Scare on the QM2 this evening

Kiltboys

My wife and I disembarked this morning from this excellent cruise.

As for the weather, the winds were described to us by the Captain as "Force 11," and a crew member described the seas as higher than 20 feet.

The ship seemed to handle the weather quite well, and luckily for myself and my wife, we did not become ill. We were second seating at dinner that night, and it proceeded normally, just 15 minutes late.

We were very thankful that what was described to us as a "small fire" was contained and as far as we know (but we don't really), there were no injuries.

That being said, I thought the Captain and others did an extremely poor job of keeping us advised of the weather conditions and of exactly what was going on with the fire.

I don't know what was told to first seating diners, but I know that the information given over the loudspeakers that we heard was sketchy, uncomforting, and poor.

While, of course, the first priority was dealing with the problem, the communication (that we heard, at least) was exceedingly poor.

As I started this post however, this (our first Cunard Cruise) was excellent, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, the deficiencies in communication (in my subjective view), notwithstanding.

As for the weather, the winds were described to us by the Captain as "Force 11," and a crew member described the seas as higher than 20 feet.

The ship seemed to handle the weather quite well, and luckily for myself and my wife, we did not become ill. We were second seating at dinner that night, and it proceeded normally, just 15 minutes late.

We were very thankful that what was described to us as a "small fire" was contained and as far as we know (but we don't really), there were no injuries.

That being said, I thought the Captain and others did an extremely poor job of keeping us advised of the weather conditions and of exactly what was going on with the fire.

I don't know what was told to first seating diners, but I know that the information given over the loudspeakers that we heard was sketchy, uncomforting, and poor.

While, of course, the first priority was dealing with the problem, the communication (that we heard, at least) was exceedingly poor.

As I started this post however, this (our first Cunard Cruise) was excellent, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, the deficiencies in communication (in my subjective view), notwithstanding.

Hi Hawaiisloth. Thanks for your post; I'm happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your first Cunard Cruise. Sounds like it was a very memorable crossing for many. If you have time, would you please share more information with us about this voyage?

Regarding announcements over the tannoy, I've often found those announcements rather difficult to hear clearly, depending on where I was on the ship. Where the announcements hard to hear in the dining room (or where ever you were when the announcement about the fire was made)? Also, I understand you found the information given lacking, but what information were you given?

Can you tell us a little more about the storm you encountered...how long were you in the Force 11 storm & what was it like on board? We read news reports that there was a problem with a satellite that resulted in areas of Canada being without some communications including the internet. Was the ship affected by that outtage too?

I hope you don't mind being bombarded with so many questions, but only the folks who were on board are in a position to share what they experienced.

Thanks again,

Salacia

P.S. BTW, I've also been frustrated by poor communication/lack of information on a few occasions in the past while on board QM2.

Edited by Salacia

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise. :)

I am not sure that it is the duty of the captain to share his information with his passengers. I believe it is his responsibility to make sure you get to your destination safely. A ship is not a democracy!

We would have had it to believe that everyone was at their muster stations... :rolleyes:

We had Force 9 (winds? seas?) last September when we followed a hurricane out of New York to Boston. The ship handled it excellently. There was one fire call during a dinner on that cruise but we only knew a bit about it - a cryptic PA call and then senior officers running through Britannia toward the fire. On the QV a crew member was injured and had to be airlifted off the ship just off of Cuba. In that case the Captain gave a very thorough description of when the helicopter would arrive and leave. We were at dinner and had a good view of the arriving and departing helicopter.

...I thought the Captain and others did an extremely poor job of keeping us advised of the weather conditions and of exactly what was going on with the fire...

What exactly would be the frequency and detail of communication that you would describe as adequate? When I've been on QM2 the captain typically makes only one daily announcement - at Noon - when a weather and navigational update is given. Additional announcements are not made unless something in the weather pattern or sea state changes. On the September transatlantic EB we heard that swells would continue to cause the ship to pitch most of the day. Hearing two hours later that we can expect more of the same wouldn't have been useful to me. But maybe for you more updates would have helped you feel satisfied that somebody was minding the store.

