Pride Review to BERMUDA...9/18-9/25 lots of pics & details!!!

GRTKJ

OH, Katie, how I LOVE your review. I am so excited about the cruise but had very little knowledge about what to expect in Bermuda. Thank you for bringing it to light for us.

You're welcome Jane! I've thoroughly enjoyed doing it, and I am so glad everyone is enjoying it!! There is so much to do in Bermuda, but we tried to hit the highlights! More to come! :)

Katie this review is great. You could be a tour guide. :)

Thank you!!! LOL, that's funny!...:p I guess I could, we learned so much that I wanted to share with everyone all the details! :)

EVERYTHING is imported, so as you can imagine, everything is higher in Bermuda. The 1 and ONLY good made in Bermuda is Rum.

Almost, but not quite. There's also Bermuda Gold liquor, which is made there and only available there. You can't buy it anywhere else in the whole world! It's very yummy sipped over ice as an after-dinner drink.

Enjoying your review-- can't wait to see if you went to any of the same places we went when we were there (a land trip in 1977, and 2 cruises: 2002 and 2007).

Here is the ocean, looking out south of the lighthouse, toward the Bermuda triangle!! I've got lots of info on that too, we actually took a tour that went OVER the Bermuda Triangle area, talk about interesting and FUN!! We didn't disapear! ;) More on that tour later.

DSC01734.jpg

Here we are, notice my pic, I am still a little hesitant about being up that high:

DSC01728.jpg

Here is Joe, he had no problems with the height:

DSC01726.jpg

Here we are together, yea this pic we had to stand on the edge practically...yikes! Notice we are a bit sweaty! It was actually warm and a bit humid that day in Bermuda, especially after you climb 185 steps!! LOL :D:

DSC01731.jpg

Almost, but not quite. There's also Bermuda Gold liquor, which is made there and only available there. You can't buy it anywhere else in the whole world! It's very yummy sipped over ice as an after-dinner drink.

Enjoying your review-- can't wait to see if you went to any of the same places we went when we were there (a land trip in 1977, and 2 cruises: 2002 and 2007).

Yes, there was other alcohol that they made there, but rum was the major one. I meant that everything product wise, besides alcohol, was the only thing made in Bermuda. They told us that now the Rum is sold worldwide & the facilites were not large enough to handle the production in Bermuda so they moved part of the production somewhere in TN, for packaging, shipping, logistics, that sort of thing there. He did make sure it was clear that the rum was still brewed in Bermuda, but after its brewed its shipped to TN for actual production into bottles, packaging, etc.

Glad you are enjoying it. I still have a lot to cover. We plan on flying there next time to see all the things we didin't have time for, there is so much to see there as you know!

And now the easy part! Going down the steps!:) We really enjoyed climbing to the top. When we were just about to go back into the area to climb down the stairs a man, was attempting to come out of the door area. He said he was too scared to go out on the railing!!!:rolleyes: LOL I thought, you walked all the way to the top and you aren't going out there for the views?? That man was crazy!!! So if you take the time and energy to climb to the top, go ourside and see the views, they are breathtaking!!

Anyway, so here we are climbing down the steps...

DSC01738.jpg

Besides the scardy cat :rolleyes: guy at the top, we climbed all the way up and back down and didn't see anyone! Once we stepped out of the area where you climb up, there was people everywhere!!! So we picked a great time to go and climb to the top! Here is a couple shots we took at the bottom near the navigational compass & wind direction reader. Here we are, we almost got hit in the head with it, so be careful if you take your picture by it!!

DSC01739.jpg

And another picture of the lighthouse as we were leaving:

DSC01741.jpg

Next stop, the most famous beach in Bermuda! Yes, Horseshoe Bay Beach! While driving on South Road, there is an area that is cleared, of course I am sure for people to get an aerial view of HSB. So here is our pictures:DSC01744.jpg

DSC01748.jpg

DSC01745.jpg

So after you go past this area, you turn right and kindof go back in to get to HSB. We were in a cab so we got a ride all the way to the bottom! Our total cab fare for all the places we stopped and for the ride there was $52, we gave him $65 as a tip for all the info he gave us. He was a great driver and we appreciated the things he did for us and our demands!

