Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dodge9

NCL Star altered itineraries

Hi All, just got this from NCL and thought I'd share with all of you...

Media Statement

MIAMI, April 2, 2004 - Today, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) announced a revised schedule for Norwegian Star's Hawai`i itineraries due to damage to the forward thrust bearing in the ship's azipod system. The ship can still travel 18 knots, but she cannot perform the normal 25 knots needed to run the Hawai`i itinerary including Fanning Island.

Therefore, beginning Sunday, April 4th through April 25th, the ship will drop Fanning Island from its itinerary and offer a revised itinerary with more time in Hawai`i.

Below is the revised itinerary for the week of April 4th:

Day Port Arrive Depart

Sun Honolulu, Oahu --- 8:00pm

Mon At Sea

Tue Hilo, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed Kona, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Thu Lahaina, Maui 7:00am 11:00pm

Fri Kahului, Maui 7:00am 6:00pm

Sat Nawiliwili, Kauai 8:00am 6:00pm

Sun Honolulu, Oahu 7:00am

The week of April 11th:

Day Port Arrive Depart

Mon Kona, Hawaii 8:00am 6:00pm

Tue Hilo, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed At Sea

Thu Kahului, Maui 7:00am 11:00pm

Fri Lahaina, Maui 7:00am 6:00pm

The week of April 18th:

Day Port Arrive Depart

Mon At Sea

Tue Kona, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed Hilo, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Thu Lahaina, Maui 7:00am 11:00pm

Fri Kahului, Maui 7:00am 6:00pm

The week of April 25th:

Day Port Arrive Depart

Mon Hilo, Hawaii 11:00am 6:00pm

Tue Kona, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm

Wed Kahului, Maui 7:00am 11:00pm

Thu At Sea --- ---

Fri Lahaina, Maui 7:00am 6:00pm

Norwegian Star will enter its previously scheduled dry dock early for repairs to the azipod. As a result, NCL is regrettably canceling Norwegian Star's Trans Pacific voyage on May 2nd from Honolulu to Vancouver. Guests booked on this cruise will receive a full refund, a 25 percent cruise credit certificate for the value they paid for the cruise, and applicable airline change fees.

NCL has established a special number -- 1-877-501-6021 for further questions.

That's great news!!

Previously every week on the Star there were about 200 passengers who complained that nobody told them that the Star was going to Fanning Island (who would go on a cruise without reading the itinerary?).

Now those same 200 will be screaming about the fact that they waited all their life to visit Fanning Island and can never have sex again now that they have missed it.

Jim,

you crack me up. icon_biggrin.gif

These revised Hawaii itineraries look good too, but you can't please all of the cruisers all of the time! I guess those people that complain about "wasting" the hours getting to Fanning Island just to spend the day watching flies buzz around garbage will be happy--or will they find something else to complain about???. (I realize I ended the sentence in a preposition, but I am throwing all caution to the wind in this post anyway. Feisty day, I guess.

All I can say is that it is a shame this did not happen a couple of weeks earlier when WE were on it. :-)

KauaiBruce

If it had, Bruce, I might have been able to figure out a way to meet some of you at the pier!

Oh, well.

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

Hey Sweetemi:

Thanks for sharing your great Star review with mnstar. They said it was great, too.

With this news on the Star"s bad flipper (pod) we are just glad they aren't cancelling our sailing. We are still on for Hawaii. Aloha, and mahalo again.

SweetEmi:

With this news about Star's bad flipper (pod) we're just glad they didn't cancel our sailing as they did the May 2 repo. Really feel sorry for those folks.

The revised itinerary for our cruise looks OK. More Hawaii time!!

Thanks to you for sharing your great review with mnstar. They said it was super!! We are still on for Hawaii!! Aloha and mahalo again for your help and information.

Sassy: Glad to help! I was thinking about you all when I heard about the cancellation. At first I thought they were saying, boom! everything's cancelled, but then realized it was "only" the repo cruise. So...I am very sorry for everyone on that cruise, but happy for the others that were before it and are still on.

Aloha!

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

We were on the 3/21 sailing when the POD had problems. They will not to Dry Dock for repairs. Actually we had 2 full days in Maui, so WHO could complain.

The Star is great, especially La Bistro. Cruise director has got to be best at sea.

just got this email from vacations to go, which is who we booked our 4/25 cruise though...

Dear Mrs. Kaselonis,

Norwegian Cruise Line cancelled the April 25th and May 2nd departures of the Norwegian Star due to engine trouble.

Guests booked on these sailings will receive a full refund, a 25 percent cruise credit certificate, and reimbursement for applicable airline change fees.

The cruise credit certificate amount is based on the number of guests, bundled cruise package fare and non-commissionable fares. The certificate is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Please contact your agent for further questions.

