Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

giraffenana

Some Current Info on the Star

This is a direct quote copied from an e-mail we received this morning from Kyle, the Shore Excursion guy on the Star. He is not actually on the Star at present since it is his time off.

"Here is some Information for you: as I have been told the Star blew a engine about 2 weeks ago, so it can't make it's way to Fanning until it gets fixed. They (Star Chief Engineer) say it won't be fixed until dry dock. So that means that the Star will not be visiting Fanning."

I firmly believe this information is correct. Sorry for all of you who are cruising on the Star in the next few weeks.[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Maybe some of you will be happy about it. Personally the visit to Fanning was the highlight of our cruise and the main reason we repeated this cruise in less than one year. We also loved the two sea days. Now if we want to visit Fanning we will have to cruise for 10 days on the Wind. Joy

Joy
Sensation, 2/20/2000
NCL Sky, 3/4/2001
Grandeur, 2/20/2002
NCL Sky, 9/1/2002
NCL Norway, 2/2/2003
NCL Star, 4/6/2003
NCL Star, 1/25/2004

It is strange and somewhat disturbing that both the Star and the Dream are having engine trouble at the same time. While this could be a co-incidence, its also a possible sign of badly deferred maintenance. Given their computer problems and this, its a WARNING sign unfortunately...

So what is the iteniary for the Star if it is not going to Fanning? Also, if NCL KNOWS this, what are they doing for their passengers who are traveling on the STAR the next couple of weeks?

Joanne

OK, I am going to cry foul here. It souds like the failure is most likely in the POD unit. that is the only part that requires dry dock. This is not a warning sign. NCL would otherwise have to cancel your cruises. As it is you will spend more time in the islands, NCL will be assessed a hefty fine and so it goes. If you want to learn more about the pod engine technology and its problems please follow the link below. Carnival has had problems on its 3 ships, as have RCCl and Celebrity. I guess it comes down to choice, cancel everyones cruises for 2 to 3 weeks while you wait for repairs to a single pod, while still having 2 additional units, or make it so everyone gets their favorite vacation. I find it amusing that people complain about the diversion to Fanning Island, and when they get the bonus of not having to go, the are unhappy as well. Please follow the link, it could prove educational.

[url="http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/PRINT/mmipods.html"]http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/PRINT/mmipods.html[/url]

Aloha Hawaii
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;13;1800;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I read on another thread that the one and only sea day will be Monday and that they will start visiting Kona. Not sure what exactly the itinerary is though.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!
NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!
Alaska summer 2005!

Great post gdries. I really had my heart set on Fanning Island.It was to be the high point for me. Not really too upset since there are going to be plenty of other places that I want to go that I will never see as well. Plus the rest of the trip will still be better then the best day doing the 9 to 5.

To answer AZJoanne, they have not contacted me as of yet. However they are having computer problems and my documents have not arrived yet with a week away from leaving. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

CVC is my TA and when my wife wanted something done, CVC contacted NCL who will print the docs and send them to us. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I am not looking for NCL to do anything for me (except not mess up sending me my tickets) due to this change of itinerary because others have and will pay for this same itinerary and missing Fanning is small compared to some of the other stuff I have heard on this board. I feel real bad for those that are a month away from the Star repositioning cruise that was canceled. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Now if NCL starts handing out on board credits I will gladly oblige them in that endeavor. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But what I really want from NCL is to due their part to make my vacation great and I will do the same.

Terry

Princess Regal Alaska 2002
Carnival Pride Eastern Caribbean 2003
NCL Star Hawaii (Broken engine itinerary) 2004

I realize that delays and changes to itinararies are frustrating but misinformation and rumors are worse. Most cruise ships have more than one engine and the new ships all seem to have pods which are basically electric motors driven off of a diesel generating plant in the engine room. When people say the engine blew it makes me think of the Norway, that is not what happened here. According to one of the other posts on this site the STAR is having problems with "the forward thrust bearing" on one of its pod prupolsion units. If the engine did blow there would worse things than missed ports happening. As for the DREAM it has more than one engine and when you are running in rough seas with only one engine you are going to burn more fuel. Saying that NCL didnt buy fuel because they were cheap and trying to save money isnt fair to the cruise line. No cruise line that i know of wants to miss ports or lose passengers. They are in the business of making money after all.
Cruise ships are designed to be drydocked for periodic repairs, just like cars and airplanes are routinely maintenanced. Sometimes they break down just like cars, trains, and airplanes. Most of the repairs passengers never know about but sometimes major repairs need to be made. Frankly, since the ships are floating in one of the most corrosive elements in nature i am surprised there arent more problems. If NCL's ships broke down every week or so then it might be fair to say they have shabby maintenance, but it isnt in this case.
I work for NCL so you might say I have some brand loyalty but in reality i work for a subcontracter and i just go where they tell me to. I like NCL and so do my parents, we are low maintenance people and dont sweat the small stuff, so when we were told that we had to miss a port we didnt complain too much as we were just happy to be on a cruise.
I worked onboard the SAGA ROSE all of 2003 and it was very interesting seeing how unhappy some of the passengers were and how high maintenance they were. the smallest things would make them irate. they were on a month long cruise that most people will never be able to afford and yet they were unhappy because of the choice of breadrolls for dinner.
No cruise line wants there ships to break down and no cruise line wants to lose passengers because of it, some handle problems better than others but problems happen and you just have to deal with them the best you can.