Let me next say, if we would have done all that thru the bus or ferry system, it would have taken up probably 4 hours or more, whereas we got all that done in about 1.5 hours. So just to throw that out there.

Here is Jerry, after he let us out at HSB.:

DSC01749.jpg

Finally, we are here at one of the most talked about beaches across the world. When I was doing my research, I had read somewhere that Bermuda's HSB was rated #2 in the world for most beautiful beaches, somewhere in Hawaii was #1. Again I do not remember the source on that but I did read it somewhere so I knew we had to visit!!

Here is the Cafe that people talk about on the beach site to the right of the beach area.:

DSC01750.jpg

You can rent chairs and an umbrella. It was $48 for all three of these items to rent, and when you return them, they give you $15 back, so it wasn't a bad deal at all. The chairs were very nice and even had an attached cushion where you could rest your head back, anyway they were well worth the money to us!

So after we got our chairs and umbrella, we were ready to go and went onto the beautiful beach............................

Thank you!

Yes, there was PLENTY of them, and actually they say the taxi's with a blue flag are the "taxi tours" that charge $40 p/hour, but we knew we only wanted to see a couple places, and so we didn't get one of the blue flag ones, just a normal one. All the drivers (bue flag and regualr ones) are very knowledgeable since most are born and raised there. So you can just get a normal taxi if you have an itinerary and know exactly where you want to go. They will answer any questions you have!

You are a wonderful story teller I have enjoyed reading each and everyone of your posts. The pictures are beautiful. I almost feel as I have been to Bermuda, never really had the desire to go but I think you are changing my mind. The two of you seem to be having the time of your lives.

katie,just started reading your review when low and behold came accross your pic of your room steward.SMALL WORLD! my wife and i just got back from pride september 18 and HARRY!!! was our steward(room 7303). he was the best steward we ever had,also had small ice chest which he always kept full, also we had an extended balcony, and as seen on CC,we ask if we could have a lounge chair(i really dont fit in small arm chairs on balcony or lido deck...totally different subject) before first day was up( he had to ok with supervisor) harry and assistant knocked on door with chair!! as soon as i saw your pic i got a HUGE smile on my face, remember seeing him most EVERY day and him greeting us (mister ron) and asking us how everything was going!!WISH WE WERE BACK!!! cant wait to see the rest of your GREAT review in that now i know that you had as wonderful of a cruise as my wife and i did on the pride a couple of weeks ago!!

This is great-we are hoping to sail on the Pride in April 2012. Everyone says go to the Bahamas, but I am thinking Bermuda might be an option after reading your post.

Bermuda isn't tropical, and so is still a little cool in April-- the average daily high is about 70-ish, and the water isn't as warm as it gets later in the season. That will probably be in the 60s.

But if you're not there for swimming or water sports, the temperature will be delightful!

You are a wonderful story teller I have enjoyed reading each and everyone of your posts. The pictures are beautiful. I almost feel as I have been to Bermuda, never really had the desire to go but I think you are changing my mind. The two of you seem to be having the time of your lives.

Thank you!!....and absolutely, Bermuda is a :cool: "must see"!!! Yes, we did indeed have the time of our life!! Thank you for the sweet comments! :)

katie,just started reading your review when low and behold came accross your pic of your room steward.SMALL WORLD! my wife and i just got back from pride september 18 and HARRY!!! was our steward(room 7303). he was the best steward we ever had,also had small ice chest which he always kept full, also we had an extended balcony, and as seen on CC,we ask if we could have a lounge chair(i really dont fit in small arm chairs on balcony or lido deck...totally different subject) before first day was up( he had to ok with supervisor) harry and assistant knocked on door with chair!! as soon as i saw your pic i got a HUGE smile on my face, remember seeing him most EVERY day and him greeting us (mister ron) and asking us how everything was going!!WISH WE WERE BACK!!! cant wait to see the rest of your GREAT review in that now i know that you had as wonderful of a cruise as my wife and i did on the pride a couple of weeks ago!!