Sincerely,

Tyson Wagner

deborah01.gif

rhapsody of the seas 4/27/03

carnival conquest 10/5/03

<MARQUEE> at286.gif

<MARQUEE]

star/hawaii 4/25/04... 50th birthday celebration!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;25;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

grand princess 11/13/04... departs glaveston!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Deborah,

when did you get this about the 4-25 sailing; I have yet to hear anything???

dodge9, i got the email about 4pm central time today... just called *****.com and spoke with a manager and she confirmed the 4/25 cancelation... she wanted us to speak with our ta tomorrow though... scrambling to find something else now... i had so wanted to go to hawaii (my lst time), but i guess it's just not to be... don't want to rebook on the 11th or the 18th as they are too much at risk also, so i guess we'll do another cruise from the homeland... our tickets to hawaii were independently booked through hotwire, but we do have insurance on the trip so i hope we will get that refunded also... keep me posted! write me at kaselonis@aol.com

deborah01.gif

<MARQUEE> at286.gif

<MARQUEE]

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;25;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Hi Deborah,

This is the first that I heard that the 25th was cancelled. And the 11th and 18th in danger. This is getting weird.

Terry

Princess Regal Alaska 02

Carnival Pride Western Caribbean 03

NCL Star Hawaii (I hope April 11th 04)

Paws43tails: Just got off the phone with what was supposed to be the "Hawaii" desk for NCL and the nice young lady I talked to said that only the May 2 sailing of Star had been cancelled, and that the 4/11, 4/18 AND 4/25 sailings were all still scheduled to go, but with altered itineraries. Somehow, someone is not getting the straight story!! Paws43tails you indicated that you got your info from "*****" thru which you booked your 4/25 cruise. That would seem a pretty reliable source. What is going on here??? Either the NCL people themselves are not being told the straight story, or they are not giving the public correct and/or UP TO DATE information. In any case, this is NOT a very good situation, and NCL should be running fast to get it right.

We are sailing on 4/18 and are more than a little nervous at this point. Maybe this is a changeable situation where NCL cannot know at this point if a given cruise will be cancelled. The Star has a problem, that is sure. How extensive and/or crippling it is must be determined quickly and appropriate information put out immediately. Lots of people are hanging on this information, to say nothing of lots of money. No matter what kind of "refund" NCL comes up with, if a cruise is cancelled the pax will lose money and a large hunk of peace of mind. Realization that bad things happen won't and doesn't make it any better.

Also, if there are more cancellations, this needs to be announced ASAP because as much time as possible is needed to salvage whatever one can of a busted vacation(formulate a plan B)--NCL needs to be definite and quick in letting the public know if any more cruises are to be cancelled. They might want to hold off giving out such bad news, but if they know a sailing (or sailings) must be cancelled for whatever reason, they should let the pax concerned know IMMEDIATELY!!

We are hanging on to the hope that our sailing will go. In that spirit (and we will figure out a way to take this vacation in Hawaii one way or another--we have too much tied up in air fare to abort it totally)we bid all aloha.

[This message was edited by sassycassie on 04-05-04 at 01:22 PM.]

this is such a mess now! if we got bad information from *****.com then i've got everybody in an uproar for nothing... kase is right now calling our ta to make sure of what is going on... he's already put in a cancelation fax for our airfare... boy, we're in a pickle!

deborah01.gif

<MARQUEE> at286.gif

<MARQUEE]

Hi. I have been working on this since 8 a.m. and have talked with numerouse departments and people at NCL as well as my cruise rep. and have got nothing but mixed information... from yes it's canceled, to no it's not, to there was a fax that went out that said 4-25 and 5-2 was cnaceled, and then another fax stating that was incorrect and only 5-2 was canceled. I am awaiting correct word still and will let you all know if I hear anything that is finalized. This is absurd, NCL needs to get it right and right away. There are lots of things that need to be done if it is not going and a different answer from everyone I talk to at NCL is not fair!

Hi all,

I just talked to CVC, my TA, and they called NCL while I was on hold. NCL told them that the April 11th is not cancelled. I am not sure about the others but the CVC lady only asked about the 11th. I would have asked her to check again but I am at work and she left me on hold for some time.

Not sure if this is correct but it is offered.

