Lost Luggage Advice Needed (Off Mariner)

We had a great cruise aboard the Mariner in Feb, but at disembarkment, one of our suitcases failed to show up. A month later, it still has not been located, so the cruise line is sending me a form to fill out, requesting that I itemize its contents. I have already established a claim and filed a lost property report before departing for the airport. According to the "Risk Management" department (the people who process these types of claims), there is a limit of $300 per passenger for lost luggage, and it is limited to clothing only - you can't claim photos, electronic equipment or scuba gear or the value of the suitcase (which was new).

To say the least, I am extremly upset that our bag never turned up. The amount I can claim is less than what I feel the contents of my bag were worth, but I realize that it's better than nothing. And I am happy that Royal Caribbean is giving me the opportunity to file a claim.

So, as I itmeize the contents of my bag, it's obvious I am going to go over $300. Even if I were to receive $300 (which I have a feeling I will not - does anyone?) it still would not cover my loss. Can I ask for an upgrade or shipboard credit on a future cruise in addition to my claim?

Any input on this would be much appreciated.

No..No advice...

I sure hate to see this..Maybe its because of the board growth...But it sure is happening alot..

I know it would be a pain..But what happened to the good old baggage claim system.Remember at airports..You used to have to show you claim ticket to leave with your bag...I have not seen that in years..

It seems to me..the best system would somehow be...clear customs...then go get your own bags,and leave the ship...I know its not a pleasant thought,But you are surely at the mercy of anyone who wants to search your bag...(its a wonder more are not stolen while in the hallways at night) from the time they hit the hallway,till you pick them up in the luggage area..I think a baggage claim ticket is the least that should be done...

I never ever pack anything other than clothes ...or cheap souviners...

Sorry about your loss..good luck.

One thing hopefully we can all learn from your misfortune (Sorry it happened) is to make sure you include name, address and contact information inside the suitcase in addition to the tag on the outside with the same information. If the luggage ended up at the lost luggage site many airlines use, they will open it and then if they find a name and contact information will return it (you pay for the shipping).

Here is a link about the site.

http://www.travellady.com/Issues/Issue70/70U-lost.htm

http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/

Your rights if your luggage is lost

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/lostbaggagerights.htm

On this site it seems to say the limit is higher than you mention.

Sorry about your loss and hopefully we will all learn something from it.

Have a great next cruise.

It will not hurt to ask RCCL for some additional compensation, they can only say no at the worst. Is the $300 limited by the insurance you had or did you have no insurance? I got over $400 from the cruise insurance (thru RCCL) for a delayed bag at Christmas.:)

I did not have baggage insurance - live and learn. My bag was not lost by the airlines; it never showed up when we got off the ship. The $300 limit is what Royal Caribbean told me it would be - I'll be checking my cruise contract's fine print on their liability, but it will be what they told me over the phone, I'm sure.

We spent several hours searching for our bag; while doing so, I saw porters load up numerous carts for groups. NO porter should be allowed to take a bag off of the baggage carousel! And the cruise line or port authority should have a claim check process in place. But it didn't.

My bag is lost, and all I can do at this point is file a claim. With that said, I am tempted to ask for additional compensation. We have a cruise booked for November, and I don't feel asking for $100 in shipboard credit to be unreasonable. I won't hurt to ask, but I won't hold my breath. I'd rather get my suitcase with my souvenirs and clothing back.

Thanks for your replies.

I did not have baggage insurance - live and learn. My bag was not lost by the airlines; it never showed up when we got off the ship. The $300 limit is what Royal Caribbean told me it would be - I'll be checking my cruise contract's fine print on their liability, but it will be what they told me over the phone, I'm sure.

We spent several hours searching for our bag; while doing so, I saw porters load up numerous carts for groups. NO porter should be allowed to take a bag off of the baggage carousel! And the cruise line or port authority should have a claim check process in place. But it didn't.

My bag is lost, and all I can do at this point is file a claim. With that said, I am tempted to ask for additional compensation. We have a cruise booked for November, and I don't feel asking for $100 in shipboard credit to be unreasonable. I won't hurt to ask, but I won't hold my breath. I'd rather get my suitcase with my souvenirs and clothing back.

Thanks for your replies.

Can you make a claim with your home insurance on the remainder of the loss or with your credit card company.

I know here in Canada, or with my insurance, we can make a claim through them...have to weigh it against the discount we receive each year for being claims free. If it is worth the total amount lost -- I would use my home insurance.

In December our luggage was delayed for our entire trip to Vegas. I, yes me, located it on the day of return at the Vegas airport. We flew in through Detroit...we finally received our cheque for out of pocket expenses today...after all was said and done...the cheque amount wasn't worth the aggrevation.