You are right! It's unbelievable how small a world it is! Harry was a great room steward and thats an understatement!! I'm glad to hear he was able to accomodate for you, he seemed like he would do anything to make our vacation great! I know, we wish everyday we were back on that trip, I can't express how wonderful it is, but hopefully people can tell from all our pics!!! :)

Being new to CC I appreciate your review..these reviews are really helpful.

Welcome to CC!!! Glad to have you, its always "the more the merrier" on these boards, we all enjoy seeing everyones thoughts/opinions on cruising subjects! :) Glad you are enjoying my review, lots more info to come!

This is great-we are hoping to sail on the Pride in April 2012. Everyone says go to the Bahamas, but I am thinking Bermuda might be an option after reading your post.

Hi Janice! I couldn't recommend the Pride enough, especially going to Bermuda!! Here is OUR PERSONAL comparison of the Bahamas vs Bermuda. Again a disclaimer to all that read this, its our opinion only!!!!!

Bahamas Beach Hagglers---They are everywhere trying to sell you something! It wouldn't be so bad if they only bothered you once every 2 hours but the 3x we have been to the Bahamas, you are bothered atleast 2x per hour. We get SOOO annoyed at this. Even at the Atlantis resort, one of the nicest places in the Bahamas, they still bother you up and down the beach trying to sell things. I understand they are just trying to make a $ but please, we are on vacation and would prefer to not be bothered!

Bermuda Beach Hagglers--- NO SUCH THING!!! No one bothers you AT ALL and you can easily enjoy LOTS of peave and quiet!

Bermuda Crime---There is basically none!! I think I read the crime rate for there is less than 1% per year. The entire island is full of nice, welcoming people.

Bahamas Crime---It is high, very high, good the bahamas crime rate and even they say its high. Last I recall the problems with crime with travelers was theft and pickpocketing, thats awful. I know it can happen anywhere but would you want to worry with this while on vacation? Not us!

Bermuda April Weather---Their "off" season is Dec-March. So typically in April its average temp is 70 degrees. We just left there and the avg temp for us for Sept was 84, which was right on, and add humidity so it feels even warmer. Here is the source I found for weather for Bermuda: http://bermuda-guide.info/weather/ To me April would be a great time to go because it was quite warm while we were there! It was still very nice but it was warm!!

Bahamas April Weather---Most of their weather is similar year round. They say a good average is 75 degrees year round. Here is source for that info: http://www.bahamas.com/vacation-planning/bahamas-weather

So my honest opionin is Bermuda anyday over the Bahamas!!! The beaches in Bermuda are also rated higher than in the Bahamas, but I think that has to do with the crime rate being so high there. Anyway, either place is nice and tropical but my 2 cents is Bermuda anyday! To us, Bermuda is a must see! Good luck with your decisions! :)

Did you ever tell us about your camera ? Are the pictures of the two of you rather close up taken by you ? I've never tried those self portrait if that's what they are. Any tips ?

Yes I did, can't remember which post but I don't mind telling again! :)

We took 2 camers - one for most of the trip and the other for underwater. The one I have used thus far in all the pictures is a Sony Cybershot 12.1 megapixels. Great camera! We've had it 3 years and its been such a good one! The water pics or underwater pics will be coming later in the review when I get to our snorkeling tour....

Yes, a lot of the close up pics we held the camera in front of us. It's not hard, just gotta get your hard right so you don't cover the flash!! I've never actually explained it, but just practice it and you will get the hang of it.. LOL :p We typically did these when we were on our balcony and it was just the two of us.....

Archived