What exactly did you need to know about the fire? Webcams of the damage? There was a fire, the emergency response sprang into action, and the crisis was resolved.

Edited by mariepr

Hi Hawaiisloth. Thanks for your post; I'm happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your first Cunard Cruise. Sounds like it was a very memorable crossing for many. If you have time, would you please share more information with us about this voyage?

Regarding announcements over the tannoy, I've often found those announcements rather difficult to hear clearly, depending on where I was on the ship. Where the announcements hard to hear in the dining room (or where ever you were when the announcement about the fire was made)? Also, I understand you found the information given lacking, but what information were you given?

Can you tell us a little more about the storm you encountered...how long were you in the Force 11 storm & what was it like on board? We read news reports that there was a problem with a satellite that resulted in areas of Canada being without some communications including the internet. Was the ship affected by that outtage too?

I hope you don't mind being bombarded with so many questions, but only the folks who were on board are in a position to share what they experienced.

Thanks again,

Salacia

P.S. BTW, I've also been frustrated by poor communication/lack of information on a few occasions in the past while on board QM2.

Salacia,

This was a Brooklyn to Brooklyn cruise. We hit the bad weather after leaving Quebec City. Satellite servie was interrupted for a bit.

The worst of the weather seemed to last maybe 6-8 hours, but was surrounded by less bad, but still significant weather on both ends of the 6-8 hours.

We tried at first dealing with the weather in the Library, but I think being higher up and forward made it worse. So we retired to our deck four sheltered balcony cabin. There was a great deal of pitching and rolling but nothing in our cabin fell down. The most interesting thing for us was when during a pitch or roll, a really giant wave crashed up against the glass doors of our deck four sheltered balcony (no water came in). Not scary for us but pretty interesting. There was huge movement of the boat, back and forth, up and down.

They canceled much of the Entertainment :), as they said dancing would have been unsafe.

So, during the worst of the weather, and the fire, we were in our cabin.

One comment from another poster was:

"I am not sure that it is the duty of the captain to share his information with his passengers. I believe it is his responsibility to make sure you get to your destination safely. A ship is not a democracy!"

It may not be the Captain's duty, but to me, it would have eased minds.

First, I don't believe we received warning of just how bad the weather was going to be. Perhaps the Captain didn't know, but when it hit, no one we talked to was expecting it to be as bad as it was--we certainly didn't. More warning would have been really appreciated.

As for the fire, the first thing we heard were very strange blasts on the whistle or alarm system, the same system that was used during the lifeboat drill. It was heard in our cabin. We didn't know what it was. It wasn't the "head for the lifeboats" sound, but it was something, and we didn't know what. That was a bad start.

Then, there was some cryptic announcement about getting (or returning) animals to the kennel and children to "the zone" just preceeded or followed by instructions to certain fire and engine teams (if I remember correctly). That was quite scary.

The captain came on at some point shortly after the above, told us briefly that there had been a "small" fire (I think in connection with an engine), and that it was "under control" or "out," but he later came back and corrected himself and said there were still embers they were watching.

Some of the announcements were heard in the cabins; some weren't, which made understanding what was going on quite difficult.

To me it was very confusing (the alarm sound over the cabin loudspeakers was the worst, since we had no idea what it meant). And, the fact that certain announcments were in the cabins and certain weren't, made it more difficult, since we never knew if we were missing something. I am quite certain that for those with mobility issues (or for those for whom English was not their first language), it must have been quite scary indeed, especially given the movement of the ship and the seas.

What struck me was given the number of drills, etc., how confused it all sounded in a real situation. [Later that evening, when the cruise director Ray Rouse was praising the response, he kept calling what happenned "the emergency"--he used the term several times.]

I'm very happy we all came through it and the ship handled so well and the "emergency" was dealt with well. But, I came away disappointed with the way communications were made. This could just be my wife and I, however, and others may think communications were great (or perhaps it doesn't matter to them since all turned out well).

And, if the above sounds like it is a confused rendition, I apologize, as it was very confusing to me, as it occurred.