So I would seriously think about looking for more...the airline gave us -- as a there so called Goodwill Jesture -- two $125 vouchers...yippy! After the experience we had trying to collect our out of pocket expenses I doubt very much we will fly with them again...hmm, but maybe they feel that way and don't think we will use the vouchers...I see what they are trying to do...next flight in the US, will use the coupons.

No specific advice about asking for an upgrade, but perhaps RCCI can assist you by letting you know if there was "leftover" luggage at the port for that cruise. A fellow passenger mistakenly took my suitcase last year; fortunately she had put her cell phone number on her suitcase and we were able to catch her before she left the port.

I would absolutely not suggest against filing a claim against a Homeowner's or Renter's policy for this. It would be subject to any policy deductible you may have, and the immdiate benefit is far less than the long term result of a claim on your policy that will now be flagged for review by an underwriter and subject to a possible premium increase.

Also consider that any Personal Property loss is settled as Actual Cash Value, regardless of what type of policy is being pursued. Everything depreciates, and clothing/ electronics depreciate extremely rapidly. The carrier of any policy to settle a Personal Property loss is generally only responsible for up to the Actual Cash Value (commonly known as ACV) for the loss unless there is a Replacement Cost Endorsement on the policy...which there is generally not on Travel Insurance.

Just my opinion...take the $300 if you can get it and walk away with a lesson learned.

Jay

Be careful about making a claim to the homeowners policy. You can actually lose more in the long run by higher premiums and you are put into a higher risk category, meaning they may cancel you if you were to have another claim in the future.

If you paid for travel by credit card, check to see if you have any travel insurance through them.

It's important to write about this from time to time. I always put at least two luggage tags on the outside of our luggage and one on the inside. Most luggage that truly goes missing is the stuff that is not identifiable. My DH had a bag missing off a cruise years ago, he said it took almost 8 weeks to be returned. We have also retrieved a bag off an airline carousel that had both tags and the luggage strap missing, it had not been opened. I like our newer bags, the luggage tag slides into a snap-closed pocket, flush with the bag.

I'm very sorry your bag was lost.

Be careful about making a claim to the homeowners policy. You can actually lose more in the long run by higher premiums and you are put into a higher risk category, meaning they may cancel you if you were to have another claim in the future.

If you paid for travel by credit card, check to see if you have any travel insurance through them.

It's important to write about this from time to time. I always put at least two luggage tags on the outside of our luggage and one on the inside. Most luggage that truly goes missing is the stuff that is not identifiable. My DH had a bag missing off a cruise years ago, he said it took almost 8 weeks to be returned. We have also retrieved a bag off an airline carousel that had both tags and the luggage strap missing, it had not been opened. I like our newer bags, the luggage tag slides into a snap-closed pocket, flush with the bag.

I'm very sorry your bag was lost.

Like most people, I too put several white enbarkation tags on all our bags prior to leaving them out the night before. And I also had a dayglo tassle, a large luggage ID tag and a slip of paper in the front pocket (which I never use) with our itinerary and home contact information. There is nothing more I could have done to insure that if someone found our bag, we could be easily contacted.

I am NOT going to file a claim with my homeowners policy. I will take what I can get. But I did an online search on this subject, and NOT one report indicated that anyone received anywhere near $300! I'm guessing that $200 formal outfit I bought on sale in November at Macy's will probably have a value of $20! I am not optimistic. I'll be lucky if I get $100! That is why I was contemplating asking for something else, like shipboard credit.

There is no lesson learned from this. The loss of my luggage is NOT my fault! After deducting the cost of baggage/travel insurance, and the amount I could have recovered (had I had it), I might have done a little better. But I normally do not purchase this type of insurance and probably will not in the future. It's not cost effective to do so in the long run.

With that said, Royal Caribbean needs to insist the port authority have more security in the luggage claim areas. Just my two cents worth.

Thanks for the advice!

Sorry to hear about your luggage loss, Suzi. A few years ago at the San Juan airport, my sister's suitcase was missing. We could tell that someone had picked it up because one similiar bag kept going round and round on the carousel. We went to USAir and told them and they tried to make it be MY SISTER'S FAULT. They came up with a ton of excuses and we told them, that we believed that the person's luggage that was left took hers. No way said they. To make a long story short, fortunately, we had gone to PR 2 days before the cruise. The next day, miracuously, the airline found my sister's luggage when the person who picked it up called to say he didn't have his luggage. The MAN who opened her suitcase, with a ladies purple coat on top of all other clothing, went through everything before he decided it wasn't worth his while to keep it. He returned it to the airport the next day, AT HIS CONVENIENCE. The airline did deliver the suitcase to our hotel, but made no apologies. Last year at San Juan again, returning from a cruise, someone took our friend's suitcase but somehow when he got to the airport, he realized he had the wrong one and called Celebrity so they were able to get it to our friend. I think both cruiselines and airlines should check to be sure the claim checks match. (Of course the cruiseline needs to give claim checks with numbers.) On a cruise, anyone almost could pick up a suitcase, say oh sorry, thought it was mine and leave it, but if no one stops him, he could go off with it. Some mistakes are honest, but I truly don't believe all are.