Kinggrobby 25
Hey I'm usually a pretty relaxed cruiser but I must admit when I find out (from rumours on the cruise critic board) that my cruise has been cancelled leaving me with non-refundable air tickets to honolulu and back from Vancouver ( sorry I can't swim that far.)And 3 night hotel reservations which are also mostly non-refundable. When I have to call my travel agent and inform them because NCL hasn"t got in touch with them yet, when I call the information number for NCL and sit on hold for 20 minutes and still don't get any answer I get a little ticked off. Sorry if that makes me an uptight or bad tempered cruiser.

Here's an update I got on all the Star changes, hope it helps. We are disappointed we won't be going to Fanning, but are happy we aren't the canceled cruise (sorry to you all!)

Media Statement:
MIAMI, April 2, 2004 - Today, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) announced a revised schedule for Norwegian Star's Hawai`i itineraries due to damage to the forward thrust bearing in the ship's azipod system. The ship can still travel 18 knots, but she cannot perform the normal 25 knots needed to run the Hawai`i itinerary including Fanning Island.

Therefore, beginning Sunday, April 4th through April 25th, the ship will drop Fanning Island from its itinerary and offer a revised itinerary with more time in Hawai`i.

Below is the revised itinerary for the week of April 4th:

Day PortArrive Depart
Sun Honolulu, Oahu --- 8:00pm

Mon At Sea

Tue Hilo, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed Kona, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Thu Lahaina, Maui 7:00am 11:00pm

Fri Kahului, Maui 7:00am 6:00pm

Sat Nawiliwili, Kauai 8:00am 6:00pm

Sun Honolulu, Oahu 7:00am

The week of April 11th:

Day Port Arrive Depart

Mon Kona, Hawaii 8:00am 6:00pm

Tue Hilo, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed At Sea

Thu Kahului, Maui 7:00am 11:00pm

Fri Lahaina, Maui 7:00am 6:00pm

The week of April 18th:

Day Port Arrive Depart

Mon At Sea

Tue Kona, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed Hilo, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Thu Lahaina, Maui 7:00am 11:00pm

Fri Kahului, Maui 7:00am 6:00pm

The week of April 25th:

Day Port Arrive Depart

Mon Hilo, Hawaii 11:00am 6:00pm

Tue Kona, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed Kahului, Maui 7:00am 11:00pm

Thu At Sea --- ---

Fri Lahaina, Maui 7:00am 6:00pm

Norwegian Star will enter its previously scheduled dry dock early for repairs to the azipod. As a result, NCL is regrettably canceling Norwegian Star's Trans Pacific voyage on May 2nd from Honolulu to Vancouver. Guests booked on this cruise will receive a full refund, a 25 percent cruise credit certificate for the value they paid for the cruise, and applicable airline change fees.

NCL has established a special number -- 1-877-501-6021 for further questions.

Thanks so much dodge9. Very nice itinerary. I will miss Fanning Island but will love getting all the time in Hawaii.

Terry
Princess Regal Alaska 2002
Carnival Pride Western Caribbean 2003
NCL Star Hawaii (Broken engine itinerary) 2004

Dodge9 can you tell me where you saw that news release? I was back on the NCL site this morning and the last news release I can find is Dated Mar 17. There still doesn't seem to be any report about the cancelled cruise on the Star.
Thanks

Actually sounds like a great iteniary! I will be on the Star for the april 4th sailing! I don't know much about Kona, but I am sure there will be lots to do and see. As long as there is a beach and shopping, I will have a wonderful time.....
The only regret I have is that I have jumped through hoops trying to get passports for my family because of Fanning Island! But I am still very much looking forward to being on the Star and seeing Hawaii for the first time....

Thanks everyone for all the info.....

Joanne

Hi. I got the information from an e-mail from my sales rep for NCL, it is the companies statement to travel agencies and the such. You will still need either your passport or birth certificate with picture id to board; I am bringing my passport still, so there will be no problems. I am bummed about not being able to go to Fanning, as I was looking forward to it and love the sea days, but we are a group of 40 and most seem more than happy with the extended stay in Hawaii. I feel badly for those on the canceled sailing and since I am on the 4-25 sailing I pray it doesn't end up canceled! Happy cruising to all... at least we will still all be on vacation and not at work!

Hope things go well for you on the 4/25 sailing. I'm on the May 2nd used to be a cruise. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] still I wish you well and hope you have a great one. I'm not bitter or anything [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
Well maybe a little tiny bit bitter. You'll have to have a double espresso after dinner for me, in memory of our sadly departed cruise.

we are on the 4/25 sailing with dodge9 and also hope that cruise isn't canceled, but... i've been looking into alternatives just in case... just hope if they do cancel they give us enough time to book something else for the same time period...

[img]http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/stone/27/names/d/deborah01.gif[/img]
rhapsody of the seas 4/27/03
carnival conquest 10/5/03
<MARQUEE> [img]http://www.gamespy.com/avatars/av/AT/at286.gif[/img]
<MARQUEE]

star/hawaii 4/25/04... 50th birthday celebration!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;25;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

grand princess 11/13/04... departs glaveston!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]