I think all the experts here need to stand down until they have all the facts. For those that have not seen this, here is the MAIB report on the capacitor explosion, which was NOT attributed to a lack of maintenance on the part of Cunard, or P&O if you want to go there. http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/SB4-10.pdf Condensed version is that the equipment designed to monitor the capacitors did not detect any abnormalities up to the time of the failure. What is TRULY disturbing is that this equipment is used throughout the cruise industry and I would guess that after that incident, every line checked out their equipment thoroughly. .......end q.

Amen!.. and I can say with certainty that every ship in Mickey's {{ Carnival Corp. }} barn , regardless of brand , received the full report and notm {{ notice to mariners }} with REQUIRED inspection and action addendums .

On QM2 during a NY-Caribbean cruise (sorry, I don't remember which cruise, but it was in either 2007 or 2008), the captain came over the tanoy before dinner to say that, unavoidably, we were likely to hit some rough seas later in the evening. He asked that passengers secure their belongings as objects unsecured would move about etc. I was grateful for that information because 1). I knew what to expect. 2). although I've not experienced sea sickness, I didn't push my luck and ate and drank very moderately that night. 3).We followed instructions and secured our belongings in our cabin.

Having been forewarned, when I awoke in the middle of the night to hear the waves crashing over our in-hull balcony, I was not taken by surprise. The next morning, the captain once again spoke over the tannoy to say that we had passed the storm (or whatever that particular weather system was called) and should have clear sailing for the rest of the voyage. And while he apologized for the rough ride, he assured passengers that the QM2 was built for the most severe sea conditions.

I believe that is one example of captain communicating well to passengers in clear and concise terms. Just my personal opinion, but I prefer a captain who keeps passengers informed.

Salacia,

This was a Brooklyn to Brooklyn cruise. We hit the bad weather after leaving Quebec City. Satellite servie was interrupted for a bit.

The worst of the weather seemed to last maybe 6-8 hours, but was surrounded by less bad, but still significant weather on both ends of the 6-8 hours.

We tried at first dealing with the weather in the Library, but I think being higher up and forward made it worse. So we retired to our deck four sheltered balcony cabin. There was a great deal of pitching and rolling but nothing in our cabin fell down. The most interesting thing for us was when during a pitch or roll, a really giant wave crashed up against the glass doors of our deck four sheltered balcony (no water came in). Not scary for us but pretty interesting. There was huge movement of the boat, back and forth, up and down.

They canceled much of the Entertainment :), as they said dancing would have been unsafe.

So, during the worst of the weather, and the fire, we were in our cabin.

One comment from another poster was:

"I am not sure that it is the duty of the captain to share his information with his passengers. I believe it is his responsibility to make sure you get to your destination safely. A ship is not a democracy!"

It may not be the Captain's duty, but to me, it would have eased minds.

First, I don't believe we received warning of just how bad the weather was going to be. Perhaps the Captain didn't know, but when it hit, no one we talked to was expecting it to be as bad as it was--we certainly didn't. More warning would have been really appreciated.

As for the fire, the first thing we heard were very strange blasts on the whistle or alarm system, the same system that was used during the lifeboat drill. It was heard in our cabin. We didn't know what it was. It wasn't the "head for the lifeboats" sound, but it was something, and we didn't know what. That was a bad start.

Then, there was some cryptic announcement about getting (or returning) animals to the kennel and children to "the zone" just preceeded or followed by instructions to certain fire and engine teams (if I remember correctly). That was quite scary.

The captain came on at some point shortly after the above, told us briefly that there had been a "small" fire (I think in connection with an engine), and that it was "under control" or "out," but he later came back and corrected himself and said there were still embers they were watching.

Some of the announcements were heard in the cabins; some weren't, which made understanding what was going on quite difficult.

To me it was very confusing (the alarm sound over the cabin loudspeakers was the worst, since we had no idea what it meant). And, the fact that certain announcments were in the cabins and certain weren't, made it more difficult, since we never knew if we were missing something. I am quite certain that for those with mobility issues (or for those for whom English was not their first language), it must have been quite scary indeed, especially given the movement of the ship and the seas.

What struck me was given the number of drills, etc., how confused it all sounded in a real situation. [Later that evening, when the cruise director Ray Rouse was praising the response, he kept calling what happenned "the emergency"--he used the term several times.]

