Scare on the QM2 this evening

Kiltboys

I have the following on very good authority as of 21:00 Oct 5, 2011:

A gas carbine in the engine room of the QM2 caught on fire this evening. Cunard staff were given a 90 minute warning in order to prepare to deploy the lifeboats. Guests had their children dropped off and their animals picked up from the kennels.

Apparently it is now under control, but people are understandably shaken up. They are currently in extremely rough seas and my source tells me that "things are flying all over the ship". In one instance a copier machine was ripped from its harnass and destroyed into 8 pieces.

That's all I know at the moment.

A gas carbine in the engine room of the QM2 caught on fire this evening. Cunard staff were given a 90 minute warning in order to prepare to deploy the lifeboats. Guests had their children dropped off and their animals picked up from the kennels.

Apparently it is now under control, but people are understandably shaken up. They are currently in extremely rough seas and my source tells me that "things are flying all over the ship". In one instance a copier machine was ripped from its harnass and destroyed into 8 pieces.

I Hope that everything is OK with the passengers and with the ship. Regards,Jerry

Would you please let us know of any updates Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

I got pretty much the same story earlier today. I am sure it is for real. Did not know about the fire though. I also got it from a staff member that the crew is amazing at handling these types of situations, of which I have no doubt. Just the same, only so much can be done by the extremely well trained, and as I fall asleep tonight will pray for their safety.

J

I checked the webcam today and was shocked at the rough seas all day. Thank heaven all is OK now.

Yes, I was watching the webcam earlier today also, after Roy pointed out how rough the sea appeared ...but what is the location of the ship now? If on course, she should be fairly close to shore. The pilot should be boarding within hours, and docking in Redhook shortly thereafter (if I am correct on the itinerary?).

Best,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Yes, I was watching the webcam earlier today also, after Roy pointed out how rough the sea appeared ...but what is the location of the ship now? If on course, she should be fairly close to shore. The pilot should be boarding within hours, and docking in Redhook shortly thereafter (if I am correct on the itinerary?).

Best,

Salacia

Salacia, The QM2 is scheduled to arrive in Red Hook,Brooklyn tomorrow Oct.7th that is not a new schedule and to repeat the QM2 is supposed to and is still scheduled to arrive in Brooklyn tomorrow Oct.7th even before this fire happened.Right now the position of the QM2 should be somewhere between Halifax and Boston. Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

Salacia, The QM2 is scheduled to arrive in Red Hook,Brooklyn tomorrow Oct.7th that is not a new schedule and to repeat the QM2 is supposed to and is still scheduled to arrive in Brooklyn tomorrow Oct.7th even before this fire happened.Right now the position of the QM2 should be somewhere between Halifax and Boston. Regards,Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I was mistaken in thinking she was to dock in the early hours of 6 Oct at Redhook Pier (wishfull thinking perhaps). Regards, Salacia

Salacia and everyone else, What I wrote in my last post the QM2 is supposed to arrive in Brooklyn tomorrow.But now according to the QM2 Bridge cam webpage the present position of the QM2 has her still North of Halifax.Here is the link http://www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Mary-2/Bridge-Web-Cam/ and below where the bridge web cam picture is where there is a map of where the QM2 is located.The Blue pin represents the QM2 and the Red pins represents the ports of call that are on her current voyage.And the Blue pin is still located North of Halifax and Halifax which is located in Nova Scotia is the nearest Red pin to The Blue Pin.So either the QM2 arrives in Brooklyn on time or she is delayed by either hours or even by a day.We'll have to wait and see. Regards,Jerry

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

Salacia and everyone else, What I wrote in my last post the QM2 is supposed to arrive in Brooklyn tomorrow.But now according to the QM2 Bridge webpage the present position of the QM2 has her still North of Halifax.Here is the link http://www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Mary-2/Bridge-Web-Cam/ and below where the bridge web cam picture is where there is a map of where the QM2 is located.The Blue pin represents the QM2 and the red pins represents the ports of call that are on her current voyage.And the Blue pin is still located North of Halifax and Halifax is the nearest Red pin to The Blue Pin.So either the QM2 arrives in Brooklyn on time or she is delayed by either hours or even by a day.We'll have to wait and see. Regards,Jerry

Jerry, I'm hoping the current webpage map is inaccurate in its current postion of QM2. Regards, Salacia

Jerry, I'm hoping the current webpage map is inaccurate in its current postion of QM2. Regards, Salacia
Salacia, I agree with you.I also remember reading in a book about the QE2 that in 1976 the QE2 did have a fire in her engine room.Well the fire did not put the QE2 permanently out of service and the QE2 remained in service til 2008 and right now the QE2 is in Dubai and still could sail under her own power.What ever damage if any is done in the QM2 will probably be repaired in her next dry-docking which is next month at a shipyard in Germany. Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

Salacia, I agree with you.I also remember reading in a book about the QE2 that in 1976 the QE2 did have a fire in her engine room.Well the fire did not put the QE2 permanently out of service and the QE2 remained in service til 2008 and right now the QE2 is in Dubai and still could sail under her own power.What ever damage is done in the QM2 will probably be repaired in her next dry-docking which is next month at a shipyard in Germany. Regards,Jerry

Jerry, Yes, I'm sure you're right. If memory serves, there was an incident in the engine room on QM2 (was it last year?): No injuries were reported. And she too sailed to the next port under her own power.

Main thing is that the ship docks safely. Best wishes to all the passengers and crew on board: safe home.

Regards,

Salacia

Jerry, Yes, I'm sure you're right. If memory serves, there was an incident in the engine room on QM2 (was it last year?): No injuries were reported. And she too sailed to the next port under her own power.

Main thing is that the ship docks safely. Best wishes to all the passengers and crew on board: safe home.

Regards,

Salacia

Salacia, Last year it was an explosion and not sure if there was a fire at one of the QM2's electrical boards. Regards,Jerry

That would have been last September 23, 2010 when there was an explosion near one of QM2's main electric switchboard rooms due to a capacitor having failed. Leaking oil sprayed onto high voltage bars, causing a major arc flash event. The explosion blew the steel door to the room out of its frame. The blast also caused serious damage to an adjoining steel door into the main switchboard room, the stiffeners on the bulkhead of the compartment were buckled, and the steel cover plate on a cross-flooding duct was blown out into the main switchboard room.

Edited by Louise D

If she's lost one of her 2 gas turbines, that represents around 20% of the power plant. The only time that all 4 diesel engines and 2 gas turbines would be used simultaneously, would be when max speed is required.

Hopefully the damage is limited and there's been no casualties.

The remaining engines are capable of producing sufficient power for normal speed, so it's quite possible she will be on time.

Is "carbine" in the OP a typo for turbine? I ask this because according to what I've read the turbines are not housed deep in the hull with the diesels but in their own room at the base of the funnel.

Edited by broberts

Salacia: No, just reporting the original schedule (as I'm expecting to board on Friday).

Oh. Friday sailing Transatlantic.

I didn't save it to 'favorites', but I seem to remember someone posting a website that tracked ships at sea.

Cunard will advise you if there's any delay in your Friday departure, won't they?

The local weather forecast for Friday looks really good for your sailaway. Best wishes, Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I do hope that no one is hurt and that the ship and everyone on board is safe and well.

I hope after all that the makes it safe to NYC and over to Southampton, we are due to board on the 16th, we sailed sometime ago on three pods and everything was fine, I am sure QM2 can handle this,