Katie

I would still check the sites suggested by wwinfl91. When we got off the ship from our first cruise we too were missing a bag. We searched everywhere, to the point that we missed our flight. After we arrived home we got a phone call from the airline that our suitcase was found (and utimately return to us). What probably happened was that somebody picked up our bag without checking the tag and took it but realized when they got to where they were going it wasn't theirs. That may have been what happened to your bag. It may have made it off the ship and it is really not RCCLs fault that it is missing. Anyway, it never hurts to explore all possibilities. So sorry you had this bad experience. I think having security in place to check claim tickets against the actual bag is a good idea. We recently flew into Cancun and thats what they did at the airport. You didn't get your bag out of the secure area until security checked your bag against your claim ticket.

I would still check the sites suggested by wwinfl91. When we got off the ship from our first cruise we too were missing a bag. We searched everywhere, to the point that we missed our flight. After we arrived home we got a phone call from the airline that our suitcase was found (and utimately return to us). What probably happened was that somebody picked up our bag without checking the tag and took it but realized when they got to where they were going it wasn't theirs. That may have been what happened to your bag. It may have made it off the ship and it is really not RCCLs fault that it is missing. Anyway, it never hurts to explore all possibilities. So sorry you had this bad experience. I think having security in place to check claim tickets against the actual bag is a good idea. We recently flew into Cancun and thats what they did at the airport. You didn't get your bag out of the secure area until security checked your bag against your claim ticket.

It used to be that Royal Caribbean had claim checks and someone would check to make sure you had your bags as you left the terminal. That does not take place, but should. Interestingly enough, most airports no longer check tags either. It must be a personnel issue.

We'll see what happens. Thanks, everyone!

Suzi, I, too am really sorry about your suitcase. I just got home from shopping for a new set of (fairly inexpensive) luggage. Now I'm considering doing what some posters on other thread have suggested...decorating my new luggage with colorful duct tape! I kind of hate to do it, but I would rather do that than have someone walk off with it. I know you said you had day-glo tags and everything. I know you did all you could do, and it was not your fault. I'm just thinking if I put big florescent green and orange stripes across my bags I will notice if someone takes them. Just thinking out loud...sorry again for your loss.

Amanda

Suzi, I, too am really sorry about your suitcase. I just got home from shopping for a new set of (fairly inexpensive) luggage. Now I'm considering doing what some posters on other thread have suggested...decorating my new luggage with colorful duct tape! I kind of hate to do it, but I would rather do that than have someone walk off with it. I know you said you had day-glo tags and everything. I know you did all you could do, and it was not your fault. I'm just thinking if I put big florescent green and orange stripes across my bags I will notice if someone takes them. Just thinking out loud...sorry again for your loss.

Amanda

I guess what you are proposing to do is SMART: I'll probably do the same from now on! It beats someone else walking off with your bags!

Although it would create a bit of a back-up at the cruise terminal/airport I WISH they would check baggage tags to make sure the rightful owners are the ones making off with the baggage. For the extra few minutes it would take each time imagine how much time is spent on trying to FIND you bag if its missing...not to mention the monetary value and time and money spent replacing all your items that went missing. Personally, not that my clothing is anything to brag about or that expensive, but it was MINE. I hate to shop, so having to replace everything that was lost, well, don't get me started, it wouldn't be pleasant.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I don't know what else you could have done to identify that luggage as yours; sounds like you had plenty of identification attached and inside. I hope you get compensation that amounts close to your loss.

Sailfish,

We had the same thing happen to us off the Mariner this weekend. My son's bag never showed up on the carousel. After almpst 2 hours of searching (and missing our shuttle to the airport), a porter came rolling in with his bag, stating that someone realized they had the wrong suitcase when they were loading up their car.

I completely agree that their should be claim tags that are checked. Furthermore, I feel theat RCI's use of baggage carousels adds to the confusion because you have a mob of people just trying to pull bags off the carousel. In addition, because you clear customs before you pick up your bags, you miss the opportunity to double check the ownership of luggage when you go through customs.