I'm very happy we all came through it and the ship handled so well and the "emergency" was dealt with well. But, I came away disappointed with the way communications were made. This could just be my wife and I, however, and others may think communications were great (or perhaps it doesn't matter to them since all turned out well).

And, if the above sounds like it is a confused rendition, I apologize, as it was very confusing to me, as it occurred.

Thanks Hawaiisloth. I must have been composing my previous post as you were composing yours - it's an interesting comparison as to the way two different captains handled communicating storm conditions to passengers.

You're right, it is darn hard to understand the announcements if they don't come over the speaker in your cabin. I learned that it is possible to hear tannoy announcements over the TV in the cabin if you turn to a certain ships channel (sorry, I don't remember which one). Music is normally played on that channel - which I mute - but the music is interrupted for annoucements.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to tell us of your experience. I complement you and your wife on your composure as well as your fortitude in not allowing those disturbing events to mar your cruise.

Regards,

Salacia

P.S. Someone had commented that there couldn't have been any dogs on board because this wasn't a transatlantic crossing - but I wondered if dogs were indeed allowed because this was a segement of a round trip crossing...or perhaps a crew member was reading a prepared statement,following protocol for that particular emergency code.

Edited by Salacia

As for the fire, the first thing we heard were very strange blasts on the whistle or alarm system, the same system that was used during the lifeboat drill. It was heard in our cabin. We didn't know what it was. It wasn't the "head for the lifeboats" sound, but it was something, and we didn't know what.

On every cruise on the various cruiselines I have taken, it is a point of emphasis at the emergency drill that any alarm other than the passenger call to muster (seven short blasts followed by one long) is meant only for the crew and passengers need not take any action until instructed otherwise. I realize it must have been quite a start to hear it sound inside your cabin, but it is best to just go about your business (weather permitting) and stay out of the crew's way. It may have been for the best that the Captian was deliberately glib--judging from all the rampant speculation, a little knowledge was definitely a dangerous thing.

Edited by fishywood

I understand the current Captain is quite new to passenger ships, having worked for many years on cargo ships. Sounds like he was thrown in the deep end somewhat. I know some captains are better at keeping the passengers informed of what is happening than others.

From my experience, I first take the con., then respond to the emergency and order what I believe is required to save my vessel and all souls under my command and then , only then , brief the persons on board who have no role in the saving my ship/boat but are called guests ................not to make light of the situation , but think about what I just said ............from a Captain who never was licensed above 100 tons [ a maritime license marker ] and ................... never drove anything longer than 60 feet . but I do believe the guidelines for me and the Captain {{{ the Commodore was on leave }}} of the QM2 are about the same ................cut the Capt. some slack here ! ......assume he had his hands full !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is something similar to the airline world...

I have had several "situations" over my flying career, where something out of the ordinary had happened, be it something as simple as a go around, to some other things.

Often, people ask why the Captain did not tell them what was going on, or get angry that no one was there to answer questions etc... But, as with a ship, the foremost actions required, are those to ensure the safe passage of the vessel or flight of the aircraft and ensure that everyone gets to where they are going, or on the ground safely.

I am by no means impugning the feelings or thoughts of hawaiisloth, I know from experience that when things happen out of the ordinary and in situations you are not used to, it is frightening and can be scary... But I do think that like airline Captains, communication comes a way down the list of priorities when something goes wrong.

I am glad you had an enjoyable cruise though...

I thought that I would add our 2 cents and share our experience (we are first time cruisers) and were on the QM2 during the fire & rough seas.

After leaving Quebec the captain came on the loud speaker and shared with the passengers that the previous 2 cruise ships (which had been in port with us and departed prior to us) decided to seek shelter and turned around given the rough forecast. He then informed us that we were on an oceanliner which was built for these conditions and stated that we would sail through these rough conditions.

Maybe the ship can handle it but I dont' think the majority of the passengers were pleased with this decision. It is my belief after talking to numerious crew members who were taking pictures of the rough seas that we experienced waves of 10-11 meters or 30'+. I think that the ship rolled hard throughout our return to NY on day 8 and to a lesser extend on day 9.

