in July. The crew is constantly cleaning and polishing. Sure there are some areas that show some wear and tear, but nothing that could ruin a vacation! (Unless your vacation can be ruined by some worn upholstry.)

The crew were constantly cleaning and polishing, and as a new HAL cruiser, I found the crew to be friendlier overall than on the other lines we have sailed. My only problem with service was with room service, which was completely awful at times (wait of over 90 minutes for chocolate cake one evening!) and perfect other times (all breakfasts delivered on time). Otherwise, service was extremely good, in the dining room, cabin and Neptune Lounge. I have plenty of pictures of the Zuiderdam on my blog if you want visual examples.

There were server problems yesterday and I thought that my post then did not make it, but upon last review, it did, and not only that, it was a double post. Sorry about that. Regardless, clearly I did appreciate the reviews here. Thanks to all that posted.

Glad to put your mind at ease. We are still talking aout our great dining steward Hendrick and the wine steward who reserved all the 2007 wine we liked.Really good service.Service is more important to us then a little normal wear and tear.

Glad to put your mind at ease. We are still talking aout our great dining steward Hendrick and the wine steward who reserved all the 2007 wine we liked.Really good service.Service is more important to us then a little normal wear and tear.

This will be our first cruise with HAL and also our first Suite. We are really looking forward to it.

This will be our first cruise with HAL and also our first Suite. We are really looking forward to it.

You will love the suite amenities.I didn't mention the staff in the Neptune lounge but Jules was so helpful.The breakfast in the Pinnacle is really relaxing and not crowded at all.Enjoy all those suite perks.:)