Give me the old procedures where everyone's bags where just lined up in rows by colors and you physically carried your bags through Customs. I think there was less opportunity for someone to take the wrong bag.

Even when they are lined up people take other people's bags. It happened to us on the Empress last year. All our bags but one. We finally an hour later "found" our bag out front Thak you ********. Anyone can make a mistake BRING IT BACK WHERE YOU GOT IT FROM!.

It sounds like there are a lot of bags taken by mistake. Perhaps they could someday issue departure tags for baggage that is RF enabled (like some dept. stores use now) and have them programed to relate to your seapass which also would have RF ability. This way when some one leaves there would be a signal/alarm if a bag left without the proper seapass. A little high tech so cost may be an issue but it would work.

I have a friend who received more than the $300 but RCCL knew they messed up and he had the proof. He too could not find his bag for a long time and then he heard a page. When he saw his bag it still had water dripping out of it and onto the floor. They had dropped it in the water. They asked him to go home and have everything professionally laundered and what couldn't be cleaned to satisfaction they would settle. He felt he was compensated fairly but unfortunatly, and I'm sorry for you, I don't think they will compensate you near as much since the bag is missing and they may not feel responsible.

I do hope you are given more than $200. Many luggage alone cost more than that without the contents.

It sounds like there are a lot of bags taken by mistake. Perhaps they could someday issue departure tags for baggage that is RF enabled (like some dept. stores use now) and have them programed to relate to your seapass which also would have RF ability. This way when some one leaves there would be a signal/alarm if a bag left without the proper seapass. A little high tech so cost may be an issue but it would work.

I have a friend who received more than the $300 but RCCL knew they messed up and he had the proof. He too could not find his bag for a long time and then he heard a page. When he saw his bag it still had water dripping out of it and onto the floor. They had dropped it in the water. They asked him to go home and have everything professionally laundered and what couldn't be cleaned to satisfaction they would settle. He felt he was compensated fairly but unfortunatly, and I'm sorry for you, I don't think they will compensate you near as much since the bag is missing and they may not feel responsible.

I do hope you are given more than $200. Many luggage alone cost more than that without the contents.

Dropped it in the water! Amazing he even got it back. Wonder how many suitcases are at sitting at the bottom of the drink?????

It would make sense to link the luggage to the seapass. Weird thing was last week that they didn't check our seapasses when we disembarked on Sunday. Our kids wondered if they would have been able to "stow away" for a second week as RCI has no idea whether they got off the ship or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a look at the Unclaimed baggage site. Something about that business really bugs me. They claim that they receive the goods approximately 3-4 months after a bag is left, lost at the airport and every attempt has been made to find the owners. I just have a hard time believing that much luggage can be lost, unclaimed and not returned to owners.

Another question I have is if the owners of this business pay the airlines anything for these bags? I can't see the airlines just turning them over. Perhaps some of the baggage handlers swipe a suitcase here and now and make a little money off of it.

Do the cruiselines also send their unclaimed baggage to this place?

To the OP, sounds like you may still get your bag back if it takes 3-4 months to attempt to find the owners. On the other hand, your bag may have just been stolen...never to be seen again.:(

Hi Everyone! I am the OP; here is an update.

First off, I finally received a letter from Royal Caribbean requesting I turn in an inventory listing the contents of my lost suitcase. I have called them numerous times and am thankful I got the letter, but why they do not bother to return phone calls is beyond me. Suffice it to say, I was informed by the cruise line that they are "satisfied" (what ever that means) that my bag is indeed lost forever. They made no mention of any location where a lost bag might end up. I'm guessing someone either on the ship or in the baggage claim area took off with my bag.

I have yet to complete this inventory list and send it off, as I have been very busy. But plan to do so soon. Only the value of the clothing in the luggage will be compensated - not the value of our NEW suitcase, or our non-clothing souvenirs and dive gear; please note that USED clothing has very little value. Up to $300 will be paid for the contents of my missing bag.

Besides wanting to get input from others, my posting was also intended to bring attention to the fact that there's a lack of security in Port Canaveral's luggage claim area. Passengers need to claim their own bags; at no time should a porter be allowed to grab bags from the carousel as they could mistakenly take someone elses bag!

I appreciate all the input and will follow up with the conclusion, if and when I get compensated for my lost bag.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the OP again; I'm happy to report I got a check for $600 from Royal Caribbean in the mail yesterday.

I sent off a comprehensive inventory list and within two weeks of faxing this over to the Risk Management department at the cruise line, I got a check in the mail for the mximum amount allowed by the the cruise contract.

I'm happy to put some closure on this issue. No, the value of my lost items exceeded the allowance, but I am pleased my claim was swiftly handled. I thought you might like to know.

Archived