Regarding the fire we were dining at first seating with the announcment came. It was startling and scary to hear about 5 announcements in the period of 15 minutes (I think only 1 was from the captain at that time). At no point did they clearly tell us to return to our cabin for further instructions. Everybody was confused as most of the announcements were instructing the crew to report to their fire stations or pet owners to the kennels. I don't think that they knew the scope of the fire in the early moments and quite frankly were terrified at the prospect of launching rescue boats in 30' seas.

I speculate that the rough seas and fire are related. I think the captain was pushing the ship hard through the seas and maybe overloaded the turbine. I have no proof but just my speculation.

I view the 10 day trip as 2 different adventures: The first was 7 days from NY to Quebec and the second was the 3 day return to NY. I loved the first part of the trip and do believe that it exceeded all of our expectations. As far as the last 3 days, I think that it could have been handled better.

I thought that I would add our 2 cents and share our experience (we are first time cruisers) and were on the QM2 during the fire & rough seas.

After leaving Quebec the captain came on the loud speaker and shared with the passengers that the previous 2 cruise ships (which had been in port with us and departed prior to us) decided to seek shelter and turned around given the rough forecast. He then informed us that we were on an oceanliner which was built for these conditions and stated that we would sail through these rough conditions.

Maybe the ship can handle it but I dont' think the majority of the passengers were pleased with this decision. It is my belief after talking to numerious crew members who were taking pictures of the rough seas that we experienced waves of 10-11 meters or 30'+. I think that the ship rolled hard throughout our return to NY on day 8 and to a lesser extend on day 9.

Regarding the fire we were dining at first seating with the announcment came. It was startling and scary to hear about 5 announcements in the period of 15 minutes (I think only 1 was from the captain at that time). At no point did they clearly tell us to return to our cabin for further instructions. Everybody was confused as most of the announcements were instructing the crew to report to their fire stations or pet owners to the kennels. I don't think that they knew the scope of the fire in the early moments and quite frankly were terrified at the prospect of launching rescue boats in 30' seas.

I speculate that the rough seas and fire are related. I think the captain was pushing the ship hard through the seas and maybe overloaded the turbine. I have no proof but just my speculation.

I view the 10 day trip as 2 different adventures: The first was 7 days from NY to Quebec and the second was the 3 day return to NY. I loved the first part of the trip and do believe that it exceeded all of our expectations. As far as the last 3 days, I think that it could have been handled better.

Atwnsw, thanks for sharing your observations. Yikes, this was your first cruise? You both seem to have handled the situation with equanimity -which (just from my personal observation) seems to be a predominate characteristic of most Cunard passengers.

I can understand the concern regarding lowering the tenders (lifeboats) in 30ft waves. (Last November, the captain decided using the tenders to ferry passengers from the ship to Grand Turk was too risky, thus the itinerary was changed for subsequent voyages.)

After the announcements were made, did dinner service continue?

Most importantly, I'm happy that you arrived home safely and in good spirts.

Thanks again & best wishes,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I admit that I was not aboard the QM2 for this cruise.However that most passengers did not agree with the Captain's decision to sail on through these rough seas while the Captains of 2 other Cruise Ships decided to seek shelter in harbors to wait out the storm, You have to remember that the Queen Mary 2 is an Ocean Liner not a Cruise Ship and that the QM2 is built to withstand rough seas like the one she had to sail through a few nights ago. Regards,Jerry

This is something similar to the airline world...

I have had several "situations" over my flying career, where something out of the ordinary had happened, be it something as simple as a go around, to some other things.

Often, people ask why the Captain did not tell them what was going on, or get angry that no one was there to answer questions etc... But, as with a ship, the foremost actions required, are those to ensure the safe passage of the vessel or flight of the aircraft and ensure that everyone gets to where they are going, or on the ground safely.

I am by no means impugning the feelings or thoughts of hawaiisloth, I know from experience that when things happen out of the ordinary and in situations you are not used to, it is frightening and can be scary... But I do think that like airline Captains, communication comes a way down the list of priorities when something goes wrong.

I am glad you had an enjoyable cruise though...