Good luck to all,

Terry

Princess Regal Alaska 02

here is our latest... just as dodge9 and sassycassie were told by the hawaii desk, our TA also called hawaii... there was a fax that stated the 4/25 and 5/2 cruises were canceled... then another fax with just the 5/2 cancelation... so as far as we know the 11th,18th and 25th are sailing... but don't hold your breath! (we're still smiling)

deborah01.gif

<MARQUEE> at286.gif

<MARQUEE]

Like dodge9, I've been on this since about 8 am--with lunch and Chicago Cub opening game opening innings break--and I have come up with same information. Have talked with the "Hawaii" desk at NCL twice, and both times they advised that the only sailing cancelled was the May 2 reposition trip. I was very specific in my question on which cruises had been cancelled, and the telephone representative in both cases was very specific in saying the April 18, and April 25 sailings were a go, except with changed itineraries. I guess I will sleep better tonight; hopefully my wife will too--she was awake all night trying to come up with a reasonable plan B. She is our Chief of Operations, Chief of Staff, Treasurer, Secretary and President all rolled into one!! She was crushed to think we might not be sailing after all the great planning she had done.

Paws43tails I hope your situation works out OK. Please keep in touch and let us know.

For all the folks that kept up with this "situation" and provided information, mahalo. Hope to see you in the Islands. Now back to our roll call thread to keep up with the 4/l8 cruise plans and stuff. Aloha

Greetings to sassiecassie and everyone else. We just back to town an hour ago, and I see I have missed alot this week-end, but not good news. I am thinking only positive thoughts to help this work out. We will certainly make the most of a changed itinerary on the 18th, just can't even think about a cancellation. I guess we'd still go and try to reconfigure our vacation, as economically as possible...

Eveyone, please keep the postings coming and I will talk to out TA tomorrow am. Our sympathies to anyone facing cancellation!

mnstar ~ First cruise, first trip to Hawaii, and 25th anniversary on 4/21 ...

Hi Again mnstar:

Glad to have you back. Please see my posting on the 4/18 Roll call thread asking if you have received your documents for the cruise from NCL or your travel agent. As you will see I am concerned as we have NOT received ours yet. Our ta said they have not been received from NCL, but would be sent "before the end of the week". NCL had also told her that two weeks ago. I called NCL today, but they would not tell me if the docs had been sent or not--the representative told me I had to talk to the ta about that, because the reservation had been made through a ta. Our ta also told us that we could go even if the docs are not received before we leave, because she was told we are on the "manifest," and the paperwork we already have along with our identification (passports) would be sufficient. I am worried that some official at the embarkation will decide we can't board without official "tickets" from NCL, which, of course, we don't have yet. We want to have some recourse if such a situation comes up. This whole thing makes us (me mostly) very, very nervous. It would be a super tragedy if this whole thing went down because of some "administrative" blunder or mishap.

As I asked at the top of this rant, mnstar, what is your documentation situation. Can anyone on these boards shed any light on this kind of a situation? Waiting with much anticipation for some advice/information/news. These boards usually come up with just what is needed. Mahalo in advance for any help.

sassycassie

[This message was edited by sassycassie on 04-05-04 at 09:21 PM.]

I got my documents weeks ago for the 4-25 cruise. If you do have your reservation number and NCL says they see you in the system, it is true you can board without documents if you are on the manifest (I have done that once). I would definitely get with your ta some more to be sure they don't owe any money on your booking (if you are booked in a group and they haven't met their financials NCL will not release any of the groups tickets). Good Luck and Happy Cruising!

After some pressure from my rather assertive wife our CVA TA gave in and spilled the beans on what is going on. We were told that NCL’s computers could not print the documents and that they were being printed one at a time. Since we are leaving from home this Friday April 9th we would not be here by the time they would arrived. We were told that the TA called NCL who will send us our documents via Airborne delivery no later then Wednesday.

The alternative is to pick the documents up at the dock. My wife thought that this would be fine at the time but the way things are going with NCL ????? who knows????

I have been really trying hard to keep calm but it is harder and harder with every new issue. Between the computer problem and the mechanical problem I feel like I am on a roller coaster.

So far nothing really bad has happened that would jeopardize our vacation but with this many close calls I am not going to be at ease till next Sunday at 8 PM Hawaii Time.

Terry

Princess Regal Alaska 02

dodge9:

Thanks so much for the quick response. These boards are so much help! We do have our reservation number, and when I talked to the NCL "Hawaii" desk today, she was able to bring our reservation up in their computer without any difficulty. The fact that you actually got on without docs once does make me feel much better. Knowing my wife, she will have every scrap of proof that we have reserved and paid for this cruise with us, so we should be all right at embarkation. Mahalo again, dodge9. We'll try to keep the ship in one piece so you can get your cruise completed!! ALOHA!

NCL has had computer problems for a year now. I know I was on top of our documents and called daily... first they were sent and then it said printed, but not mailed... I just kept pushing and we got them.... two week process from start to finish, but like I said we got them weeks ago still. If you don't have documents by the time you leave, have your ta send them to your hotel or where ever you are staying in Hawaii... I have done that before. Have a great time.... we still have 18 days before we leave and it was only 40 degrees here today... so I can not wait!