Hi T5LHR. Considering the difference between the speed of an airplane, and the speed of an ocean liner, I believe there is a really big difference in time alloted for course correction and the ablility to inform passengers about what is going on: perhaps that's why some people choose to sail rather than fly? I don't think anyone is asking a captain to drop everything, inform passengers, and then take a vote on what should be done according to the democratic process. -S

Edited by Salacia

Hi T5LHR. Considering the difference between the speed of an airplane, and the speed of an ocean liner, I believe there is a really big difference in time alloted for course correction and the ablility to inform passengers about what is going on: perhaps that's why some people choose to sail rather than fly? I don't think anyone is asking a captain to drop everything, inform passengers, and then take a vote on what should be done according to the democratic process. -S

I think it is a reflection of our society now whereby people expect instant information, play by play as it happens. That is not the role played by the left or right seat in an airplane, nor is it the role of the master of the vessel.

Regarding the two smaller ships who stayed in sheltered waters. Neither ship has the fuel capacity or the horsepower of the QM2 to battle inclement weather. It's interesting that Navy ships head to open waters, not sheltered when heavy seas are forecast.

My peeps are back home from the voyage. While it was scarey at first for a couple of minutes to them, they then relaxed and have commended both the Master and Crew in their handling of the situation. None felt they did not receive adequate information.

Realize, of course, that people all have different comfort levels. What may petrify some understandably, to others it's a blip on the radar screen.

30+ foot seas......been there....and if I had to do it again, I'd want to be back on the QM2 and not some roundbottomed "cruise" ship!

... we were on an oceanliner which was built for these conditions and stated that we would sail through these rough conditions...Maybe the ship can handle it but I dont' think the majority of the passengers were pleased with this decision...

Since you were there, you were in the best position to know what the experience was really like. Had the ship been the QV or QE - cruise ships - then they probably would have returned to port.

Bad weather puts a ship's captain in a lose-lose situation. Sail on and it's rough and very unpleasant for passengers and crew. Seek shelter in a port and hundreds of passengers are PO'd over missed flights because of a late return to New York. While some might enjoy an extra day on the QM2 or in New York many have to get back home to their family and professional responsibilities.

Since you were there, you were in the best position to know what the experience was really like. Had the ship been the QV or QE - cruise ships - then they probably would have returned to port.

Bad weather puts a ship's captain in a lose-lose situation. Sail on and it's rough and very unpleasant for passengers and crew. Seek shelter in a port and hundreds of passengers are PO'd over missed flights because of a late return to New York. While some might enjoy an extra day on the QM2 or in New York many have to get back home to their family and professional responsibilities.

sorry, double post

Edited by Salacia

However, that is not what I was suggesting. When you consider what a Captain of a vessel will be doing when he is A) Navigating his ship through stormy seas and B) dealing with a fire emergency onboard... His priorities will be managing the safe passage of the ship, not necessarily in navigation terms, but securing its safe passage in terms of ability to continue on its way.

I am not suggesting that people would expect the Captain to drop everything and take a democratic vote, and think it is quite unrealistic how you have interpreted my post and implied that to be the case.

However, you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.

Safe sailing.

Edited by T5LHR

The request for pet owners to go to the kennels was (I presume) due to the location of the fire near the kennels (that's where the turbines are) rather than a precursor to a call to abandon ship...

Well.........pets are only carried on transatlantics. Service animals stay with their owners on other voyages. They were reading straight from the manual.

Well.........pets are only carried on transatlantics. Service animals stay with their owners on other voyages. They were reading straight from the manual.

Absolutely true, we have all had experience of these stock answers.

For myself, I do not care which "shell company" a ship belongs, there should be someone on board who in an "emergency" is supposed to "calm the rabble". by communicating with the [passengers.

Passengers could have been asked to "stay wherever they were" so that to hallways would be kept clear. This person could also broadcast that there was no danger to passengers at that time.

What is essential is that the messages are broadcast over the ENTIRE ship. (posters have stated that the broadcast did not reach them in their cabins) The Broadcast should be precise, calm, and easily understoood.

Such procedures would stop the panic producing rumours that flourish in such situations.

Of course it goes without saying that we as passengers should follow these instructions. though given the "I will do as I ******* well please" attitude of some on board (passengers/staff) that maybe in doubt.